Wicklow Forum

Harry Murphy Steps Down as Wicklow Manager

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I agree, I never intended to make a comparison between Wicklow and Donegal, obviously, there is a lot of financial backing associated with Donegal at the minute especially if they are flying players to training and of course, sponsors, benefactors etc will jump on the bandwagon when a team is winning Ulster and All Ireland titles but I can't imagine that there were too many queuing up to give them funds when they were loosing early in the qualifiers (hammered by Armagh) before the current manager came in. Look at how quickly people jumped on the bandwagon here in 2008/2009 - the point I am making is that if we can make the right appointment at senior level and get some players coming through, give people something to follow, it is easier to raise funds when you have a bandwagon for people to jump on especially in a non-traditional counties that have been starved of any success. I think the new Wicklow manager and the team will be judge in the next 2-3 years based upon their league results and against team of a similar standard in Leinster and the qualifiers but there has to be changes at under age level as we are not gaining any ground there. Equally, it is important that we don't use resources as an excuse when our results against teams with similar resources are not good.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1139 - 11/09/2014 08:56:40    1650808

Link

Being realistic about previous posts there is a definite link between success in county terms and the potential level of sponsorship this could bring in. Look at the predicament we found ourselves in last year and this year. Do u mean to tell me that if we were more successful as a county in terms of silverware won that we would find ourselves in this predicament. Until we start being successful and a better PR product then we will be at the bottom of the pile in relation to our ability to get a sponsor for our county teams. Can anyone see this happening in the short term. I don't think so. Where does this leave us. We now have no option but to throw everything in behind our new academy initiative. Get the basics right and be patient. Let's face facts it can't get any worse and there is no division 5. There is good work being done with the academy squads so let's all be patient and make sure the best coaches get to work with these young squads. And let's hope that people on the ground row in behind them and make sure our best young players are actually get on board. There's no other option.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 131 - 12/09/2014 21:08:15    1651493

Link

good luck to jonathon daniels as under 21 manager this year, played with and under him and have seen his appetite for football. Funny to think the Blessington board turned him down for their minor job this year seeing how their year went.

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 442 - 30/10/2014 15:00:48    1668377

Link

Victorious.
He hasn't achieved anything
Yet at County level to prove
Blessington board wrong...

Bax (Wicklow) - Posts: 176 - 30/10/2014 16:27:16    1668412

Link

Bax, since when does one need to have succes at inter-county level to take the club minor team?
He'd been a mentor for the team since under 14 and the manager of the 16s team that won the county last year.
I reckon hes been a part of 4 or 5 county winning teams at underage and junior C last year as a coach/manager

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 442 - 31/10/2014 13:53:05    1668654

Link