Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just to clarify I think gannon is a top performer but he lacks the confidence in his shooting to be a top forward. It's certainly a good sign of our mid field that he 's not selected there. I'd say he's A brilliant link man in the modern game.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 14/07/2017 10:43:08    2016421

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "Just to clarify I think gannon is a top performer but he lacks the confidence in his shooting to be a top forward. It's certainly a good sign of our mid field that he 's not selected there. I'd say he's A brilliant link man in the modern game."
You'd forget we were. Division 4 team Bimb. Teams of diarmuid Connolly's you're after ;) no such luxury. But Gannon's link play is outstanding. I think we have really made the most of every player we have. Credit to management for that.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 199 - 14/07/2017 11:40:30    2016450

Link

Totally agree hometown the system makes the most of what players we have. I'm thrilled with the results, attitude, physicality and hard work. I'm just making the point that as the opposition gets tougher they will expose our weaknesses. Still tho I'm expecting a massive performance. Perhaps monaghan will underestimate our ability to run at them. If they have any complacency I think we re well placed to capatalise on it.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 14/07/2017 11:58:45    2016462

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "Totally agree hometown the system makes the most of what players we have. I'm thrilled with the results, attitude, physicality and hard work. I'm just making the point that as the opposition gets tougher they will expose our weaknesses. Still tho I'm expecting a massive performance. Perhaps monaghan will underestimate our ability to run at them. If they have any complacency I think we re well placed to capatalise on it."
You and me both !!!

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 199 - 14/07/2017 14:00:43    2016530

Link

Hello All and id like to say im looking forward to travelling to your neck of the woods tomorrow! I hope we all have a great evening of football...whats the handiest way to the pitch as it would be good to avoid any bottlenecks that the locals would know of !

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 130 - 14/07/2017 14:13:21    2016534

Link

Stoneygrey the pitch is just off the Dublin road so park in the first car park on the way in, probably the o'hanrahans club pitch

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1308 - 14/07/2017 16:37:58    2016597

Link

I want to wish the team and management the best of luck today.

Personally I'm anticipating a Monaghan win but I'm confident our lads will give it all just the same. If the game is still in the balance in the final quarter, we might be in business.

Either way lads, go for it. You've absolutely nothing to lose!

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 15/07/2017 08:37:54    2016767

Link

Best of luck lads. I've known you are a good team since the start of the year.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 883 - 15/07/2017 11:26:00    2016832

Link

Come on Carlow!

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1521 - 15/07/2017 16:35:59    2016983

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "Come on Carlow!"
Great stuff from Carlow so far. Keep it up. You're doing Leinster proud.

lilywhite1 (Kildare) - Posts: 2973 - 15/07/2017 20:08:42    2017116

Link

Why oh why did we not be more positive there tonite. Monaghan were there for the taking but we were far too conservative in the second half when we went ahead. Anyway fair play to lads who gave it everything. Couple of issues I have ,how did they leave Foley on the pitch for all that match, just unbelievable. Our kickouts were poor also ,why was Kearney dropped? his kickouts are far more accurate.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 15/07/2017 22:39:23    2017206

Link

Lads you were a credit to your county tonight. You were so physical but in the best sense unlike Wexford last week who played way beyond the rules. You played like men and I hope to see Carlow go on from here and make an even bigger statement in next year's championship. We have a population just slightly above your own & I'd Like to think we are both punching way above our weight.

Mon the Farney & Carlow !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 15/07/2017 23:48:19    2017244

Link

Carlow, a credit to yourselves, your county and supporters. The trick now is to build on this. You need to get out of Division 4 pronto. A Division 4 title is worth aiming for to build confidence and get you guys playing against stronger teams. You've had a taste of the big time, your aim should be that this year is not a once in a lifetime event. A thought struck me, it must be the first year in a very very long time, if ever, that Carlow were still in the Championship after your Cat neighbours next door were knocked out. Well done Carlow from a fellow struggling county

festy_o_semtex (UK) - Posts: 67 - 16/07/2017 07:21:23    2017306

Link

It was a very brave effort, we will learn from these games, Monaghan were a very physical side and we were not far off them but that's the level we will have to get up to, it's doable and I believe we will get there, all year I've seen something different about this Carlow team, even on the bad days, we need to continue from here next January. I'd like to thank the players and management for giving me one of my most enjoyable summers I can remember, they are a credit to the whole county and these few games have done so much to promote the game, you only had to look on the field at ht and see all those kids wearing their county colors with pride

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1308 - 16/07/2017 11:45:09    2017380

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "It was a very brave effort, we will learn from these games, Monaghan were a very physical side and we were not far off them but that's the level we will have to get up to, it's doable and I believe we will get there, all year I've seen something different about this Carlow team, even on the bad days, we need to continue from here next January. I'd like to thank the players and management for giving me one of my most enjoyable summers I can remember, they are a credit to the whole county and these few games have done so much to promote the game, you only had to look on the field at ht and see all those kids wearing their county colors with pride"
Would like to echo that Barrowsider. The incremental improvement has been remarkable.

Very disciplined in the backs yesterday. Sensible refereeing comparative to the Tipp/Armagh game, albeit I thought the challenge on Sean Murphy was borderline frontal to my mind.

We wish Monaghan well. A role model as Turlough referenced earlier this summer.

Will Carlow improve/progress next year. Yes. Monaghan just about saw it out from substantial comparative experience. Carlow are honing matters rapidly this year. Upward trejectory since the later rounds of the league.

Will we be here as before in November contemplating who will be involved for the forthcoming year. No

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 469 - 16/07/2017 16:04:45    2017464

Link

I think our opening league game against wet meath set down the marker for the year

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 16/07/2017 17:18:06    2017507

Link

They gave it everything. Can't ask much more than that. Defence was excellent. Monaghan never really troubled us bar the goal. 12 points to a D1 side is incredible when you think about it. Such a pity they couldn't see it out. But massive strides made. Huge credit must go to the coach.

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 199 - 16/07/2017 17:20:30    2017509

Link

Fantastic effort yesterday and all year. What a pity we threw promotion away when a win over either London or Leitrim would have seen us go up. Critical now that we keep the momentum going and get the hell out of division 4. In that regard keeping Stephen Poacher involved is paramount. It would be disastrous to lose him now that we've seen his massive impact and when you see counties like Westmeath, Offaly and especially Louth (very handy for him) looking for managers I hope the county board move quickly and tie him down for next year without delay. Hopefully we can get Hughie Gahan back in as well as Benny Kavanagh and hopefully Shane O'Neill will be back in also. Could do with another scoring forward or two. Not sure we have them though I always liked the look of Diarmuid Walshe.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 16/07/2017 18:23:10    2017552

Link

Ya full credit to the team and all involved, the progress over this season has been massive. Hats off to TO'B and the CB for what seems an inspired move in getting Stevie Poacher involved, a fresh perspective from way outside the normal Leinster pool has really given the whole set up a massive shot in the arm. I agree 100% he needs to be kept involved, as someone said if this happens it means next year we won't have the usual hustle to get lads on board. I'm sure there are business people who might be able to help out.

Turning to yesterday it seems almost churlish to say we left it behind us, but Monaghan were there for the taking. our style of play means minimum opportunities are created but these have to be taken when they present. Also the support play needs to evolve how many times were we in possession with no support runners and isolated? Of course that is physically very draining and given the weather was energy sapping. Also thought the line could have made a few changes earlier, young Clarke in particular looked very lively when introduced. Anyway easy to be wise after the fact and we had chances earlier and didn't take them. Looking forward to next year already!

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 16/07/2017 20:10:04    2017653

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Fantastic effort yesterday and all year. What a pity we threw promotion away when a win over either London or Leitrim would have seen us go up. Critical now that we keep the momentum going and get the hell out of division 4. In that regard keeping Stephen Poacher involved is paramount. It would be disastrous to lose him now that we've seen his massive impact and when you see counties like Westmeath, Offaly and especially Louth (very handy for him) looking for managers I hope the county board move quickly and tie him down for next year without delay. Hopefully we can get Hughie Gahan back in as well as Benny Kavanagh and hopefully Shane O'Neill will be back in also. Could do with another scoring forward or two. Not sure we have them though I always liked the look of Diarmuid Walshe.

."
Carlow should be challenging for promotion next year. Need to get out of D4. Well capable of playing in D3. They had a solid league campaign this year and 5 championship matches with 3 victories.
My prediction is that Carlow and Laois will be promoted with Antrim third. Cant see anyone else in the promotion picture.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2810 - 16/07/2017 20:18:44    2017660

Link