Donegal Forum

Club Leagues 2020

(Oldest Posts First)

I really look forward to the start of the leagues every year more so than the intercounty scene. Unfortunately with the covid-19 epidemic this now has been stopped in its tracks with the announcement of a complete ban til the 29th of March. This I feel is only the beginning, in my view I can't see the leagues commencing at all. Before the all clear is given it could be July. I fully support the decisions being made by the GAA and at government level as health comes first which will protect the most vulnerable in our society. Challenging times ahead for all involved.

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 90 - 14/03/2020 14:14:40    2273801

Link

I think we may have no league at all this year. Hopefully we can contain the virus but realistically that is going to be 2/3 months and that probably optomistic. If we do get back playing in the summer, should we play the championship in a league format? For example, in our senior championship have two groups of 8 and each team have 7 games. The top sides in each division meet in the final.

Finally everybody please stay safe. This will pass if we all act responsible.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1767 - 14/03/2020 15:01:44    2273804

Link

Yeah I'm thinking the leagues will be scrapped for 2020. Best case scenario is that we can play some form of Championship further down the line. I don't have the answers as to what format that might take in the different grades but maybe something new will be trialed given the unique set of circumstances.

Of course, the caveat to all of the above, is that it is rendered of zero relevance if public health is still at risk further on into 2020.

So all we can do is keep abreast of developments, heed the advice given and look after our vulnerable and elderly.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7356 - 16/03/2020 11:59:27    2273968

Link