Monaghan Forum

Div 1 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Bit harsh having a go at Jap for not taking last free it suited Conor more to take it although am suprised Beggan was not called upon. Big problem for us yesterday and for the year ahead is our lack of option in the middle and winning primary possession. Finlay had a great game yesterday but to keep relying on him and Dick in the twilight of their career is a weakness. If Darren Hughes is injured we are in serious trouble round the middle. There are some great young players coming through in the backs and forwards but nothing in midfield.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1524 - 09/02/2015 11:13:13    1691567

Link

That was a right good game yesterday. We played well for the most part and only for the excellence of O'Neill we would have taken all the points not just the one that we deserved had that last free gone over. In the first half Ryan Wylie was the star of the show and to think that his man would end up man of the match wasn't foreseen. As for the last free Finlay seemed to be carrying a knock as he walked away from it. Rory didn't seem to be on duty with the frees yesterday and maybe was still carrying a knock from the first half and I think if Conor had to take that one again he would score it 9 out of 10 times. Its a pity that we didn't manage to get the draw.

One major positive from the first 2 games has to be the 2 goals we scored. They were well worked moves and excellent finishes. McAnespies ball into Hughes yesterday was quality and he had a lot to do before making the space to bury it.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 330 - 09/02/2015 11:26:21    1691574

Link

Watched the game again last night on tg4. Jap was excellent yesterday. Got really stuck in around defence and played some great ball out. McAnespie did well too and agree that the ball for Hughes' goal was quality. Thomas Kerr did well when he came on. Would wonder if taking Neil McAdam off was the right call, seeing him in last two games shows how much we missed him last year. Agree that Walshe will also add a lot to our back line. Jinxsy was quieter yesterday than usual. Tyrone result against Mayo leaves it wide open again. We will have it all to do in Castlebar, but should have no fear either. Thought Malachy's point of not gettin too excited after Tyrone and not gettin too down after Cork was a sensible call. A lot lads gettin their first taste of operatin at this level. Hopefully Darren Hughes will be back and the likes of Owen Duffy will be that but sharper. Any word on Chris McGuinness? The experience of playin division one will make us better come summer time. Would be a great achievement to stay up and get another couple of victories

T1000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 09/02/2015 12:34:06    1691608

Link

Important alright not to let heads drop after yesterday. We have a good side definitely top 8 team just need to prove we are top 5/6 which means staying up. I dont see why we should fear playing Mayo in Castlebar or anyone else for that matter. That was a very good Cork side yesterday with an exceptional forward display by O'Neill. They will be up there at the end of the year and its where we should be aiming for as well. Its not about one game or one result anymore those days are gone, thats why Malachy wasnt get carried away last week or too down about yesterday we need to be consistently up there with the big teams to move to next level and that involves targeting each game for two points and looking to finish as high up table as possible.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1524 - 09/02/2015 12:51:03    1691620

Link

Sickend this morning two points threw away,nevermind one......Taught our tackling in the half forward line was awful,stood off their men and let them build up to our 45 untouched,should off stopped then at their own 45.Why let a team walk the ball down to our own 45 is behond me,have we not learned from the Dublin match last year!!!!

Along with this, taking Neil McAdam off cost us this game,we were on top and had momentum at the time plus he was playing well couldnt understand why that change was made.No harm to Dick but he was poor against Tyrone and worse yesterday,i think the step up to Division 1 has caught him out big time.

That was NOT a great Cork team,they have 1 brilliant forward who made us pay with one poor goal and one brilliant goal,the first one should not have happened,number 9 was let walk through our defence untouched and laid off a simple pass to O'Neill

Effort wise we couldnt be faulted.......Referee!! well less said about him the better,he didnt cost us the game, but he seemed to be ok with Cork's presistant fouling without showing any black cards when there was at least 2 offence's.

I could go on all day but i better stop.........Last word, I taught Kieran Hughes looked wrecked after 25 mins midweek games are catching up with him buring the candle at both ends comes to mind....

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 09/02/2015 13:44:06    1691644

Link

Like Hardcore, I was gutted after yesterday's result....but we need to move on.
Two tough away trips to Castlebar and Letterkenny coming up next, but hopefully the 3 week gap will allow the lads good preparation time.
No harm to Neil McAdam but I don't think he is our answer in midfield, I would prefer to maybe see him at CHB ?
We badly missed Darren Hughes in MF yesterday, even though I thought Jap had a good game all through.
A strange game for Ryan Wylie....he was absolutely superb in most of what he did....but the bottom line is that his direct opponent scored 2-1 from play....
It's positive however that we can compete with the top teams and these are the type of games the team needs in preparation for the championship...hopefully we can just pick up enough points to stay up.

Monagael (Monaghan) - Posts: 99 - 09/02/2015 19:53:23    1691857

Link

I wouldn't be that worried by Mayo, they showed a complete inability to deal with a packed defence yesterday. Tyrone got men behind the ball and made the home side kick from distance, a skill in which they are sadly lacking or kick 50/50 ball into the forwards. In relation to the Cork match, it seemed to me that Paul was limping after he handed the ball to Conor. We lost because we turned over easy possession in the last 10 minutes. Kieran Duffy, Stevie G and Mansy all gave up easy ball that lead to scores, any one of those don't happen and we get a result. Also the Cork attack for first goal should have been stopped with a foul at least twice and I think that the ghosts of McCarville, Caulfield, Sherry and Tavey would have cringed at the sight. The full back line were superb but sometimes you just have to bring the man down a la Dessie in the first half. And how does it take 5 minutes and a sidebar to decide Dessie deserved a black card, when it was stone wall. For those who say the ref gave Cork easy frees well Conor and Kieran H both got very soft frees in first half, Conor may have got a bang on the head but he was on his way down before any contact was made and Kieran Hughes was just trying to not get pulled for over holding and got a free in. As for Blayney, whole thing was fantastic and the music choices before the game; "Thin Lizzy" & "Dropkick Murphys" were better than the rubbish they play in Clones or indeed in Ballybay (despite my efforts!) The car parking is an issue but so it is everywhere! And you can't beat a bit of "Hit the diff"!

The Face (Monaghan) - Posts: 890 - 09/02/2015 21:57:55    1691913

Link

Monagael
County: Monaghan

Like Hardcore, I was gutted after yesterday's result....but we need to move on.
Two tough away trips to Castlebar and Letterkenny coming up next, but hopefully the 3 week gap will allow the lads good preparation time.
No harm to Neil McAdam but I don't think he is our answer in midfield, I would prefer to maybe see him at CHB ?
We badly missed Darren Hughes in MF yesterday, even though I thought Jap had a good game all through.
A strange game for Ryan Wylie....he was absolutely superb in most of what he did....but the bottom line is that his direct opponent scored 2-1 from play....
It's positive however that we can compete with the top teams and these are the type of games the team needs in preparation for the championship...hopefully we can just pick up enough points to stay up.

A defender can be excellent for 9 balls out of 10, but all the forward needs is one chance.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 10/02/2015 10:00:55    1691946

Link

Mickey Hart says he is pleased with progress developing his 13 men- behind -the -ball game. Whether anybody will bother turning up to see it in action remains to be seen. Looks like a wolf pack in pursuit of a deer. Mob-ball.

The Monaghan / Cork and Tyrone /Mayo games games yielded 48 points. 27 of these were from frees. The problem for Monaghan is that a lightweight forward line cannot penetrate a physically strong massed defence. This results in a reliance on frees and in particular, reliance on Connor Mc Manus, to both win them and take them.

Monaghan overcame the Donegal massed defence in the Ulster Final in 2013 by shooting points from long range. It appears that now there is little confidence in doing this, players are opting instead to carry the ball into the opposing defence and then looking around for CMcM .

It is essential that the players practice kicking long -range points at every opportunity, preferably with either foot, and that management confine their selections to players who practice and improve their kicking points from a distance. From what I see, only the Hughes brothers, Paul Finlay and Dessie Mone could be relied on in such situations. To continue running the accursed hand passing game into the opposing defence, looking for frees, won't pay in the longer run.

Highcatch (Monaghan) - Posts: 25 - 11/02/2015 19:01:22    1692620

Link

Finally someone who notices we do far to much handpassing for us to lose the ball in attempt of a goal, imagine the amount of points we would get if we took our points in the Ulster Final and the league final vs Donegal

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 703 - 11/02/2015 20:30:52    1692649

Link

Good point alright and its why I could never understand Malachy dropping Jap like he did against Dublin for arguably less talented players. Its one thing being able to scrap etc but a player who can pick a pass and keep posession is worth including. In fairness to Finlay also he always has a go at the posts and is the type of player the traditionalists love. Jack McCarron is a big loss this year in this regard also. A lot boils down to responsibility also and players should be encouraged to have a go even if they get a few wides. Gaelic football if it keeps going the way it has been with handpassing the ball to death will continue to fall behind other sports amongst younger people.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1524 - 12/02/2015 11:17:03    1692783

Link

* Like in the Ulster final and league final vs Donegal

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 703 - 12/02/2015 16:21:40    1692983

Link

What sort of a crowd is travelling to Mayo. I Know a few season ticket holders going. I expect a good crowd from Monaghan is most people here going make the trip.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 328 - 16/02/2015 13:58:48    1694035

Link

muckla
County: UK

What sort of a crowd is travelling to Mayo. I Know a few season ticket holders going. I expect a good crowd from Monaghan is most people here going make the trip.

No idea yet but would be great to get down, also to the Kerry game !, Castlebar right ?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 703 - 16/02/2015 20:07:52    1694213

Link

MonaghanGlory
County: Monaghan

1694213 muckla
County: UK

No idea yet but would be great to get down, also to the Kerry game !, Castlebar right ?

Yea castlebar and then Tralee for the Kerry match. Going to make the weekend out of the two matches.

Any word on Darren Hughes. Think we have a great chance against Mayo but will need Hughes there.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 328 - 17/02/2015 13:10:11    1694337

Link

Personally, if the Cork game showed us anything its our need for a top class midfielder. Neil McAdam is not the answer against big teams like Cork, Mayo etc... Would love to see Darren playing in half forward line but we just cant afford it! Hopefully Eoin Lennon gets back to full fitness before the end of the league to get him back into the swing of things as rustiness will be an issue!! Any word is he doing any training with Latton? Also, good to see Gollogly playing well along with young McAnespie but where is Paudie McKenna? Heard he broke his collarbone?? Any truth in this?

breaking.ball45 (Monaghan) - Posts: 22 - 20/02/2015 14:04:52    1695318

Link

I think we have a good chance against Mayo. Am I right in saying that there was a challenge match in 2013 between both teams that had a few sparks flying?

Would be great to get a win on the road. Both teams will be looking to bounce back after a disappointing day the last day out.

Hopefully Darren Hughes will be available, he was in outstanding form against Tyrone.

Making the trip down myself, would be good to get a few Monaghan heads down.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 23/02/2015 09:38:17    1695866

Link

Looking forward to the trip west this Sunday. We haven't a great recent record against the Mayomen but we are playing well enough to cause them some bother and hopefully take the 2 points on offer. I would hope that Darren Hughes will return to the fold after been badly missed against Cork and his influential performance in the Tyrone match. I'd go with the following

Beggan - R Wylie - D Wylie - Boyle - Mone - Kelly - K Duffy - D Hughes - McAdam - Finlay- Gollogly - McAnespie - Malone - K Hughes - McManus

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 330 - 23/02/2015 10:27:53    1695887

Link

1. Beggan
2. R. Wylie
3. D. Wylie
4. Boyle
5. D Mone
6. N McAdam
7. F Kelly
8. D Hughes
9. P Finlay
10. Kerr
11. Gollogy
12. McAnespie
13. Malone
14. McManus
15. K Hughes

Think finlay was outstanding in the last game and should get a good 55 minutes out of him in Midfield with maybe Kieran Hughes moving out in the last 15 minutes.

Hopefully Darren is fit and well as he will cause a lot of trouble if he gets running at Mayo.

McAdam moving back to CB to tighten up this line with Duffy dropping out as I don't think he is a tight enough marker.

I thought Kerr was very good when he came on the last day and deserves a start and I think him and McAnespie will be good men to track back as the Mayo half backs like to attack. These lads can also turn defence into attack very quickly.

Looking forward to this trip and Supermon you are right I think that challenge match had a lot of sparks flying with a few red cards and Monaghan coming out on top in the end.

Up the farney.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 328 - 23/02/2015 11:15:50    1695902

Link

Going to have to be mpre clinical in front of the posts on Sunday to get a result otherwise were in a relegation battle

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 23/02/2015 21:45:41    1696178

Link