Limerick Forum

Two up Two Down

(Oldest Posts First)

In the Intermedate and Prem Inter Championships two go up and two go down to replace them. Is this set in stone for a few years or is it now up for debeate at Co.Convention. Wasn't it on trial to see how it got on.

rorymac3 (Limerick) - Posts: 50 - 04/11/2015 11:33:42    1804318

Link

going pretty well keeps competition fresh

cland (Limerick) - Posts: 229 - 04/11/2015 15:56:49    1804423

Link

Cland i don't totally agree. Last year both bruff/croom got promoted. What did they both do to freshen up this year's senior championship. They were both terrible. The same will happen with bruree/Knockainy next year. They will both struggle at senior level big time. I don't have any ideas or solutions but one thing i do know is that it hasn't helped limerick hurling. Most intermediate teams are stuck in a bad place at the moment and don't look like closing the gap on the big senior clubs.

I would give great credit to. Garryspillane and murroe boher tho. Both are producing strong underage teams at the moment. Was great for the bouncers to win the u15 premier last weekend. They are a team to watch out for in the future.

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 04/11/2015 17:32:47    1804463

Link

Think 2 up 2 down is a good idea, really gives smaller clubs like blackrock monaleen cappamore glenroe Pallasgreen castlemahon a chance at going up senior. Hope they keep it up for another few years.

Southwest (Limerick) - Posts: 49 - 04/11/2015 18:29:13    1804477

Link

I still think you should have to win your County Championship to gain promotion

hurler90 (Limerick) - Posts: 185 - 05/11/2015 14:27:16    1804677

Link

u mentioned the senior championship lets face it the premier intermediate competition is where the party is at, every one can win it nobody fears nobody, four new teams every year keeps it fresh. the senior championship you are looking at hammerings who ever goes up while the lower intermediate is of average standard. Bruff have a young side will get better Croom unlucky but NaPiarsaigh Doon Adare and BBallybrown wud be a step ahead of any team coming up

cland (Limerick) - Posts: 229 - 05/11/2015 14:47:04    1804685

Link

Hurler90 i agree. There is no buzz/excitement at the intermediate county finals as both teams have already gained promotion. Its all about the intermediate premier too with the media and limerick leader and the lower intermediate division gets very little publicity and media attention. Its poorly promoted. The old system of 16 senior teams and 16 intermediate teams was far better. Twas great to see clubs like bruree/garryspillane winning senior county titles and clubs like hospital and claughan winning intermediate titles. [url=]link

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 05/11/2015 16:46:03    1804730

Link

I think it takes from the competition when both clubs know they have gone up,its very hard to motivate teams if they have already been promoted.what would people make of this,the bottom two teams play off in senior,loser relegated,the winning team meets the runner up in premier intermediate with the winner of that game playing senior.this could also be done for intermediate and junior.it would make for some very good games at the end of the championship.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1229 - 06/11/2015 12:06:42    1804915

Link

two down makes for great competition as it eliminates a certain degree of safety net that most teams would have thinking that they only need to be better than one other team, which usually at the start of any given year can be predicted. But the two up system takes from the excitement and glory of winning. The semi finals now become the 'finals'. maybe something like the soccer system whereby the second team going down playoff the second team coming up to see who goes/stays up might be interesting...

anotheryear (Limerick) - Posts: 51 - 06/11/2015 18:24:32    1805021

Link