Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gunman:  "Good to see Declan is staying on.While 3 in a row would have been great the fact that we won a major game to stay in Div 1 might prove very important for our development in the long run,We will get a chance to put things right very quickly as the new season is just around the corner.Talking of managers with the appointment of Logan and Dooher games with Tyrone are likely to be even more feisty if the U-21 battles we had with them is anything to go by."
Ya makes no sense changing with the new season nearly upon us. I would certainly hope it is the same for his backroom team. There really was only one other viable alternative whom might not have been interested anyways. It is certainly going to be interesting what happens with Tyrone with the new voices. I am hoping we are on different sides of the draw this year seem to be drawing one another in first or second rounds all too regularly including underage.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2458 - 26/11/2020 12:07:18    2315580

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Tyrone are a less physical team than Cavan? You seriously haven't a clue. Good luck."
Lol, yes Tyrone are real shrinking violets alright when it comes to physicality. Mattie Donnelly, the McGearys, McNamee, McKenna et al really would want to start eating more spuds.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 26/11/2020 12:20:11    2315584

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Lol, yes Tyrone are real shrinking violets alright when it comes to physicality. Mattie Donnelly, the McGearys, McNamee, McKenna et al really would want to start eating more spuds."
In what world does less physical equate to skrinking violets???

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 34 - 26/11/2020 12:32:55    2315586

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Tyrone are a less physical team than Cavan? You seriously haven't a clue. Good luck."
A fine closing statement from Barrister Brolly.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 34 - 26/11/2020 12:40:44    2315588

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "In what world does less physical equate to skrinking violets???"
Ok, for arguments sake, lets just look a few players that we started the other day.

Neil McGee - Neil had S&C sorted at birth.
Hugh McFadden - Hardly lacking
Murphy - same as McGee
McGonigle - Not lacking either
P Brennan - Solid
Langan - no S&C needed there
McBrearty - ok, wasn't fully match fit but lacking S&C?
J Brennan - poor game but not lacking anything S&C wise, he has probably developed himself more in that regard than any other player the last few years.
Jason McGee & Ciaran Thompson came on, hardly lacking either?
McCole - a big lad as well, not much more power need there.
Eoghan Ban? Pretty much a prototype modern footballer in terms of pace and power

You can't "make" the likes of Mogan, the McHughs any bigger. But you can adjust where they play, switch them etc to try and get them into games if they're being kept quiet.

So this S&C stuff is a fallacy. We wouldn't be a Div1 team if we weren't at it in terms of S&C.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 26/11/2020 13:02:31    2315598

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Ya makes no sense changing with the new season nearly upon us. I would certainly hope it is the same for his backroom team. There really was only one other viable alternative whom might not have been interested anyways. It is certainly going to be interesting what happens with Tyrone with the new voices. I am hoping we are on different sides of the draw this year seem to be drawing one another in first or second rounds all too regularly including underage."
I'd agree with this. The new season will be on us very quickly after Christmas. Now is not the time for management change or significant playing personnel changes. I see another thread on here about potential new players, but realistically, if a player was not ready 8 weeks ago after the county championships then hard to see how they would be ready to join the squad in January to be ready for games in Feb. Anyone who is brought in would be on the fringes for next year.

By the sounds of it some kind of league will run off in Feb/ Mar with Championship starting in late April. Literally no time away. We could be celebrating an Ulster title soon enough. That squad learned a costly lesson on Sunday about mental attitude and how sloppiness can creep in. I'd say they will be itching to get tore into it next season.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 247 - 26/11/2020 14:05:12    2315618

Link

Exactly. I'm sure if you'd asked our lads if they wanted to replay the Ulster final the very next day they would have.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 26/11/2020 14:23:03    2315625

Link

Keep going as we are nothing is going to change, what happens after the next collapse on a big day in a game we are strong favs to win? How many times does it have to happen until we admit there's a problem that needs to be fixed? Change is needed or else we are just going to get more of the same.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1076 - 26/11/2020 14:39:01    2315630

Link

Same old as u where in 2021. The county board must be pretty thick skinned as well sitting on the fence watching the demise when they should be up in arms! Quite a few suggestions as what players should be given a chance or why players left or would not commit. Players are human and have brains and they are able to see that there is a bias as regards selection and substitutions. Jamie Brennan seems to immune to any of this. There will probably be more walk aways after Sunday's debacle a situation created by inept managing. McCole has to be commended for hanging in after being warming the bench ever since Mickey Newman showed him clean heels. Bar the injuries to McGrath,McMenamin and the unavailable McFaddenFerry he would have been lookin in again against Cavan.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 254 - 26/11/2020 15:31:03    2315644

Link

Good to see bonner commiting for another year hopefully all the back room team come back .wasn't sure if they would. Time to move on best men are there.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 850 - 26/11/2020 15:36:44    2315647

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "Keep going as we are nothing is going to change, what happens after the next collapse on a big day in a game we are strong favs to win? How many times does it have to happen until we admit there's a problem that needs to be fixed? Change is needed or else we are just going to get more of the same."
Donegal have been collapsing in finals for donkeys years. I'm not sure if or how they use a sports phycologist, but that might be something to look at.

I don't accept there is an issue with S&C or anything fundamentally wrong with team prep or player selection (I haven't heard many complaints on here either). Bonner and selectors have done a good job in rebuilding this young team but he can't do it for them. If that team are worth their salt they will be feeling the pain now and and will be itching to get going again. They shouldn't need a phycologist to be motivated for next year

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 247 - 26/11/2020 15:44:22    2315651

Link

Glad to see it confirmed so soon that Bonner is staying on. I've been critical of Bonner's management of this side, and of his underage sides and club sides in the past, however despite the disappointment of last weekend, I don't think it would be wise to change management at this point.

Although Bonner, generally, is very astute tactically, and sets his team out very well at the beginning of the match, I've always thought he struggles when it comes to changing a game. I had hoped Rochford would provide that quality but it became clear from the start of the partnership that Rochford was not the man leading the mid-game tactical changes. I would hope that the management team has learned a great deal from last weekend. But how many more lessons does Bonner need. He's been managing teams since the 1980s.

Give him 2021, the quick turnaround will suit Donegal as the scars of the Athletic Grounds will still be red raw in April. After 2021 we will see a number of retirements. I think that would be the more natural time for a new cycle to begin. Whether Bonner is the man for that job, I don't know.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 195 - 26/11/2020 16:07:23    2315656

Link

Yeah I think we need to park last Sunday's debacle at this stage and move on. Declan wasn't shy in getting Rochford on board if it meant it was to improve things. Maybe there is room in the backroom team for a sports psychologist?

Anyway, as others have said already, if the players aren't as sickened as we are then there would be something seriously wrong. Ulster 2021 won't be long coming around. It'll be a case of resetting and going again. No team in Ulster will fancy playing us if we have a full deck.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 26/11/2020 16:12:18    2315662

Link

In relation to next season the gaa have to be prudent and maybe not commit to a course of action too soon. Certainly don't commit until the vaccine roll out plan is defined.

Say a vaccine is fully in place by June,/July and crowds can go back to matches I don't think they would like or could afford to have lost out on two years of intercounty gate receipts. The club game would not generate the same amount of revenue and by the time crowds get bigger for club matches should be able to accommodate the numbers. Why not then have intercounty starting end of aug/start of sept and and run league and championship off in 4 mths. More generally I think intercounty should come first but maybe next year do it the other way around. it might end up being the best way to proceed in the circumstances.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 336 - 26/11/2020 16:54:23    2315677

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "In relation to next season the gaa have to be prudent and maybe not commit to a course of action too soon. Certainly don't commit until the vaccine roll out plan is defined.

Say a vaccine is fully in place by June,/July and crowds can go back to matches I don't think they would like or could afford to have lost out on two years of intercounty gate receipts. The club game would not generate the same amount of revenue and by the time crowds get bigger for club matches should be able to accommodate the numbers. Why not then have intercounty starting end of aug/start of sept and and run league and championship off in 4 mths. More generally I think intercounty should come first but maybe next year do it the other way around. it might end up being the best way to proceed in the circumstances."
I don't think it's likely that we'll see full crowds at intercounty GAA games in 2021 even in the best-case scenario. Optimistic experts are hoping we'll see 20% of the population vaccinated by Christmas 2021, and this will be health-care workers, front-line staff, high-risk, and elderly. There's always a chance things change and it makes things more or less awkward, but I think the GAA are probably right to plan ahead and give its members a chance to build around the calendar.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 195 - 26/11/2020 19:11:21    2315722

Link

Good to see Bonner and Co back agaín for another year.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 561 - 26/11/2020 21:47:12    2315771

Link

I'm glad Declan has come out quickly and said he's staying, so here's hoping he's already got reassurances from the back room team there on board as well, enough said of the last day but I've been mulling something over this last few days, I feel Declan overthinks the opposing teams too much instead of being totally 100 percent behind his own team, hence the chopping n changing at times. After 92 tony Boyle's ole man said to me (and I know the games developed hugely) that we've a great spine to the (92) team, so going on that a team I'd love to see for next year would be goalie>Patton, FB>Neil, Hugh> CHB in fact ideally it be great to see him developed or worked on as a Rambo type or Bradley just gathering the ball bust out, flatten, whatever you want to call it and lay off when he's man/ball and everything else beat, jez that'd be good for the heart.
We've a choice of three strong bucks atm for the middle so plenty of cover there, MM or ML at CHF and paddy at FF. Leave that spine there no thinkering and fit the squad around them, let the work be done hard for 50 - 55 mins then take in your fresher legs in any of them positions if the needs arise. Let the squad know it early in the year that's the set up and that's the plan. Surly there be injury's in them positions from time to time but them young fellas that's being developed can surly slot in if needed. I know I'm a purists of the old styles so be interested on people's taughts. Here's to 21 and just get 2020 out of me head.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 35 - 26/11/2020 22:49:17    2315790

Link