Donegal Forum

The Super 8'S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Green_Gold:  "The injury list will be the major talking point in the lead up to the Mayo game. We probably wont know who is fit till minutes before kick off.

I really fancy us to win the Mayo match. I thought they looked very sluggish against Meath and were shocking against Kerry. They are basically waiting for this so-called 'final kick in them' game but I just dont think its there anymore. Its nearly 2 years since they have played a good championship match.

I wonder will Rochford get a good reception lol."
Think the injury situation should be ok bar ban obviously. Both teams really need the 2 week break. I too would be pretty confident of winning this as on all known form we are on another level to Mayo this year. But as perfectly put always be wary of a final sting from a dying wasp. Another minor concern for me would be the ref. Mayo supporters might argue differently but I think they have been getting alot in their favour. Between the disgraceful injury time added on to what went on in Croke Park yesterday. Never have I seen 2 more blatant black cards not given on Boyle and then Keegan. The game was probably won anyways but still. Equally as amazing was it was Boyle's first card. If Clarke starts which he probably will I can really see us make hay.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 22/07/2019 22:40:44    2215029

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Think the injury situation should be ok bar ban obviously. Both teams really need the 2 week break. I too would be pretty confident of winning this as on all known form we are on another level to Mayo this year. But as perfectly put always be wary of a final sting from a dying wasp. Another minor concern for me would be the ref. Mayo supporters might argue differently but I think they have been getting alot in their favour. Between the disgraceful injury time added on to what went on in Croke Park yesterday. Never have I seen 2 more blatant black cards not given on Boyle and then Keegan. The game was probably won anyways but still. Equally as amazing was it was Boyle's first card. If Clarke starts which he probably will I can really see us make hay."
Disgraceful amount of injury time again Armagh that should read

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 22/07/2019 23:01:14    2215035

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Think the injury situation should be ok bar ban obviously. Both teams really need the 2 week break. I too would be pretty confident of winning this as on all known form we are on another level to Mayo this year. But as perfectly put always be wary of a final sting from a dying wasp. Another minor concern for me would be the ref. Mayo supporters might argue differently but I think they have been getting alot in their favour. Between the disgraceful injury time added on to what went on in Croke Park yesterday. Never have I seen 2 more blatant black cards not given on Boyle and then Keegan. The game was probably won anyways but still. Equally as amazing was it was Boyle's first card. If Clarke starts which he probably will I can really see us make hay."
Entertaining an all as the game against Kerry was it has to be said that some of our defending was poor with Kerry breaking through tackles far too easily.

I recognise that we were missing Neil & Paddy in the full back line but watching the whole game again last night made for sobering viewing at times.

I can only wonder what JMcG made of it all!!

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 23/07/2019 08:48:09    2215075

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Entertaining an all as the game against Kerry was it has to be said that some of our defending was poor with Kerry breaking through tackles far too easily.

I recognise that we were missing Neil & Paddy in the full back line but watching the whole game again last night made for sobering viewing at times.

I can only wonder what JMcG made of it all!!"
Not had chance to look back at full game yet. In defense of our defenders the movement of the Kerry forwards very difficult to stop. Plus I think injuries certainly effected our match ups. To me I think Odhran McFadden Ferry played with slight niggle which explains why he did not pick up O'Brien.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 23/07/2019 12:14:51    2215198

Link

Odhran McFadden-Ferry is a tight buck. First senior game for Donegal in Croke Park and he absolutely empties a Kerry forward with the first hit he can. Great to see young players coming in with no fear.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7103 - 23/07/2019 16:07:07    2215323

Link

Have seen this mentioned in dispatches across other threads but just wanted to raise it here regardless of the result in Castlebar.

What on earth is going on with the scheduling of matches? Let me list out our season.

- After beating Meath in the Div 2 final we have an 8 week wait to play Fermanagh in the Championship (would have been 9 only for a late push to make the league final)
-From the point where the ball is thrown in against Fermanagh, 28 days later we are lifting the Anglo Celt.
-We then have a 3 week wait to play Meath.
-From the point the ball is thrown in against Meath, we play the entire Super 8s and a scheduled Semi final in 28 days.
-Then a 3 week gap to a scheduled final

A child would not come up with the above. It doesnt benefit players, or supporters, or clubs.

If you had any class of an injury during the Ulster Championship or the Super 8 you are going to miss multiple games, but you could damn near break a leg during the league and be ready for the Championship.

The whole format needs to be torn to shreds and rebuilt away from silly traditions and rituals and designed in such a way that is best for players, supporters and best for clubs.

A farce is going to be played out in Omagh this Sunday with both teams wanting to avoid the Saturday semi final, and to avoid the Saturday semi final you need to lose the game. If this was soccer both teams would field a reserve squad as you have seen even as recently as last years world cup when fringe players were fully used in games that were dead rubber. The GAA would be up in arms if this happened in Omagh, yet they are the ones almost goading this to happen by scheduling a semi final 6 days later. How are you meant to recover from 1 game and prepare properly for another knockout game with basically 2 or 3 days to work with as amatuer players?

We have semi reasonable dry weather in this county from April till September to run matches and we allow 6 days to get ready for an All Ireland Semi. As i said above, a child wouldnt create the schedule. Completely demeans the competition.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 29/07/2019 11:10:04    2218051

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Have seen this mentioned in dispatches across other threads but just wanted to raise it here regardless of the result in Castlebar.

What on earth is going on with the scheduling of matches? Let me list out our season.

- After beating Meath in the Div 2 final we have an 8 week wait to play Fermanagh in the Championship (would have been 9 only for a late push to make the league final)
-From the point where the ball is thrown in against Fermanagh, 28 days later we are lifting the Anglo Celt.
-We then have a 3 week wait to play Meath.
-From the point the ball is thrown in against Meath, we play the entire Super 8s and a scheduled Semi final in 28 days.
-Then a 3 week gap to a scheduled final

A child would not come up with the above. It doesnt benefit players, or supporters, or clubs.

If you had any class of an injury during the Ulster Championship or the Super 8 you are going to miss multiple games, but you could damn near break a leg during the league and be ready for the Championship.

The whole format needs to be torn to shreds and rebuilt away from silly traditions and rituals and designed in such a way that is best for players, supporters and best for clubs.

A farce is going to be played out in Omagh this Sunday with both teams wanting to avoid the Saturday semi final, and to avoid the Saturday semi final you need to lose the game. If this was soccer both teams would field a reserve squad as you have seen even as recently as last years world cup when fringe players were fully used in games that were dead rubber. The GAA would be up in arms if this happened in Omagh, yet they are the ones almost goading this to happen by scheduling a semi final 6 days later. How are you meant to recover from 1 game and prepare properly for another knockout game with basically 2 or 3 days to work with as amatuer players?

We have semi reasonable dry weather in this county from April till September to run matches and we allow 6 days to get ready for an All Ireland Semi. As i said above, a child wouldnt create the schedule. Completely demeans the competition."
Just one question...why do they want to avoid a Saturday night game? If anything I'd have thought the GAA are praying that Dublin win so that they get to play in their usual Saturday night slot.

CharlieM (Donegal) - Posts: 427 - 29/07/2019 15:55:17    2218272

Link

Replying To CharlieM:  "Just one question...why do they want to avoid a Saturday night game? If anything I'd have thought the GAA are praying that Dublin win so that they get to play in their usual Saturday night slot."
Id have thought both teams would have preferred the extra day to prepare for a Sunday semi final when there is going to be no great difference in standard of opposition anyway (Donegal/Kerry/Mayo) very little between those 3 teams only form on a given day.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 30/07/2019 09:08:03    2218586

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Id have thought both teams would have preferred the extra day to prepare for a Sunday semi final when there is going to be no great difference in standard of opposition anyway (Donegal/Kerry/Mayo) very little between those 3 teams only form on a given day."
6 or 7 days - does it make a huge amount of difference?

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 188 - 30/07/2019 12:13:27    2218691

Link

Replying To Al_Maguire:  "6 or 7 days - does it make a huge amount of difference?"
It makes a difference for sure, how big that difference is- difficult to quantify.

In a tight turn around situation where you cannot even get back properly on the training ground to prepare until Tuesday at the earliest- its worth at least 1 extra night on the training ground specific to the opposition as well as an extra day to get over any knocks or fatigue. 1 day might not sound alot- but id be certain the team who have the extra day have the capacity to get that bit more prep done. Put simply you would never chose 6 days over 7 so therein lies the answer.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 31/07/2019 11:48:57    2219047

Link

ManusFromHeaven makes some great points about the scheduling of fixtures. We need a proper fixtures calendar with the games spaced out, at least 2 weeks between games. If we can get a result against Mayo and progress that will be 4 tough championship games in 5 weeks, it allows no recovery for the players and is really expensive on the fans.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 31/07/2019 12:53:26    2219078

Link