Wicklow Forum

New Manager

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

At least one local man would have been ideal as selector .. having said that , Cosgrove and 2 Magee's being Stilorgan based means they can travel to most club games and cover the ground form within an hour drive of Kilmacud..

Maybe having an unbiased complete outside approach & attitude might be a good thing.

Time will tell - but best of luck to all & hopefully clubs , players , county board get stuck in and give these lads all the support needed

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 09/10/2014 11:56:58    1661752

Link

There is a blatant omission here from talk about leinster draws/new management etc. Sponsorship.. We are not an attractive proposition to any company. County board need to work over time from now to Xmas to secure something. (Wicklow is base to some of largest companies in Ireland). This will allow mgmt the opportunity to see what they can work with. That goes for both codes.

freilly (Wicklow) - Posts: 118 - 09/10/2014 12:36:41    1661773

Link

Jack L

As usual you come on here trying to put undue pressure on a new management team. Get real... We need realistic achievable goals not pie in the sky instant success.

We have little or no hope of getting out of Division 4 in the coming year. I would think that it is more likely that we will see a complete new squad of lads emerge over the next 3 years and if in year 2 or 3 of magees term we can get promoted then that is great. We must then consolidate that position and over time with the inclusion of young talent from the academy squads build a competative force for championship. In reality in year 5 we would be lucky to get to a Leinster semi IF we were to get a good draw and we get a really talented bunch coming through together.

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 09/10/2014 13:05:05    1661784

Link

freilly

Dont think for one minute that the county board have not already gone to every company in Wicklow and a good few beyond. You hit the nail on the head when you said that we are not a good prospect for sponsorship. That is a fact but there is a change and I think that the new academy squad structure will give some hope in the future. We are lucky to have some great people working so hard with the talented young players of the future. Success will come from these lads in the future. Success breeds success and we will be a great prospect or sponsorship.

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 09/10/2014 13:11:07    1661788

Link

If Glynn came back in, Wicklow would be in a strong position to gain promotion this year as there is really nothing else in D4. A three year plan should be in place with solid progress each year. Supporters will need to be patient for once as give this new management team a chance.

It's all very easy singing their praises now. But judge them in three years not six months. With Micko at the helm, when the team reached R4 of the qualifiers, Micko was a hero. But when league success did not come, he was constantly hounded.

With Harry at the helm, promotion was secured in the first year. He was an insatnt hero, but when momentum was not sustained in the championship, he too was rounded upon.

These lads know all about success having played on successful teams in the past. Give them a chance.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 09/10/2014 16:26:40    1661900

Link

Its not often that I would agree with JackL but he is 100% with those comments.

pistelero (Wicklow) - Posts: 1715 - 09/10/2014 16:43:52    1661909

Link

Lads I'm doing a bit of googling on Johnny McGee. Can somebody tell me has he managed anyone before? Be that club or county? Why is he being called the wicklow manager? Does he not have to be ratified? Look what happened in Westmeath where nomination wasn't ratified by the delegates because he hadn't sufficent managment experience? Why are the other potential candidates not named? Surely some them have experience ?

Any truth in the rumour Seamus Murphy was interested in the hurling job and was not interviewed?

When is this county board meeting?

intheback (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 10/10/2014 15:58:59    1662419

Link

Does anyone have recommendations on new players who could strengthen the panel? And by new players, I mean players who are up to the required standard for inter-county football in terms of pace, strength, skill level etc and not some player who has had one or two good games in a league game, but consistent performers at the highest level.

The few players I would like to see included this year are Rory Nolan (Balto), Dean Siney (Blessington), Paul Cronin (Ballinter) Tom McKeown (St Judes)

canas (Wicklow) - Posts: 131 - 10/10/2014 16:27:00    1662438

Link

With a juicy Leinster QF to look forward to after the league it is a great incentative for new players.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 10/10/2014 17:05:39    1662463

Link

Obviously you haven't a clue what's going on in Wicklow club football this year. Dean Siney hasn't played all year. He'd make a good target man on the edge of the square at the minute though. Anyone who knows football will understand this statement.

Monopoly (Wicklow) - Posts: 194 - 10/10/2014 17:12:00    1662469

Link

Intheback,

I would also like to know who else was interviewed for the vacant managers role and was anyone from around the county asked to become a selector or was it a quick meeting and the job given out and he told ah sure look after the selector thing yourself,when is the CB meeting for this to be ratified,the CB wont mind telling clubs they have to sell x ammount of development draw tickets ect so if they wouldnt mind telling all clubs and their members how the process went and why they reached this conclusion.

finishedplayin (Wicklow) - Posts: 125 - 10/10/2014 17:30:20    1662476

Link

I know he hasn't played all year Monopoly, but I feel he is one of the few players in the county who could potentially make a difference to the county team if he could get himself injury free and fit. Do you have any opinions on players to be brought in?

canas (Wicklow) - Posts: 131 - 10/10/2014 18:03:03    1662486

Link