Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Inter-County 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

2019 even when considering the debacle in the Hyde has to be seen as a very good year. This year will be a telling one. I expect us to improve considerably as the players and mentors will now be getting used to eachother and the expectations which will be imposed on them. When we go through our age profile aswell it has to be said we have a perfect mix.

It is said that Donal Wrynn and Darragh Rooney are back on the panel which are 2 huge additions but unfortunately it looks as if Michael McWeeney and Gary Plunkett could be gone be overall it looks as if we have the majority of the players we would want. They are already in the middle of a new gym plan and have been out on the pitch.
I haven't heard but I would love to know if we have got any outside additions this year as I do think we need something like that to bring us on a level or two.
I don't agree with it but the introduction of the attacking mark could be a huge bonus when you look at the make up of some of our forwards.

I'm probably missing a few players but here is what I would go with if I was picking the squad;

Goalkeepers
1. Diarmuid McKiernan
2. Cathal McCrann
3. Brendan Flynn

Defenders
1. Fergal McTague
2. Aidan Flynn
3. Michael McWeeney**
4. Ray Mulvey
5. Shane Quinn
6. Paddy Maguire
7. Conor Reynolds
8. Aidan Flynn
9. Sean McWeeney
10. Shaun Chandler
11. Oisin Madden
12. Jack Gilheany**
13. James Mitchell
14. Oisin McCaffery
15. Matthew Murphy
16. Noel Plunkett

Midfielders
1. Pearce Dolan
2. Conor Cullen
3. Donal Wrynn
4. Aaron Hoare

Attackers
1. Mark Plunkett
2. Ryan O'Rourke
3. Darragh Rooney
4. Evan Sweeney
5. Niall Brady
6. Gary Plunkett**
7. Jack Heslin
8. Keith Beirne
9. Cillian McGloin
10. Sean Flanagan
11. Conor Dolan
12. Ciaran Cullen
13. Caleb Duffy**
14. Shane Moran
15. Niall McGovern
16. Dean McGovern
17. Oisin McLoughlin
18. Riordain O'Rourke
19. Mark Diffley
20. Conor Gaffney

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 159 - 25/10/2019 09:44:59    2245646

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "2019 even when considering the debacle in the Hyde has to be seen as a very good year. This year will be a telling one. I expect us to improve considerably as the players and mentors will now be getting used to eachother and the expectations which will be imposed on them. When we go through our age profile aswell it has to be said we have a perfect mix.

It is said that Donal Wrynn and Darragh Rooney are back on the panel which are 2 huge additions but unfortunately it looks as if Michael McWeeney and Gary Plunkett could be gone be overall it looks as if we have the majority of the players we would want. They are already in the middle of a new gym plan and have been out on the pitch.
I haven't heard but I would love to know if we have got any outside additions this year as I do think we need something like that to bring us on a level or two.
I don't agree with it but the introduction of the attacking mark could be a huge bonus when you look at the make up of some of our forwards.

I'm probably missing a few players but here is what I would go with if I was picking the squad;

Goalkeepers
1. Diarmuid McKiernan
2. Cathal McCrann
3. Brendan Flynn

Defenders
1. Fergal McTague
2. Aidan Flynn
3. Michael McWeeney**
4. Ray Mulvey
5. Shane Quinn
6. Paddy Maguire
7. Conor Reynolds
8. Aidan Flynn
9. Sean McWeeney
10. Shaun Chandler
11. Oisin Madden
12. Jack Gilheany**
13. James Mitchell
14. Oisin McCaffery
15. Matthew Murphy
16. Noel Plunkett

Midfielders
1. Pearce Dolan
2. Conor Cullen
3. Donal Wrynn
4. Aaron Hoare

Attackers
1. Mark Plunkett
2. Ryan O'Rourke
3. Darragh Rooney
4. Evan Sweeney
5. Niall Brady
6. Gary Plunkett**
7. Jack Heslin
8. Keith Beirne
9. Cillian McGloin
10. Sean Flanagan
11. Conor Dolan
12. Ciaran Cullen
13. Caleb Duffy**
14. Shane Moran
15. Niall McGovern
16. Dean McGovern
17. Oisin McLoughlin
18. Riordain O'Rourke
19. Mark Diffley
20. Conor Gaffney"
2019/2020 season is upon us soon. I firmly believe that if Leitrim win 2 matches in Division 3 they will be doing well. To many good teams at that level this year. Derry, Cork, Down, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Tipperary.
I would think the week ones are Louth and Longford. As for Management I don't believe they will bring Leitrim forward. This year it was great to get promoted. Lady luck played a big part in Wicklow and against Limerick. The Wicklow result was massive, thanks to the referee.
As for the Championship same old story, but at least there is a two tier system which will give us extra matches. It will be an interesting year of football and hopefully my prediction will be well of the mark.

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 25/10/2019 17:17:13    2245775

Link

I wasn't in Wicklow but I was in killmallock and there was nothing lucky about our win down there.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 161 - 26/10/2019 09:29:57    2245882

Link

Why is Michael Mc Weeney not available?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 27/10/2019 07:37:33    2246043

Link

I think it's fair to say we have 3 outstanding consistent inter-county players in Mark Plunkett, Ryan O'Rourke and Paddy Maguire.
I've also heard that M.McWeeney is in Australia but there is some hope he will return but I would expect one of those three to be the captains this year or maybe even a joint captaincy between Plunkett and O'Rourke. Plunkett has captained Leitrim at every level and O'Rourke captained Maynooth Sigerson team a few years back which was a huge achievement in hindsight.

Losing Gary Plunkett in particular is a failure on behalf of the management in my eyes. How they handled him throughout the year last year (not just in Croker which was disgraceful). Every club I would suggest has been destroyed by him at one stage or another when they have played the Willies and even with Leitrim he has shown how good he can be. In a county of Leitrim size we need to be getting the best off that type of quality player. My main issue with the manager was how he man managed many of the younger players last year. Hopefully now that some of the dead wood will be gone they will step up.

Saying that if Darragh Rooney finally begins to fulfill his potential I don't think there'll be any regrets with losing the likes of Mulligan etc. Donal Wrynn rejoining Is a huge addition. He is much criticized but there's no doubt he is a leader and a huge man which we lacked in the big games last year.

We need a full back which I think Fergal McTague can fill and then we need to sort out who will partner Pearce Dolan in Midfield and then decide who will be Centre back and Centre forward.
I am interested to see any new additions or some of last years U20s stepping up. Ciaran Cullen is the outstanding player from the grade and has the pace, skill and bravery to make a real impact at senior inter-county level but he might need a year to develop physically as he is very light.

We will also need the likes of Cillian McGloin, Conor Cullen and Jack Heslin to become more consistent and really push on as they all have undoubted talent to break into the team if they really apply themselves. Jack Gilheany being away for university until February is disappointing but there is some talk that they are going to try juggle both which I think is the right idea.

Even though the challenge is tougher I am excited about the potential in this team if they really push themselves. Never have we had such depth in our forward unit.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 27/10/2019 11:07:42    2246065

Link

Will Keith Beirne be back in 2020? Heard a rumour he won't but obviously that might not be true

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 28/10/2019 09:53:04    2246237

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "2019 even when considering the debacle in the Hyde has to be seen as a very good year. This year will be a telling one. I expect us to improve considerably as the players and mentors will now be getting used to eachother and the expectations which will be imposed on them. When we go through our age profile aswell it has to be said we have a perfect mix.

Goalkeepers
1. Diarmuid McKiernan
2. Cathal McCrann
3. Brendan Flynn

Defenders
1. Fergal McTague
2. Aidan Flynn
3. Michael McWeeney**
4. Ray Mulvey
5. Shane Quinn
6. Paddy Maguire
7. Conor Reynolds
8. Aidan Flynn
9. Sean McWeeney
10. Shaun Chandler
11. Oisin Madden
12. Jack Gilheany**
13. James Mitchell
14. Oisin McCaffery
15. Matthew Murphy
16. Noel Plunkett

Midfielders
1. Pearce Dolan
2. Conor Cullen
3. Donal Wrynn
4. Aaron Hoare

Attackers
1. Mark Plunkett
2. Ryan O'Rourke
3. Darragh Rooney
4. Evan Sweeney
5. Niall Brady
6. Gary Plunkett**
7. Jack Heslin
8. Keith Beirne
9. Cillian McGloin
10. Sean Flanagan
11. Conor Dolan
12. Ciaran Cullen
13. Caleb Duffy**
14. Shane Moran
15. Niall McGovern
16. Dean McGovern
17. Oisin McLoughlin
18. Riordain O'Rourke
19. Mark Diffley
20. Conor Gaffney"
That list reads lovely but it probably a bit too unrealistic in terms of how many will make themselves available to Terry Hyland.

Massive games there in Division 3 you'd imagine they will have to target the Louth & Longford games regardless of whether they are at home or not.

I don't think 2 wins will be enough to keep us up. When you consider Derry are going up with us and Carlow & Sligo came down, Offaly only stayed up on score difference and Derry are miles better than either Carlow or Sligo.

5 points mightn't even be enough.

But given Connacht is a non starter with Mayo first up, retaining Division 3 status has to be our only priority for the year.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 328 - 28/10/2019 10:50:38    2246248

Link

A bit early but my team for div 3 would be

1. McCrann
2. McWeeney
3. Wrynn
4. Maguire
5. Quinn
6. M.Plunkett
7. Mulvey
8. Dolan
9. S.Moran
10. Heslin
11. D. McGovern
12. D. Rooney
13. Ryan O rourke
14. Keith Bernie
15. Conor Dolan

Players unlucky to miss out Nicholas McWeeny, Sweeney, G Plunkett, J Gilheaney, C cullen, C Renyolds, there was at least 3-4 players that played majority of games last year for leitrim that weren't good enough.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 203 - 29/10/2019 18:45:32    2246510

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Will Keith Beirne be back in 2020? Heard a rumour he won't but obviously that might not be true"
Would he be welcomed back after trying to join us last year? Cant imagine too many of the Leitrim panel were that happy with him trying to abandon ship and join another county

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 501 - 31/10/2019 10:24:08    2246730

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Would he be welcomed back after trying to join us last year? Cant imagine too many of the Leitrim panel were that happy with him trying to abandon ship and join another county"
He's already back in the loop according to reports, some not very happy about it at all..

Father_Thread (Leitrim) - Posts: 1 - 31/10/2019 10:38:21    2246736

Link

Replying To Father_Thread:  "He's already back in the loop according to reports, some not very happy about it at all.."
Didnt think they would be. A good player though who Leitrim will need in D3 next year.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 501 - 31/10/2019 15:56:35    2246837

Link

Yes a good player which leitrim need to have a chance of staying in div 3. I seen over the years lots of players get chance after chance with leitrim remember free the south leitrim 4. How many chances did they get? While I don't agree with what keith Beirne did or supposedly did if he's good enough for us and "now" wants to play with leitrim then I don't have any issue with it. i don't think many supporters will mind when he kicks a few scores in div 3

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 203 - 31/10/2019 17:20:35    2246856

Link

To have any chance of competing in Division 3 we are going to have to have a lot more pace and power in our team along with being a lot more efficient when taking our chances. We are going to have to clog up the middle and play on the break a lot of the time. Donal Wrynn returning should be a huge help with this. We can't afford to have slow play or passengers like we did at times last year. We need to break the lines more instead of some of the lateral play last year. Our kick out strategy needs to improve aswell. When we came under pressure in the big games last year it seemed as if Mark Plunkett was the only one showing and teams just doubled up on him otherwise we played short which meant we had to run the entire length of the field and we did not have the pace or power to be effective at this. Donal Wrynn in his last few games with the county two years ago was really stepping up in this respect so it should help along with Pearce Dolan developing and getting stronger.

As had been said before by others I also struggle to fully decide on who should be in our main positions of Full back, Centre back and one of the Midfield positions. This is a major concern as they should be mainstays in a serious team. One of the issues here is the Mark Plunkett is more than capable at no 6 and in midfield. I just hope he isn't messed around like Donal Wrynn has been for years. I would actually like to see him on the half forward line as he is a brilliant passer and would be a perfect out ball for kick outs along with his attacking abilities. However, he has been starting for DCU Sigerson team at 6 which is a phenomenal achievement considering the talent they have at their disposal. Could Wrynn play here? If we got the much talked about Quinn or Guckian from Dublin clubs it would solve this problem straight away. Any chance of this? Or dare I suggest Paul Brennan? Every year when we struggle at 6 it's more of a disgrace what was allowed to happen.

A two man full forward line with O'Rourke and Rooney could be deadly with Shane Moran or Dean McGovern switching in and out from 14. The introduction of the mark in my eyes will make sure we play a big man at 14 I would guess.

Paddy Maguire could play 6 but we need him to mark the best attacker on the opposing team whomever that may be. Hopefully McTague will be developed more at 3 this year after being messed around in the Hyde as he has huge potential as he has power pace and can be nasty and that is what we need. Especially as I said teams will probably play a big man at 14. Michael McWeeneys high standards fell back a small bit last year but it would be a huge boost if he came back in.

Hopefully a few bolters make an impact like Conor Reynolds and Evan Sweeney last year. Ciaran and Conor Cullen, Sean Flanagan and Caleb Duffy could be the ones. We really need McGloin and Heslin to really stand up and be counted as they have real speed that can help us transition from defense to attack and break down opposing teams.

On the Keith Beirne issue I was as annoyed as anyone with what seemed to be happening but he was having a tough year personally which has to be taken into account. He has represented Leitrim at all ages from a young age and if he is willing to do so again in 2020 I will be more than happy to see it. We at times struggled at free taking so he could easily force his way into the team if he gets himself to county level S&C standard.

I think our Junior team could be a real help this year if it is used smartly to blood a lot of these players and provide competition.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 02/11/2019 13:35:43    2247219

Link

Replying To LeitrimWay:  "To have any chance of competing in Division 3 we are going to have to have a lot more pace and power in our team along with being a lot more efficient when taking our chances. We are going to have to clog up the middle and play on the break a lot of the time. Donal Wrynn returning should be a huge help with this. We can't afford to have slow play or passengers like we did at times last year. We need to break the lines more instead of some of the lateral play last year. Our kick out strategy needs to improve aswell. When we came under pressure in the big games last year it seemed as if Mark Plunkett was the only one showing and teams just doubled up on him otherwise we played short which meant we had to run the entire length of the field and we did not have the pace or power to be effective at this. Donal Wrynn in his last few games with the county two years ago was really stepping up in this respect so it should help along with Pearce Dolan developing and getting stronger.

As had been said before by others I also struggle to fully decide on who should be in our main positions of Full back, Centre back and one of the Midfield positions. This is a major concern as they should be mainstays in a serious team. One of the issues here is the Mark Plunkett is more than capable at no 6 and in midfield. I just hope he isn't messed around like Donal Wrynn has been for years. I would actually like to see him on the half forward line as he is a brilliant passer and would be a perfect out ball for kick outs along with his attacking abilities. However, he has been starting for DCU Sigerson team at 6 which is a phenomenal achievement considering the talent they have at their disposal. Could Wrynn play here? If we got the much talked about Quinn or Guckian from Dublin clubs it would solve this problem straight away. Any chance of this? Or dare I suggest Paul Brennan? Every year when we struggle at 6 it's more of a disgrace what was allowed to happen.

A two man full forward line with O'Rourke and Rooney could be deadly with Shane Moran or Dean McGovern switching in and out from 14. The introduction of the mark in my eyes will make sure we play a big man at 14 I would guess.

Paddy Maguire could play 6 but we need him to mark the best attacker on the opposing team whomever that may be. Hopefully McTague will be developed more at 3 this year after being messed around in the Hyde as he has huge potential as he has power pace and can be nasty and that is what we need. Especially as I said teams will probably play a big man at 14. Michael McWeeneys high standards fell back a small bit last year but it would be a huge boost if he came back in.

Hopefully a few bolters make an impact like Conor Reynolds and Evan Sweeney last year. Ciaran and Conor Cullen, Sean Flanagan and Caleb Duffy could be the ones. We really need McGloin and Heslin to really stand up and be counted as they have real speed that can help us transition from defense to attack and break down opposing teams.

On the Keith Beirne issue I was as annoyed as anyone with what seemed to be happening but he was having a tough year personally which has to be taken into account. He has represented Leitrim at all ages from a young age and if he is willing to do so again in 2020 I will be more than happy to see it. We at times struggled at free taking so he could easily force his way into the team if he gets himself to county level S&C standard.

I think our Junior team could be a real help this year if it is used smartly to blood a lot of these players and provide competition."
In reading through the various posts re best Championship team and suggestions for Leitrim squad I am surprised nobody included Conor Dolan. He was consistently good in the Championship & Man of the Match against Ballintubber. Were any of you at any of these matches? Also in assessing our future in Div 3 where is the pessimism coming from? We have the most settled squad in nearly s decade who deservedly won promotion despite the myth generated by some posters that we were 'lucky' to win in Wicklow & Limerick. They were battling performances with the Limerick match a stand out. Leitrim traditionally play well against stronger counties (apart from The Rossies (but sinn scèal eile). I have no fear for for a Leitrim squad bursting with talent and 2 years of experience together. I predict we will more than hold our own in Div 3 . Remember in the last four years we have played Longford (draw),Offaly(win),Down(win),Louth(win).Should have beaten Derry in Croker.Tipp in transition. As for Cork ,they will cause problems for all teams in Division 3.
I would concede nothing ahead of not having even played a game. The return of Donal Wrynne,Darragh Rooney ,Niall McGovern and the possibility of one or two from the U20's further adds to my view that 2020 will be a great year for Leitrim football.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 80 - 16/11/2019 16:22:18    2249875

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "In reading through the various posts re best Championship team and suggestions for Leitrim squad I am surprised nobody included Conor Dolan. He was consistently good in the Championship & Man of the Match against Ballintubber. Were any of you at any of these matches? Also in assessing our future in Div 3 where is the pessimism coming from? We have the most settled squad in nearly s decade who deservedly won promotion despite the myth generated by some posters that we were 'lucky' to win in Wicklow & Limerick. They were battling performances with the Limerick match a stand out. Leitrim traditionally play well against stronger counties (apart from The Rossies (but sinn scèal eile). I have no fear for for a Leitrim squad bursting with talent and 2 years of experience together. I predict we will more than hold our own in Div 3 . Remember in the last four years we have played Longford (draw),Offaly(win),Down(win),Louth(win).Should have beaten Derry in Croker.Tipp in transition. As for Cork ,they will cause problems for all teams in Division 3.
I would concede nothing ahead of not having even played a game. The return of Donal Wrynne,Darragh Rooney ,Niall McGovern and the possibility of one or two from the U20's further adds to my view that 2020 will be a great year for Leitrim football."
I would agree with a lot of what you just said.

Our S&C should be improved this year also which will make a massive difference. What worries me is that we don't have a settled starting 15 especially when it comes to the main positions at fullback, Centre back, midfield, Centre forward and full forward. You could make arguments for any amount of different players in these positions and Terry was chopping and changing them all of last year. That's even before we talk about our goalkeeper.

But I really think we will stay up. Obviously we may suffer a little bit of pain in some games but there are games that we can target just to insure survival which would be a huge achievement. Think of the experience this will be for our players. Especially at their age. They will learn so much.

From what I know the likes of Oisin McLoughlin, Caleb Duffy, Riordain O'Rourke, Mark Diffley, Shaun Chandler and Aaron Hoare have been called up from the U20s.

Donal Wrynn, Keith Beirne and Darragh Rooney are back in. Conor Farell from St. Marys is also in there at the moment. Jack Gilheany is away with University until February or so but it is expected he will be in then. Michael McWeeneys future is still up in the air. I haven't heard that Niall McGovern is in but he could well be.

However Conor Cullen and Gary Plunkett are gone. Both are a big loss in my eyes.

From watching a lot of club and county football last year the most glaring omission is the youngest Cullen. He may be light but he is the player in the county that I think could go on to have the greatest impact if coached properly especially when he fills out.

Even though I don't agree with how they are implementing the Tier Two championship we could have a good crack at it if we build some momentum during the league.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 159 - 17/11/2019 05:34:52    2249947

Link

The fact that we will most likely be playing in a meaningless B championship in the summer and that this competition was championed by the powers that be in Leitrim football according to President Horan is very sad. What clubs sanctioned Leitrim representative to ask for this competition?

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 18/11/2019 18:03:20    2250211

Link

Replying To Stooker:  "The fact that we will most likely be playing in a meaningless B championship in the summer and that this competition was championed by the powers that be in Leitrim football according to President Horan is very sad. What clubs sanctioned Leitrim representative to ask for this competition?"
I'd take wining a "B" all Ireland over getting a tanking in connacht and maybe one qualifier any day of the year.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 161 - 20/11/2019 20:03:24    2250576

Link

Replying To moesyzlack:  "I'd take wining a "B" all Ireland over getting a tanking in connacht and maybe one qualifier any day of the year."
You might, but I'd like to see a vote from the current senior panel and see what they think. You think we should pull out of Connacht championship and straight into this Horan cup?

Stooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 21/11/2019 09:42:32    2250617

Link

Replying To Stooker:  "You might, but I'd like to see a vote from the current senior panel and see what they think. You think we should pull out of Connacht championship and straight into this Horan cup?"
I wouldn't be giving current players a vote on what direction the GAA should be going. The turnover of players of players in Div 3/4 is high so makes no sense in giving them power. The dog on the street knows what's wrong and right with the GAA and people in power don't want too much change.

williesboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 97 - 21/11/2019 13:15:41    2250670

Link

Replying To Stooker:  "You might, but I'd like to see a vote from the current senior panel and see what they think. You think we should pull out of Connacht championship and straight into this Horan cup?"
I say let's take the league serious like last year,retain Div 3 status,give Connacht a rattle but focus on getting a decent run in the B competition and possibly try winning it.

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 161 - 22/11/2019 14:34:51    2250879

Link