Sligo Forum

Sligo 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To The_analyser:  "I don't think anyone told Sligo that they were already into the semi final regardless of the U17 result v us last Friday? Playing a full strength team and putting in a huge effort to over turn our healthy half lead backfired for Sligo management especially when that semi final was five days later. Letting a well rested Mayo back into the championship was the last thing Sligo should have done, the chance of beating Mayo twice in one year was slim and more so when the game was played in MacHale Park."
That is correct and when I say that our team managers and the Co. Board lack football nous, this is what I'm talking about. Anybody can put out cones , hold fancy drills and carry a laptop and talk a good game , it's the smartness and cunning to outfox the opposition, that is the downfall of all Sligo teams.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 27/06/2019 15:06:24    2201740

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "From what I hear, there are no shortage of coaches. That's not to say they are coaches of good enough ilk but I know some are doing very good work.
Bandying about names like Kevin Johnson is all well and good but nothing to say he would come or that he hasn't been as asked. I think we should get Jim Gavin down to run our U-13 development but I doubt it will happen.
I'm not going to hammer our coaches based on one game. That minor team won a Manning Cup last year and were excellent up until last night. They have won games and bar last night have looked fit to match anyone.
Also, I think it has nothing to do with whether Paul Taylor is the right man for the job or not. He has his job to do, the coaches have theirs. However, theirs is for a lot less reward and should therefore probably face less scrutiny. All for getting the right guys in coaching but the lads who are there deserve credit for the time they put in.

I can see what your point is. The players aren't there to compete with the top 12 or 14 sides. And you're right, they aren't. And that is not Taylor's fault.
But would we be closer with a guy who could get players back(e.g., J. Kelly, Brehony, Gaughan, K. Cawley, McDonnell)? Who has serious experience in coaching teams? Maybe another guy would get none of those guys back. Maybe Taylor can. Maybe another manager would be no better tactically with all his experience. But I wouldn't crucify a man for asking the question as to whether or not there are better candidates in the county or outside to 1) Get us out of Div 4 immediately and 2) Get players back and a system in place whereby we don't expect driving to Tullamore that we will be most likely out at the second stage of the qualifiers. That was the worst part of all of this. The acceptance that we are ot good enough. Maybe Taylor can turn it around. Maybe. In transition or not, we should ask the question."
I have to agree. From what I gather we have good young coaches in the county but what are the county board doing to help them get to the next level?

These coaches need outside help in my opinion. I'd love if we got a Director of Football to oversee this.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 236 - 27/06/2019 16:04:56    2201768

Link

Replying To Maggiepie:  "That is correct and when I say that our team managers and the Co. Board lack football nous, this is what I'm talking about. Anybody can put out cones , hold fancy drills and carry a laptop and talk a good game , it's the smartness and cunning to outfox the opposition, that is the downfall of all Sligo teams."
So you mean to tell me that we should have let Roscommon beat us enabling them to go straight to the Connacht Final and we then play Galway in a semi final. What a load of nonsense.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 27/06/2019 16:12:31    2201771

Link

Replying To westsligoawakes:  "From what I hear, there are no shortage of coaches. That's not to say they are coaches of good enough ilk but I know some are doing very good work.
Bandying about names like Kevin Johnson is all well and good but nothing to say he would come or that he hasn't been as asked. I think we should get Jim Gavin down to run our U-13 development but I doubt it will happen.
I'm not going to hammer our coaches based on one game. That minor team won a Manning Cup last year and were excellent up until last night. They have won games and bar last night have looked fit to match anyone.
Also, I think it has nothing to do with whether Paul Taylor is the right man for the job or not. He has his job to do, the coaches have theirs. However, theirs is for a lot less reward and should therefore probably face less scrutiny. All for getting the right guys in coaching but the lads who are there deserve credit for the time they put in.

I can see what your point is. The players aren't there to compete with the top 12 or 14 sides. And you're right, they aren't. And that is not Taylor's fault.
But would we be closer with a guy who could get players back(e.g., J. Kelly, Brehony, Gaughan, K. Cawley, McDonnell)? Who has serious experience in coaching teams? Maybe another guy would get none of those guys back. Maybe Taylor can. Maybe another manager would be no better tactically with all his experience. But I wouldn't crucify a man for asking the question as to whether or not there are better candidates in the county or outside to 1) Get us out of Div 4 immediately and 2) Get players back and a system in place whereby we don't expect driving to Tullamore that we will be most likely out at the second stage of the qualifiers. That was the worst part of all of this. The acceptance that we are ot good enough. Maybe Taylor can turn it around. Maybe. In transition or not, we should ask the question."
There is a reason for those players not playing. Gaughan opted out as he was going to America. He was refused entry. Hardly Taylor's fault.. Kelly opted out the previous year so it wasn't Taylor that was the problem. Mc Donnell gave a full page interview and said he was taking a year out from the County set up to see if his injury would improve. Cawley went to America, I think so did Breheny. Is Breheny a loss ??? I threw out names like Johnson and Harrison cos they are Sligo lads who played in this county and I believe that's the way forward. As I said earlier we have passionate coaches and lovely fellas but no experience of winning. We are still too Parochial Johnny is a good player so we will ask Johnny's Dad to become manager. This cost is a minor title a few years ago and we still do the same thing again. We have had 2 daddies as managers since that

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 27/06/2019 16:26:12    2201778

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "There is a reason for those players not playing. Gaughan opted out as he was going to America. He was refused entry. Hardly Taylor's fault.. Kelly opted out the previous year so it wasn't Taylor that was the problem. Mc Donnell gave a full page interview and said he was taking a year out from the County set up to see if his injury would improve. Cawley went to America, I think so did Breheny. Is Breheny a loss ??? I threw out names like Johnson and Harrison cos they are Sligo lads who played in this county and I believe that's the way forward. As I said earlier we have passionate coaches and lovely fellas but no experience of winning. We are still too Parochial Johnny is a good player so we will ask Johnny's Dad to become manager. This cost is a minor title a few years ago and we still do the same thing again. We have had 2 daddies as managers since that"
Do you not think they could have been held like O'Connor and Carrabine with another manager? Maybe not. Brehony is a loss compared to what we have now. Not his biggest fan but he'd walk in currently.
And we are still too parochial, so why employ a local councilor who hasn't managed his own club team nor any club team?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 27/06/2019 16:43:44    2201788

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "So you mean to tell me that we should have let Roscommon beat us enabling them to go straight to the Connacht Final and we then play Galway in a semi final. What a load of nonsense."
A draw last Friday would have given Sligo a semi final v Roscommon. Defeat would have meant a home match v Galway and more of a incentive to beat Galway at second time of asking all easier semi finals on paper than allowing Mayo back into the championship and where they had the game in MacHale Park.

They might not say it in public but i bet Sligo management will know now in hindsight they should have rested players for their final group game.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2411 - 27/06/2019 18:33:50    2201819

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "So you mean to tell me that we should have let Roscommon beat us enabling them to go straight to the Connacht Final and we then play Galway in a semi final. What a load of nonsense."
If you think any team from Sligo will beat Mayo or Galway in a vital competition twice ,you are deluded. So that means not playing your full hand in a dead rubber , which is what it was, as far as Sligo were concerned.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 27/06/2019 19:07:14    2201835

Link

Replying To Maggiepie:  "If you think any team from Sligo will beat Mayo or Galway in a vital competition twice ,you are deluded. So that means not playing your full hand in a dead rubber , which is what it was, as far as Sligo were concerned."
Yes Sligo Management got that one wrong unfortunately and Mayo were the beneficiaries.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1320 - 27/06/2019 20:57:08    2201880

Link

I love it. These Rossies coming on here saying it would be in our best interest to lose to them and it would help us. And there are clowns on here who agree. These Rossies are not pointing out that if we 'let" them win they would be in a Connacht Final and they couldn't give tuppence for us. But we beat them and they went out. The way we played on Wed Eve we would not have Beaten Galwayin Markievicz Park. If we Had allowed Roscommon to win, and lost to Galway the site would be full of people saying we should never have lost to Roscommon, we lost our momentum, etc etc. Now I am finished on this topic

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 27/06/2019 23:46:50    2201960

Link

I love it. These Rossies coming on here saying it would be in our best interest to lose to them and it would help us. And there are clowns on here who agree. These Rossies are not pointing out that if we 'let" them win they would be in a Connacht Final and they couldn't give tuppence for us. But we beat them and they went out. The way we played on Wed Eve we would not have Beaten Galwayin Markievicz Park. If we Had allowed Roscommon to win, and lost to Galway the site would be full of people saying we should never have lost to Roscommon, we lost our momentum, etc etc. Now I am finished on this topic

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 28/06/2019 08:01:00    2201989

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I love it. These Rossies coming on here saying it would be in our best interest to lose to them and it would help us. And there are clowns on here who agree. These Rossies are not pointing out that if we 'let" them win they would be in a Connacht Final and they couldn't give tuppence for us. But we beat them and they went out. The way we played on Wed Eve we would not have Beaten Galwayin Markievicz Park. If we Had allowed Roscommon to win, and lost to Galway the site would be full of people saying we should never have lost to Roscommon, we lost our momentum, etc etc. Now I am finished on this topic"
Good that you have finished with this topic as i don't think you understand it.

The way you played Wednesday evening was probably because you had a team that emptied the tank against us 5 days previously and you were up against a well rested Mayo team with home advantage also. In both games v us Friday and Mayo Wednesday you only used 19 players. If the boot was on the other foot Mayo would have rested half of their panel against us if they were already into the semi final.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2411 - 29/06/2019 16:36:00    2202402

Link

Taylor will be ratified for another term at tonight's Co Board meeting.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 06/08/2019 17:41:42    2221750

Link

Short list of names below we should break the bank for:

John Maughan
John Surgrue
Malachy O'Rourke
Liam Kearns
Rory Gallagher

We wont but we should

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 272 - 06/08/2019 18:34:15    2221790

Link

Replying To republican:  "Short list of names below we should break the bank for:

John Maughan
John Surgrue
Malachy O'Rourke
Liam Kearns
Rory Gallagher

We wont but we should"
Rory Gallagher..... I presume you are joking.
There would be more scores in the Showgrounds.
Don't think Maughan is going anywhere.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 06/08/2019 19:57:49    2221844

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Rory Gallagher..... I presume you are joking.
Don't think Maughan is going anywhere."
You did see some of our defending this year?

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 49 - 06/08/2019 21:01:36    2221889

Link

Lads we don't have the cash for any outside manager of any quality. They'll give it to Taylor again, he's nice and cheap. They couldn't care less about the on field disaster, his demands are nice and low resources/financially wise.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 06/08/2019 23:55:36    2221987

Link

Any word on hurling management . Surely the CB will ratified the same management team as last year that is if there still going for it .

noboots (Sligo) - Posts: 89 - 07/08/2019 10:08:58    2222065

Link

Replying To noboots:  "Any word on hurling management . Surely the CB will ratified the same management team as last year that is if there still going for it ."
The CB would be mad not to ratify the same management team for 2020. It would be great if the backroom team stayed together too. They seem to have the winning formula but will be well tested in the Christy Ring Cup next year.

Ned_Kelly (Sligo) - Posts: 13 - 07/08/2019 13:06:31    2222152

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Rory Gallagher..... I presume you are joking.
Don't think Maughan is going anywhere."
Ya because finishing rock bottom of div 3 -48pts and conceding 3-17 to the mighty Offaly is better than being defensively conscious. You're spot on Eoin, lets keep the Taylor train rolling.

He should be ran out the door after that pathetic year. No aspirations whatsover

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 272 - 07/08/2019 14:08:02    2222181

Link

Taylor ratified unanimously by the idiots on the county committee. We are not a successful county because clowns get into these positions of power who have no clue what winning is nor do they even seek it. Just be a yes men and stay in power. This is why good GAA men leave or don't get involved. Players walked too.

If Taylor had any self respect or cared about Sligo GAA he would have resigned. What other man wouldn't with his record and level of performance? Being Sligo manager does help his political persona and gives him more exposure.

He needs media training too, if I hear him saying players losing by 15 pts are gaining great experience again or that the players morale is great and then in the same sentence well having these tough defeats has lowered morale, or that he would like to be up there with the big teams ETC...

Well we are 11pts off Offaly who are poor. That's how low you've taken us and whilst its not all Taylor's fault re-appointing him ensures Division 4 for the foreseeable future and it makes us very vunerable to losses to Leitrim, London and New York. We wont progress under Taylor but looks like new members of CB are as useless as the last. He has little to no experience of developing younger players.

With a better manager, here's my take if I was County Chairman, get local Businessmen to invest in Sligo GAA like other counties do, get them to fund the set up and a big name manager all of our big name players would commit. There is money in Sligo to be invested if you look hard enough. It would be hard for any self respecting Manager to work with our County board I know but money talks.

Other counties see this decision as a laughing stock. To allow Taylor with little previous experience to learn on the job is disrespectful to the players and fans. Mark my words some of the players from this year will be thinking this but love playing too much to walk away. Its a mess and results and performances will follow suit.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 07/08/2019 20:06:24    2222382

Link