Donegal Forum

Club Football 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The county final is a very strange one as there is no form line to trust. Yes NC have dominated the league but kilcar have played no games with their county players. The league could make NC look a little bit better than they are.
This uncertainty and the precedence of previous county finals could mean a very cagey match. I don't mind that to a point while teams suss each other out, though if it's like the '17 one I'd be very disappointed. That ultimately was an awful match to watch.

NC have a county title since and have a better all round team than then. Glenswilly's last hurrah a few years ago targeted the lack of height in the kilcar fb line and NC have now that option with mcguinness and Gallagher up front. Maybe have mcgettigan working off them as well, whether it's structured or breaking ball he can do damage as well.
NC could also target the lack of height at kick out time as well though if kilcar can get the away and get man on man up the field they could hit goals. Although they don't have chrissy mckaigue there is a template for NC to follow to try and keep mcbrearty quiet. He's also not at the same level he was at in 2017. Kilcar will probably concede the NC kickout and rely on their counter attacking game. This is what could give rise to it being depressingly cagey because NC might then might not commit to the attack as much and stalemate ensues. The miserable donegal August weather may also play a factor!

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 449 - 08/08/2021 08:54:09    2368720

Link

Where are tickets for sale?

DLlegends (Donegal) - Posts: 499 - 09/08/2021 06:23:59    2369002

Link

Replying To DLlegends:  "Where are tickets for sale?"
They're not on sale to the general public as capacity is limited to 500.

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/sport/654045/limited-capacity-at-2020-county-final-between-kilcar-and-naomh-conaill.html

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 449 - 09/08/2021 11:50:02    2369062

Link

Unfortunate for us but more so for McGettigan is that he suffered a bad injury last week in training and will be out for a considerable time.

As for match ups I think the main match ups will be Aj/Campbell doubling up Paddy while Ultan or Kevin McGettigan taking McClean. As for the McHughs its hard to know he will closely watch them or will it be more of a collective.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 391 - 09/08/2021 13:08:54    2369092

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Unfortunate for us but more so for McGettigan is that he suffered a bad injury last week in training and will be out for a considerable time.

As for match ups I think the main match ups will be Aj/Campbell doubling up Paddy while Ultan or Kevin McGettigan taking McClean. As for the McHughs its hard to know he will closely watch them or will it be more of a collective."
Hi naomh_conaill_4:. That's bad news. Seems to be far more injuries being picked up in GAA training and in matches this past 2 years. A goal could be a big score in this match a la Murphy in 2016. Best of luck.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 508 - 09/08/2021 20:58:30    2369298

Link

I see the Donegal club champions will have a tough enough draw in the Ulster club.

AIB Ulster GAA Football Senior Club Championship

Prelim (Saturday 20 / Sunday 21 November)

(a) Dún na nGall V Doire

Then if they win that it's the Monaghan champions.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7391 - 10/08/2021 11:22:58    2369455

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "The county final is a very strange one as there is no form line to trust. Yes NC have dominated the league but kilcar have played no games with their county players. The league could make NC look a little bit better than they are.
This uncertainty and the precedence of previous county finals could mean a very cagey match. I don't mind that to a point while teams suss each other out, though if it's like the '17 one I'd be very disappointed. That ultimately was an awful match to watch.

NC have a county title since and have a better all round team than then. Glenswilly's last hurrah a few years ago targeted the lack of height in the kilcar fb line and NC have now that option with mcguinness and Gallagher up front. Maybe have mcgettigan working off them as well, whether it's structured or breaking ball he can do damage as well.
NC could also target the lack of height at kick out time as well though if kilcar can get the away and get man on man up the field they could hit goals. Although they don't have chrissy mckaigue there is a template for NC to follow to try and keep mcbrearty quiet. He's also not at the same level he was at in 2017. Kilcar will probably concede the NC kickout and rely on their counter attacking game. This is what could give rise to it being depressingly cagey because NC might then might not commit to the attack as much and stalemate ensues. The miserable donegal August weather may also play a factor!"
i have been to plenty club games this year and i can tell you now, there is no one that will stop glenties in the final next weekend, also they may leave the bunting up because they will be in the final again in a few months time. It will probably be Kilcar in the final as well in 2021.

Kilcar are a fine footballing side, but there is isn't a team in Donegal that are as organised or as physically fit and developed as glenties at the moment. The Glenties reserves would give most senior sides a good run in a game.
They have a panel of 30+ who could play on any given day for the seniors.

Glenties wont hammer them on the scoreboard, but they will suffocate them, with possession and recycling. It wont be a classic and glenties wont care... they just want to win.

Glenties are a complete changed team to 2017.... i think that's when they really upped their game and now we have the current version of them.

In relation to 2016, i was at that game too, I fully believe that half time cost Kilcar the title that year..... Glenswilly stayed in the dressing room until the shower of rain ended, Kilcar stood out in the rain and the cold getting wet and miserable. It was a mean trick for Glenswilly to pull but those are the small things teams do to win.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 162 - 10/08/2021 12:33:49    2369490

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "i have been to plenty club games this year and i can tell you now, there is no one that will stop glenties in the final next weekend, also they may leave the bunting up because they will be in the final again in a few months time. It will probably be Kilcar in the final as well in 2021.

Kilcar are a fine footballing side, but there is isn't a team in Donegal that are as organised or as physically fit and developed as glenties at the moment. The Glenties reserves would give most senior sides a good run in a game.

Glenties wont hammer them on the scoreboard, but they will suffocate them, with possession and recycling. It wont be a classic and glenties wont care... they just want to win.

Glenties are a complete changed team to 2017.... i think that's when they really upped their game and now we have the current version of them.

In relation to 2016, i was at that game too, I fully believe that half time cost Kilcar the title that year..... Glenswilly stayed in the dressing room until the shower of rain ended, Kilcar stood out in the rain and the cold getting wet and miserable. It was a mean trick for Glenswilly to pull but those are the small things teams do to win."
Think it might have been more down to the fact that Kilcar couldn't deal with big Neil bombing high balls into Murphy no?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7391 - 10/08/2021 15:15:49    2369561

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Think it might have been more down to the fact that Kilcar couldn't deal with big Neil bombing high balls into Murphy no?"
Yea thinking they would go man to man on Murphy didn't help.. Mc gettigan huge loss to n Conal, he's one player I feel is very hard to replace. Still fancy them especially if the weather doesn't improve. Two teams who could meet again if they avoid each other in the 21 final.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 1088 - 10/08/2021 16:32:50    2369600

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Unfortunate for us but more so for McGettigan is that he suffered a bad injury last week in training and will be out for a considerable time.

As for match ups I think the main match ups will be Aj/Campbell doubling up Paddy while Ultan or Kevin McGettigan taking McClean. As for the McHughs its hard to know he will closely watch them or will it be more of a collective."
I'm sorry to hear that as ignoring the 2020 county final he would have loads of games to look forward to playing in the 2021 championship. To have that taken away (by the sounds of it) after the covid challenges of the last year and a half is very unfortunate. Best of luck to him in his recovery.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 449 - 10/08/2021 16:48:20    2369602

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "i have been to plenty club games this year and i can tell you now, there is no one that will stop glenties in the final next weekend, also they may leave the bunting up because they will be in the final again in a few months time. It will probably be Kilcar in the final as well in 2021.

In relation to 2016, i was at that game too, I fully believe that half time cost Kilcar the title that year..... Glenswilly stayed in the dressing room until the shower of rain ended, Kilcar stood out in the rain and the cold getting wet and miserable. It was a mean trick for Glenswilly to pull but those are the small things teams do to win."
Hi KerrymanStuckInDonegal:. No flies on Glenswilly, up to all the tricks.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 508 - 10/08/2021 20:35:58    2369649

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Think it might have been more down to the fact that Kilcar couldn't deal with big Neil bombing high balls into Murphy no?"
That was their game plan, which only got them one goal. But your right that where they did the most damage during the game. But i can tell you that stunt at Half time definitely gave them an edge, and the game was close. I remember the Kilcar boys were wet and cold and miserable, McLaughlin the ref blowing the whistle and no sign of Glenswilly. I asked a county board official at the game what could the ref do, (Could he throw ball in), official said that they will get a fine that's all, whether they are five minutes late or 15 minutes late. Glenswilly were closer to the 15 minutes than the 5...... i think it had a major impact on the second half.....just my opinion.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 162 - 11/08/2021 13:02:25    2369814

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "That was their game plan, which only got them one goal. But your right that where they did the most damage during the game. But i can tell you that stunt at Half time definitely gave them an edge, and the game was close. I remember the Kilcar boys were wet and cold and miserable, McLaughlin the ref blowing the whistle and no sign of Glenswilly. I asked a county board official at the game what could the ref do, (Could he throw ball in), official said that they will get a fine that's all, whether they are five minutes late or 15 minutes late. Glenswilly were closer to the 15 minutes than the 5...... i think it had a major impact on the second half.....just my opinion."
Yeah you could be right. I remember it was a bad aul day that day alright. There have been a few anecdotal tales like that about the Glenswilly boys pulling wee stunts to gain an advantage. I'm not sure if there's any truth to them or not so I'm not going to start posting it here.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7391 - 11/08/2021 14:09:18    2369854

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "That was their game plan, which only got them one goal. But your right that where they did the most damage during the game. But i can tell you that stunt at Half time definitely gave them an edge, and the game was close. I remember the Kilcar boys were wet and cold and miserable, McLaughlin the ref blowing the whistle and no sign of Glenswilly. I asked a county board official at the game what could the ref do, (Could he throw ball in), official said that they will get a fine that's all, whether they are five minutes late or 15 minutes late. Glenswilly were closer to the 15 minutes than the 5...... i think it had a major impact on the second half.....just my opinion."
Glenswilly got another point out of the tactic as well though 1-01 should have been manageable for kilcar. The ultimately only lost by a point so it wouldn't have taken that much for them to have won that game.
In relation to not coming out at half time that kind of stuff is something I find very frustrating and plenty teams try it on. Generally half times are taking much longer that time the 15 mins, I suppose if the punishment was strong enough they'd soon be out on time. Ref gives all teams a 5 minute minute call after 10 mins of half time and if teams aren't out on time they forfeit the game. They would soon be out on time then.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 449 - 11/08/2021 18:12:32    2369926

Link

Leaving Murphy one on one inside was criminal. The ball in was on all game but Glenswilly used it wisely and kicked when it was 100% on. Damage done and too late.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 727 - 11/08/2021 19:13:32    2369946

Link