Mayo Forum

Mayo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Pericles:  "Getting back to any level of fitness which puts him in the frame for the county is inspiring stuff Ponga... TP's injury should have ended his footballing days even in these times of miraculous surgery. I'd like to have more faith in young Flynn's temperament... I don't doubt his potential as a footballer."
I agree with you Pericles. Ability is one thing but without the right attitude and temperament you will get nowhere.

Now Flynn is young and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but he has a short fuse and I've seen it in Crossmolina games at times.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10474 - 25/11/2020 19:52:59    2315396

Link

Flynn is going well as an impact sub and I don't think that should change for this year..

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 439 - 26/11/2020 22:02:09    2315777

Link

Best of luck in two weeks lads. Ye are giving us men from the wastelands of Leinster a glimmer of hope and rest assured there will be 30 other counties with ye for the Final. I take a bit of an interest in ye as herself is a proud north mayo woman. Some observations:

* The youth Horan brought in from the 2018 u20 panel are absolutely flying. Hopefully they continue in the same vein and show Dublin no respect.

* the kickout is causing issues for Clarke. When Dublin put on the squeeze he needs the option to go long as well as short. a big man around the middle is badly needed and im not sure who that can be?. O'Shea? Possibly bringing Flynn in as a half forward who plays as a third midfielder could be an option?. Hes a big man but very mobile. I wouldnt mind that temperament statement above. He reminds me of Diarmuid Connolly and should be encouraged to explore the edge. Any match up against this dublin team willl be a gamble and i think hes worth a roll of the dice.

*Is o'Shea enough of a scoring threat for a full forward?. Mayo will need a goal to beat the dubs and i dont see him as a man to get one. Is there another option and let him operate in the middle/half forward line?.

*Defense: I think Mayo will set up differently than Tipp but they will need a real good defensive display to stay in touch.

* Get the ball to Cillian O'Connor as often as possible. In my eyes hes a contender for player of the yr.

Caoimhog88 (Kildare) - Posts: 82 - 07/12/2020 17:07:52    2319864

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "I agree with you Pericles. Ability is one thing but without the right attitude and temperament you will get nowhere.

Now Flynn is young and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but he has a short fuse and I've seen it in Crossmolina games at times."
Several good football have a short fuse. A lot is up to management to get them to control and divert this aggression into their game Flynn is a good player but I do agree his short fuse can not be allowed compromise the team.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 07/12/2020 20:10:12    2319969

Link