Down Forum

Bennys dig

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Yes Dunmaguire, 2 Senior All-Ireland's, 1Minor All-Ireland, 1U-21All-Ireland Final, corresponding Ulster Championships, Manager of Ireland (Compromise Rules) and has again proved himself by turning Fermanagh around and keeping them involved in the Championship at least two rounds further than Down, a man whose heart and soul is in Down football and who is respected and highly regarded the length and breadth of the Country but not good enough for the the County Board. Perhaps says it all

FiorDunach (Down) - Posts: 53 - 14/07/2015 18:01:50    1753412

Link

Indeed Fior Dunach,is it True,Pete was asked when he applied for County job again.....what he could bring too the Table,this is a Man who commands enormous Respect across Ulster,and across the Country,his record in St Colemans,Minor,the u 21 Final he was beaten,by a last gasp Goal,when Down were leading by 2pts.
Bring him back,too conduct an in-depth investigation,and act on his recommendations.

dunmaguire (Down) - Posts: 74 - 14/07/2015 21:21:58    1753515

Link

Its being reported here, and elsewhere, that Coulter is considering coming back to the squad in 2016.

Hopefully this is indicative of some common sense straight talking taking place behind the scenes, which is badly wanted.

There is quite a short window of opportunity in the next couple of months to get this sorted out.

I say back McCorry but the addition of Coulter, Gordon, Clarke & others would change the outlook for Dpwn GAA enirely, making targets for 2016 of Div 1 Survival and an Ulster Championship realistic.

spiritof1991 (Down) - Posts: 693 - 16/07/2015 11:01:34    1754143

Link

I really hope benny and jim have spoken already, and benny is not trying to play his cards in the media first as this will not help anybody going forward.
A fit coulter is good enough for this down team as well as marty coming back next year it will be a massive help for jim and players.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 521 - 16/07/2015 13:57:53    1754323

Link

Folks it like this mccorry needs to be told if he is allowed to stay , the condition is that Benny and Dan get a fair crack at being on the squad , also a proper training regime to suit the senior players , if he doesn't agree to this as I have said so many times he has to go ,

topdownfan (Down) - Posts: 555 - 16/07/2015 18:37:49    1754557

Link

If benny and Clarke come back next year there is no point in having mc corry there. The style of football mc corry is trying to apply doesn't suit benny and definitely not Marty Clarke. Get the boys back and ship out mc corry

ciaran08 (Down) - Posts: 168 - 16/07/2015 21:23:37    1754643

Link

Far point , any ideas how to get him out , there's a meeting Monday night and as far as I have heard its a simple yes or no by county board if they want him or not , so get onto your county board rep and put your view to him , trust me I have been rabbiting on at mine past 2 days

topdownfan (Down) - Posts: 555 - 16/07/2015 21:43:24    1754655

Link

The county board is meeting with representatives of all the clubs in Down on Monday night. Every club will have a vote on keeping Jim McCorry or letting him go. If he goes, who do you all want to replace him? Who actually wants the job? I can guess the answers.......Pete McGrath, Tony McAntee.......................

rcss1 (Down) - Posts: 124 - 17/07/2015 08:51:38    1754684

Link

I'm surprised at the number of people calling for Jim McCorry's head. I think we are better keeping him. Benny, Marty, etc, will come back if Jim McCorry's mind is changed about how treats older players or a player like Marty who as a condition that will affect his full-time application to the demands of training. Changes within the County Board and underage training upwards are more pressing. McEntee appeared to want that but the County Board didn't.

ajdoyle78 (Down) - Posts: 520 - 17/07/2015 12:51:00    1754832

Link

Leaving the senior players aside for a minute, McCorry has got us back to Div 1, albeit with a bit of luck and a few fortunate decisions. In the game against Derry the luck wasn't with us, some bad ref decisions (particulalry sending off) and home team tannoy announcer meant we were marginally beaten after an excellent 2nd half. So the crux is we had a disaster against Wexford. Despite what some posters state, we did not have a god given right to beat Wexford, and it was serious disrespect to underestimate them in that way. No doubt we have serious physical failings in the team at present, but McCorry transferred the small team Kilcoo system to the bigger stage to counteract. Got us through the league, but was shown up in the real games. That system will have to change, maybe with the addition of some old/new players, however the manager has to be given the opportunity to do so. He did a lot of experimenting in the league and still managed to get promotion, with a few good finds along the way. I don't have a lot of confidence in Downs Div 1 status next year, however I do believe McCorry has to be given an honest crack of the whip, not an over reaction after one disaster of a game.

Burnsey (Down) - Posts: 559 - 17/07/2015 13:26:44    1754869

Link

I agree with Burnsey. Let the man have a fair crack of the whip. A very poor result against Wexford has doesn't mean people should be calling for his head. I doubt Pete McGrath would come back after the way he was treated by the county board anyway.

Over the last number of years it was wee James who was the problem... favouritism... Blah, blah, blah. Our real problems lie with under-age development and, ultimately, the County Board. We can't rely on St. Colman's, St. Mark's, the abbey et al to be our de facto 'Centre of Excellence' anymore.

peter_venkman (Down) - Posts: 320 - 18/07/2015 08:50:57    1755158

Link

If Mc Corry is voted out,who would take the job?
Mc Guiness ?,think he has enough to do at Celtic,Mc Entee,?,once bitten twice shy.
The Down job has become the Posioned Chalice,who ever gets it,or if Mc Corry stays,it's going to take time.

dunmaguire (Down) - Posts: 74 - 18/07/2015 12:20:40    1755197

Link

peter_venkman
County: Down

1755158 I agree with Burnsey. Let the man have a fair crack of the whip. A very poor result against Wexford has doesn't mean people should be calling for his head. I doubt Pete McGrath would come back after the way he was treated by the county board anyway.

Over the last number of years it was wee James who was the problem... favouritism... Blah, blah, blah. Our real problems lie with under-age development and, ultimately, the County Board. We can't rely on St. Colman's, St. Mark's, the abbey et al to be our de facto 'Centre of Excellence' anymore.

Your dead right here. People have short memories. You could add Paddy O Rourke, Ross Carr and Pete McGrath(at the end of his reign) to that. That being said I think McCorry made a crucial errors in side lining some of the more experienced personnel. He wanted to put his stamp on the team like he had with Kilcoo. However sometimes that is not the answer at county level. It's his first year and I would def give him another year. Next year with the return of some key individuals will help at senior level but as peter said the real problem is at under-age development.

neverafree (Down) - Posts: 456 - 19/07/2015 11:41:07    1755591

Link

So to get our underage devolepment up to speed with the rest of the counties , any suggestions ??

topdownfan (Down) - Posts: 555 - 19/07/2015 12:39:38    1755636

Link

topdownfan
County: Down

1755636 So to get our underage devolepment up to speed with the rest of the counties , any suggestions ??

Just seen your post,

Poacher put a very articulate article together there; I don't always agree with Steven but this makes sense to me.

http://gaeliclife.com/2015/07/steven-poacher-dont-overlook-schools-coaching/

neverafree (Down) - Posts: 456 - 29/07/2015 21:49:51    1761090

Link

yeah good article that guy Poacher do a few good ones on the Gaelic life.

another one for down county football would be the "Blitzes are more than just training" going along the same lines as the other article in this forum
also from the same article the last paragraph is a good. Some managers at all ages should take note of it. we all want to encourage as many players through our clubs as possible right through to senior, it is a major point and would help massively. But sadly some managers and coaches don't get this, They have a negative agenda towards players. #doone

Christy4Down (Down) - Posts: 177 - 30/07/2015 13:07:52    1761189

Link