Monaghan Forum

Ulster Championship 2015

(Oldest Posts First)

Golden opportunity to get back to the final!

Prelim
Donegal v Tyrone

Quarter
Armagh v Donegal/Tyrone, Cavan v Monaghan, Fermanagh v Antrim, Derry v Down

Semi
Derry/Down v Armagh/Donegal/Tyrone
Cavan/Monaghan v Fermanagh/Antrim

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 859 - 09/10/2014 19:56:24    1661998

Link

Exactly my thoughts, no reason why we shouldnt be getting to the final but we have a good run at it this year,
Patk would Darren Hughes be any use in full forward for Monaghan ? I know we need him in midfield but he was very impressive in their for Scotstown

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 694 - 09/10/2014 19:39:22    1662031

Link

Maybe play Darren Hughes inside along with Kieran and play mcmanus on the 40.. Hughes seemed dangerous inside and mcmanus was dangerous on the 40.. maybe be different at intercounty but would certainly be wirth a try and would be hard for teams to double mark him. Just a suggestion whats your opinion??

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 09/10/2014 20:06:48    1662058

Link

Bookies have us 3/1 favourites for Ulster after the draw. However Cavan will be very happy also with that draw. A home local derby. Too early to speculate.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1454 - 09/10/2014 20:09:45    1662060

Link

it's worth a try in my opinion, is this a home game ?
off topic a bit but is there anyone new coming into the panel ?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 694 - 09/10/2014 20:27:39    1662081

Link

It's a good draw for Monaghan alright but anyone who was at the Cavan game in 1987 will know how tricky this will be for Monaghan. We were well fancied but it just didn't work out on the day. The game last year was as tough as any we played.

That said - the other side of the draw is absolutely rotten. Can't see anyone sauntering through that side of the draw.

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 299 - 09/10/2014 20:30:07    1662088

Link

Yeah Cavan will relish this game aswell and it's not an easy one, but I think that's good for us in a way. A tough derby like this will focus the minds early and should ensure there's no hint of complacency or anyone taking their eye off the ball, like there may have been against Antrim or Fermanagh(a derby too I know but not the same). We should beat Cavan as long as we go into the game with the right attitude and taking nothing for granted.

When you look at the other side, anything could happen in those games. Management changes, players retiring and some returning, it's fascinating.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 859 - 09/10/2014 20:49:01    1662103

Link

A trip to Breffni won't be easy at all but it's a fantastic opportunity for Monaghan and the players should be hugely motivated by the draw. Lets see how Monaghan progress through the league. Hopefully there won't be too many injuries. The league campaign will be vital in helping set morale for the championship - a relegation would damage them heading into the championship, while staying up will be a confidence booster. Hopefully the McKenna cup and U-21's unearth some new talent ahead of the championship

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 113 - 10/10/2014 10:07:34    1662216

Link

Its a golden opportunity for us. Cavan will be hard in Breffni park and they will be gunning for us, but they definitely seemed to regress last year, I think some of the panel like Killian Clarke left for America even before they started the championship.

At the same time they have some quality players in Mackey, Dunne, Keating, Clarke, McKeirnan. They should have got a draw against us two years ago and they gave us a hiding in Div 3 the same year, and beat us in McKenna Cup in Brewster last year, although they had a very strong team out against a weak enough Monaghan side.

Anyway I'm hoping that this draw will motivate us even more during the winter.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1068 - 10/10/2014 10:59:41    1662265

Link

Let's go back 12 months.
How many of us saw a Tyrone quarter final draw and started our mental preparation there and then?
Whatever disappointments Cavan's championship had this year, they will need no team talk ahead of an O'Classico
...and I still have nightmares about the latter stages of the 2013 Ulster semi.

Oh, and there's practically a slasher movie in the formative stages on the other side of the draw.
Jaysus, compare that to the "yawn-a-thons" in Munster.

#itsrealfromthestart

Knoxboyo (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 11/10/2014 20:05:28    1662739

Link