Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Ah fair play to you Onion Sack and hope you enjoy a trip down there again in the near future P. G."
Cheers Mick! I hope so too. It's one of me favourite spots in the county. When I'm waiting in the car for the ferry I always think of the great Mick O'Connell. I think the old train line from Killarney used to get him to Renard Point. Then he'd row accross to the island, all on the Sunday night after playing in croke park. I think he may have done it with Sam Maguire in the boat once.

Onion_Sack (Dublin) - Posts: 22 - 01/03/2021 19:02:34    2333201

Link

Replying To gallarus14:  "Ah ha you also have St Michaels Foilmore close by along with Renard and you have Dromid further down the road again. A nice cluster of clubs but I fear the island team is finished but I hope I'm wrong as you would hate to lose all that history."
Fair play Gallarus. I knew about Renard but forgot to mention. Wasn't aware of Fillmore and Dromid, although I have hear of Dromid, didn't know they were in that area. It's just nuts how they keep these clubs going. The irony is I'm from bang in the middle of whats arguably the heart of Dublin gaa. I'm surrounded by, in alphabetical order, Ballymun Kickhams, Erin Isle, Na Fianna, Vincent's, and Whitehall Colmkille.

Onion_Sack (Dublin) - Posts: 22 - 01/03/2021 19:11:48    2333208

Link

Replying To gallarus14:  "Ah ha you also have St Michaels Foilmore close by along with Renard and you have Dromid further down the road again. A nice cluster of clubs but I fear the island team is finished but I hope I'm wrong as you would hate to lose all that history."
And after posting Gallarus I just remember why I knew Dromod, didn't the great Declan O'Sullivan play for them? What a player!

Onion_Sack (Dublin) - Posts: 22 - 01/03/2021 19:19:13    2333209

Link

Replying To Onion_Sack:  "Cheers Mick! I hope so too. It's one of me favourite spots in the county. When I'm waiting in the car for the ferry I always think of the great Mick O'Connell. I think the old train line from Killarney used to get him to Renard Point. Then he'd row accross to the island, all on the Sunday night after playing in croke park. I think he may have done it with Sam Maguire in the boat once."
The great Mick ó Connell is right Onion Sack and yes he rowed all the time.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1442 - 01/03/2021 19:34:38    2333212

Link

Was reminded today that its exactly one year ago when I was last at a GAA match, the League game v Mayo in a bitterly cold Castlebar. God if anyone of us in the crowd that day had any inkling of what the following 12 months would be like, you'd have gathered the savings, rushed to the airport and bought a ticket for some warm, far flung isolated spot to weather it out.

Strange, strange times. I wonder when we will ever get back to being on the terraces.

Yes Gallrus, there's no doubt the club game is in huge trouble not only in the Iveragh peninsula but all across North Kerry too. And I'm sure you and Kingdomboy could tell us plenty of what tribulations the teams in West Kerry face.

But I'm obviously biased towards my own and its shocking what's happened to North Kerry the past 10-15 years. Only one county title since 1980 and that back in 2007 and now the two divisional sides arguably the worst team contesting the Bishop Moynihan Cup. For a region that was always such a reservoir of talent for Kerry teams to be reduced to a solitary panel member today is damning and depressing in equal measure.

Both the CB and Croke Park need to step up and do something about the huge areas of this country where the GAA is falling away. If they can find millions to throw at Dublin they can surely scramble a few hundred thousands for some rural club regeneration schemes etc.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5972 - 01/03/2021 19:45:34    2333214

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Was reminded today that its exactly one year ago when I was last at a GAA match, the League game v Mayo in a bitterly cold Castlebar. God if anyone of us in the crowd that day had any inkling of what the following 12 months would be like, you'd have gathered the savings, rushed to the airport and bought a ticket for some warm, far flung isolated spot to weather it out.

Strange, strange times. I wonder when we will ever get back to being on the terraces.

Yes Gallrus, there's no doubt the club game is in huge trouble not only in the Iveragh peninsula but all across North Kerry too. And I'm sure you and Kingdomboy could tell us plenty of what tribulations the teams in West Kerry face.

But I'm obviously biased towards my own and its shocking what's happened to North Kerry the past 10-15 years. Only one county title since 1980 and that back in 2007 and now the two divisional sides arguably the worst team contesting the Bishop Moynihan Cup. For a region that was always such a reservoir of talent for Kerry teams to be reduced to a solitary panel member today is damning and depressing in equal measure.

Both the CB and Croke Park need to step up and do something about the huge areas of this country where the GAA is falling away. If they can find millions to throw at Dublin they can surely scramble a few hundred thousands for some rural club regeneration schemes etc."
There is only 1 thing that could cheer me up now bud and that would be to hear Mark O'Connor was coming home for good so that Dingle could win 1 bishop Moynihan cup in my life time, just 1 would do me.

God I'm depressed with football.

Disgruntled

Disgusted

Distraught

Disembodied

:-( :-( :-(

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12393 - 02/03/2021 01:42:21    2333249

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "There is only 1 thing that could cheer me up now bud and that would be to hear Mark O'Connor was coming home for good so that Dingle could win 1 bishop Moynihan cup in my life time, just 1 would do me.

God I'm depressed with football.

Disgruntled

Disgusted

Distraught

Disembodied

:-( :-( :-("
Kb as much as I'd like to see o'Connor come back to play for Kerry I'd say there's no chance in a million years he will leave a well paid job to do it. Look ina year or two you boys will be back down to intermediate with ourselves and West Kerry will rise to be a force again and we'll have the bishop Moynihan cup out at Paidís .

gallarus14 (Kerry) - Posts: 125 - 07/03/2021 18:26:51    2333667

Link

Replying To gallarus14:  "Kb as much as I'd like to see o'Connor come back to play for Kerry I'd say there's no chance in a million years he will leave a well paid job to do it. Look ina year or two you boys will be back down to intermediate with ourselves and West Kerry will rise to be a force again and we'll have the bishop Moynihan cup out at Paidís ."
Sound man Gall, Jay's the thought of Dingle dropping out of the senior championship is not good but you could be right, all it takes is a few injuries to key players or a run of bad form and that could be that but the same could be said about any of the senior club teams except Crokes imo.

As for joining up with the district , it could be interesting and I'd give us a good shout to win the championship for sure but I won't think about that until it happens, hopefully it won't though.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12393 - 08/03/2021 12:23:54    2333696

Link