Carlow Forum

Hurling Manager?

(Oldest Posts First)

Well? Has anyone got any information from a "reliable Source"? I'd hoped it would've been settled at this stage.

Ashwielder (Carlow) - Posts: 94 - 11/01/2021 18:39:23    2327022

Link

Hoping DJ. It's a good fit with his involvement with the IT.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1211 - 11/01/2021 22:14:36    2327053

Link

It could well be DJ as he has stepped down from Kilkeñny back room team.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 532 - 12/01/2021 07:53:07    2327069

Link

Looks like he is being considered anyway..

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/kilkenny-legend-dj-carey-tipped-to-take-reins-with-carlow-hurlers-39941222.html

iacob (Carlow) - Posts: 65 - 12/01/2021 09:48:42    2327072

Link

Not to get carried away just yet, but would be a great appointment if it happens.

One of the greatest of all time as a player, has done great work with IT Carlow over the years and knows the scene/players in Carlow.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 116 - 12/01/2021 15:11:17    2327135

Link

I see his name in media linked to Carlow job. Certainly he seems to have something in the management stakes given how well he did with Carlow IT - not a traditional hurling stronghold. It seems his son is on the fringes of the KK panel and it has been suggested he may not want to be overshadowing him there, so part of the reason for him moving on. Who knows.

Shefflin, Eddie Brennan and DJ would be the frontrunners to succeed Cody - anyway we will see where it goes but if it does certainly a positive appointment and a real vote of confidence in hurling in the county by someone who would not want to get involved in a sub par setup, particularly as a stepping stone to a bigger job.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 483 - 13/01/2021 12:04:40    2327232

Link

Sadly its almost certain it wont be DJ.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2199 - 13/01/2021 18:25:10    2327282

Link

Along with Tyrone hurlers are we only ones still without a manager.

Dj would be great appointment for hurlers. Done amazing work in carlow it.

ITSCHOLAR (Carlow) - Posts: 262 - 14/01/2021 07:41:12    2327347

Link

Tom Mullally just got announced as manager.

Good choice and apart from his run with MLR to the AllIreland, he's been managing Wexford U21s the last few years.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1211 - 21/01/2021 21:44:18    2328401

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Tom Mullally just got announced as manager.

Good choice and apart from his run with MLR to the AllIreland, he's been managing Wexford U21s the last few years."
I think it's a really good appointment, tactically very good which was lacking a lot in the last while.

Skippy2 (Carlow) - Posts: 37 - 21/01/2021 22:41:07    2328411

Link

Solid appointment, obviously has done great work at club level with MLR and Clara. Knows the players, so hopegul of a good response.

It's a tough job though. The lack of depth in the squad for the Joe McDonagh this year was very worrying and couple that with an aging team, he's got a big job on his hands.

Wish him all the best!

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 116 - 22/01/2021 08:28:42    2328430

Link

Replying To TaosHum:  "Solid appointment, obviously has done great work at club level with MLR and Clara. Knows the players, so hopegul of a good response.

It's a tough job though. The lack of depth in the squad for the Joe McDonagh this year was very worrying and couple that with an aging team, he's got a big job on his hands.

Wish him all the best!"
Good appointment knows club scene well has had a lot of success. Also any of the mlr contingent who may have been on fence with this another year may do so.

Also Carlow job is a stepping stone to a bigger county for him.

Agree regarding age of team a lot of players getting wrong side of 29 30years of age. These players have given fantastic service over the years and will hopefully give it one more year and finish with some silverware as they deserve to.

Regarding underage teams i knows last years minor hurlers where highly regarded and unlucky to lose to westmeath. We have had some success at under 21 over last few years correct me if I'm wrong. Are these players ready to step up now to senior level.

Small pick has and always will be our biggest enemy to get to next level.

ITSCHOLAR (Carlow) - Posts: 262 - 22/01/2021 11:50:19    2328480

Link

Excellent appointment from.so many perspectives and Tom has now added experience to his formidable coaching expertise and knowledge of the Carlow hurling club scene.
As others have pointed out the current squad of players have given a huge amount to the county shirt and have a lot of miileage on the clock.
But I think there is definitely still a big kick left In them and a new set up will encourage them to stay on for the year at least.
Looking forward to watching the team this year, whenever it gets started.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1571 - 22/01/2021 12:08:24    2328484

Link

Decent appointment from what i know of him and heard from other who had direct dealings with him decent guy and decent coach hopefully can manage too.

Only concerns most of his notable successes are now nearly 10 years ago has the game moved on? time will tell.
His success also came when talent was already available not sure how much can be attributed to his development skills maybe someone involved with the MLR 2012-2014 setup might be able to give opinion to that?.
His credentials in recent times has had lots of underage & U20 involvement with limited success Minors Vs Westmeath this year wouldn't be fabulous audition i my opinion also Wex 20 sides didnt deliver but we will see.

Best of luck to him, from what i have been told of him he will want to look to future and will try to what best for hurling in Carlow and leave it in a better place.

Blow-in2 (Carlow) - Posts: 20 - 22/01/2021 13:10:48    2328494

Link

Replying To ITSCHOLAR:  "Good appointment knows club scene well has had a lot of success. Also any of the mlr contingent who may have been on fence with this another year may do so.

Also Carlow job is a stepping stone to a bigger county for him.

Agree regarding age of team a lot of players getting wrong side of 29 30years of age. These players have given fantastic service over the years and will hopefully give it one more year and finish with some silverware as they deserve to.

Regarding underage teams i knows last years minor hurlers where highly regarded and unlucky to lose to westmeath. We have had some success at under 21 over last few years correct me if I'm wrong. Are these players ready to step up now to senior level.

Small pick has and always will be our biggest enemy to get to next level."
Looking at the club championships there is plenty of talent there.

There was 11 players from the county named in Fitzgibbon panels for 2021 so there are good players in the county.

We need people to commit and a bit of luck with injuries to have a great year.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1211 - 24/01/2021 22:38:31    2328831

Link

Commitment really is going to determine how far this team can go this year.

Looking at the league, getting to the final really has to be the minimum expected. Fixtures haven't been released yet, but given the restriction, I think getting Down and Kerry at home would be huge. Offaly will be there also, but travelling to Tullamore not as severe as Killarney or Newry on a Sunday morning.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 116 - 25/01/2021 09:25:03    2328849

Link

Paddy Mullally and John Dermody added to the hurlers as Coaches.

Very strong team now in place.

Should be a good year when it gets going.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1211 - 03/02/2021 21:43:02    2330230

Link