Roscommon Forum

Inter County Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Yondu:  "Cork was seen where they truly are today, unable to back up that smash and grab win against a Kerry team that have to be more embarrassed now.

I'd expect Mayo to now beat Tipperary by a bit to spare they are really lucky to be getting Tipp twice in All-Ireland semi final in 4 years."
Cork flattered to deceive alright, Cavan on the other hand proved their worth today. Two division 1 teams beaten on route to winning Ulster I'm delighted for them a great footballing mad county.

Regardless of what happens in the All Ireland semi finals todays provincial success for Tipp and Cavan will be talked about for many years to come and wins like today is why the provincial championships should never be scrapped.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2760 - 22/11/2020 18:02:36    2313035

Link

Replying To Yondu:  "Cork was seen where they truly are today, unable to back up that smash and grab win against a Kerry team that have to be more embarrassed now.

I'd expect Mayo to now beat Tipperary by a bit to spare they are really lucky to be getting Tipp twice in All-Ireland semi final in 4 years."
They'll play Dublin in the Final.I wouldn't call that luck.!

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1274 - 22/11/2020 18:03:40    2313040

Link

When an understrength Roscommon team beat Cavan 5 weeks ago, who would have thought that they would now be Ulster champions. That was a great day winning promotion to D1 picking up the D2 crown. Unfortunately the year went south after that. After today, I predict a Dublin V Mayo final.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2807 - 22/11/2020 20:25:24    2313354

Link

A bold prediction Jack. If Tomás O'Se predicts the same it would be the kiss of death. He couldn't see past Cork and Donegal winning today.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2516 - 22/11/2020 21:09:12    2313434

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "A bold prediction Jack. If Tomás O'Se predicts the same it would be the kiss of death. He couldn't see past Cork and Donegal winning today."
Neither could anybody else !

michael (Cork) - Posts: 370 - 23/11/2020 13:55:38    2313968

Link

IMO the weather was the main root cause for the shock results this weekend. Its interesting to note that the two games decided by the weather in this covid season were Donegal v Tyrone in Ulster and Cork v Kerry in Munster. We all seem to forget the effect of the weather on those two games and consquently Donegal and Cork came out overrated in our minds. But it takes nothing away from the heroic efforts of gallant Tipp and Cavan on the day. An historic day for them and for all of us neutrals !

michael (Cork) - Posts: 370 - 23/11/2020 14:22:30    2314008

Link

Replying To michael:  "Neither could anybody else !"
No harm to anybody else, Tomas has an awful habit of placing the kiss of death on the team he predicts to win.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2516 - 23/11/2020 15:19:12    2314052

Link

Replying To michael:  "IMO the weather was the main root cause for the shock results this weekend. Its interesting to note that the two games decided by the weather in this covid season were Donegal v Tyrone in Ulster and Cork v Kerry in Munster. We all seem to forget the effect of the weather on those two games and consquently Donegal and Cork came out overrated in our minds. But it takes nothing away from the heroic efforts of gallant Tipp and Cavan on the day. An historic day for them and for all of us neutrals !"
Cork v Kerry was certainly weather influenced. If that match had simliar weather to yesterday Kerry would have won i believe by a bit to spare and Tipperary would have a much bigger hurdle to jump then. Cork on the other hand held no fear for Tipp as they had beaten them at minor, U21 and senior before.

Regardless of the weather I think Donegal would have beaten Tyrone as Tyrone was missing some important players and weren't defending well this year. Cavan did as we did last summer by beating two div 1 teams on route to their provincial success. They had the players, four 4 in a row Ulster U21 titles won 2011 to 2014 including a few wins over Donegal so it was just a matter of management bringing out that belief. As highlighted on the Sunday last night they threw themselves into tackles like their lives depended on it and didn't give Donegal a single second on the ball and the team that wanted it most won.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2760 - 23/11/2020 15:34:07    2314066

Link

Anthony Cunningham kept in charge for at least another 2 years tonight.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2408 - 23/11/2020 21:49:17    2314340

Link