Wicklow Forum

New Manager

(Oldest Posts First)

I see Johnny McGee has been appointed. Good luck to him and his team

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 07/10/2014 12:02:59    1660992

Link

Yes good luck to him it's getting near the time of developing a new squad with some of the great servants coming to the ends of their careers. He has at least has a knowledge of the player pool available to him which is a plus and I think it's going to be a few years work to build a new squad. The footballers are in the county, the parts we are lacking are the winning mentality and the history of success which makes the job harder to encourage kids to play the game and current players to join a county squad and make a serious commitment and the sacrifices needed to play county football. I still think the goverment/Gaa do not do enough for inter county players to make it an easier process in terms of family life and work. If they worked out a programme with employers of the players to release them a couple of hours earlier on training days and basically paid the lost time wages of the player and offered a tax incentive for employers to facilitate it, it would allow earlier times for training and a good work/life/home balance. I think that's where counties like Wicklow really fall down in encouraging players to make the commitment to a panel as the lack of a winning history must surely factor into the equation when it comes to taking part or not when you can put in best part of a year with the possibility of only playing 2/3 championship matches if you are lucky enough to make the team.

TheMaestro (Wicklow) - Posts: 32 - 07/10/2014 12:34:57    1661013

Link

Good luck to Johnny, I hope he turns out to be a lot better than the 2 other dubs that Wicklow had over them in the past 15 tears or so.

minor93 (Wicklow) - Posts: 52 - 07/10/2014 14:09:39    1661075

Link

Was obvious choice...hav to give him minimum of two years and finance to look after team set up properly.

curnew (Wicklow) - Posts: 443 - 07/10/2014 16:45:55    1661141

Link

Curnew

That will depend very much on what your expectations of finance is

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 07/10/2014 17:57:39    1661181

Link

Maestro
"I still think the goverment/Gaa do not do enough for inter county players to make it an easier process in terms of family life and work. If they worked out a programme with employers of the players to release them a couple of hours earlier on training days and basically paid the lost time wages of the player and offered a tax incentive for employers to facilitate it"

This will never happen

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 07/10/2014 17:59:35    1661184

Link

No_Drama Id like to say your wrong but it would be very suprising if it happened alright but I think if we are to ever get success we have to work harder at it than most other counties because the bottom line is we haven't won diddly squat and we have to start putting in place something to make it an easier process for players to give their time to a squad. The day you drive through the large towns of Wicklow and consistently see kids swinging hurls and kicking football is the day we will be winning something. To make it the big attraction is the key and the closest we have come to this is in Mickos era because the media were all over him and the way to encourage people to the game in an unsuccessful county is to generate the same kind of hype. If wicklow introduced a scheme to allow players the time off it would be a step in the right direction and I know its easier to say than implement but aren't most things. The population base is there to have numerous teams in some of the bigger towns the trick is to find a way to tap into it. RTE lived in Aughrim when Micko was here and crowds were huge, kids were flocking to games and trainings and we got to the last 12 in the country. The two things for my money we badly need are hype to encourage people to take up the game in the county and a structure that makes it as easy as possible for our top players to make the commitment to the county team. When we have both we will be heading the right direction.

TheMaestro (Wicklow) - Posts: 32 - 08/10/2014 09:06:38    1661298

Link

Neutral Leighton must have giving you some roasting at some stage for you to be carrying that kind of bitterness,I almost feel sorry for you having to carry a chip that heavy.

pistelero (Wicklow) - Posts: 1715 - 08/10/2014 10:18:47    1661330

Link

So Magee is the new manager. Was this just the county board filling in a position or can Johnny offer anything to the senior team?
Why hasn't a u21 manager been dealt with, surely Wicklow should be gathering as a squad now for February championship?

kodak13 (Wicklow) - Posts: 55 - 08/10/2014 10:31:51    1661338

Link

Wishing Johnny Magee the best & success

Profile wise & age wise - he is of a modern ilk and seems popular with players and backroom - that counts for a lot.

I dont think he will get Leighton back - I believe it was known that J.Magee was coming in for a few days , so I would suspect Leighton may have been aware ? .. would be interesting to see if he does a U Turn - I cant see it.

Success in my view will be to build a squad and start planning for life without Leighton & maybe other great servants & blood in new young lads. Being realistic , I cant see us getting ot of Div 4 next year. If we were upto Div 3 the year after ( 2016 ) , that wold be a real success.

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 08/10/2014 10:39:18    1661347

Link

New players for Johnny McGee

I just want to wish Johnny McGee and his backroom team the best as the county embarks into another season. Anyone hear who his selectors will be. Comments from players last year indicate that they admire his training methods and respect him . Like many other posters I believe that this must be a three year plan at least to coincide with what the academy are striving to achieve. Hopefully the county panel by then will have players from the academy that they can integrate into the group. We all know that there is a tough road ahead but our priority must be to gain promotion to division 3 within the next two years and hold that position so the players can pit themselves against stronger opposition.
Now that all the championships are nearing a conclusion who would posters see as the new potential county panellists from what they have seen so far in the various championships that Johnny and his selectors should focus on.

leftfoot (Wicklow) - Posts: 87 - 08/10/2014 17:31:33    1661561

Link

Maestro

Maybe I am wrong but I would say most of our county players work outside the county. Why would any employer in another county care?? The government wont intervene in one sport because they would have to give the same support to every other sport as well of face discrimination case in European courts. GAA have no power whatsoever and are losing ground throughout the country with the rise in popularity of soccer and rugby

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 09/10/2014 13:19:02    1661798

Link

kodak13

Why hasn't a u21 manager been dealt with, surely Wicklow should be gathering as a squad now for February championship?

I might be wrong but as far as I know there is a ban on under 21 training at this time of year

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 09/10/2014 13:27:08    1661805

Link