Carlow Forum

It Starts Again (Club Hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Old Yellar. Unfortunately I think the way the lads are playing means that most clubs will stop us. It's not the defeat that bothers me to St. Mullins. Its the way they are playing. I was equally critical the week before when they played as bad against BTown and won. Almost all the team has intercounty experience either senior or U21 or Minor yet they are playing like a poor junior team. I am convinced that the attitude, disipline and hunger is a reflection of the manangment team. They need to go now and give the team a chance of winning something this year, or at the very least of playing with some pride and passion. If they dont go then the players need to speak up. I am interested to know what topfan thinks of the performance asainst St. Mullins as even he must acknowledge that the team is in disarray.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 04/05/2011 10:15:57    923167

Link

ARAGORN: you seem to have some agenda here. Its not as if they are being beaten out the gate or something, they lost to co. champs. by a point,and they won their other game.
Ok they mightnt be flying but then its far too early in the year for that anyway. I know there are rumblings bout management etc. but Id say youre stuck with them for this year anyway so ye may as well get on with it. Who knows ye might even win it out ,then all will be forgiven.

Dosser55 (Carlow) - Posts: 119 - 04/05/2011 10:37:25    923187

Link

Dosser you are extremly perceptive. My agenda is clear. Get rid of existing tired managment and replace with somebody who will put a bit of belief back into the team. Again its not the loss or the win but the manner of both. We had same problem last year at the end of the year so the time of the year has nothing to do with it. Even if we do win and i think at present that is unlikely then they still need to be got rid of as they have brought the team backwards rather than forward. There is no forgiving that. There is plenty of time to make changes so i dont think we are stuck with them at all.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 04/05/2011 11:12:04    923213

Link

Aragorn Yes i believe that I am. You ,however, are naive in the extreme if you think that management are going anywhere at least til end of season. So you'll just have to suck it up til then I'm afraid.

Dosser55 (Carlow) - Posts: 119 - 04/05/2011 14:25:06    923432

Link

I haven't seen the rangers playing this year so can't comment on their performance in either game but they can't be as bad as you will have us believe they beat bagenalstown and only lost by 1 point to the county champions playing with 14 for a long period of the match.I agree with the last post no team is going to change the manager in the middle of the championship.

miseal (Carlow) - Posts: 49 - 04/05/2011 15:05:39    923476

Link

to be honest, the first 6 games have being rubbish, i have seen all of them & myshall look the most likely at the moment, so who knows there could be management sackings cause there are a few canditdates, but a lot of hurling still to be played. maybe this break will do the likes of mlr & erins own good cause they seem to be the one,s that need to get it together

burmabullet (Carlow) - Posts: 29 - 04/05/2011 18:57:16    923756

Link

Not going to get into a debate about this subject with u aragon!!!!We are playing bad at the moment but this time last year we were beating teams out the gate and what did that get us. 13 weeks before next championship game . A lot of hurling still to be done and long time till september and thats when you want to be hitting top form not may

TopFan (Carlow) - Posts: 166 - 05/05/2011 19:34:27    924584

Link

There would be a reason for you not wanting to debate the point topfan. If you can't see what is going on then you are part of the click. Most people in the club that you speak to can see that it is too cosy with the current management. Time for some of leaders on that team to shout stop before they end up scratching their heads and asking what went wrong at the end of the year. Like I said before I can't wait to hear what the excuses are this year. What reasons would you give for the pathetic performances in the first 2 games? Let me guess, you don't want to get into a debate where you have give reasons for the performance, sounds familiar.
You should look for a job as selector on the team. You would fit right in. But then again maybe you are already in there. It certainly sounds like it.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 06/05/2011 09:29:42    924762

Link

No aragon not part of that click but i think these issues should be discussed at our AGM not on a national web site.If you think you can do a better job than current set up put your name forward dont think there is a big line in front of you.Are you one of the couple that were pushed out by this click and are going around bad mouthing a lot of these players or are you one of the greats that won nothing in your career but think you are good enough to manage lads that have won 3 championships.

TopFan (Carlow) - Posts: 166 - 15/05/2011 13:43:12    931131

Link

A bit touchy there topfan. What i think at this stage that if the players are happy with the current set-up and dont want to change then they deserve the managment team they have now. I thought there was a bit more about them but it looks like i am sadly wrong. I would have thought that lads that had the guts to win 3 championships would have a bit more backbone than they are displaying. It looks like they are now simply happy to be on the team and that is assured by the current set-up. I wish them well with that.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 16/05/2011 15:01:26    932064

Link

I can see Myshall getting far as they have a very strong side this year. Myshall should beat St Mullins and Bagnelstown dont stand a chance they are muck this year.

garryhill24 (Carlow) - Posts: 2 - 19/05/2011 10:44:08    934401

Link

predictions 4 the weekend games.....

im goin 2 go with btown by 4pts
st.mullins and naomh brid a draw
and mlr by 6pts.

thereferee (Carlow) - Posts: 40 - 29/07/2011 15:58:43    998330

Link

Herd btown lost ta balinkilen las nit.. Is dat them gone frm d championship nw or is dr any way dey can stil go thru

carlow4life (Carlow) - Posts: 46 - 31/07/2011 11:51:11    999272

Link

can anyone tell me what,s gone wrong with erins own

burmabullet (Carlow) - Posts: 29 - 31/07/2011 14:27:59    999506

Link

erins own are basically over rated. too many ordinary hurlers in key positions. sorry lads.

mamamia (Carlow) - Posts: 25 - 01/08/2011 11:40:33    1000410

Link

Looking at Balinkillen versus Erins own, the underdogs Balinkillen played very well in the first half and were well on top with confident first time no messing type of hurling that was working well for them and they deservedly were well on top on the scoreboard. The Erins own team did make a real effort in the second half but came up short. One achilles heel that they have had for the last 3 years is free taking and it let them down a few times not least with the last 65 in the last minute. But, and its important to state this, Balinkillen deserve great credit for the manner and execution of their game plan which negated the influence of Craig Doyle in particular. They scored freely in the first half and defended stoutly when the chips were down.

Sundays games were very different with Rangers looking the pick of the 4. Myshall are lacking a bit of power in the scoring stakes and the loss of Shane Kavanagh was a big loss. Rangers did struggle too but had a lot more fire power all over the field. The siting of James Hickey at number 6 was interesting and he proved a strong pivot and cleared when required in the last 10 minutes. They were on top at midfield and were more free flowing in attack. They looked fit and their first touch and aggression when not in possession looked very good.

Naomh Brid were simply too good for a very poor St. Mullins who definitely lack the influence and potency of Seamus Murphy and Pat Coady. Naomh Brid will be there in the shake up.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1556 - 01/08/2011 15:55:18    1000695

Link

Was at the two games on Sunday in Dr. Cullen. Naomh Brid dominated the first game and should have won by more but just couldn't put St. Mullins away. It was interesting that St. Mullins finished with three very young players on the team. Young Kavanagh looked very good, setup the goal and scored a very good point himself. They look to be struggling up front without Seamus Murphy and Cody. Naomh Brid will take beating if they concentrate on the hurling, but the football will probably take priority.

The second game was very poor. Myshall decided to play a sweeper and it was a disaster. They are struggling in the forwards and when they ended up with five forwards against six backs it was predictable that they would score very little. I didn't think they needed any help in the backs as they are pretty strong there even without Shane Kavanagh. Also thought it was strange to take off Joe Watters as he wasn't performing that badly. Rangers were poor once again but just have a couple of forwards more than Myshall. Usual decision to take off the quite lads and leave the poorest performing players on the pitch but that is par for the course at this stage.

Just as an aside, can anyone tell me what the ref in the MLR, Myshall match was at in the second half? He seemed to completely lose the plot at one stage when he gave Myshall a legitimate free then when the player had taken it he reversed the decision and then decided to throw the ball in. I couldn't make out what he was at and the players seemed to be puzzled as well.

aragorn1 (Carlow) - Posts: 156 - 02/08/2011 12:16:08    1001391

Link

aragorn the ref in the mlr v n/eoin game didnt actually award a free to n/eoin he stopped play for an injury to the n/eoin player and as they were in possesion at the time under the new rule brought in last year he has to restart the game with an indirect free to n/eoin which they cannot score direct from. he informed all the players of this at the time even the free taker but he still went ahead and scored which ment the he had to throw the ball in to restart the game then. this only happens for an injury stoppage any other stoppage is as it was. hope this helps

Rule 2 - Set Play - Hurling
A New Section numbered as 2.9 (with existing 2.9 becoming 2.10 andreads:
"2.9 - If in exceptional circumstances play is stopped by the Referee to enable a seriously injured player to be treated on the field or removed from the field of play, play shall resume in one of the following manners:-
(i) If a Team is in possession when the play is stopped, the play shall resume with a free puck to that Team from the position at which the play was stopped, unless the play was stopped inside the opponents 20m line in which case the free shall be awarded from the 20m line opposite the point where the play was stopped. A score may not be made directly from such free.
(ii) If neither Team is in possession when the play is stopped, a throwin shall be made from the position where the play was stopped, subject to the provisions in Exceptions (v) and (vi) of Rule 2.2.

Penalty (in both Codes) - for "scoring" from such a free
(i) Cancel free kick/puck
(ii) Throw-in ball where the foul occurred, except as provided for under Exception (v)* of Rule 2.2
* (The New Section (v) re throw-ins being made 13m infield is referred to elsewhere).

Change:
(i) Previously play would have re-started with a throw in, now a free kick/puck for the team in possession.
(ii) When neither team is "in possession", play shall re-start with a throw in.
(iii) If the free kick/puck results directly in a score then the score shall be disallowed and play restarted by a thrown in at the place from where the free kick/puck was taken.

urhavinalaugh (Carlow) - Posts: 73 - 03/08/2011 09:24:31    1002163

Link

Well whats the thoughts on last nights games? i thought we threw it away throw missed chances and a sloppy puck out. No one to blame but ourselves. Myshall dont look the finished article either. was a poor game. a lot of the county players on show were quiet in spots. it leaves us looking to get something from last game to keep things in our own hands.. the second game saw st mullins sucker punch erins own on the counter attack. the never were in serious danger at the back and mouse kavanagh could have had 5 goals rather than 2. thought erins own overplayed the ball at times. one passage of play saw 8 handpasses and it eneded up no further up the field than when it started and allowed st mullins to flood back.. its a big blow to the town. i d say they thought they were in with a big say this year.. so its a case of 5 into 4 now!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2624 - 08/08/2011 10:05:42    1006146

Link

urhavina laugh... your recent post certainly clears up the confusion that was there for a lot of players and supporteers in that game with Naomh Eoin and Naomh Brid.

On a different note, I am surprised at the lack of posts on the weekends games. MLR certainly put up a big score against Naomh Brid and they must be scratching their heads as they prepare for their last round. Rangers are getting better as the games are played.

Balinkillen had Naomh Eoin on the ropes and could not finish them off with a few late frees. Interesting that Andrew 'the Duke' Gaul stepped up to the last few! Naomh Eoin will be worried that they have not yet caught fire and sustained it in any game.

Champions St. Mullins were again unimpressive despite scoring three goals and Erins Owb must be wondering where it has all gone wrong.Goals win games and Erins Own have had a famine in that area in their games.

Rangers certainly look to be the best of a rather poor lot this year for the major honour.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1556 - 08/08/2011 10:17:09    1006158

Link