Donegal Forum

Leabhar Na Dtorthaí - The Book Of Donegal GAA Facts

(Oldest Posts First)

I just got this book as a present from my parents, and wanted to let other people know about it. It's the most comprehensive collection of stats about Donegal GAA I've ever come across.
The title, Leabhar na dTorthaí, translates as Book of Results, and is written by Fr. Sean Ó Gallchóir, a priest from Gortahork, who is a Donegal GAA historian. This is apparently the eighth edition of this, but I had never come across the previous editions.

There's no stories or narratives in there - it's just pure facts and figures. But it includes things like:
Every Donegal Starting 15, plus subs that came on, in every Donegal Championship game, ever!
A list of every player who has ever appeared in a Championship game for Donegal.
Every Donegal minor and U-21 Championship result.
Every McKenna Cup Final line-up tat Donegal have been involved in.
List of Donegal appearance and scoring leaders
Every Donegal NFL result ever.
List of every county final result, at every level, both men's and women's. I even came across the two county finals I played in at both U-13A and U-14B from the 90s!
Every Donegal result from the Ulster Club Championship, ever.
Every player from Donegal who has won the Sigerson Cup.
Top Scorer for Donegal in every season.
Donegal Awards winners from every season.

I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff, but that gives you a jist, and most of this information is nowhere to be found online.

For a GAA stat nerd like myself, this is a phenomenal book. Thought I'd let the rest of you know about it in case you weren't aware.

Texas (Donegal) - Posts: 163 - 25/10/2020 21:05:53    2301379

Link

Replying To Texas:  "I just got this book as a present from my parents, and wanted to let other people know about it. It's the most comprehensive collection of stats about Donegal GAA I've ever come across.
The title, Leabhar na dTorthaí, translates as Book of Results, and is written by Fr. Sean Ó Gallchóir, a priest from Gortahork, who is a Donegal GAA historian. This is apparently the eighth edition of this, but I had never come across the previous editions.

There's no stories or narratives in there - it's just pure facts and figures. But it includes things like:
Every Donegal Starting 15, plus subs that came on, in every Donegal Championship game, ever!
A list of every player who has ever appeared in a Championship game for Donegal.
Every Donegal minor and U-21 Championship result.
Every McKenna Cup Final line-up tat Donegal have been involved in.
List of Donegal appearance and scoring leaders
Every Donegal NFL result ever.
List of every county final result, at every level, both men's and women's. I even came across the two county finals I played in at both U-13A and U-14B from the 90s!
Every Donegal result from the Ulster Club Championship, ever.
Every player from Donegal who has won the Sigerson Cup.
Top Scorer for Donegal in every season.
Donegal Awards winners from every season.

I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff, but that gives you a jist, and most of this information is nowhere to be found online.

For a GAA stat nerd like myself, this is a phenomenal book. Thought I'd let the rest of you know about it in case you weren't aware."
Thanks for this. If it wasn't for someone like Fr. Sean there would be limited records and it's a credit to him to have the foresight and dedication to record the information. If he didn't do this you'd gave no idea how many times someone played for the county for example.

More generally recording stats is something the gaa don't seem to do well at. Even finding information about points players have scored in the league is not readily available. In a digital age recording information like that should be not be too difficult. Maybe it is recorded centrally but I have never picked it up.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 336 - 26/10/2020 10:15:24    2301496

Link

Where can I get a copy.

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 191 - 27/10/2020 23:26:23    2302309

Link

Replying To ulsterrules:  "Where can I get a copy."
I'm not sure. I assume it would be for sale in some bookshops in Donegal. I haven't seen it anywhere online.
My parents live about half an hour away from Gortahork, so my Dad literally rang up Fr. Seán Ó Gallchóir (they would know each other just to say hello to from various functions and things), and went up and got a copy directly from him - masked and socially distanced, of course!
There have to be easier ways than that. I'll look into it, and post back here if I find out.

Texas (Donegal) - Posts: 163 - 29/10/2020 17:52:41    2302906

Link

Replying To Texas:  "I'm not sure. I assume it would be for sale in some bookshops in Donegal. I haven't seen it anywhere online.
My parents live about half an hour away from Gortahork, so my Dad literally rang up Fr. Seán Ó Gallchóir (they would know each other just to say hello to from various functions and things), and went up and got a copy directly from him - masked and socially distanced, of course!
There have to be easier ways than that. I'll look into it, and post back here if I find out."
Thanks. Stuck in dublin

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 191 - 01/11/2020 10:51:18    2303732

Link