Donegal Forum

Jim's latest article

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To GaryMc82:  "As for comments about Jim McGuinness in the press this week, I don't think those are fair comments.

Jim McGuinness himself came under tight scrutiny in 2014, as some felt he would fail when Rory and Maxi departed. I would go as far to say Mark McHugh possibly left thinking the team would do nothing without Rory and maybe Maxi, although I may have that wrong.

I read Jim's articles, and feel that rather than trying to heap pressure on Rory, he is giving him hints or tips on area's he should focus on to make the team better. Despite their soured relationship, I suspect Jim wants his Donegal project to succeed for many years to come and would merely like his old No 2 to do better.

One point I disagree with both of them on, is playing Colm McFadden, and giving older players preference in many cases. Donegal currently have multiple layers of talent at all age groups, they have superb players in the senior squad who can't see any Championship game time. Yet Rory played Colm, despite him failing to fire in 2014, and 2015 really showed it was over for him at this level. And what does Jim say? Players like Colm McFadden should get more game time!!!

When Jim McGuinness took over Donegal in late 2010, how many players were over 30? I think he had 1 or maybe 2 in the entire panel. It's time to let go, give some of the new talent a shot, fresh legs, fresh minds. There is no place for sentimental emotional thoughts in football, you play your best 15 at all times, if somebody can no longer cut it, you cut them. It's not simply being ruthless, It's evolution and it keeps younger players interested and believing they can get a place."
good gary fair comments as always thanks

neutral (None) - Posts: 303 - 21/07/2016 13:33:55    1887606

Link

Did any of you read his article this week. It was good to see him giving Gallagher a bit of praise but reading it I couldn't help think that it's a real pitty these 2 men aren't on talking terms. I'm sure Rory would love to bounce a few ideas off Jim this week....

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 03/08/2016 16:02:54    1894882

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "Did any of you read his article this week. It was good to see him giving Gallagher a bit of praise but reading it I couldn't help think that it's a real pitty these 2 men aren't on talking terms. I'm sure Rory would love to bounce a few ideas off Jim this week...."
Completely agree with you it is an awful shame. It is important that if and when Rory does step away that whoever comes in it is important that they are open to communication with Jim if ever needed.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2584 - 03/08/2016 16:21:22    1894903

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "Did any of you read his article this week. It was good to see him giving Gallagher a bit of praise but reading it I couldn't help think that it's a real pitty these 2 men aren't on talking terms. I'm sure Rory would love to bounce a few ideas off Jim this week...."
Agree 100% Mobot .

Fallouts sadly are always imminent when big guns work beside each other .

I have no doubt Rory has a super football brain and for all my giving out - I think he gets a lot right .

I do however feel that when the game is on he just loses the plot too much .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 03/08/2016 17:01:57    1894939

Link