Kerry Forum

A Winter Of Discontent: Post Championship Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The winter just keeps getting darker eh?

Honestly thank God for Munster last night and that their heroics which consumed my attention.

Just so utterly disillusioned with the GAA at this point, how could they destroy our biggest sport just to earn a few more million from Dublin kids asking Santa for Dublin jerseys instead of Leinster or Man U ones.

How will it ever be put right now?

I think you're right Horse about a county coming out and saying we refuse to honour this fixture against Dublin. That might be the only thing now to break the levee.

Its just so utterly depressing you feel like pretending the All Ireland doesn't exist anymore.

Why does everything in this modern world have to be destroyed for the sake of someone, somewhere making a bit more money.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5972 - 20/12/2020 20:40:55    2324808

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Oh i think Dubs are skilful and the high fielding of Howard and Fenton very skilful. Con ó Callaghan Mannion very skilful too. However Liffeylad I don't think you grasp the English language too well. Kerry 15 did nt say they were nt skilful. Also a few days ago you said Tralee Gerry inferred Cork would beat Dublin in another false claim. When u took you to task you failed to reply. In future read the posts carefully before you reply and then you might get it right."
I know what I read and I have fine grasp of the English language thank you. I think you are the one that needs to reread these posts. He said Kerry were more skilful than Dublin so I asked him would that mean Cork would beat Dublin I don't see the issue with that. He says Dublin are not skilful and I questioned how did they manage to win so therefore explain to me what I have misread

Liffeylad (Dublin) - Posts: 28 - 20/12/2020 21:13:22    2324825

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Look Kboy Dublin play to a system. That does nt mean there not skilful. Its a means to an end. Its a kind of basketball system of holding possession until a shot is on. Kerry had a hand passing system in the late 70 s early 80 s. Most of the dubs gave all the skills but yes are athletic too. There are good players great players very skilful players and mavericks. The likes of Roy Keane in soccer even by his own admission was nt very skilful but he was a great player. Some dub players have just ordinary skills but are great players and some like Fenton Mccarthy Mannion Con are very skilful players
The mavericks are different. They are the guys that can do what most can't and Connolly was one of them as was Maurice Fitz and Ciarán McDonald. Imo opinion though Von ó Callaghan is up there with the most skilful forwards around like Clifford Shane Walsh."
We'll agree to disagree on this Mick, I know what I see with my eyes and you see something different with yours and that's fine, COC is a beast of a young lad and an amazing athlete but I see nothing spectacular from him that I haven't seen from different footballers from many different counties down through the years, I look at him and at this dublin team and I see beige bland robotics, every match is a copy and paste of 1 of the game before .

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12393 - 20/12/2020 22:01:58    2324863

Link

In the era of Kerry's golden years it was straight knockout. This is what championship is all about. In fairness in that time, maybe Cork were the second best team in the country at the time and they were pipped off in the Munster final. I know that Offaly done great work and built towards 1982. That Kerry team was some team and knowing that one defeat means year is over adds to the pressure.

The landscape has now changed with the bank door meaning that usually the best teams will contest the final. In fairness this Dublin team does not need a second chance.

To say that the big guns were knocked out early in the campaign with Tyrone and Donegal with early exits in Ulster and Kerry in Munster also falling by wayside. That should not take from a great championship. Nobody could deny Cavan an Ulster title and Tipperary's dream in Munster.

We might say that Dublin won an All Ireland without playing a D1 side of 2021. That should not take away from what was a great year being the year that was in it. There was more important things than the GAA this year but the GAA deserves great credit for having a championship this year and my highlight was a one chance only championship. The magic was special this year.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2831 - 20/12/2020 22:32:59    2324882

Link

Replying To Liffeylad:  "I know what I read and I have fine grasp of the English language thank you. I think you are the one that needs to reread these posts. He said Kerry were more skilful than Dublin so I asked him would that mean Cork would beat Dublin I don't see the issue with that. He says Dublin are not skilful and I questioned how did they manage to win so therefore explain to me what I have misread"
TraleeGerry felt Kerry were more skilful than Dublin. That does nt mean he thought Kerry would beat Dublin and certainly not that Cork would beat Dubs. That was you making assumptions. Kerry 15 did not say Dublin were nt skilful he said they play with less skill. Comprende? You are twisting the words used. For what it's worth I think Dublin are very skilful.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1442 - 20/12/2020 22:48:40    2324891

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Look Kboy Dublin play to a system. That does nt mean there not skilful. Its a means to an end. Its a kind of basketball system of holding possession until a shot is on. Kerry had a hand passing system in the late 70 s early 80 s. Most of the dubs gave all the skills but yes are athletic too. There are good players great players very skilful players and mavericks. The likes of Roy Keane in soccer even by his own admission was nt very skilful but he was a great player. Some dub players have just ordinary skills but are great players and some like Fenton Mccarthy Mannion Con are very skilful players
The mavericks are different. They are the guys that can do what most can't and Connolly was one of them as was Maurice Fitz and Ciarán McDonald. Imo opinion though Von ó Callaghan is up there with the most skilful forwards around like Clifford Shane Walsh."
Con O'Callaghan one of the best players in the country but nowhere near as skilful as a Clifford or Shane Walsh. He is strong, direct, powerful, a great ball winner but not particularly skilful. He only kicks points you'd expect any player to kick and he doesn't pick out amazing passes. A fantastic player no doubt one of the best forwards in the country but not one of the most skilful. Clifford and Walsh can do things with a size 5 others can only dream of.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 644 - 20/12/2020 23:21:27    2324907

Link

Jack l have to agree with you it gave the whole country a lift having a championship even though my beloved kingdom went out rather tamely.. You probably know my feelings on dublin that the whole thing has really gone pro and dublin were the only county with the money to provide the players with what they have and get but I suppose you cannot blame the players for it sure looks like the 7/8/9/10 in a row in on. I think there was better times in the seventies when you had keavney mullins hanahoe Cullen. And our lads paudi. Micky. Power. Great Times. Good luck to you. You seem like a true gael

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 653 - 20/12/2020 23:57:47    2324921

Link

Hermit great post. You are spot on it will take something special to stop the rot

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 653 - 21/12/2020 00:01:55    2324924

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "We'll agree to disagree on this Mick, I know what I see with my eyes and you see something different with yours and that's fine, COC is a beast of a young lad and an amazing athlete but I see nothing spectacular from him that I haven't seen from different footballers from many different counties down through the years, I look at him and at this dublin team and I see beige bland robotics, every match is a copy and paste of 1 of the game before ."
When I read a post like this I realise how little you understand or know about Gaelic football. Con has only developed that muscalature in recent years. He possessed outstanding skills before that as a footballer and a hurler. He kicks beautifully off both feet, he is an incredible fielder, he has an amazing side step etc. Most people who know anything about football have said he has incredible technique. I know it may give you some shred of comfort to peddle this beige robot tripe but your prejudice and green tinted spectacles blind you to the truth. I thought Kerry folk knew their football- apparently not.

avonali (Dublin) - Posts: 1519 - 21/12/2020 08:23:16    2324943

Link

Replying To avonali:  "When I read a post like this I realise how little you understand or know about Gaelic football. Con has only developed that muscalature in recent years. He possessed outstanding skills before that as a footballer and a hurler. He kicks beautifully off both feet, he is an incredible fielder, he has an amazing side step etc. Most people who know anything about football have said he has incredible technique. I know it may give you some shred of comfort to peddle this beige robot tripe but your prejudice and green tinted spectacles blind you to the truth. I thought Kerry folk knew their football- apparently not."
He's a great athlete and a very good footballer Avon but nothing special skill wise, why does that bother you? He's doing the job he's been trained to do and yer winning all around ye so who cares?

For me I haven't seen anything from him skill wise that I haven't seen from a hundred different county forwards.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12393 - 21/12/2020 10:17:54    2324991

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "He's a great athlete and a very good footballer Avon but nothing special skill wise, why does that bother you? He's doing the job he's been trained to do and yer winning all around ye so who cares?

For me I haven't seen anything from him skill wise that I haven't seen from a hundred different county forwards."
I would have to agree with Avon here Kboy. Would you consider Paul Geaney very skilful? I would. Now Con Ó C is just the same but with a better side step and much stronger than Paul. I We have enough of forwards in Kerry and that's not our problem area but I'd take him with both hands

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1442 - 21/12/2020 12:40:35    2325050

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I would have to agree with Avon here Kboy. Would you consider Paul Geaney very skilful? I would. Now Con Ó C is just the same but with a better side step and much stronger than Paul. I We have enough of forwards in Kerry and that's not our problem area but I'd take him with both hands"
I wouldn't consider Paul overly skilled Mick, hes a very good ball winner and a good kicker but I wouldn't have him in the same class as Gooch or Clifford Mikey or Maurice, for me JOD was very skilful but injuries curtailed him, Darren had lovely soccer touches but was mainly a speedster and he used to blast the ball instead of placing it, I remember him knocking out the Armagh goalie in a league game 10 years ago in the athletic grounds with a belt of a ball.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12393 - 21/12/2020 14:30:53    2325089

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I would have to agree with Avon here Kboy. Would you consider Paul Geaney very skilful? I would. Now Con Ó C is just the same but with a better side step and much stronger than Paul. I We have enough of forwards in Kerry and that's not our problem area but I'd take him with both hands"
I would consider Geaney skilful. Not as skilful as the likes of Clifford and Shane Walsh but more skilful than Con O'Callaghan. I'm not knocking Con O'Callaghan I'd take him with both hands for Kerry too, I'd probably play him wing forward.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 644 - 21/12/2020 16:51:00    2325134

Link

Fair enough Kerry although tbh honest I'm happy enough with our forward talent but I would nt mind getting a midfielder like Fenton and a back like McCarthy or Paddy Durcan.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1442 - 21/12/2020 17:01:26    2325142

Link

Congratulations Kerry on winning an unprecedented 8 minor Munster titles in a row. Fantastic achievement. It brings a good end to the year.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 151 - 23/12/2020 00:21:45    2325582

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Congratulations Kerry on winning an unprecedented 8 minor Munster titles in a row. Fantastic achievement. It brings a good end to the year."
Thanks Forever young.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1442 - 23/12/2020 14:14:45    2325666

Link