Galway Forum

Senior And Intermediate All Stars 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To anotheralias:  "
Replying To Ayeartilmonday:  "I was ridiculed here with my predictions before Christmas and told they 'would be shocked if even 5 on it' and 'impressively wide of the mark'......well lads I predicted 11 out of the 15 :)

Well @candlewax @ steakknife @townee2018 @cavan.galway ..... what do you think of thaaaaaat? ;)"
11 of 15 very impressive. All 6 Forwards correct. 2 backs wrong David Wynne for Aidan Claffey and Gary O Donnell for Mark Mannion. These were very marginal calls and probably the exposure of inter county experience got the 2 over the line but I woudnt disagree with your choices.
0 out of 2 at midfield and probably the only area your judgement was flawed. Nothing wrong with your choices but to be fair Paul Conroy and Mike Daly were 2 of the top 5 players this years championship so they has to be selected."
true, I would be more worried that he managed to leave conroy and daly out of his team than the 11 hegot correct!!!

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 09/01/2021 17:03:14    2326797

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "
Replying To Ayeartilmonday:  "I was ridiculed here with my predictions before Christmas and told they 'would be shocked if even 5 on it' and 'impressively wide of the mark'......well lads I predicted 11 out of the 15 :)

Well @candlewax @ steakknife @townee2018 @cavan.galway ..... what do you think of thaaaaaat? ;)"
11 of 15 very impressive. All 6 Forwards correct. 2 backs wrong David Wynne for Aidan Claffey and Gary O Donnell for Mark Mannion. These were very marginal calls and probably the exposure of inter county experience got the 2 over the line but I woudnt disagree with your choices.
0 out of 2 at midfield and probably the only area your judgement was flawed. Nothing wrong with your choices but to be fair Paul Conroy and Mike Daly were 2 of the top 5 players this years championship so they has to be selected."
I thought Barrett was actually better than Daly in 2020.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 823 - 09/01/2021 17:30:32    2326802

Link

Moycullen will be even better this year..peter cooke is back..james mclaughlin and paul kelly will be a year older.(mclaughlin was a minor last year)..and the likes of deane and daniel should be really pushing for places..both won u20 ai with galway last year..

Pepper1 (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 11/02/2021 22:29:28    2331133

Link

Replying To Pepper1:  "Moycullen will be even better this year..peter cooke is back..james mclaughlin and paul kelly will be a year older.(mclaughlin was a minor last year)..and the likes of deane and daniel should be really pushing for places..both won u20 ai with galway last year.."
Agree. They have a great mix between young, proven and experienced. Is there any truth behind the rumour they have gained another import or two?

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 67 - 14/02/2021 21:53:23    2331388

Link

Moycullen look strong. If I was wagering a few quid though, I think you'll get a serious price on Corofin on the back of last year. They'll be back after a nice extended layoff and should be rearing to go. Would be great to see these two teams locking horns a few times.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 58 - 15/02/2021 20:30:09    2331488

Link

Replying To GalwaysFinest:  "Agree. They have a great mix between young, proven and experienced. Is there any truth behind the rumour they have gained another import or two?"
I didnt hear that..

Pepper1 (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 15/02/2021 21:21:22    2331497

Link

Replying To Pepper1:  "I didnt hear that.."
Calling mocullen salthill light is a bit much..as far i know clarke and gallagher are the two are the only two that didnt come up through ranks with moycllen..and they both live in moycullen..

Pepper1 (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 17/02/2021 16:23:33    2331711

Link

Replying To Pepper1:  "Calling mocullen salthill light is a bit much..as far i know clarke and gallagher are the two are the only two that didnt come up through ranks with moycllen..and they both live in moycullen.."
I think Walsh the full forward might also be a 'project player 'to borrow a phrase from our rugby brethern

UtahBlaine (Galway) - Posts: 72 - 17/02/2021 19:32:30    2331742

Link

Replying To Pepper1:  "Calling mocullen salthill light is a bit much..as far i know clarke and gallagher are the two are the only two that didnt come up through ranks with moycllen..and they both live in moycullen.."
Where did someone refer to moycullen being salthill? Dont know anything about Clarke but I know from talking to Gallagher how he got playing for moycullen, and it isnt residency. He could have picked any club within travelling distance of Galway city and luckily for Moycullen they organised it. Not being critical, fair play to them. You create your own luck. But I simply just asked the question is it true they have another signing or two for 2021. Possibly just a rumour but just checking to see.

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 67 - 17/02/2021 22:15:08    2331785

Link

Replying To UtahBlaine:  "I think Walsh the full forward might also be a 'project player 'to borrow a phrase from our rugby brethern"
Someone above callled moycullen 'salthill light'...which is not true..go back through the posts

Pepper1 (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 18/02/2021 03:40:04    2331806

Link

Replying To UtahBlaine:  "I think Walsh the full forward might also be a 'project player 'to borrow a phrase from our rugby brethern"
I am not sure...but with daniel a year older, not to mention the return of peter cooke, he might struggle to keep his place this year..

Pepper1 (Galway) - Posts: 20 - 18/02/2021 03:42:58    2331807

Link

Replying To GalwaysFinest:  "Where did someone refer to moycullen being salthill? Dont know anything about Clarke but I know from talking to Gallagher how he got playing for moycullen, and it isnt residency. He could have picked any club within travelling distance of Galway city and luckily for Moycullen they organised it. Not being critical, fair play to them. You create your own luck. But I simply just asked the question is it true they have another signing or two for 2021. Possibly just a rumour but just checking to see."
2 new lads registered alright and a big push to stop homegrown dual players here, be surprised If mark Lydon doesn't pull out, nothing left to prove.
They'd have a good senior team in the players their losing to hurling

Sportsfanatic90 (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 18/02/2021 17:53:49    2331917

Link

Replying To Sportsfanatic90:  "2 new lads registered alright and a big push to stop homegrown dual players here, be surprised If mark Lydon doesn't pull out, nothing left to prove.
They'd have a good senior team in the players their losing to hurling"
Are they transfers in from other counties? While importation is great in short term it does leave a sour taste in the mouth of local lads whom have been there from u6 trying to make it to the senior team. If the player in stays for a long period of time or now lives there that is a different matter.

Success at all costs can have a larger long term cost.

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 111 - 19/02/2021 12:13:49    2331992

Link

Cavan should be getting Intermediate 'allstars' tonight, not Senior ones.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2390 - 20/02/2021 12:24:37    2332117

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Cavan should be getting Intermediate 'allstars' tonight, not Senior ones."
That's harsh. The Cavan lads are there on merit. Fair play to them. Pity we hadn't a few lads to take the step up to that level.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 345 - 20/02/2021 23:16:20    2332221

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Cavan should be getting Intermediate 'allstars' tonight, not Senior ones."
Why so? They won the Ulster SENIOR football championship. Two more all stars than Galway football won. Well done to both Cavan recipients, well deserved. Clown.

GalwaysFinest (Galway) - Posts: 67 - 22/02/2021 11:27:43    2332415

Link

Replying To Sportsfanatic90:  "2 new lads registered alright and a big push to stop homegrown dual players here, be surprised If mark Lydon doesn't pull out, nothing left to prove.
So its fair play to Moycullen to arrange transfers for players not living in Moycullen but Salthill are to be frowned upon for accepting players who live in Salthill?

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 23/02/2021 10:40:02    2332512

Link

I hadn't realised that the reason Mark Lydon ( or any other player for that matter ) played football to "prove" something.
I naively thought that lads played football for enjoyment , comradery and the pursuit of success. You learn something every day.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 138 - 23/02/2021 11:50:33    2332523

Link