Kildare Forum

Where Do We Go From Here?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To daytona11:  "There is a certain amount of responsibility that the players have to carry to though. After the defeats to Carlow and the heavy hammering by Kerry and the beatings by the Dubs the lads still can't find the strength to see games out and not repeat performances like that.

In truth some of them just aren't good enough either though. That's the harsh reality of it. Whatever having the footballing skills, they need a bit of cuteness too. After the first goal went in it's inexplicable not to try and slow things down a little and take the wind out of Meath's momentum. After the second goal went in you are screaming at the Telly to not concede another. The players on the field need to own this and learn from it but we've seen in the past they can't do that.

Where do we go from here? Try to gain promotion to Division 1 next year and the cycle will begin again. The likes of Dan Flynn, the Cribbins, Feely, O'Grady etc aren't getting any younger either."
We might get another 2-3 years from the 2013 u21 crop, if they stick around. You wouldn't blame a few of them if they weren't bothered with the hassle anymore to be fair. They were a good bunch of footballers who came along to catch the worst years with a combination of McGeeney getting the boot, county board ineptitude, bad coaching and supreme Dublin dominance.

Unfortunately the beatings through the years appear to have destroyed any chance of Kildare solidifying that famous soft centre. There are 11 other counties in Leinster in exactly the same position though. People have lost interest in football completely. Time had it that we would be clearing our schedules for a Dublin - Meath Leinster final, but what is the point in watching any Dublin games any more? If Dublin games are too painful to watch would you imagine being the opposition?

Daith (Kildare) - Posts: 1141 - 19/11/2020 17:03:39    2311491

Link

Replying To Daith:  "We might get another 2-3 years from the 2013 u21 crop, if they stick around. You wouldn't blame a few of them if they weren't bothered with the hassle anymore to be fair. They were a good bunch of footballers who came along to catch the worst years with a combination of McGeeney getting the boot, county board ineptitude, bad coaching and supreme Dublin dominance.

Unfortunately the beatings through the years appear to have destroyed any chance of Kildare solidifying that famous soft centre. There are 11 other counties in Leinster in exactly the same position though. People have lost interest in football completely. Time had it that we would be clearing our schedules for a Dublin - Meath Leinster final, but what is the point in watching any Dublin games any more? If Dublin games are too painful to watch would you imagine being the opposition?"
All accurate stuff Daith. I can't see any Leinster team bridging the gap with the Dubs any time soon either. Other counties really don't understand it either. A hammering to the Dubs and no chance of winning your provincial championship. When you take the competition and competitiveness out of something it destroys the joy in it and it's exactly what the GAA to an extent has accommodated in Leinster Football.

Even this week you'd give Cavan every chance it the world of winning their province. But they wouldn't stand a chance against the Dubs.

It's time that counties made a stand and looked to restructure the shambles.

I don't get the whole absolving players of any responsibility either though. These guys are treated like superstars from a young age on underage panels and development squads etc and need to back it up. As disappointing some of the management decisions might be the players need to stand up and be counted and to many of them last Sunday tried to hide.

McGeeney went but it was the clubs who held the power there. Geezer had no respect for the club player and wanted it all his own way. Overall that kind of thing isn't good for the bigger picture or he long run. He also had two of he best players available to him in the country in Johnny and Dermot. Leper would have made most teams also on his day. None of our current crop are up to that level despite having the talent.

We really need an accurate and achievable framework to be put in place. If we have had so many good underage teams then why hasn't that translated into more consistent performances at senior level? Why aren't they making the step up?

I'd be inclined to believe that we need the current panel to start showing some leadership. That was sorely lacking last Sunday.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3891 - 20/11/2020 14:48:59    2311715

Link

Daith and Daytona have to agree with a lot of what you are posting. Leadership, or lack of it , has been the biggest problem we've had last few years.
I think guys like Keith Cribben and Johnny Byrne should have been playing last week, they at least get in a few hits! Anyway, when we were still nail biting last game of league we should have been worried about Meath game.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1623 - 20/11/2020 15:43:12    2311741

Link

I think at this stage we really need to assess the value of playing big money on a senior setup with the virtually no chance of winning a Leinster Championship in it's current form. Juvenile is where it should be and I'm not talking necessarily about our underage panels and development squads. We need to start younger than that.

Newbridge is a kip but who cares tbh. Let's use Croker as our home venue from now on and direct the 6 million or so for Conleths at GDO's, full time coaches and a primary schools initiative. Let's see where that gets us in 10 or 15 years.

Sell the Hawkfield COE and use Maynooth University or Abbottstown as our training base. Again more money would be raised to put directly into coaching for example.

The above is all tongue in cheek but you get my point.

It seems our Neighbours don't have to spend serious sums on money on infrastructure as the GAA etc provide it for them.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 3891 - 23/11/2020 11:02:18    2313764

Link

Replying To daytona11:  "I think at this stage we really need to assess the value of playing big money on a senior setup with the virtually no chance of winning a Leinster Championship in it's current form. Juvenile is where it should be and I'm not talking necessarily about our underage panels and development squads. We need to start younger than that.

Newbridge is a kip but who cares tbh. Let's use Croker as our home venue from now on and direct the 6 million or so for Conleths at GDO's, full time coaches and a primary schools initiative. Let's see where that gets us in 10 or 15 years.

Sell the Hawkfield COE and use Maynooth University or Abbottstown as our training base. Again more money would be raised to put directly into coaching for example.

The above is all tongue in cheek but you get my point.

It seems our Neighbours don't have to spend serious sums on money on infrastructure as the GAA etc provide it for them."
Not a bad idea all the same.

Pharmstrong (Kildare) - Posts: 29 - 24/11/2020 22:11:22    2315022

Link

Replying To St.Conleth:  "Daith and Daytona have to agree with a lot of what you are posting. Leadership, or lack of it , has been the biggest problem we've had last few years.
I think guys like Keith Cribben and Johnny Byrne should have been playing last week, they at least get in a few hits! Anyway, when we were still nail biting last game of league we should have been worried about Meath game."
Johnny Bryne and Keith Cribbin were Just Back from injured

Cloon12 (Kildare) - Posts: 37 - 24/11/2020 23:16:04    2315058

Link

Dan Flynn laughing and joking at end of was disgraceful. ,some of players were impressed by that

Cloon12 (Kildare) - Posts: 37 - 24/11/2020 23:18:02    2315060

Link

Replying To Cloon12:  "Dan Flynn laughing and joking at end of was disgraceful. ,some of players were impressed by that"
Sorry some Kildare player not impressed by Dan Flynn laughing and joking with Meath player at full time whistle

Cloon12 (Kildare) - Posts: 37 - 25/11/2020 11:03:14    2315112

Link

Replying To Cloon12:  "Sorry some Kildare player not impressed by Dan Flynn laughing and joking with Meath player at full time whistle"
I just clicked in here to see if there was a mention of John Doran's retirement from Kildare hurling and sadly there wasn't, It was a good time for him to bow out after winning the CR cup. Good luck to him and enjoy.
Rarely do I post here except for hurling info, I couldn't help but respond to your post I noticed, like,
Dan Flynn laughing and joking at end of was disgraceful.
What was he supposed to do roll around the pitch crying his eyes out, there's 30 other counties in the same sad state as Kildare. Get a grip.

Cuhullain (Kildare) - Posts: 227 - 30/11/2020 22:12:22    2317174

Link

Just seen Johnny Byrne has decided to hang up his football boots so good luck and good health to him, he may also be about to switch codes to intercounty hurling so that's really great news.

Cuhullain (Kildare) - Posts: 227 - 10/12/2020 20:58:23    2321183

Link