Donegal Forum

Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To panamasam:  "A real beacon of light and positivity on both threads I see rorys. If Bonner gets another year he'll have you in for motivational speaking no doubt. There is absolutely nothing between Donegal and Tyrone. In fact I would agree that Donegal probably have a bit more raw talent especially in attack but Tyrone are stronger in defense. However raw talent doesn't necessarily win you matches as Kerry found out today. You also need mental toughness and a dogged will to win attitude which Tyrone have much like Mayo. Unfortunately this is not something Donegal have been blessed with pre and post McGuiness. When the going gets tough we generally get out battled like days of old. I cannot see that changing under Bonner despite having huge respect for him and his contributions to Donegal football in all facets."
Sure if the clubs want Mc Guinness they have till today to nominate him. If not move on and support the man who gets it whether it bonner or somebody else that's what I'll be doing.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 1090 - 29/08/2021 10:20:18    2375880

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "I want raise the topic of Ryan McHugh again, Ryan has been an automatic starter at wing back for probably 7 years now, I don't think he should be, his performances against the top teams suggest he is now easy to take out of a game, with his opposite number still able to influence matches. I think he should remain a key member of the panel, but is he really an automatic choice when selecting a back six? I don't think so.

Defensively I noticed in recent years that he rarely has the physicality to stop players of the top opposition teams bombing through, and his tackling is not great.
Attacking he can add to the scoreboard and win frees if he gets a run of it, but against most top teams he often disappears and has no impact or influence on these games, and I think this has actually been a hidden factor in our problems in recent years. We have a player that top teams can easily subdue, and we keep playing him.

Eoghan Ban Gallagher
when unleashed can lose his tracker and create chances, he can also defend tightly and is often detailed with man marking duties.
Paul Brennan can be physical defensive, perhaps a little wreckless at times, and can also lose his tracker and break forward, his shooting is not great, but overall he still offers a nice blend.
Caolan Ward is better defensively than Ryan, but is also quite good going forward.
Odhran McFadden Ferry is good defensively, but not great going forward.
Peadar Mogan is brilliant, full of energy and great attacking, but lacking defensively.
Eoin McHugh is good going forward, ok defensively, not really a man marker as we seen against Derry.

Hugh McFadden is covering our half back line to compensate for our wing backs, but to me its obvious that Donegal's core problem is actually the half back line."
Been off for a while there but totally agree with you commodore, even though I think declan will get another chance due to covid19 supposedly disrupting his original 4yrs he's simple not ruthless enough, I believe he has favourites in Ryan and Eoin due to being close to the dad's in his playing career, and it's detrimental to the progression of the team, it's like he moves others to suit the 2 lads, I'm not saying get rid of them but just play them were there strong, in the eyes of other county managers declan is very predictable he needs to change things up now and again.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 62 - 29/08/2021 12:01:52    2375956

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "A real beacon of light and positivity on both threads I see rorys. If Bonner gets another year he'll have you in for motivational speaking no doubt. There is absolutely nothing between Donegal and Tyrone. In fact I would agree that Donegal probably have a bit more raw talent especially in attack but Tyrone are stronger in defense. However raw talent doesn't necessarily win you matches as Kerry found out today. You also need mental toughness and a dogged will to win attitude which Tyrone have much like Mayo. Unfortunately this is not something Donegal have been blessed with pre and post McGuiness. When the going gets tough we generally get out battled like days of old. I cannot see that changing under Bonner despite having huge respect for him and his contributions to Donegal football in all facets."
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Look at how Tyrone defended yesterday and compare it to the Donegal defence nowadays, we have to get back to basics and build from defence again as Jim had us do from 2011, fancy footballers look great in the league, different story in Championship.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1743 - 29/08/2021 12:44:36    2375977

Link

Been off for a while there but totally agree with you commodore, even though I think declan will get another chance due to covid19 supposedly disrupting his original 4yrs he's simple not ruthless enough, I believe he has favourites in Ryan and Eoin due to being close to the dad's in his playing career, and it's detrimental to the progression of the team, it's like he moves others to suit the 2 lads, I'm not saying get rid of them but just play them were there strong, in the eyes of other county managers declan is very predictable he needs to change things up now and again.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 56 - 29/08/2021 12:01:52

The Inter-county game requires more physicality in the half back line now and I suspect our full back line issues haven't been helped by our light weight half back lines in recent seasons, well than and the fact we don't defend tightly (Bit like Kerry, similar problems).

I have been a Ryan McHugh supporter for many years, I have huge respect for him and any other player who commits to the County cause and puts in those long lonely hours before or after work during winter. I was just analyzing were it went wrong for us in recent seasons, and our problems are constantly originating from our defense and specifically when Ryan McHugh is played at Wing back against a team who have players to neutralize his runs and the physicality to steamroll him when the opposition are in attack.

I think he would be more effective at wing-forward in those games, where an opposition player blocking him or fouling him will likely result in frees or black cards, and in a crowded defense it is easier for him to lose his mark in the overlap. Now the problem is that we have a lot of talented half forwards, but it might work better for us to drop one of them for a runner.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 663 - 30/08/2021 09:36:32    2376267

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Look at how Tyrone defended yesterday and compare it to the Donegal defence nowadays, we have to get back to basics and build from defence again as Jim had us do from 2011, fancy footballers look great in the league, different story in Championship."
Kerry and Donegal have similar problems in defense, both seem to be very loose on man marking. This to me isn't simply a lack of defensive talent, its more of a coaching issue.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 663 - 30/08/2021 09:40:54    2376268

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Been off for a while there but totally agree with you commodore, even though I think declan will get another chance due to covid19 supposedly disrupting his original 4yrs he's simple not ruthless enough, I believe he has favourites in Ryan and Eoin due to being close to the dad's in his playing career, and it's detrimental to the progression of the team, it's like he moves others to suit the 2 lads, I'm not saying get rid of them but just play them were there strong, in the eyes of other county managers declan is very predictable he needs to change things up now and again.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 56 - 29/08/2021 12:01:52

The Inter-county game requires more physicality in the half back line now and I suspect our full back line issues haven't been helped by our light weight half back lines in recent seasons, well than and the fact we don't defend tightly (Bit like Kerry, similar problems).

I have been a Ryan McHugh supporter for many years, I have huge respect for him and any other player who commits to the County cause and puts in those long lonely hours before or after work during winter. I was just analyzing were it went wrong for us in recent seasons, and our problems are constantly originating from our defense and specifically when Ryan McHugh is played at Wing back against a team who have players to neutralize his runs and the physicality to steamroll him when the opposition are in attack.

I think he would be more effective at wing-forward in those games, where an opposition player blocking him or fouling him will likely result in frees or black cards, and in a crowded defense it is easier for him to lose his mark in the overlap. Now the problem is that we have a lot of talented half forwards, but it might work better for us to drop one of them for a runner."
Exactly commodore Ryan is far better suited in the forwards and the closer he is to MM the better, he's just constantly getter battered in the nalf back line which must be very disheartening, can't understand why there's isn't more glenties defenders showing for the county as a club theyv the best defence in the county, as I've said already things have got too predictable under declan and for his own sake shake it up a bit.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 62 - 30/08/2021 18:48:01    2376536

Link

Was just thinking, looking at Hennelly for Mayo and Morgan for tyrone being such an asset with long range frees , how come Patton doesn't take long range frees? Seems like he's got pinpoint accuracy and serious range from off the ground.

High_and_wide (Donegal) - Posts: 23 - 10/09/2021 11:29:38    2379285

Link

Replying To High_and_wide:  "Was just thinking, looking at Hennelly for Mayo and Morgan for tyrone being such an asset with long range frees , how come Patton doesn't take long range frees? Seems like he's got pinpoint accuracy and serious range from off the ground."
He takes them for us at club level

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1221 - 10/09/2021 12:00:00    2379295

Link

Replying To High_and_wide:  "Was just thinking, looking at Hennelly for Mayo and Morgan for tyrone being such an asset with long range frees , how come Patton doesn't take long range frees? Seems like he's got pinpoint accuracy and serious range from off the ground."
When we still have Michael there to take them we don't need to be bringing the goalie up to hit them, those keepers score some fancy points but they miss a lot too.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1743 - 10/09/2021 12:12:36    2379298

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "When we still have Michael there to take them we don't need to be bringing the goalie up to hit them, those keepers score some fancy points but they miss a lot too."
Yeah he's got a decent range too of course. Patton prob has an extra 5 or 10 metres though, would be good to have an option if you win a free out beyond the 45 in a game where scores are very hard to come by. Worst case scenario ball goes dead anyway and they've got to win their own kickout. Could be a good option for certain games anyway

High_and_wide (Donegal) - Posts: 23 - 10/09/2021 16:17:17    2379396

Link