Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Have to say that was a very very poor spectacle made somewhat interesting by virtue of a close run finish that could have gone either way, but that is clutching at straws to take much positives from it.

Any plaudits going have to go to the underdog who battled hard but have to be concerned about going over 30mins of the 2nd half without a score from play after McGuinness point within 20secs of the restart.

Gweedore- i'm not quite sure what is going on there. They are playing in fits and starts. These bursts have the capacity to put away any team, and yet when it misfires it misfires badly. The lack of ball that went into Cassidy yesterday was a joke, the inability to get McNaillais into the game baffling. They have stuttered their way through this championship, that is now remarkably the 3rd game which has finished level at the end of 60mins ( Eunans, Bundoran, Glenties) they wont keep getting away with that unless they up their game very quickly.

They seem to be a team playing purposely within themselves? only able to get out of 3rd gear briefly and playing with alot of fear of failure rather than driving on for wins? This is not the Gweedore of last season even though its the same names on the teamsheet.

The replay will again be all about who does it on the day, Glenties will take confidence from matching them, Gweedore can at last say they emerged unbeaten from another poor performance. Only 16pts kicked over the bar by Gweedore in 120+ mins play at McCool Park this month- another 8pt return will not win the next day.

I dont see anyone breaking from the template of play we saw yesterday and the next day the game will be won or lost on who plunders the first goal or who is the first side to go down to 14. Lets just hope for a better spectacle because that was rank rotten yesterday.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 319 - 21/10/2019 11:27:15    2244732

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "You kind of embarrassed yourself with your opening statement - but I'll humour you.

Do u really think 25% of population of donegal lives in letterkenny ?? Where are the other 20 odd thousand people hiding ?!

We have absolutely dominated club football at all levels for the last 20 years and u think we are underachieving??? How much more do u want us to win - seriously ?!

Absolute nonsense about not been able to field teams - Glenfin, Glenswilly for example field 3 adult teams and are among smallest clubs around.

What good players are we loosing that aren't been developed ??? Let's name these 10 your calling out over last 2 years?

You do realize that we have completely re-built our senior team over last few years??

6 players from reserves from last year are starting in seniors this year - we have youngest panel in the senior champ with numerous minors and u21 either current or over last 2 years playing - on what planet is that not developing players????

Which good hungry young player walked away not getting started against Milford ??

Are u in house watching training , going to see all our reserve and senior games and qualified to make call on team selection - No I think we will leave that to the mgr..."
I'm not sure the 40k population number is all that far off, although is a bit too high. The official population is 19,274 in 2016, but my understanding is that is the population within the town limits. Eunan's area covers a lot of area covers a large hinterland, especially to the east of the town. Not sure where all the club boundaries are (a can of worms)

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 245 - 21/10/2019 11:33:06    2244733

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "You kind of embarrassed yourself with your opening statement - but I'll humour you.

Do u really think 25% of population of donegal lives in letterkenny ?? Where are the other 20 odd thousand people hiding ?!

We have absolutely dominated club football at all levels for the last 20 years and u think we are underachieving??? How much more do u want us to win - seriously ?!

Absolute nonsense about not been able to field teams - Glenfin, Glenswilly for example field 3 adult teams and are among smallest clubs around.

What good players are we loosing that aren't been developed ??? Let's name these 10 your calling out over last 2 years?

You do realize that we have completely re-built our senior team over last few years??

6 players from reserves from last year are starting in seniors this year - we have youngest panel in the senior champ with numerous minors and u21 either current or over last 2 years playing - on what planet is that not developing players????

Which good hungry young player walked away not getting started against Milford ??

Are u in house watching training , going to see all our reserve and senior games and qualified to make call on team selection - No I think we will leave that to the mgr..."
There are 20,000 living inside the town boundary. How many more are living outside of the town boundary that qualify to play either for Eunans or the Gaels? You have the luxury therefore of far more players than any other club in the county.
As regards your club and the players that you are loosing because they are not being given a chance to develop, we will start bit by bit. Because I am in helping on the pitch here I get to see a lot of the bigger games in the final stages of the championship. Correct me if I am wrong but Eunans won both the reserves and junior championships last year and the two players who got man of the match for Eunans in both games by a street and a country mile don't play for the club anymore because they weren't getting a fair chance. Would that be correct?
Take the player of the match in the reserves final Niall Hannigan. Again correct me if I am wrong but because of a dispute he hadn't played all year last year and suddenly then appeared for the first time in the championship final where he scored 2-3 or 2-4. Is that correct? And he hasn't played since for the club. Would that be correct? You can put him down as number one!!!
Number two Barry Mc Geehan....... I could be writing until Christmas from what I have been hearing. But just lets say that an awful lot of very good players that clubs like ours would be delighted to have in our ranks have been forced to walk away through sheer frustration from you.

fionmaccumhaill (Donegal) - Posts: 21 - 21/10/2019 11:57:22    2244739

Link

Poor game on a perfect day.

Credit to Glenties for doing what they do best but Gaoith Dobhair looke like a shadow of the team that beat Kilcar.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4985 - 21/10/2019 12:08:57    2244742

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Poor game on a perfect day.

Credit to Glenties for doing what they do best but Gaoith Dobhair looke like a shadow of the team that beat Kilcar."
Any substance to the Paddy McB rumour in a recent post from tr?

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2451 - 21/10/2019 12:37:55    2244752

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Poor game on a perfect day.

Credit to Glenties for doing what they do best but Gaoith Dobhair looke like a shadow of the team that beat Kilcar."
I think Glenties are much tougher opposition than Kilcar, don't be fooled, it was competitive with defences on top,I think Gaoth Dobhair will throw the shackles off the next day, the first goal will be a massive score. if Gaoth Dobhair get 3 or 4 points up Glenties will have a hard time catching them.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1074 - 21/10/2019 12:46:48    2244756

Link

I thought both teams didn't capitalise when they were on top, that's why it was so low scoring and a poor showing. Defences were on top yes, but there were also some very bad wides and poor decision making from both sides as well. Leo McLoone attempted at least 2 shots from ridiculous positions which killed Naomh Conaill attacks. Gaoth Dobhair were rampant in the 2nd half for a good 15/20 minutes but didn't score enough, they really should have gone further ahead than they did.

But I think both teams deserve credit for the resolve they showed. It was a poor game and I don't think Gaoth Dobhair will be as wasteful the next day, whereas I'm not sure how much better Naomh Conaill can play in terms of their attack.

All the best to those taken off injured. I really really hope Gillespie is ok.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1122 - 21/10/2019 12:54:12    2244759

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Any substance to the Paddy McB rumour in a recent post from tr?"
I hope not anyway, we need Paddy playing at his best to compete at the top level.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1074 - 21/10/2019 13:04:19    2244766

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "I'm not sure the 40k population number is all that far off, although is a bit too high. The official population is 19,274 in 2016, but my understanding is that is the population within the town limits. Eunan's area covers a lot of area covers a large hinterland, especially to the east of the town. Not sure where all the club boundaries are (a can of worms)"
Termon are right into the mountain top, Glenswilly are in nearly on top of O'Donnell park as Michael Murphy can attest who can see O'Donnell Park from his home!

Eunans have the town and all out east towards the Derry/Lifford round about but this area is also shared by the Gaels.

They also have half way up towards Drumkeen but there is no population up there beyond a handful

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 319 - 21/10/2019 13:33:09    2244772

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "I hope not anyway, we need Paddy playing at his best to compete at the top level."
rumour is coming from Kilcar apparently

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 522 - 21/10/2019 13:48:51    2244775

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "I thought both teams didn't capitalise when they were on top, that's why it was so low scoring and a poor showing. Defences were on top yes, but there were also some very bad wides and poor decision making from both sides as well. Leo McLoone attempted at least 2 shots from ridiculous positions which killed Naomh Conaill attacks. Gaoth Dobhair were rampant in the 2nd half for a good 15/20 minutes but didn't score enough, they really should have gone further ahead than they did.

But I think both teams deserve credit for the resolve they showed. It was a poor game and I don't think Gaoth Dobhair will be as wasteful the next day, whereas I'm not sure how much better Naomh Conaill can play in terms of their attack.

All the best to those taken off injured. I really really hope Gillespie is ok."
Unfortunately this is true Gillespie and the lad who replaced him both got ACL injuries, very sad news for both. Eamonn McGee supposed to be a doubt for replay too.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 522 - 21/10/2019 13:50:50    2244776

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "Unfortunately this is true Gillespie and the lad who replaced him both got ACL injuries, very sad news for both. Eamonn McGee supposed to be a doubt for replay too."
Word not good about Gillespie I'm hearing. The poor lad has been so unlucky with injuries. Was looking so forward to seeing him in a donegal jersey next year. Mc gee will be there next week he'll cut his holiday short.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 849 - 21/10/2019 14:46:46    2244791

Link

Naomh Conaill seemed to "bully" Gaoth Dobhair yesterday which is strange as it's usually Gaoth Dobhair doing that to opposing teams. Ciaran Thompson was quoted at the press night saying that "they needed to come out swinging from the start" and that's exactly what they did, there was a controlled aggression there from them.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 477 - 21/10/2019 20:14:37    2244856

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Naomh Conaill seemed to "bully" Gaoth Dobhair yesterday which is strange as it's usually Gaoth Dobhair doing that to opposing teams. Ciaran Thompson was quoted at the press night saying that "they needed to come out swinging from the start" and that's exactly what they did, there was a controlled aggression there from them."
Yeah Glenties were well up for it. I thought AJ Gallagher's battle with Cassidy was a good one. He had a good game,
It was disappointing to see Thompson hit the deck when McFadden-Ferry pushed him that time though. Not nice to see.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7069 - 22/10/2019 10:48:28    2244913

Link

Watched the game back last night after watching live on Sunday. Both teams put in a very committed defensive effort which they should be commended on. Glenties got their match ups right and managed to keep Gweedore's main quiet. Both sides were guilty of poor decision making and shot selections. Glentie's struggled to get into dangerous positions where Gweedore missed a few very handy ones. Cian Mulligan had 2 goal chances he would normally bury. Looking forward I still fancy Gweedore. As pointed out already they failed to capitalise on their dominant periods. However I think I might have to reappraise their Ulster chances.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2451 - 23/10/2019 17:21:08    2245292

Link

N conal really put it up to gaoth Dobhair last Sunday. Gillespie will be a loss don't know if Mc fadden the corner back is fit if not it really weakens there defensive options. I still think they'll do it but n conal will be difficult opponents. They have really impressed me this last two games a really good teams who won't shy away from the physicality side of the game.. looking forward to a j Gallagher and Kevin Cassidy part 2.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 849 - 23/10/2019 19:03:58    2245315

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "N conal really put it up to gaoth Dobhair last Sunday. Gillespie will be a loss don't know if Mc fadden the corner back is fit if not it really weakens there defensive options. I still think they'll do it but n conal will be difficult opponents. They have really impressed me this last two games a really good teams who won't shy away from the physicality side of the game.. looking forward to a j Gallagher and Kevin Cassidy part 2."
Hi rorysboys: Reports suggesting both Gillespie and Mc Fadden out for rest of season. I see on twitter Eamonn Mc Gee is in USA this week on holidays and Kevin Cassidy is involved with the Underdogs down in Mayo Saturday night. All that carry-on is hardly the preparation you would want the week of a massive game.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 477 - 24/10/2019 10:55:05    2245398

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi rorysboys: Reports suggesting both Gillespie and Mc Fadden out for rest of season. I see on twitter Eamonn Mc Gee is in USA this week on holidays and Kevin Cassidy is involved with the Underdogs down in Mayo Saturday night. All that carry-on is hardly the preparation you would want the week of a massive game."
Yea totally agree not the ideal preparation for Sunday. Still feel that they have enough to get over the line. One thing that will probably hurt gaoth dobhair this week is people saying that Glenties bullied them which they did. Cassidy the Mc gee etc will be hoping to make sure this won't happen on Sunday that's why I've a feeling that gaoth dobhar will really lift it this week but it has to be controlled aggression if not Naomh conal will be quite capable of winning the game.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 849 - 24/10/2019 12:04:52    2245425

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Yea totally agree not the ideal preparation for Sunday. Still feel that they have enough to get over the line. One thing that will probably hurt gaoth dobhair this week is people saying that Glenties bullied them which they did. Cassidy the Mc gee etc will be hoping to make sure this won't happen on Sunday that's why I've a feeling that gaoth dobhar will really lift it this week but it has to be controlled aggression if not Naomh conal will be quite capable of winning the game."
I don't think the Gaoth Dobhair heads are in the right place this year at all, they are stumbling along, these injuries might not stop them winning the replay but it will hamper them bigtime trying to retain Ulster,
think will win on Sunday by 3 or 4 points.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1074 - 24/10/2019 13:16:21    2245447

Link

I don't know if I would agree with this notion of Glenties bullying Gweedore the last day. Stood up to them yes but bullying - no. From the very start they made it quite clear that there weren't going to be walked on and for the next sixty minutes exchanges were robust. It was good hard championship fare.
Where I would have big fears if I was a Gweedore supporter is that right throughout the championship they haven't really fired on all cylinders at all. Against Eunans they were poor and were lucky to draw. Against St. Michaels at the Bridge again they weren't convincing but did enough. The game versus Kilcar they were superb that day but Kilcar you would have to say rolled over and let them do it. Kilcar had no ball winners, no leaders and when they couldn't win the kickouts put up the white flag. Glenties were never going to do a Kilcar. They set up very defensively and worked off the break. Space was therefore at a premium and easy ball hard to come by. Kick outs were well contested by both teams.
Glenties certainly put a lot of thought into the match up where to watch for example Ciaran Thompson go on Odhran Mc Neilis for the kick outs to be replaced by Eoin Wade in general play.
All to play for.

fionmaccumhaill (Donegal) - Posts: 21 - 24/10/2019 16:48:12    2245525

Link