Galway Forum

Galway football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So is it true the selectors stood down? Kevin should as well. We are a million miles off Mayo

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 26/08/2017 23:07:09    2038367

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "You'd have to give him to #6 jersey to be fair, hard to seem him play anywhere else.

He'd be fair strong under any hail Mary pass as well"
They say Jesus is everywhere don't they, so he could play in all and every position!

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1432 - 27/08/2017 09:07:22    2038460

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "So is it true the selectors stood down? Kevin should as well. We are a million miles off Mayo"
dont think so- they will stick for div 1 now. We beat mayo twice in last two years so we cant be a million miles off....that said mayo are a different animal come august and we are usually out by then

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 27/08/2017 14:16:15    2038596

Link

I wouldn't like to see the result if we played Mayo now...
They have improved dramatically over the course of their marathon campaign.
How are they maintaining their consistency over the past 10 or so years?
What can Galway football learn from Mayos Set up.. ie championship and league format, underage process...etc..
Also they have a belief, a resilience and a never say die attitude that Galway are completely lacking, How do we get this?
Finally Mayo are intelligent footballers, creating chances, understanding their teammates intentions, following and executing gameplans... Galway are not intelligent footballers... Run into blind avenues, not able to anticipate breaking ball... taking shots that are not on...

Jenkins (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 27/08/2017 14:24:02    2038603

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "dont think so- they will stick for div 1 now. We beat mayo twice in last two years so we cant be a million miles off....that said mayo are a different animal come august and we are usually out by then"
This kind of thinking is self defeating .Galway were lucky to beat 14 man Mayo by one point.If Galway played Mayo next Sunday Mayo would win by a point a man.
I like Galway teams but you have to accept you are miles off the pace in football , knuckle down and set about changing it.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 27/08/2017 19:34:57    2038846

Link

Replying To Condorman:  "This kind of thinking is self defeating .Galway were lucky to beat 14 man Mayo by one point.If Galway played Mayo next Sunday Mayo would win by a point a man.
I like Galway teams but you have to accept you are miles off the pace in football , knuckle down and set about changing it."
hypothetical by you, factor in local derby etc........Galway will improve in division 1. The anti Walsh/Galway spewed here is so not helpful to Gaelic. I think Galway will be top 4 sooner than you think. I even think Galway would have made a game of it against the Dubs today, see "yous" later and worry about Mayo for Sam.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1358 - 27/08/2017 20:38:13    2038895

Link

The way the present Galway team is set up the dubs subs would beat them by 10-15 points everyone keeps saying they will come on from playing in division 1 next year they could get some terrible beating if they persist with same tactics

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 431 - 27/08/2017 22:31:38    2038960

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "dont think so- they will stick for div 1 now. We beat mayo twice in last two years so we cant be a million miles off....that said mayo are a different animal come august and we are usually out by then"
Seems to depend on the day you get them. Ros had them on the rack in the drawn game, and yet just 8 days later, Mayo annihilate them without even fielding their top man Keegan. A lot of it appears to be in the head with Mayo. A lot is in the head with Galway too. This year and last, we believed we could live with Mayo, and recently we clearly didn't believe we belonged on the same pitch with Kerry, and yet Mayo 2017 proved their clear superiority over Kerry 2017 in recent weeks. Gavin seems to be a bit afraid of the current surge in Mayo's form, and felt the need to tell the world after today's win that Dublin 'didn't perform' in last year's final, and will be looking to atone next month.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 27/08/2017 23:48:03    2039026

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "hypothetical by you, factor in local derby etc........Galway will improve in division 1. The anti Walsh/Galway spewed here is so not helpful to Gaelic. I think Galway will be top 4 sooner than you think. I even think Galway would have made a game of it against the Dubs today, see "yous" later and worry about Mayo for Sam."
Deluded. Did you even watch the Galway / Kerry game?
They beat us comfortably because we had no belief.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 28/08/2017 00:42:07    2039042

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "Deluded. Did you even watch the Galway / Kerry game?
They beat us comfortably because we had no belief."
Yes I watched it twice, it was a shambles, worse the second time, really depressing. Galway should watch that game before all c'ship matches going forward. Hard to pick the worse sequence but for me the tap wide by Farragher summed up the day but there were plenty of unforced errors all over the place. Galway are much better than this and can only play better in 2018. Sideline performance was really slow, give them one more year. Gaillimh Abu

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1358 - 01/09/2017 14:29:07    2041604

Link

Football in South Galway on up again, Craughwell won U-14 Div 3 Cup and Clarinbridge, Loughrea and Athenry in or won finals at Under 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16. A lot of work being done by Ballers in each club. Maybe the break through is coming with the population in theses area's increasing. Athenry on verge of Senior Football and Clarinbridge, Loughrea and Craughwell could make it into Minor/Junior/Intermediate/Senior football within 10 years. The Ballers have stuck at it in these clubs. Lads from Kerry, Kilconnell, Roscommon, Caltra, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Mayo, Offaly , Galway city flying the Ballers flag.

WesternSeaBoard (Galway) - Posts: 122 - 27/09/2017 17:33:49    2051101

Link

I agree there is lots of good work being done in these clubs at underage by lots of very good people who are genuinely interested in Galway football unfortunately when they reach under 16/ minor level they not getting the backing from there clubs and county board something needs to be done to help whether that is a few of these clubs coming together and get teams out and if need be let them use Loughgeorgeas a base I do know some of the clubs mentioned struggle to get use of there own pitches for football which is not right at all sand like every club all over Galway there are good footballers in these clubs if given a fair chance

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 431 - 27/09/2017 21:29:10    2051164

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "hypothetical by you, factor in local derby etc........Galway will improve in division 1. The anti Walsh/Galway spewed here is so not helpful to Gaelic. I think Galway will be top 4 sooner than you think. I even think Galway would have made a game of it against the Dubs today, see "yous" later and worry about Mayo for Sam."
Can't see us (Galway) been a top 4 team anytime soon tbh huge gulf between Dublin mayo Kerry Tyrone and rest and could be that way for a good while yet ,few teams like Galway Kildare Monaghan etc will improve in next couple of years but not on the level to compete with the big boys

Galwayjoe86 (Galway) - Posts: 258 - 27/09/2017 22:05:59    2051176

Link

The league will be interesting, Galway must survive to build.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1029 - 28/09/2017 10:43:02    2051267

Link

Replying To WesternSeaBoard:  "Football in South Galway on up again, Craughwell won U-14 Div 3 Cup and Clarinbridge, Loughrea and Athenry in or won finals at Under 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16. A lot of work being done by Ballers in each club. Maybe the break through is coming with the population in theses area's increasing. Athenry on verge of Senior Football and Clarinbridge, Loughrea and Craughwell could make it into Minor/Junior/Intermediate/Senior football within 10 years. The Ballers have stuck at it in these clubs. Lads from Kerry, Kilconnell, Roscommon, Caltra, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Mayo, Offaly , Galway city flying the Ballers flag."
Athenry on the verge of senior football? Were they not in a relegation intermediate semi final? I'd be getting your Cooke's, Daly's, Molloy's, McDaid please God if not staying in Oz into the first team next year. Definitely look at the idea of a top professional full time s&c coach, and top GAA coach involved in the senior set up. This is what Dublin and Mayo have done even the hurler's have, it appears to be working

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 264 - 28/09/2017 11:31:41    2051284

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "Athenry on the verge of senior football? Were they not in a relegation intermediate semi final? I'd be getting your Cooke's, Daly's, Molloy's, McDaid please God if not staying in Oz into the first team next year. Definitely look at the idea of a top professional full time s&c coach, and top GAA coach involved in the senior set up. This is what Dublin and Mayo have done even the hurler's have, it appears to be working"
Yeah Athenry were strong a few years back but they are on the wane now I think.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 750 - 29/09/2017 09:23:22    2051582

Link

Replying To Galwayjoe86:  "Can't see us (Galway) been a top 4 team anytime soon tbh huge gulf between Dublin mayo Kerry Tyrone and rest and could be that way for a good while yet ,few teams like Galway Kildare Monaghan etc will improve in next couple of years but not on the level to compete with the big boys"
I wouldn't rate Tyrone up there with Dublin or Kerry. Mayo will come back to us, but then that is f**k all good to us. We need to be stepping forward. Should be a full review of all structures within the county with recommendations made for improvement. And this should happen every 5 years.

We need to get professional in our administration of the game.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1261 - 02/10/2017 13:44:29    2052381

Link

Well one bit of good news for Galway football, is the change of rule regarding the Kick-out. Kicking the ball towards the corner flag will no longer be a option. As ye can see from my handle, I think the goalie should be the man who can drive it furthest from the tee! Now more than ever Steed needs to get a real go during the NFL.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1029 - 03/10/2017 10:02:44    2052622

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "Well one bit of good news for Galway football, is the change of rule regarding the Kick-out. Kicking the ball towards the corner flag will no longer be a option. As ye can see from my handle, I think the goalie should be the man who can drive it furthest from the tee! Now more than ever Steed needs to get a real go during the NFL."
absolutely correct

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1029 - 03/10/2017 10:45:55    2052637

Link