Monaghan Forum

Group Draws

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I don't think it's just the Junior Championship the refereeing is poor, just take a look at the names doing the senior matches this past two weekends. The reality is there's only 3 or 4 referees in Monaghan who are capable of handling a championship football match but it's all over the GAA. There is absolutely no incentive for anyone to be a referee. There are loads of past players who would make excellent referees but why would they?

On the streaming of matches fair play to the clubs especially in south Monaghan where the quality has been excellent, free of charge. Any club charging for it should take a serious look at themselves.

CurlyFingers (Monaghan) - Posts: 51 - 03/08/2020 21:28:15    2286253

Link

Replying To CurlyFingers:  "I don't think it's just the Junior Championship the refereeing is poor, just take a look at the names doing the senior matches this past two weekends. The reality is there's only 3 or 4 referees in Monaghan who are capable of handling a championship football match but it's all over the GAA. There is absolutely no incentive for anyone to be a referee. There are loads of past players who would make excellent referees but why would they?

On the streaming of matches fair play to the clubs especially in south Monaghan where the quality has been excellent, free of charge. Any club charging for it should take a serious look at themselves."
Yes standard of refereeing has been poor definitely in the senior games that I have seen. Goal for Carrick shouldn't have stood on the account of over carrying us just one example of many. At the end of the day it's one mans job to decide on each referee for every game, and imo that person isn't doing their assigned role to the standard required. And I feel that not enough is being done by referees in terms of reviewing their own performances, ie reviewing games and decisions that they made and got wrong, and looking to correct them. Some referees would tell you that once the game is over and they send away the report, they do nothing more

monman246 (Monaghan) - Posts: 75 - 03/08/2020 23:53:30    2286267

Link

Replying To monman246:  "Yes standard of refereeing has been poor definitely in the senior games that I have seen. Goal for Carrick shouldn't have stood on the account of over carrying us just one example of many. At the end of the day it's one mans job to decide on each referee for every game, and imo that person isn't doing their assigned role to the standard required. And I feel that not enough is being done by referees in terms of reviewing their own performances, ie reviewing games and decisions that they made and got wrong, and looking to correct them. Some referees would tell you that once the game is over and they send away the report, they do nothing more"
Refereeing all weekend was poor in the games I seen. The Drumhowan scotstown game was a shambles Drumhowan had a man shown 2 yellows no red he went off himself thinking the red was coming and Drumhowan threw on a 15th player surely the county board will review that one. Blayney could of had 4-5 black cards in the first half of their game. Sean's and oram had a major mix up with cards also.

agaa (Monaghan) - Posts: 30 - 04/08/2020 00:32:50    2286269

Link

Predictions for the weekend.

Clontibret v Magheracloone - Clontibret
Ballybay v Donaghmoyne - Ballybay
Truagh v Latton - Truagh
Scotstown v Carrickmacross - Carrickmacross

Corduff v Cremartin - Corduff
Blackhill v Currin - Blackhill
Doohamlet v Killanny - Doohamlet
Monaghan v Tyholland - Monaghan

Aghabog v Oram - Oram
Seans v Killeevan - Seans
Scotstown v Aughnamullen - Aughnamullen
Clones v Drumhown - Clones

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 172 - 07/08/2020 17:50:43    2286782

Link

Nice to see another FREE livestream being provided by Truagh and Latton

monman246 (Monaghan) - Posts: 75 - 08/08/2020 13:46:46    2286862

Link

According to their club notes, Clontibret will be streaming their game with Magheracloone on their Facebook page too

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 08/08/2020 14:51:55    2286868

Link

Absolute cheek of Scotstown to charge great GAA people €5 to see the game tonight v Carrick. An absolute disgrace that a club would try to profiteer from the tough times we are currently in. I for one will not be paying. Is Sean McCaffrey and the Northern Sound crew showing it can someone tell me?

Monaghansclown (Monaghan) - Posts: 101 - 08/08/2020 15:20:41    2286872

Link

Replying To Monaghansclown:  "Absolute cheek of Scotstown to charge great GAA people €5 to see the game tonight v Carrick. An absolute disgrace that a club would try to profiteer from the tough times we are currently in. I for one will not be paying. Is Sean McCaffrey and the Northern Sound crew showing it can someone tell me?"
High quality stream and commentary from Corduff/Cremartin. Fair play to all concerned. Much superior in quality than the Scotstown rip off.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 138 - 10/08/2020 01:03:44    2287049

Link

Tuned into the Clontibret stream for the second half of their game against Magheracloone, looks like a grand set up they had too.

Magheracloone seemed to be much the better team earlier on, but funny enough Clontibret seemed to improve a bit once they went down to 14 men, grabbed more of a foothold in midfield and had the greater momentum at the end. A couple of goal chances for each, but Clontibret seemed to have the later chances as I remember it. Draw probably a fair result on balance.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 10/08/2020 11:41:14    2287096

Link

With things shaping up a bit, Ballybay Scotstown and Truagh seem to be going well and are in the mix for contenders, Clontibret never be too far away, and Magheracloone and Carrick are competing it seems so a decent senior championship so far, Latton and Blaney seem like they'll be in a dog fight to avoid relegation,

How about Intermediate and Junior, thoughts? Aughnamullen, Seans and Clones all looks safe for q/fs, Oram losing will help aghabog and killeevan

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 10/08/2020 12:39:16    2287107

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "With things shaping up a bit, Ballybay Scotstown and Truagh seem to be going well and are in the mix for contenders, Clontibret never be too far away, and Magheracloone and Carrick are competing it seems so a decent senior championship so far, Latton and Blaney seem like they'll be in a dog fight to avoid relegation,

How about Intermediate and Junior, thoughts? Aughnamullen, Seans and Clones all looks safe for q/fs, Oram losing will help aghabog and killeevan"
Fantastic Championships. Every game like knock out. No hiding place. Pity more people cant get in the gates. In normal times it would be easy to pick out 4 games to attend.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 138 - 10/08/2020 15:13:50    2287132

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "Fantastic Championships. Every game like knock out. No hiding place. Pity more people cant get in the gates. In normal times it would be easy to pick out 4 games to attend."
Ballybay were scintillating against Donaghmoyne. It's hard to know who good they are based on that result as Donaghmoyne were awful. Looks like between them and Blayney for the drop. Blayney look toothless and clueless, a very disjointed team that struggle for scores. Clontibret / Magheracloone was a very good game and a draw was about the right result based on the ebb and flow of the game.

It's going to tough to back against Scotstown who look equipped to deal with all challenges.

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 114 - 11/08/2020 13:42:33    2287224

Link

Right folks what is the story. Do the teams who come fifth in the two senior groups play off for relegation or are the fourth placed teams in relegation bother too?

carcracker (Monaghan) - Posts: 185 - 11/08/2020 21:42:11    2287278

Link

Replying To carcracker:  "Right folks what is the story. Do the teams who come fifth in the two senior groups play off for relegation or are the fourth placed teams in relegation bother too?"
4th and 5th in both groups play each other (ie 4v5 & 4v5). Then the losers of both those games play each other in a "relegation final" where the winner stays up and the loser goes.

monman246 (Monaghan) - Posts: 75 - 11/08/2020 23:44:19    2287287

Link

Was at the Maghercloone V Clontibret game as a neutral last sunday. What a setup they have at the minute. New pitch complete to the stage where teams can warm up before hand. Gazebos in place outdoors for the teams to get changed.. Stewards were plentiful to direct everyone both in the carpark and inside the grounds.
Also the free streaming which was online I have heard was top quality also. Clontibret have always been a club well setup come game day and this comes down to the amount of great club people volunteering and giving up their time.

On the game Maghercloone contested well as expected but ran out of steam in the last 15 where Clontibret seemed to be flying. A lot of missed opportunities by both teams with Clontibrets keeper making a few crucial saves. McManus missed 4/5 points which he would score any other day. Draw was definitely a fair result.

Blayney and Donaghmoyne seem like two teams which are struggling at the minute.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 14/08/2020 12:31:36    2287516

Link

Yeah Clontibret look to have a fine set up there now, basically 2 proper quality playing pitches with another couple of training pitches on the other side, with increased parking and a walking track around the new pitch.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 15/08/2020 12:19:42    2287641

Link

As a neutral watching the Ballybay v Inniskeen game, the standard of refereeing displayed was nothing short of diabolical. Mis-booking players, some awful decisions especially against Ballybay. The officials were doing nothing from stopping Oisín mcconville from acting as an inniskeen corner forward for the Ballybay kick outs. The inniskeen officials constantly in on the pitch Although both sides were found guilty of it.

monman246 (Monaghan) - Posts: 75 - 16/08/2020 05:09:04    2287715

Link

Replying To monman246:  "As a neutral watching the Ballybay v Inniskeen game, the standard of refereeing displayed was nothing short of diabolical. Mis-booking players, some awful decisions especially against Ballybay. The officials were doing nothing from stopping Oisín mcconville from acting as an inniskeen corner forward for the Ballybay kick outs. The inniskeen officials constantly in on the pitch Although both sides were found guilty of it."
You must be one of the most biased neutrals I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. You're entitled to your opinion but don't sugar coat with neutrality.

nagrattansabu (Monaghan) - Posts: 3 - 16/08/2020 12:09:56    2287742

Link

Replying To monman246:  "As a neutral watching the Ballybay v Inniskeen game, the standard of refereeing displayed was nothing short of diabolical. Mis-booking players, some awful decisions especially against Ballybay. The officials were doing nothing from stopping Oisín mcconville from acting as an inniskeen corner forward for the Ballybay kick outs. The inniskeen officials constantly in on the pitch Although both sides were found guilty of it."
I was at the game and I thought the referee done quite well. Was a tough game with a lot niggles between players off the ball but felt the ref handled it well and didn't kill the game. I suspect your opinion isn't neutral. I can smell a Ballybay man here and to be honest the last thing Ballybay need is more excuses.

Monaghansclown (Monaghan) - Posts: 101 - 16/08/2020 23:02:00    2287814

Link

With the group stages of the Championships coming to a close, what is the knockout format? is it top 2 from each group play off?

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 17/08/2020 08:50:10    2287834

Link