Donegal Forum

Ulster Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Getting close to the Fermanagh game now. I have no idea of the starting team as there a quite a few unknowns. Will Patrick McBrearty be fit enough for a full game? Will Frank and Neil McGee start or be kept in reserve? For the Fermanagh game, Bonner may decide to pick the long range shooters such as Langan and Ciaran Thompson. Anyway here is the team I would go with.

Patton

McGrath
McGee
McMenamin

Ban
Leo
O'Baoil

Hugh McFadden
Jason McGee

Langan
Niall o'Donnell
Ryan McHugh

McBrearty
Murphy
Brennan

This is assuming that Oisin Gallen isn't available and keeping Frank McGlynn in reserve.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 15/05/2019 13:39:15    2184295

Link

Would love to see this team, very adventurous.

#firepower

Patton

Ban
Mc Menamin
Mc Fadden Ferry

Ryan
O Baoil
Carroll (could do a job here)

Mc Gee
Langan

O Donnell
Murphy
Thompson
Eoin Mc Hugh

Mc Brearty
Brennan

A real shame Odhran isnt Bout.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 15/05/2019 14:40:43    2184315

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Getting close to the Fermanagh game now. I have no idea of the starting team as there a quite a few unknowns. Will Patrick McBrearty be fit enough for a full game? Will Frank and Neil McGee start or be kept in reserve? For the Fermanagh game, Bonner may decide to pick the long range shooters such as Langan and Ciaran Thompson. Anyway here is the team I would go with.

Patton

McGrath
McGee
McMenamin

Ban
Leo
O'Baoil

Hugh McFadden
Jason McGee

Langan
Niall o'Donnell
Ryan McHugh

McBrearty
Murphy
Brennan

This is assuming that Oisin Gallen isn't available and keeping Frank McGlynn in reserve."
Think injury free your team will not be far away. Don't know about Leo at 6 don't get me wrong he will be a very important player for us hopefully this summer. But I would go with o baoill at 6. He has great pace and is very mobile. Think Leo would be better as a 3rd midfielder, he's good at breaking the tackle and is very hard to dissposses.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 878 - 15/05/2019 15:40:32    2184339

Link

Doubt Gallen will be available and even if he was I be surprised he would be in the squad anyways. He is under 20 again next year and think he will be kept to that grade until campaign over then cross over. As for Fermanagh game interesting team selections. I think the team will be very similar to starting team in league. The likes of Leo who is good in possession will start as will the long range shooters. However we are not privy to what is happening in training and that as we know will have a big influence.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 15/05/2019 16:10:25    2184345

Link

I think we can expect Bonner to err on the side of caution. Fermanagh in Brewster is a tricky assignment make no mistake about it. I think Bonner will go with experience and know-how.

This is the team I think he'll go with.

1. Patton

2. McMenamin
3. N McGee
4. McGrath

5. Gallagher
6. McGlynn
7. R McHugh

8. McFadden
9. McLoone

10. J McGee
11. O'Donnell
12. Thompson/Langan

13. McBrearty
14. Murphy
15. Brennan

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7103 - 15/05/2019 16:26:13    2184350

Link

1. Patton

2. Paddy McGrath
3. Neil McGee
4. Eoghan Ban

5. Ryan McHugh
6. Stephen McMenamin
7. Daire O Baoill

8. Jason McGee
9. Michael Langan
10. Leo McLoone

11. Niall O'Donnell
12. Michael Murphy
13. Ciaran Thomson

14. Paddy McBrearty
15. Jamie Brennan

16. P Durcan
17. Frank McGlynn
18. Odhran McFadden Ferry
19. Caolán Ward
20. Caolán McGonigle
21. Eoin McHugh
22. Hugh McFadden
23. Michael Carroll
24. Eamon Doherty
25. Paul Brennan
26. Brendan McCole

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 15/05/2019 23:46:42    2184450

Link

Nearly all the teams listed have O'Donnell starting. I'm not so sure about that. I'd have Thompson and Langan on the pitch ahead of him.

Some teams have McFadden dropped. Hard to see that happening, although I would like to see McGee and Langan get a run together at MF properly

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 16/05/2019 12:20:16    2184555

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "Nearly all the teams listed have O'Donnell starting. I'm not so sure about that. I'd have Thompson and Langan on the pitch ahead of him.

Some teams have McFadden dropped. Hard to see that happening, although I would like to see McGee and Langan get a run together at MF properly"
In my case, it wz a toss of a coin between Niall and Caolán McGonnigle. Niall offers something a little out of the ordinary. And Hugh Mc and Leo wz very marginal as well, what Leo concedes in size he tops with guile and cuteness.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 16/05/2019 19:06:28    2184696

Link

Think we still lack impact from the bench in the attacking sense.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 16/05/2019 19:22:20    2184702

Link

Patton

McGrath
McGee
McMenamin

Mc Glynn

Ban
Leo
O'Baoil

Langan
Jason McGee

Thompson
Murphy
Ryan McHugh

McBrearty
Brennan

I think that if Mc Glynn is fit he'll start him. Fermanagh will look to frustrate, turn ball over and counter. We need an extra cover at the back instead they deliver long. We also have looked shaky with teams running through the centre and Mc Glynn has great positional sense. If Mc Glynn isn't fit I'd actually have Mc Fadden play that deeper covering role.
If we do go with a 2 man full forward line then it has to be Murphy that pulls out to the 45. I love to see him at FF but neither Brennan or Mc Brearty are as big a threat further out so IF we play a two man FF line then Murphy can be effective out the field.
Niall O' Donnell just misses out to Thompson. His long range kicking will be needed against the blanket defence.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 16/05/2019 21:05:31    2184730

Link

I very much doubt u will see the same team picked game to game even withstanding injuries. Prime example is Eamon Doherty whom I don't think will start against Fermanagh could start against Tyrone and some of the other top sides down the line. The likes of Hugh and Leo will start against Fermanagh as will Thompson and Langan. Everyone has Paddy as a starter I would not be surprised if he is on bench given the injury and limited game time.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 17/05/2019 13:09:33    2184906

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I very much doubt u will see the same team picked game to game even withstanding injuries. Prime example is Eamon Doherty whom I don't think will start against Fermanagh could start against Tyrone and some of the other top sides down the line. The likes of Hugh and Leo will start against Fermanagh as will Thompson and Langan. Everyone has Paddy as a starter I would not be surprised if he is on bench given the injury and limited game time."
I think we should be looking to play the same team against Fermanagh as would play against Tyrone. Give them a chance to have a game under their belts before Tyrone game. Especially as Tyrone will have 2 games played. There were a lot of changes over the course of the league, which is fair enough, but need to be moving towards a settled team.

Hopefully Paddy is fit to start. Would be tough for his first game back to be Tyrone. He'd need a saddle on him that day

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 17/05/2019 14:39:47    2184961

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "I think we should be looking to play the same team against Fermanagh as would play against Tyrone. Give them a chance to have a game under their belts before Tyrone game. Especially as Tyrone will have 2 games played. There were a lot of changes over the course of the league, which is fair enough, but need to be moving towards a settled team.

Hopefully Paddy is fit to start. Would be tough for his first game back to be Tyrone. He'd need a saddle on him that day"
Different games give different circumstances. The core of the group will remain the same. The Tyrone game is going to involve some diligent man marking jobs not required for Fermanagh. The Fermanagh game will involve lots of possession so will need to be secure when having the ball and an ability to kick scores from range. As for Paddy he is not long back from a serious injury. It will take time to adjust back and I imagine there will be a safety first approach. Do not be surprised if he has a similar role to Odhran last year in the early stages of the championship before eventually being a certain starter.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 17/05/2019 18:14:56    2185021

Link

With tonights result in Cavan, coupled with Fermanagh's victory in Letterkenny in the league, it proves thst there'll be no room for complacency next weekend. Hopefully it will sharpen the minds to the job at hand.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 18/05/2019 22:06:58    2185330

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "With tonights result in Cavan, coupled with Fermanagh's victory in Letterkenny in the league, it proves thst there'll be no room for complacency next weekend. Hopefully it will sharpen the minds to the job at hand."
I can't see complacency being an issue. Going to back to game in Letterkenny I felt Donegal were well in control before needless sending off. Plus the fitness advantage Fermanagh had that day will not be the case next weekend. Include the return of players not available that day I only see one winner. Discipline and patience will be required. I am sure Fermanagh will try get any advantage by any means so calm heads needed. I have great admiration for Monaghan but their lack of attacking talent beyond McManus was really found out tonight against a very well drilled Cavan team. All remaining teams that side of the draw now have an excellent opportunity of making an Ulster final.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 19/05/2019 03:42:12    2185393

Link

We're going to need patience on Sunday against this Fermanagh team. In the early exchanges I'd expect them to try to get on the front foot and establish a lead which then allows them to retreat back into their shell and play counter attacking football.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 21/05/2019 00:29:15    2186135

Link

Aye I agree there. We saw Cavan do the same to Monaghan last Saturday. Monaghan are a very hard team to rein in if they get ahead of you. But Cavan blitzed them in the early exchanges and built a nice wee lead for themselves. I think Fermanagh might try similar so it will be important that our lads are at it from the throw-in on Sunday.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7103 - 21/05/2019 10:05:54    2186187

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Aye I agree there. We saw Cavan do the same to Monaghan last Saturday. Monaghan are a very hard team to rein in if they get ahead of you. But Cavan blitzed them in the early exchanges and built a nice wee lead for themselves. I think Fermanagh might try similar so it will be important that our lads are at it from the throw-in on Sunday."
I don't think Donegal will be as wasteful as Monaghan were in the first half which ultimately cost them. The attack is not Monaghan's strength and they are far too reliant on one player. While defensively Donegal are probably not as strong as Monaghan their is no comparison between the attacking talent available. Donegal have scorers all over the pitch which means when some have an off day there are others to pick off the scores. As already said it is a day for patience, calmness and discipline. Fancy Donegal by a few.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 21/05/2019 17:33:17    2186371

Link