Westmeath Forum

Senior & intermediate championship 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jamsie:  "For sure. I didn't see the 4 goals coming. They certainly know how to open teams up. Wasn't at the game but I heard that a couple of the goals came off bad kickouts from Shamrocks.
Killucan will probably play Lomans now in the semi and they will give them their fill of it. I think Greville chose to leave the county panel himself. There is no doubt he would be a starting player."
Correct Greville did choose to leave. He came off the bench against Offaly in league in place of Heslin who got black carded and scored 1-2. The next game against Longford I think it was he was relegated to the bench again. So hard to blame him for walking away.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 12/09/2016 22:33:45    1913310

Link

Replying To Iarmhi04:  "Only been senior since 1997 which isn't a bad rich recent history for a club that was formed in 1981."
Taking players from every club around them helps too...

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 232 - 13/09/2016 10:58:12    1913473

Link

Replying To loughree:  "Iarmhi 919 very interesting prediction of a senior grouping for next year. Rosemount ??? Those in Shandonagh, Tang ad Tubberclair will love that kind of thinking."
Loughree that's why i said a possible group imo and most of the county would agree Rosemount are favourites and its there's to lose that's not to say they could lose all i said was possibility. Garrycastle v Castledaly in tclaire next Saturday with Dessie back and garrycastle being castledalys bogey team down trew the years youd have to fancy garrycastle still wont rule out Castledaly if they perform to there ability on the day there capable of winning, think the winner of this will beat the downs and progress to last 6

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 13/09/2016 12:02:23    1913521

Link

Replying To iarmhi_an_mhaith:  "Taking players from every club around them helps too..."
bit confused by this comment ????????..Everyone knows Garrycastles success can be attributed to the successive generations of underage teams they produced in the years leading up to the 2000s.

leinster 04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 13/09/2016 21:55:27    1913958

Link

Replying To leinster 04:  "bit confused by this comment ????????..Everyone knows Garrycastles success can be attributed to the successive generations of underage teams they produced in the years leading up to the 2000s."
Like most winning clubs in the county (in both codes), poaching the better young players from neighbouring clubs helps a lot too.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1749 - 13/09/2016 22:24:18    1913987

Link

Replying To leinster 04:  "bit confused by this comment ????????..Everyone knows Garrycastles success can be attributed to the successive generations of underage teams they produced in the years leading up to the 2000s."
Some examples would be great but I can tell you there is none!! Not sure what the story is with other clubs but Garrycastles players have all come through the underage system........ just shows you cant believe anything you read on these forums when comments like that are made.

leinster 04 (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 13/09/2016 23:01:46    1914010

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Like most winning clubs in the county (in both codes), poaching the better young players from neighbouring clubs helps a lot too."
totally unfounded, unjust comment in my opinion. Looking forward to you backing up your comment with examples.

Registered (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 14/09/2016 12:08:50    1914139

Link

When you say both codes I think we all know what club you mean in the hurling.. "clonturin"..

wd45 (Westmeath) - Posts: 207 - 14/09/2016 12:32:48    1914150

Link

In regard to the poaching question, it depends on your interpretation of the word. Since there is no "parish rule" in place in the GAA what can be considered poaching? If a club is too lazy to go out and get players in their catchment area to play for them and another comes in and recruits them, is that wrong? I dont think so.

You then also have the situation where a player who has talent comes up through underage with a smaller club and then get "poached" by another stronger club. Tough on the smaller club but the player obviously had a say in this too and has ambitions to win at the highest level. Something he may not have been able to do with the smaller club.

Then you have the other side where you have clubs who go out looking for ANYONE. Anyone at all who can put on a jersey, doesnt matter where you came from or whether you kicked a ball before. It just means that your club will survive another year.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 483 - 14/09/2016 15:57:36    1914234

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "In regard to the poaching question, it depends on your interpretation of the word. Since there is no "parish rule" in place in the GAA what can be considered poaching? If a club is too lazy to go out and get players in their catchment area to play for them and another comes in and recruits them, is that wrong? I dont think so.

You then also have the situation where a player who has talent comes up through underage with a smaller club and then get "poached" by another stronger club. Tough on the smaller club but the player obviously had a say in this too and has ambitions to win at the highest level. Something he may not have been able to do with the smaller club.

Then you have the other side where you have clubs who go out looking for ANYONE. Anyone at all who can put on a jersey, doesnt matter where you came from or whether you kicked a ball before. It just means that your club will survive another year."
Can anyone answer how did the 3 way playoff between The Downs , Castledaly and Garrycastle get drawn .. Was it first out gets a by to play winner of game between 2nd and 3rd out of hat .....

smithers123 (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 14/09/2016 17:44:41    1914285

Link

Replying To smithers123:  "Can anyone answer how did the 3 way playoff between The Downs , Castledaly and Garrycastle get drawn .. Was it first out gets a by to play winner of game between 2nd and 3rd out of hat ....."
Why do you ask Smithers? What difference does it make so long as it was decided beforehand what method would be used?

Westy (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 14/09/2016 17:53:23    1914294

Link

Replying To smithers123:  "Can anyone answer how did the 3 way playoff between The Downs , Castledaly and Garrycastle get drawn .. Was it first out gets a by to play winner of game between 2nd and 3rd out of hat ....."
The Downs had the best scoring difference so that's why they got the bye. In the pre-2014 rules they would have been the ones to go through.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 264 - 14/09/2016 18:05:11    1914303

Link

Valley, back up your allegations with facts, names, the likes of you give this decent forum a bad name, Garrycastle did marvellous work at underage level, produced stylish, winning teams backboned by lads from the area.

kawaifive0 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 14/09/2016 18:30:21    1914311

Link

Thought this thread was about the current IFC & SFC-not poaching?

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 408 - 14/09/2016 23:04:36    1914444

Link

Replying To Westy:  "Why do you ask Smithers? What difference does it make so long as it was decided beforehand what method would be used?"
Junior championship section b had three teams finish on same points for second place . Team with best scoring difference didnt get a by !!!! Draw seems to have been done differently to the way the senior championship play off was done !!!!!!!!!

smithers123 (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 14/09/2016 23:04:47    1914445

Link

Replying To smithers123:  "Junior championship section b had three teams finish on same points for second place . Team with best scoring difference didnt get a by !!!! Draw seems to have been done differently to the way the senior championship play off was done !!!!!!!!!"
And there was a good reason for that. They couldn't use scoring difference in the junior section B as there had been so many walkovers. Kinnegad gave everyone a walkover, so that didn't matter. But some teams played half or more of their games but pulled out of 2/3.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 264 - 15/09/2016 09:48:26    1914517

Link

I think they're drawn out of a hat-probably to stick to the rule that scoring diff doesn't count.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 408 - 15/09/2016 10:34:22    1914527

Link

tyrrellspass are in good form but they have tohave a bit more back bone . tending to drift in and out of games
huge array of talent and are strong contenders . killucan are doing extremely well and will be a handful for st lomans who i expect them to meet in semi final . i think athlone have every chance of beating shamrocks and meeting tyrrelspass . and my final pairing i think will be tyrrellspass v killucan

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1231 - 15/09/2016 12:33:03    1914583

Link

You're cracked Mick. Town final or maybe lomans tpass. Lomans will walk it either way

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 213 - 15/09/2016 15:16:16    1914665

Link

Regardless of final pairings i really cant see anything other then the Flanagan cup staying where it is this year in St Lomans. Shane Dempsey back to is a huge help, kilucan have done fantastic and could trow a surprise but sadly im starting to be realistic, a Mick come on man this the same Tyrrlespass that got bet off the field by Castledaly in last years semi final?the Castledaly that should have been relegated the last 6 years in a row according to most pundits on this forum including yourself? Keep dreaming going with a town final myself even though id love to see kilucan in one tpass might beat shamrocks but that's it they will win nothing nobody will beat lomans in this years county final and that's no disrespect but its the likely outcome. Im really looking forward to these playoff games will provide the most entertaining games of this years championship

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 15/09/2016 16:36:45    1914717

Link