Donegal Forum

OUR BEST TEAM

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To HuddHastings:  "As an outsider looking in...
Surely Jason McGee gets onto any strongest Donegal starting 15, the lad is class any time i have seen him.

Paul Brennan at centerback definitely the standout weak link as far as i can see
Very strong team otherwise, lots of scoring power"
Harsh picking one player out. Brennan has plenty of positive attributes and gives it 100% every game. Great player.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 28/10/2020 14:20:11    2302496

Link

I would guess that Carr or O'Baoill will come in for McKelvey.Langan or McGee will replace Mogan and McBrearty will come in for Gallen Questions are 1 ,Did Carr and O'Baoill just lose form or were they injured and missed some training. 2 Are Langan and McGee up to speed yet for championship. 3 Might they hold McBrearty back for impact as the game opens up.He is good at that.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 28/10/2020 14:24:58    2302498

Link

Replying To HuddHastings:  "As an outsider looking in...
Surely Jason McGee gets onto any strongest Donegal starting 15, the lad is class any time i have seen him.

Paul Brennan at centerback definitely the standout weak link as far as i can see
Very strong team otherwise, lots of scoring power"
Mc gee has very little football played all year. If he had he would be a definite starter in my eyes. Fantastic player has it all,can field , score and very athletic. I wouldn't say a bad word about Paul Brennan. I watched him a lot this last few years a really strong passionate player who always gives 100 per cent maybe plays on the edge a bit too much. This management team seems to like him I would say he'll pick up mattie Donnelly.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 28/10/2020 15:45:13    2302536

Link

Replying To gunman:  "I would guess that Carr or O'Baoill will come in for McKelvey.Langan or McGee will replace Mogan and McBrearty will come in for Gallen Questions are 1 ,Did Carr and O'Baoill just lose form or were they injured and missed some training. 2 Are Langan and McGee up to speed yet for championship. 3 Might they hold McBrearty back for impact as the game opens up.He is good at that."
Hi gunman: Who is Carr?

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 28/10/2020 15:45:25    2302537

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi gunman: Who is Carr?"
The Glenfin lad?

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 28/10/2020 16:22:27    2302549

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "The Glenfin lad?"
Doubt it.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 28/10/2020 16:34:28    2302554

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Doubt it."
I'm guessing he means Ward.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 28/10/2020 17:05:33    2302570

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "I'm guessing he means Ward."
The lockdowm must be getting to me.I did indeed mean Caolan Ward.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 28/10/2020 19:09:22    2302605

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "I think Eoghan Ban gets more freedom from corner back. You stick him half back and tell him to go forward and he'll be man marked. He's great in the corner in the sense that his pace can break the high press and get Donegal motoring on the forward foot."
I agree completely with this, he's such a balanced runner with a very tidy solo and is a great player to get the ball out against the high press. I also think that of the full back back line he's the license to be most free so and McGee followed by mcmenamin will play furthest back. I'm not sure though that he is fully back to his brilliant best from before his injury.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 28/10/2020 20:38:32    2302642

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Harsh picking one player out. Brennan has plenty of positive attributes and gives it 100% every game. Great player."
Brennan is a very consistent player in the half-back line, and has put in exceptional performances, particularly in Ulster, since coming into the fray 3 years ago. Changed his style of play to fit the needs of the team. If Brennan is the weak link, then the team must be pretty damn good.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 28/10/2020 22:25:39    2302681

Link

What is the story with Kieran Gillespie? Is he injured?

argael (Donegal) - Posts: 132 - 29/10/2020 13:29:48    2302823

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "Brennan is a very consistent player in the half-back line, and has put in exceptional performances, particularly in Ulster, since coming into the fray 3 years ago. Changed his style of play to fit the needs of the team. If Brennan is the weak link, then the team must be pretty damn good."
Brennan has put in some decent performances in Ulster over the past couple of years but it's fair to say that he hasn't been as effective outside of the province against the better teams.

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 325 - 29/10/2020 13:41:25    2302824

Link

Replying To greatpoint:  "Brennan has put in some decent performances in Ulster over the past couple of years but it's fair to say that he hasn't been as effective outside of the province against the better teams."
The championship matches Brennan has started in the All Ireland Series in the last two seasons were the win v Roscommon 2018, the loss v Dublin 2018, the win v Meath 2019.

The games he didn't start were the loss v Tyrone 2018, the loss v Mayo 2019, draw v Kerry 2019.

I'm not sure if it is fair to say he hasn't been as effective against the better teams as much as he hasn't been utilised as much against the better teams. Certainly in 2018 many questioned the decision to leave him out of the 15 v Tyrone.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 30/10/2020 11:28:30    2303027

Link

I would go for this starting team.

Patton

McMenamin
McGee
Eoghan Ban

Ryan McHugh
Hugh McFadden
Daire O'Baoil

Jason McGee
Langan

Thompson
Murphy
Niall O'Donnell

McBrearty
Gallen
Jamie Brennan

Centre half back is a problem position so picking Hughie there, he plays deep anyway. I think we will win but Tyrone will be difficult to beat.

First championship match I wont be attending since the infamous game in Crossmaglen in 2010. Who would have thought after that defeat we would have had such a successful decade.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 31/10/2020 22:13:08    2303634

Link

The day is here! We have the better forwards and attacking unit throughout the pitch I feel, if we can avoid goals we will win this game. What role will the wind play? Excitement!

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 902 - 01/11/2020 08:18:59    2303682

Link

Day finally here. Strange day haven't missed a championship match since 2008 . Blustery day up here I feel the wind could play a massive part. Do you take it or go against it, if you win the toss. Goals could be crucial if I'm being honest I'm very nervous about this one. We won the league game and last years semi and with the way things go you think it could be tyrones turn today. Can't see the teams on programme starting. Is Mc brearty fit nobody knows be a massive loss if not. Will hampsey play, anyway good luck lads we might be there but we'll all be rooting for ya. Up Donegal

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 01/11/2020 11:04:13    2303736

Link

I was up half the night (not intentionally) working out the match ups. I think that Tyrone will leave Canavan and McCurry inside most of the time, and will rotate Donnelly, Harte, McKenna inside at different times. McGeary and Meyler will work back and offer very little going forward. I think we should leave Neil and Ban at home for the majority, with Hughie giving protection. McMenamin to track Donnelly, Mogan on Harte, Brennan on McKenna. As that is all Tyrone will have forward, that leaves Ryan to give a hand out where its needed, and then to push on when we have possession. When they have possession, our first line of defence will be the big men, Jason, Langan, Murphy and Thompson; leaving Niall O'Donnell on the 40, with Jamie and Paddy (or Oisin) inside. I just can't see Tyrone being able to stop us going forward.
Now, I'm away for the fry, and then a shower and a shave before I get togged out for the sofa. This is crazy stuff on the 1st of November.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 01/11/2020 11:24:28    2303747

Link

I don't want to keep harping on about this.. But imagine if both Ordhans were in that panel and Michael Carroll too.. Donegal are serious contenters for Sam but having them three would just increase our options. Surely fo God Ordhan was watching that yesterday thinking this is a very good Donegal team and I want to be part of it.. So sad a talent like that is not involved so sad..

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 03/11/2020 13:56:39    2304817

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "I don't want to keep harping on about this.. But imagine if both Ordhans were in that panel and Michael Carroll too.. Donegal are serious contenters for Sam but having them three would just increase our options. Surely fo God Ordhan was watching that yesterday thinking this is a very good Donegal team and I want to be part of it.. So sad a talent like that is not involved so sad.."
Please stop harping on about it then lol

No harm at all to either lad but we have a left-footed half forward who scored 7 points in the wind and rain against Tyrone in a knockout championship game on Sunday. The only way Odhrán would have been starting on Sunday would be if he had also been for the county for the last two seasons like the men who played their part v Tyrone, so i'm sure he's pretty comfortable with his own decision. His business is his own.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 03/11/2020 14:44:53    2304849

Link

Time to forget about lads who don't want to commit. I would rather go with the lads who are fully committed and want to play for the county. I respect their decision, very understandable as the commitment is huge and its not for everyone.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 03/11/2020 16:31:40    2304877

Link