Monaghan Forum

Dun NaGall V Muineachán USFC Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

To win Ulster ANY year is a great achievement and no bad team ever wins it. Ulster is the only province where there is any competition on the way to the final. Ye were the champions until a week ago and am sure this Monaghan team will be around for a long time yet and probably have a big part to play this year still. Hard luck for Sunday last and hope we cross swords again very soon.

donegael (Donegal) - Posts: 188 - 25/07/2014 14:27:04    1625866

Link

Let's hope there is no lasting damage after this defeat. We had a bad day and lost to the better team. But hopefully two weeks is enough time to recover and we put it up to and hopefully beat Kildare.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 325 - 25/07/2014 20:05:04    1625988

Link

While Donegal were the better team on Sunday last, each team had exactly the same number of scoring chances i.e. 22. However, our success rate was only 45% compared to the opposition's 68%.

We can take some comfort in this especially in the context of some missed frees and basic errors on the day as well as a few poor refereeing decisions.

drumlingael (Monaghan) - Posts: 40 - 26/07/2014 08:53:07    1626038

Link

Tactically we were very poor. You can't win with two forwards surrounded by 5 defenders, and to persist with this the whole game leaves me asking questions of the side line. All we were doing is bringing the ball up to the far 65 and and kicking it back to Donegal, like a game of backs and forwards. You wouldn't see it at juvenile level.

drumlinbelt (Monaghan) - Posts: 179 - 26/07/2014 11:57:21    1626072

Link

I Have to say malacy o rourke very poor on sideline last Sunday,we never won a break ball around midfield,our halfforward playing in defence i never seen one of the three turning a ball over compared to Ryan mc hugh.our goalkeeper to slow on kickouts plus nobody was looking for ball.I coundnt understand playing one man up front and 4 r 5 men around him didn't make much sense to me.I hope malacy and backroom team hold there hands up and say they got it wrong.

geardlines (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 26/07/2014 14:22:57    1626127

Link

Tim_NicebutDim
County: Monaghan

Let's hope there is no lasting damage after this defeat. We had a bad day and lost to the better team. But hopefully two weeks is enough time to recover and we put it up to and hopefully beat Kildare.

2 weeks is plenty of time, it is the 6 day turn around that wrecked most teams over the years. I would also say that I was on the pitch after the final whistle and the monaghan team were all on it, they were disappointed but not gutted. There is a huge difference between these 2 mental states. they were signing autographs for youngsters (which is great to see), so I would say that they will be 110% ready and up for the next challenge. As for the dilemma about playing the dubs this year with the potential of being set back, we all face the same challenge, and it is not a good enough reason for wanting to go as far as you can in the year. They are a great team, and monaghan could be a very awkward challenge indeed for them. Gud luck.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3744 - 26/07/2014 14:52:25    1626139

Link