Mayo Forum

U20s Potential Managers

(Oldest Posts First)

Interested to hear of any potential candidates for the u20s for 2021.

Mango1916 (Mayo) - Posts: 2 - 22/12/2020 00:28:47    2325293

Link

Love to see Andy Moran take the Mayo u 20s this year. Mike Solan has done an incredible job with them. Love to see Ger Cafferkey, Alan Dillon, Seamie o Sea being involved. Important to have a high Calibre Management team in place.

BigJmchalepark (Mayo) - Posts: 26 - 02/01/2021 11:37:49    2325776

Link

I wonder could the Mayo CB convince Rochford to take on the U20 role for a few years. It did a good job with Mayo senior team. They played some good football. The only issue i had was that he did not introduce enough of new players to the panel. But then he had a team / squad that was making all ireland finals so he did not want to mess with it I suppose.
Whoever mayo pick, the manager will have a to be a future senior manager in approx 3 years.
Also should they consider combining the minor and U20 roles?
Or having the minor manager as part of the U20 backroom team?

Giveitago (Mayo) - Posts: 86 - 05/01/2021 14:13:50    2326111

Link

Rochford has been there, done the job good but not good enough, time for new blood to be given a chance.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 67 - 05/01/2021 19:21:00    2326178

Link

I'm going to draw up a list of names for the u20s. What do we think of these candidates.

1. Andy Moran.
2. Declan O' Reilly.
3. Stephen Rochford.
4. Maurice Sheridan.
5.Thomas Morley.
6. Alan Dillon.
7.Ger Cafferkey.
8.David Clarke.
9.Donie Vaughan.
10.John Maughan.
11.Shane Conway.
12.Enda Gilvarry.
13.David Brady.
14.Tom Parsons.
15. Kevin Johnson.
16. Ray Dempsey.
17.Mikey Conroy.
18.Paul Jennings Performance Analysis.
19. Noel Kennelly.
20.James Horan, Ciaran Mc Donald/James Burke seniors and u20s.

BigJmchalepark (Mayo) - Posts: 26 - 05/01/2021 21:00:06    2326206

Link

If Ray Dempsey wants the job he should be given it ,he made a winning team out of
Knockmore, with just one County player ,other Clubs had a number of players on County Team/Panel. Making a team without too many so called Stars on it is what we want.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 67 - 05/01/2021 21:37:09    2326208

Link

Noticed that Paul Towey didn't get into the U20 top 20 players list despite scoring 9 points against Galway, the bulk of them from play.

All the best to Maurice and the U20s. Hard to know our prospects for this year, they seemed very good going into 2020. Unfortunate for our talented team last year seeing Galway go all the way when Mayo had the better of play in their game against the Tribe, but Galway's goal was crucial in getting them to penalties and they went on to perform against Kerry and Dublin so, no begrudgery , they earned their title. Apparently a large proportion of the Galway players will be U20 again in 21, not sure how many of the Mayo lads will be eligible to line out against the AI champions in a couple of month's time? Of the forwards, I think Frank Irwin has another year. No second chances at this level, it'll be a short championship for the loser, so hopefully that won't be our lads for the second year running.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2264 - 21/01/2021 09:56:32    2328275

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "Noticed that Paul Towey didn't get into the U20 top 20 players list despite scoring 9 points against Galway, the bulk of them from play.

All the best to Maurice and the U20s. Hard to know our prospects for this year, they seemed very good going into 2020. Unfortunate for our talented team last year seeing Galway go all the way when Mayo had the better of play in their game against the Tribe, but Galway's goal was crucial in getting them to penalties and they went on to perform against Kerry and Dublin so, no begrudgery , they earned their title. Apparently a large proportion of the Galway players will be U20 again in 21, not sure how many of the Mayo lads will be eligible to line out against the AI champions in a couple of month's time? Of the forwards, I think Frank Irwin has another year. No second chances at this level, it'll be a short championship for the loser, so hopefully that won't be our lads for the second year running."
Why post if you have nothing to say?

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 533 - 21/01/2021 19:36:19    2328381

Link

Replying To ponga:  "Why post if you have nothing to say?"
Ah jeez Ponga (happy 2021 btw!) you're a harsh man! I did ask at least one question which I was hoping people better in the know like your good self might be able to throw some light on. This is a discussion forum after all, and what's the harm in posting good wishes to the new U20 manager... is that not allowed anymore? If it still bothers you and you want to lay down the rules for the coming year (eg. no opinions, no questions, no speculation, no good wishes?) I'll do my best to comply with them, would that be fair? I won't have as many facts as yourself but I can try to rustle up some alternative ones, unless you're thinking of banning these too?

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2264 - 22/01/2021 10:40:55    2328462

Link