Leitrim Forum

Leitrim U-20S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Maybe Sean Hagan will take them next year!!! We are a shambles . 90% of the team was picked within a 10 mins drive of St Mary's club. Maybe they are the best in the county but it doesn't boed well for the county as a whole If that is the case. 7 players from 1 club starting management from the same club. Again I question the what's going on in this county. We were told around 10 years ago that basically all club coaches were coaching wrong and that's why county teams weren't winning games. 10 Years ago we were more than competitive at all ages. Now we have full time coaches a number Of years going around to clubs to improve the standard of coaching and in return the county teams will improve. Well everything has to be questioned cause this is not happening. At the next county board meeting delegates need to ask the head of coaching in the county to be present at the next meeting and get him to outline the vision for this county set targets and if they aren't met get rid of him. We can't be out fundraising and crippling clubs to keep producing these results year in year out and no accountability. The day of jobs for the boys is long gone in this country but clearly not gone in Leitrim GAA.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 06/07/2021 23:08:07    2357194

Link

I'd like to add tuppence to / seek clarity on the following?

poor management - I've heard testament from lads on the panel and on last year's minor panel as to the contributions of Emlyn Mulligan and Jimmy Guckian to the set up which were brilliant. Not fair to tar the whole set up like that.

uncommitted players - I'd like to hear some evidence to back that up? With senior players like Prior Bruen Keaney and the likes of Sean Reynolds in goals I would expect lads to be taking their cue from them.

huge egos - of whom? How did they affect tonight's result? More info please?

the lad culture - how does that factor into tonight's
result?

poor diets / drinking - has anyone any evidence of these lads bursting the **** of their shorts or bellies protruding from the jersey? Have they been caught in Carrick at 11.35 pm with a pint in hand?

not following gym programs and instructions - Listen back to Enda McGinley on Off the Ball today, he was excellent on this. Six months gym won't make a bit of difference unless they've been at it consistent since U15 level. Not entirely managements fault. Needs to be emphasis from club on this.

the naivety of leitrim club football - possibly a factor but can't lay that at the door of the Management team.

the acceptance of mediocrity - By the county board I presume? There's definitely people need weeding out but where's the quality or the visionaries making noise about coming in and shaking it up. We don't have any Michael Duignan - esque figures leading a coup on the County Convention *in any year*. FACT. Jim Gavin wouldn't win a raffle with our seniors never mind much more. Sometimes the numbers and the demographic is just against you and that's it?

the substandard coaching and the low expectations demanded of these players throughout their football careers up to now that have led to this latest embarrasment. - Yet again that's surely not just a factor affecting this game? How exactly did this affect the panel of players that took the field tonight. Specific examples please?

For the record I'm those are genuine observations and I'm keen to hear replies and opinions.

4-16 to 0-10. 20 scores to 10.

Roscommon were 1/20 going into this. I thought we were great value at 15/2, shocked when I seen the result.

Thought it would have been much closer.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 332 - 06/07/2021 23:24:05    2357201

Link

In response to dodgy pass can he define how the coaching staff of messrs Mulligan and J Guckian were praised or what were good about their contributions?

I myself don't buy the ego thing...from the players anyway, and I don't accept at that age there should be such a gap in standard with other counties, no matter if we had only five clubs to pick from.

There was nothing about this current set up that was going to work, it was tried before. The question is who sanctioned it to be tried again so soon. Surely there were other coaches that went for this role that might have changed things up.

I saw a tweet saying there were no North Leitrim, South Leitrim or East Leitrim (wherever that is) players on the panel. How is this please? Is there no decent youth footballer to be got from Gortletteragh to Kinlough?

the_creeler (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 07/07/2021 11:13:48    2357292

Link

Replying To the_creeler:  "In response to dodgy pass can he define how the coaching staff of messrs Mulligan and J Guckian were praised or what were good about their contributions?

I myself don't buy the ego thing...from the players anyway, and I don't accept at that age there should be such a gap in standard with other counties, no matter if we had only five clubs to pick from.

There was nothing about this current set up that was going to work, it was tried before. The question is who sanctioned it to be tried again so soon. Surely there were other coaches that went for this role that might have changed things up.

I saw a tweet saying there were no North Leitrim, South Leitrim or East Leitrim (wherever that is) players on the panel. How is this please? Is there no decent youth footballer to be got from Gortletteragh to Kinlough?"
Anyone got a link to the panel and what clubs they are from? Very strange alright that the panel are mostly from within 10 mins of Carrick, I have heard of the phrase Carrick centric being thrown around but it also just smacks of favouritism or a cost saving exercise.
What hope do we have of progression as a county when that rubbish from last Tuesday is deemed acceptable?

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 247 - 08/07/2021 10:54:19    2357613

Link

Replying To gaelsboy:  "Anyone got a link to the panel and what clubs they are from? Very strange alright that the panel are mostly from within 10 mins of Carrick, I have heard of the phrase Carrick centric being thrown around but it also just smacks of favouritism or a cost saving exercise.
What hope do we have of progression as a county when that rubbish from last Tuesday is deemed acceptable?"
Not about the coaches or favouritism , our players are not simply good enough.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 186 - 08/07/2021 12:26:55    2357641

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "Not about the coaches or favouritism , our players are not simply good enough."
Interesting thread. It seems though if players have been picked from a small area then there is an issue.

kick-it (Leitrim) - Posts: 22 - 09/07/2021 08:31:08    2357927

Link

Replying To kick-it:  "Interesting thread. It seems though if players have been picked from a small area then there is an issue."
Exactly, I get the idea of reduced unnecessary travel but travel within your county has been allowed for months now, smells a bit fishy and like they didn't want any travel expenses coming in.
That would not be the case in any other county and if you are gonna treat your young lads like that don't bother entering a team at all

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 247 - 09/07/2021 12:45:20    2358010

Link

A disasterclass from this team on Tuesday evening . Very good performance for 30 mins before what can only be described as 5 mins of insanity. A black card and an eventual sin bin led to us conceding 4-3 by the time Gavin Reynolds was back on the field . Very strange decision by management to get rid of the sweeper for the second half when we were a man down , this was a time when a sweeper would've been crucial and if it was me I would've put another man back . The loss of Donal Casey was huge , he would've played a vital roll at centre back , unfortunately he has struggled with injuries throughout the last number of years but he is arguably one of the best footballers in the county on his day . A lot has been said about the selection of the amount of players from the st.Mary's club but I would have to say each of them deserves to be there as they are all good footballers . Although, majority of these players did not show up against roscommon at all , and I was very disappointed with the performance of the big O'Connell lad from carrick who played excellently for st Mary's in the senior championship last year. Our full back line got an outrageous roasting from the roscommon full forwards who were very sharp infront of goal . In saying that , no.4 patrick McKenna did impress and kicked a great score in the first half . I believe the game was lost at midfield as we failed to win kickouts and deliver good ball into the forwards . Tom prior tried his best , and his direct running style is so hard to defend. He got three great scores and deserves to be starting against Mayo on Sunday . Moran from Allen Gaels and mcweeney of kiltubrid also tried their black best but we were just outclassed by a far better roscommon team . When will we ever get over the line against the rossies? Leitrim football is in a terrible place and the performance on Tuesday did not help it one bit .

leitrimman1994 (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 09/07/2021 17:16:53    2358107

Link

It pains me to see underage football in Leitrim in such a terrible place. And is also pains me to see our close neighbours and biggest rivals achieving so much success on the football field at under age level. Roscommon have now in the past few days won the Connacht under 20 title beating Mayo in the final and also beat Mayo in the minor championship last night. Both of these victories over mayo were comprehensive wins.

When in gods name could you ever see Leitrim beating mayo in an under 20 final followed up by beating mayo in a minor championship within the same week??

Now Roscommon are no different than Leitrim, they have a bigger population yes, but the majority of their clubs are similar in structure to ours, rural and have a similar membership size to ours. They have 28 clubs to put 24.

We are so similar yet worlds apart. What are Roscommon clubs doing different to us? Their u-20's are Connacht champs, their minors beat mayo, gave them a hiding!! What's up with us?

Whats the difference in the guy from one side of the bridge in roosky where bornacoola and killglass in Roscommon meet, Leitrim village - Leitrim Gael's and St Michael's in Roscommon meet, ck on Shannon - st Mary's and Shannon Gael's in Roscommon meet and other bordering clubs along Leitrim and Roscommon - - - - because one thing is certainly clear now and that is - something is different!!

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 491 - 24/07/2021 11:05:35    2363373

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "It pains me to see underage football in Leitrim in such a terrible place. And is also pains me to see our close neighbours and biggest rivals achieving so much success on the football field at under age level. Roscommon have now in the past few days won the Connacht under 20 title beating Mayo in the final and also beat Mayo in the minor championship last night. Both of these victories over mayo were comprehensive wins.

When in gods name could you ever see Leitrim beating mayo in an under 20 final followed up by beating mayo in a minor championship within the same week??

Now Roscommon are no different than Leitrim, they have a bigger population yes, but the majority of their clubs are similar in structure to ours, rural and have a similar membership size to ours. They have 28 clubs to put 24.

We are so similar yet worlds apart. What are Roscommon clubs doing different to us? Their u-20's are Connacht champs, their minors beat mayo, gave them a hiding!! What's up with us?

Whats the difference in the guy from one side of the bridge in roosky where bornacoola and killglass in Roscommon meet, Leitrim village - Leitrim Gael's and St Michael's in Roscommon meet, ck on Shannon - st Mary's and Shannon Gael's in Roscommon meet and other bordering clubs along Leitrim and Roscommon - - - - because one thing is certainly clear now and that is - something is different!!"
As mentioned before by someone the amalgamations at underage most likely allowing good players who can't get games with their clubs fall through the cracks. The county board has to stop that. Roscommon are just on a lucky streak. They'll get hammered in all Ireland series

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 374 - 24/07/2021 13:29:25    2363417

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "It pains me to see underage football in Leitrim in such a terrible place. And is also pains me to see our close neighbours and biggest rivals achieving so much success on the football field at under age level. Roscommon have now in the past few days won the Connacht under 20 title beating Mayo in the final and also beat Mayo in the minor championship last night. Both of these victories over mayo were comprehensive wins.

Whats the difference in the guy from one side of the bridge in roosky where bornacoola and killglass in Roscommon meet, Leitrim village - Leitrim Gael's and St Michael's in Roscommon meet, ck on Shannon - st Mary's and Shannon Gael's in Roscommon meet and other bordering clubs along Leitrim and Roscommon - - - - because one thing is certainly clear now and that is - something is different!!"
I like Leitrim and wish them well but in all honesty how can you say we are rivals? We aren't rivals since 2004 in all honesty, that's 17 years ago.

I hope ye get back on track with your new management but without proper underage structure its going to be difficult.

Gaa_fan1234 (Roscommon) - Posts: 13 - 26/07/2021 00:24:34    2364135

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "As mentioned before by someone the amalgamations at underage most likely allowing good players who can't get games with their clubs fall through the cracks. The county board has to stop that. Roscommon are just on a lucky streak. They'll get hammered in all Ireland series"
Amalgamation of clubs has sure helped us with our lucky streak, await the hammering for us if that is what helps you sleep at night. If I were you I would be more worried about getting your own county in order at underage than waiting for us to get hammered.

Good luck to Leitrim minors against Sligo, it's a great opportunity for either county to make it to the final.

Gaa_fan1234 (Roscommon) - Posts: 13 - 26/07/2021 07:51:33    2364157

Link

Replying To Gaa_fan1234:  "Amalgamation of clubs has sure helped us with our lucky streak, await the hammering for us if that is what helps you sleep at night. If I were you I would be more worried about getting your own county in order at underage than waiting for us to get hammered.

Good luck to Leitrim minors against Sligo, it's a great opportunity for either county to make it to the final."
What happens in Roscommon would not be on my highest list of priorities to keep me awake at night. Indeed that is what this forum is about, discussing Leitrim football, yet Roscommon posters always come on here talking about their teams, so what are we to do? I understand you have one person running the show on your own forum but you're most welcome to add your thoughts here about Leitrim football. Have a great and blessed day.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 374 - 26/07/2021 13:04:09    2364264

Link

Replying To Gaa_fan1234:  "I like Leitrim and wish them well but in all honesty how can you say we are rivals? We aren't rivals since 2004 in all honesty, that's 17 years ago.

I hope ye get back on track with your new management but without proper underage structure its going to be difficult."
It's the same outlook really as youse thinking Mayo are your biggest rivals when even your own local newspaper say Mayo couldn't care less.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 374 - 26/07/2021 13:05:06    2364266

Link