Westmeath Forum

Westmeath SHC 2021.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Thechick:  "Agree with valley ,hes a kid. This thread is about SHC and we are discussing lads 17"
Williams is going on 19 this year & is on the county senior team so it is related to the SHC

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 195 - 10/02/2021 17:30:35    2330942

Link

He was on the county senior panel in a shortened campaign, started very few matches and correctly so. Needs time to develop and the Gaels themselves will not be depending on him in crucial championship matches at barely 19. They need more established players to step up in the knockout matches. Raharney will be competitive once more, they have dominated under age championships for past 6-7 years and just need to give young blood a chance. Lots of talent in their ranks.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 10/02/2021 23:50:23    2330982

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "David Aughey, Sean Leech, Danny McCartan, Jack Geoghegan all Turin. Only Kevin Hogan and David Williams are with the Gaels"
Again discussing young lads on a SHC thread.
Turin are intermediate and will be for a long time as they have very small numbers and are the only club in the county surrounded by 5 senior clubs who pull players away from them

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1818 - 11/02/2021 09:24:06    2330999

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Again discussing young lads on a SHC thread.
Turin are intermediate and will be for a long time as they have very small numbers and are the only club in the county surrounded by 5 senior clubs who pull players away from them"
Well it was in relation to the SHC, as a previous poster mentioned about a lack of underage players coming up for the Gaels outside of Williams, so that's how it came about.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 11/02/2021 09:48:50    2331000

Link

Based on those names mentioned it would seem that Turin have learned from their neighbours in recruitment terms. Very few of those lads with Na Piarsaigh from what was the traditional Turin heartland. Can't really blame them as otherwise club would struggle to exist in a few years. The problem they might face is that football is first choice for at least half those players.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 11/02/2021 11:51:06    2331028

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Based on those names mentioned it would seem that Turin have learned from their neighbours in recruitment terms. Very few of those lads with Na Piarsaigh from what was the traditional Turin heartland. Can't really blame them as otherwise club would struggle to exist in a few years. The problem they might face is that football is first choice for at least half those players."
Do Turin have an actual area to pick from? Maybe a few townlands?
No pub, school, shop in that area.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1818 - 12/02/2021 11:25:22    2331170

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Do Turin have an actual area to pick from? Maybe a few townlands?
No pub, school, shop in that area."
I hear they are moving into Delvin

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 922 - 12/02/2021 16:32:39    2331213

Link

Replying To jobber:  "I hear they are moving into Delvin"
I suppose they have the good road all the way out there now

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1818 - 12/02/2021 18:01:33    2331231

Link

Hardly room for Turin in Delvin with Loman's and The Downs pulling the talented young players out of there over the past few years.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 13/02/2021 21:13:01    2331301

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Hardly room for Turin in Delvin with Loman's and The Downs pulling the talented young players out of there over the past few years."
I don't see your point. This is a discussion on hurling. Lomans and The Downs are footballing clubs.
Funny enough, 3 of the young Turin hurlers named previously play football with Lomans ??

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 762 - 13/02/2021 22:11:34    2331308

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Hardly room for Turin in Delvin with Loman's and The Downs pulling the talented young players out of there over the past few years."
Gaffney transferred to Lomans for the football. I'm sure he wanted to stick with delvin for the hurling but they didn't want him then. Don't know about the leavy lad. These lads opted to going to Lomans or. Being pulled in by Lomans at the end of the day was their own decision and knew that if they wanted to move for football they wouldn't get to play hurling. They haven't played hurling since which is obviously there own decision.
The two Drumm's who went too the downs never played hurling with delvin I don't think so mentioning them is irrelevant in the SHC forum.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 195 - 13/02/2021 22:17:00    2331310

Link

Has no relevance to this thread

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 14/02/2021 10:36:53    2331327

Link

A senior hurling club that's a dual club losing two players to a football club 10 miles and those young lads no longer hurling is certainly relevant to a discussion on senior hurling. Pretty certain if they were footballing with Delvin at least one of them would be also playing hurling. Rural clubs, especially in hurling need numbers.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 14/02/2021 11:45:42    2331329

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "A senior hurling club that's a dual club losing two players to a football club 10 miles and those young lads no longer hurling is certainly relevant to a discussion on senior hurling. Pretty certain if they were footballing with Delvin at least one of them would be also playing hurling. Rural clubs, especially in hurling need numbers."
You haven't a clue your saying stuff about the downs when the two drumms never played hurling which has no relevance to this forum at all.
The two other lads who went to Lomans has a bit of relevance, they knew that If they left they wouldn't be able to hurl with Delvin so it's nobody's fault but themselves and I'm sure if they were that interest in hurling they would've stayed or joined a different club.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 195 - 14/02/2021 12:03:47    2331331

Link

Replying To wd45:  "I am only going on what I seen last year and I was very impressed with them. They have the best young forward in the county and if management let go of some of the dead-wood they have then they will be close."
It's easy to say get rid of the dead wood but what I've seen of the Gaels underage the last couple of years they simply don't seem to have much in the way of viable alternatives to what they have. Yes young Williams is a talent bug that's just one player and he'll have the best opposition defenders marking him next year. I would say that the Gaels need more of a clear out with management as opposed to players, they are playing the same poor style for the past number of years with the same lads apparently involved on the line and some of the decisions they've made over the past couple of years, particularly in the semi final last year are quite simply mind boggling. It looks like they don't know how to utilise what they have in front of them. I'd imagine they must have a new management team in place this year after that, does anyone know who's over them this year?

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 14/02/2021 13:59:32    2331338

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "A senior hurling club that's a dual club losing two players to a football club 10 miles and those young lads no longer hurling is certainly relevant to a discussion on senior hurling. Pretty certain if they were footballing with Delvin at least one of them would be also playing hurling. Rural clubs, especially in hurling need numbers."
How on earth are the county board still facilitating this practice, it's been happening for years now that the senior clubs around Mullingar are cherry picking the best young talent from the smaller clubs in the North of the county. It's happening in hurling and football, clonkill, downs, Lomans, shamrocks all guilty of it and smaller rural clubs who are putting in huge work developing these players are being stung time and time again. Are the bigger clubs not content or willing to develop their own young lads? Are they afraid of the potential of the other clubs competing with them in the future?? Are the county board only interested in having a few superclubs operating in the county??? It's killing development in the county and it's a practice that the county board needs to put an end to or have they even the appetite to do so?

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 14/02/2021 15:43:28    2331344

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "It's easy to say get rid of the dead wood but what I've seen of the Gaels underage the last couple of years they simply don't seem to have much in the way of viable alternatives to what they have. Yes young Williams is a talent bug that's just one player and he'll have the best opposition defenders marking him next year. I would say that the Gaels need more of a clear out with management as opposed to players, they are playing the same poor style for the past number of years with the same lads apparently involved on the line and some of the decisions they've made over the past couple of years, particularly in the semi final last year are quite simply mind boggling. It looks like they don't know how to utilise what they have in front of them. I'd imagine they must have a new management team in place this year after that, does anyone know who's over them this year?"
Relatively same lads involved from what I'm told

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 14/02/2021 16:23:28    2331348

Link

I know we are digressing off topic but I certainly would have sympathy for the smaller clubs trying to survive. The rich get richer and all that. With the no parish rule in WH and no sense of loyalty to your club, in many cases parents argue that they just want their 'Johnny' to play with their friends who happen to be in a bigger club. I guess around a large town the population can be quite transient with no club affiliation and see it like soccer.
Anyway apologies.
Clonkill to retain their title.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 762 - 14/02/2021 19:48:37    2331372

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "Relatively same lads involved from what I'm told"
Surprised by that, it appears it's not just up and coming players that are in short supply over there

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 14/02/2021 19:50:28    2331373

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "Relatively same lads involved from what I'm told"
Surprised to hear that

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 14/02/2021 21:03:06    2331383

Link