Galway Forum

Galway Hurlers Homecoming

(Oldest Posts First)

First of all, Congrats to Galway Hurlers and a very enjoyable time was had by all in Pearse Stadium last night. However in my opinion the County Board & City Council could have done it better. I would have transferred the Team to an Open Top Bus at the docks site where the Funfair is held, just have an area cordoned off team bus drives in, players & management change over to open top top and drive out. Drive up the docks, around by Jurys Hotel , left after the bridge and around by the Claddagh, in by the Prom and up to Pearse Stadium. Can you imagine the amount of people who would have lined that route and how super it would be for the players especially going in by the Prom. Maybe next year that can be considered, Bottom line after 29 years waiting, players & fans deserved an Open Top Bus Parade.

1951andwaiting (Galway) - Posts: 47 - 05/09/2017 09:46:07    2042873

Link

I have to agree with your idea that something different should have taken place despite what was a memorial night in the Stadium, once one finally battled their way through the city to make it there. For me I was an hour getting from Oranmore in as far as Mervue church were I left the car and walked across the city.

It is beyond me why the county board did not make b-line for the racecourse, perfectly situated, easily managed from a traffic perspective and all the car parking one could want. I understand Pearse Stadium is the official grounds of Galway GAA but only by name. Spiritually the home of hurling is in Athenry and Football in Tuam. I am not suggesting Athenry as a more suitable venue for the homecoming but you understand my point.

Traffic in Galway at that hour of the evening is chronic, not to mention bringing another 20,000 people in at rush hour. I'm not being a spoil sport, it was a massive night and once in there well worth all the hassle but as the original poster said an open top bus once the lads hit the city would have helped enormously as the streets were streaming with people making their way to the stadium.

TheFullBack (Galway) - Posts: 110 - 05/09/2017 15:04:49    2043010

Link

Replying To 1951andwaiting:  "First of all, Congrats to Galway Hurlers and a very enjoyable time was had by all in Pearse Stadium last night. However in my opinion the County Board & City Council could have done it better. I would have transferred the Team to an Open Top Bus at the docks site where the Funfair is held, just have an area cordoned off team bus drives in, players & management change over to open top top and drive out. Drive up the docks, around by Jurys Hotel , left after the bridge and around by the Claddagh, in by the Prom and up to Pearse Stadium. Can you imagine the amount of people who would have lined that route and how super it would be for the players especially going in by the Prom. Maybe next year that can be considered, Bottom line after 29 years waiting, players & fans deserved an Open Top Bus Parade."
If it was spilling rain, doubt they'd thank you too much for it.

Triffic (Galway) - Posts: 64 - 05/09/2017 15:07:28    2043013

Link