Monaghan Forum

Div 1 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Hardcore its far from a short memory I have your comments on going to division II wouldn't be the end of us reminds me of an Ireland winning manager who said something similar in 2013 and Lost the ulster Final and got hammered by Mayo that same year that they went down to division 2 so that comment and your other comment I don't care if we're relegated shows the extent of your Gaa knowledge and one more thing hardcore I'm not just talking about yesterday's game I'm talking about their last 5 or so games when they had basically a full squad.Knowledgeable forward thinking Gaa people move fast with decisions that's why Dublin Kerry Donegal Mayo Cork are all winning the big games

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 02/03/2015 17:27:52    1698448

Link

Listen lads, getting too high and getting too low after wins and losses isn't healthy. We need balance here. We are still in this competiton, we are still here to compete, it's March. Sometimes days like this can galvanise a team. Look at Armagh last year. There will be 15 lads on the pitch next week who are more than capable of winning that game.

I agree with Hardcore, if we use the league to get a fully fit and flying squad for May 24th that's the ultimate goal. We have a huge chance this year and it's important not to take the eye of the ball. Eoin Lennon said it when we won div 3 in 2013, he asked us all to get behind the team and I think that's what we should do now.

I'm proud of this group of players, the dedication they give to the cause and I'll stand by them. Learn the lessons and move on.

I'm also more than happy with our managment team, they've turned things around and given us all something to believe in.

Muineachan Abu

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 02/03/2015 20:35:11    1698516

Link

Well said supermon we need to put in a big performance next sunday any thoughts on what team should play next week v corey needed and manzy

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 02/03/2015 21:30:17    1698546

Link

100% supermon.

hutto (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 02/03/2015 21:34:08    1698548

Link

hi Supermon I don't think hardcore give you permission to comment on this;-). But anyways you both sound like the captain of the Titanic and we all know what happened there
Again I will say it Malachy and the boys has done a lot for Monaghan football but you can keep making excuses. The writing is on the wall make the big decisions now and not when we're back down in division 3.This is a good young Monaghan team with good under age players on the way true and we have the best College Manager in the country who has experience with senior County teams for example Dublin 2012 and Down so let's take full advantage of that. We also have one of the worlds leading authorities in human performance.He has work in the premier league in the Uk and with Dublin in 2012 the year they won the Ireland for the first time in 15 years he Also worked with the Irish rugby team and is now working with the San Francisco 49ers and his name is Fergus Connolly from Scotchtown "CO MONAGHAN" who has always said he would love to work with the Monaghan football team. Then Monahan County Board and some of the posters on this Page HARDCORE/SUPERMON need to lose this "Ah it'd be alright keep the heads down it worked before it will work again it should be fine" ATTITUDE and start thinking like champions

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 03/03/2015 11:50:17    1698631

Link

Haha RawDog thanks for giving us all a good laugh to cheer us up after Sunday, why would we get rid of our manager after 1 bad result in the league in March.
As for your statement that he worked with Dublin in 2012 well what did they do that year win Leinster they do that ever year even I could win Leinster with them, and also he worked with Down what have Down won in resent times.

Pukefootball (Monaghan) - Posts: 377 - 03/03/2015 12:26:22    1698660

Link

OK Rawdog, lets get with reality here. What exactly do you propose? We drop the management team? All because we reach Div 1 and we have a a bad day out against one of the top teams in the country? I'm sorry pressing the panic button is just ridiculous. You might call it a keep the head down attitude, I call it not being RIDICULOUSLY FICKLE.

I'm sorry, your argument lacks any semblance reason, logic or sanity. I really don't think either of the men you mentioned are managment material. Maybe fine in a back room capacity at most, but in my mind neither have cut their teeth and proven themselves at intercounty football management. Given the county teams you mentioned, why haven't they kept them on?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 03/03/2015 13:38:12    1698711

Link

Moyna would have to leave his role as DCU manager if he was manage Monaghan and I can't see that happening. He turned down the Roscommon job in late 2012 because of that, he joined the Down back room team a few weeks later, but not the same responsibility as managing a County team.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2328 - 03/03/2015 14:04:13    1698724

Link

Hi Pukefootball sorry to hear you are having such a miserable day and I'm so glad I could cheer you up. I see you by your commons you have not read all of my posts because if you had you will see that I said let him finish the year out and then let him retire gracefully and the County Board can release a statement thanking him for the great job he and his back room team have done for Monaghan football and wish him all the best in the future. That keeps everybody happy. And then we move on take advantage of what we have in the country at the moment it doesn't come every day in a small country like ours. You would also have seen it's not just about Sunday's game it's a about the last five or so games as I said in my last post this" Jesus leave it alone don't rock the cradle it be alright" Will not win us Sam you got to be ruthless on the Pitch and off the Pitch get in the champions way of thinking that is what is going to win us Sam in the not so distant future. I really hope you feel better soon;-0

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 03/03/2015 14:04:29    1698726

Link

Do either men have any experience playing Gaelic football?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 03/03/2015 14:11:30    1698731

Link

I have to laugh at all this talk about Moyna, he is managing the real Madrid of college football so people need to cop on, even my granny could manage them to success, the fact is O' Rourke is getting as much outa the players as any man could so lets row in behind the team and ensure that we stay in Div 1

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 283 - 03/03/2015 14:29:48    1698740

Link

DCU actually got rid of Moyna and then reinstated him, some weren't happy with his man management

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFkQFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fsport%2Fgaelic-games%2Fgaelic-football%2Fniall-moyna-comes-full-circle-at-dcu-1.2089841&ei=jsn1VPatBcv1avjtgPgE&usg=AFQjCNHTuWz3xjJ004H_hbGL1O8DhnamMQ

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2328 - 03/03/2015 14:51:23    1698749

Link

supermon
County: Monaghan

OK Rawdog, lets get with reality here. What exactly do you propose? We drop the management team? All because we reach Div 1 and we have a a bad day out against one of the top teams in the country? I'm sorry pressing the panic button is just ridiculous. You might call it a keep the head down attitude, I call it not being RIDICULOUSLY FICKLE.

I'm sorry, your argument lacks any semblance reason, logic or sanity. I really don't think either of the men you mentioned are managment material. Maybe fine in a back room capacity at most, but in my mind neither have cut their teeth and proven themselves at intercounty football management. Given the county teams you mentioned, why haven't they kept them on?

Ok supermon I am in reality land you're just not used to hearing forward thinking opinions and your football intelligence is not great because anybody that dismisses the likes of Fergus Connolly and Prof Moyna working together with Monaghan definitely lacks football intelligence Fergus Connlley is world renowned professor Moyna is rated as one of the best if not the best College managers in Ireland at the moment and I made a typing error in one of my last post he was with Dublin in 2011 when they won there first Ireland in 15 years. And yes I do suggest we drop the manager and his team at the end of the year not just because of yesterdays games but for his last five or so results and that is not as you would say RIDICULOUSLY FICKLY but in fact it's forward thinking intelligence thinking ruthless thinking the thinking of champions
And FoolsGold Moyna did turn down the Rosscommon job but he is not from Roscommon he is a true Born and raised Monaghan Gaa man. Both guys said they would love to work with Monaghan Moyna as manager and Connolly on the back room team

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 03/03/2015 15:11:08    1698762

Link

supermon

Do either men have any experience playing Gaelic football?
03/03/2015 14:29:48
mick2007

I have to laugh at all this talk about Moyna, he is managing the real Madrid of college football so people need to cop on, even my granny could manage them to success, the fact is O' Rourke is getting as much outa the players as any man could so lets row in behind the team and ensure that we stay in Div 1

Supermom this has to be one of your best statement so far and has also given me a good laugh
"Does either man have any experience playing Gaelic football". My opinion has changed supermom for Monaghan Manager ;-)
Back in the late 70s Meath brought in a new manager who was actually a underage Hurling manager who had little to no playing time at football that guy went on win several all Ireland's with Meath not to mention Leinster titles and league titles and is probably one of the top five managers ever. Hardcore is not going to be happy with you;-)

And as for this other comment it is even more laughable even Real Madrid needs a Great manager. Did you ever hear the old saying behind every good winning team there's a great manager

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 03/03/2015 15:40:51    1698774

Link

Its always risky giving a manager the benefit of 3/4 years at the helm which O Rourke has to 2017. In GAA, 1 years rolling contracts are the best. You only have to look at Brian Cody. Monaghan will still have a big say in Ulster no doubt but I think people have to be realistic. There are just about a top eight team and no more, Sunday saw a big gap between both teams in terms of strength, running, power and classy forwards a bit like last August.

222 (UK) - Posts: 537 - 03/03/2015 16:57:08    1698821

Link

I have thought long and hard before I posted on last Sundays game. Monaghan for a small county have been punching above our weight for a long time, last Sunday proved we have a panel of 20-25 players. On Sunday I was in a state of dispear watching the last 20 minutes as Mayo toyed with us. But after the dust has settled and putting thing in perspective it was just one of those days. Minus players of the calibre of Walshe,Corey,Hughes and McManus would unsettle bigger teams than Monaghan. We rode our luck at times in the first half but where still in the game until Golloglys red. Then a minute later the wrong O'Shea got black cared. Going in three down at half time was manageable with 15 but not 14. Mayo were arguably the best team in Ireland in 2014. The real blow was the first goal. McAnespie was shoved in the back and then O'Connor block on Ryan led to a goal. Another day it's a free to Monaghan and a black card. 3 minutes later we were down to 13. Mayo would have mauled any other team in the county with two extra men.
The players are also coming to terms with a new system of play that will take time to get used to. I wouldn't be overly worried I saw positives in Kieran Hughes and Daniel McKenna to take out of the game. Come May I won't care about what division we are in. We stayed in division 1 in 2010 with 4 points so no reason we can't do it this time.

The discipline was terrible, it was shameful. The team will be hurting and need our support not silly posters making immature comments

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 03/03/2015 18:37:16    1698878

Link

its not hard to know that rawdog must be a big scotstown man!!

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 283 - 03/03/2015 18:44:45    1698883

Link

I'm sorry Rawdog, if I was able to decipher what it is you are actually saying then I would be in a position to respond. Please take some time to formulate a logical argument.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 03/03/2015 18:50:55    1698885

Link

Bernard Dunne was in the Dublin back room set up last year Rawdog. Maybe he could take over from Malachy.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 03/03/2015 19:02:58    1698893

Link

For God sake........Take a step back and look at the bigger picture Rawdog.........

2013 = Won Division 3,and an Ulster Title with a full fit squad........cheated out of an all ireland semi final place.

2014= Won Division 2 with a full fit squad.....Lost Ulster Final missing Eoin Lennon,Neil McAdam along with Conor McManus and Kieran Hughes playing with injuries that required pain killing injections.

2015= Playing the best teams in the country while missing.......Eoin Lennon,Colin Walshe,Christopher McGunniess,Paudie McKenna,Jack McCarron.....while Conor McManus,Vinny Corey,Darren Hughes,Dick Clerkin have only played bit parts in our first 3 games....

7 of those 9 would be starting on my championship team so you need to realize where we are at the minute.

A fully fit monaghan squad would stay in division 1 handy.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 03/03/2015 19:13:53    1698904

Link