Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurlers 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jobber:  "I'd say this guy is one of those hurling haters from a well known football club who just wants to wind people up.
Everyone knows that Galway Waterford Cork Limerick and Tipp are enormous challenges just to be competitive
We are basically in the Munster championship plus Galway. We also know we were used by Croke Park after promotion when we should be in with Dublin Laois Antrim Kilkenny and Wexford or Clare but do they care??
Nevertheless this is a great opportunity for our players to play against the best and learn. Sure we will get a few trimmings but if the training is as good as it should be, that level of competition will stand in good stead for Mcdonagh and the future"
FYI I picked up the hurl and small ball long before the big ball a vic. I am not from a "well known football club" I have no hate for hurling. I have a hate for the way we have not made any meaningful attempt to developed either code in the county and how we keep looking back at the small moral victories of the past. We seem to sit and wait for the odd good player to pop up and carry a team and not look to develope and help the rest. It doesn't work, it hasn't worked, and it will never work.

The_Fonz (Westmeath) - Posts: 164 - 29/04/2021 12:40:33    2339289

Link

Replying To The_Fonz:  "Saying we are ahead of Offaly isn't something to crow about at this point in time. Offaly have hit the bottom and are doing a full nut and bolt restoration of hurling in the county at the moment and I fully expect them to pass us out again over next few seasons. Can you honestly, hand on heart say our lads will come away from any game with less than a 10 point beating? Only one team in 30 years has come up from the lower ranks and put it up to the bigger teams, Dublin. We are decades behind and it is no disrespect to the players I know they put in a lot of effort but we are never going to be giant killers."
Offaly underage club teams are generally still stronger than Westmeath hurling clubs and the same can be said of their county underage teams.
there are a few clubs in Westmeath who can barely field underage teams at 7s, 9s, 11s - there is either zero promotion done for these clubs or little interest in actually improving the whole thing
Its only a matter of time before it filters through to the senior and U20 setups

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1811 - 29/04/2021 15:04:16    2339346

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Offaly underage club teams are generally still stronger than Westmeath hurling clubs and the same can be said of their county underage teams.
there are a few clubs in Westmeath who can barely field underage teams at 7s, 9s, 11s - there is either zero promotion done for these clubs or little interest in actually improving the whole thing
Its only a matter of time before it filters through to the senior and U20 setups"
Once again I agree Valley there are hurling clubs doing nothing to promote hurling. Clubs who have numerous schools in Comortas na mBunscoile and Little or no underage. As for our friend The Fonz get involved and help your local club.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 883 - 29/04/2021 21:58:28    2339424

Link

Oliver Plunketts contested the u13 A final last year and Fr Dalton's are in the u15 A final which is still to be played, so its fair to say clubs like these are trying to catch up to Castletown, Raharney, Clonkill and you could say Na Piarsaigh as well. I agree that certain clubs need to be making a far better effort than they are.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 30/04/2021 09:40:19    2339467

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "Oliver Plunketts contested the u13 A final last year and Fr Dalton's are in the u15 A final which is still to be played, so its fair to say clubs like these are trying to catch up to Castletown, Raharney, Clonkill and you could say Na Piarsaigh as well. I agree that certain clubs need to be making a far better effort than they are."
Encouraging to see Plunketts in their first A final in a long time, but they'll need to back it up with the age groups coming behind to show that it's a case of them becoming more organised rather than just a case of a talented group of lads as a one-off. They were in 10 minor finals in a row from the mid 90s to mid 00s and then fell off a cliff.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 279 - 30/04/2021 12:45:30    2339496

Link

I see Killian Doyle is back on the panel. Great boost.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 04/05/2021 12:46:38    2339914

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "I see Killian Doyle is back on the panel. Great boost."
Great news for Westmeath great news for Raharney and Great news for the young man himself. Doyle has the ability to be one of the top three forwards in the game but as we know it's not ALL about ability. I'd say there is a good management group there and it's a wonderful opportunity for the young lad and the county.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 883 - 04/05/2021 13:59:54    2339932

Link

Any sign of a team or panel announcement ahead of the Galway game?

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 95 - 07/05/2021 10:37:34    2340382

Link

WH v GY live on TG4 tomorrow from 130pm, 2pm throw in. Lovely huring. and no Joe.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 743 - 07/05/2021 13:19:07    2340402

Link

Hopefully we'll have the starting team and panel at some stage today

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 07/05/2021 13:45:24    2340407

Link

All mind games...trying to throw Galway off.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 435 - 07/05/2021 14:29:45    2340414

Link

Really disappointing the lack of respect accorded Westmeath hurling followers by this management's failure to name starting line ups.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 195 - 07/05/2021 15:12:14    2340428

Link

Best of luck to the new PRO, Marie Lynagh from Kilbeggan but no doubt she is waiting for a team from management I would say !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 743 - 07/05/2021 15:17:22    2340431

Link

The team is out, I dont expect us to line out as what has been published. I'm aware that Killian Doyle and Aonghus Clarke haven't got full match fitness but I still expect to see them on the bench tomorrow.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 150 - 07/05/2021 17:46:14    2340448

Link

No, Westmeath County Boards attitude seems to be DONT promote players no matter what despite all the hard work they put in. Cannot produce a team early in the week same as the prominent counties .Deeno.

gerry1414 (Dublin) - Posts: 2 - 07/05/2021 19:13:30    2340453

Link

Are Doyle and Clarke the only notable absentees?

It's quite a young panel and I hope to see some youngsters get a run. I hate to be negative but the squad is in a transition and it may take a couple of years of mediocre results for things to pick up.

Nonetheless, best of luck to the lads and I hope they but in a good performance.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 95 - 07/05/2021 22:17:27    2340476

Link

Replying To gedupoutofit:  "Are Doyle and Clarke the only notable absentees?

It's quite a young panel and I hope to see some youngsters get a run. I hate to be negative but the squad is in a transition and it may take a couple of years of mediocre results for things to pick up.

Nonetheless, best of luck to the lads and I hope they but in a good performance."
Cormac Boyle, Adam Ennis,Johhny Bermingham injured Gary Greville Liam Varley Alan Devine not available or dropped Niall Mitchell Tommy Gallagher Shane Clavin still not 100%.Plus of course Clarke and Doyle it's some amount of absentees facing us. But it's a great opportunity for the starting fifteen. There will be trimmings but I think there is a big performance or two and hopefully all fit for Carlow

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 883 - 07/05/2021 23:30:21    2340486

Link