Leitrim Forum

Minor championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Some win for Ballinamore last night in the minor semi final. Beating aughawillan, aughnasheelin and drumreilly all in one game is no mean feat.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 269 - 29/08/2013 12:08:41    1470769

Link

Great to see a team like Ballinamore doing it by themselves. Hope they go on to win it!

Runningman (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 29/08/2013 14:21:05    1470888

Link

Was delighted to hear Ballinamore won. Have seen these lads a few times and they are an excellent example of teamwork. Best of luck to them in the final.

tom645 (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 29/08/2013 14:31:54    1470903

Link

Great win for ballinamore minors

Will they put it up to mohill?

Are mohill as good as last year?

I haven't seen them play yet this year

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 29/08/2013 18:01:38    1471053

Link

Fantastic result for SOH going it alone! Hope now they keep injury free, as player numbers are very tight!

St Manachans

LetHerAtIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 65 - 30/08/2013 12:48:45    1471367

Link

Definitely a good achievement getting to a final when you consider of the 17 clubs represented in the "A" championship only 3 clubs were on their own. It's heartening to see a single club defying the odds amongst the majority conglomerates. This gives the other clubs, similar in structure and thinking the impetus to keep persevering so well done Ballinamore. But no cups been handed over yet!

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 05/09/2013 18:11:52    1476021

Link

With comments like the ones that have been left its no wonder football and underage county teams in particular are going no where in this county... You have senior clubs in Kerry amalgamated for the Championship yet we give out on here when clubs do it for minor, I'm from a club competing on their own and i know it is difficult to compete with the bigger teams coming together but the standard is not good, if we joined clubs and had a strong A championship, then any players not getting playing have a B team from the clubs for a B championship.

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 06/09/2013 08:26:20    1476199

Link

Mousemat ur prunes r fierce sour! Its a bit obvious..As if 3 clubs wasn't enuf ye want 2 join soh aswel? is dat wat ur sayin?:P Soft mindset "if ya cant beat dem join dem" dats real loser talk!

wats wit dese clubs n underage mad 2 latch onto d Manors n Ballinamores n search of d trophy?..Do dey need der mammies ta do evryting 4 dem..

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 06/09/2013 13:55:42    1476548

Link

Pirate hookers what mousemat has said is true there should be involvement from every club in tje county in the minor 15 A championship

That way every player gets to pay 15 aside

And a b championship for clubs to enter themselves at 13 or 11 a side

The likes of mohill shouldn't be amalgamation let them take a leaf out of ballinamore book

AND STAND ON THEIR OWN 15 FEET AND GO IT ALONE

Fair play to the Soh lads for getting to a minor 15 final by yourselves

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 06/09/2013 16:33:05    1476733

Link

Have to agree there are so many players on the manachans panel players will get no game at all. Mohill should beon there own. Fair enough eslin and cloone needing to amalgamate.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 269 - 06/09/2013 21:02:21    1476876

Link

The Fenagh/Gortletteragh team must have a panel of almost thirty if not more. The Manchans team have a panel of around 20 players , two players from Cloone and one from Eslin, i dont understand how an Eslin and Cloone amalgimation could compete in any competition with three players ? The Ballinamore team struggle to put a 15 aside team out which caused them problems in the minor league as they couldnt field a team ,so maybe Ballinamore should amalgimate with aughnasheelin , Gortletteragh/Cloone , Fenagh/Allen Gaels, Gardice/Ayghavas, Mohill/Eslin..

YankeeCandle (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 07/09/2013 12:17:24    1477007

Link

Mohill and Eslin need to amalgamate because its the way they're heading in senior football in the future! Cloone even tho they're only putting two players to Mohill is well so join up with some other club like aughavas/fenagh/gortletragh (neighbouring club). As what was said before balinamore should be amalgamated with aughnashelin because like Mohill and Eslin, it's the way they're heading! They dug their own grave in the league by not joining up with them And not being able to field a team! But they decided against this and missed out on a minor league medal! Possibly a league/ championship double! I'm sure it's not the players that don't want to join up because they would be used of playing with each other in school!

Like every other club I'd say its some old timers in the club that's calling the shots and doesn't want to join up because of some old rivalry they had generations ago! As what one of the Kildare footballers said "why do people that know so little about what's going on behind the scenes have the final say, let alone any say at all"

skippy11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 80 - 07/09/2013 13:55:59    1477062

Link

skippy11,
You can talk all you want about the older generations re-living the olden days and rivalry. ,But Two years ago a vote was taken of the minor players in SOH, and it was decided on that basis to go alone, train hard and develop a few weaker player by giving them game time in competitive matches, instead of going down the usual road of training four or five times before the season kicks off, and than 8players from Ballinamore and 7 from Aughnasheelin in the starting 15 each day! Team selection was rarely on talent just on numbers and having as even amount of players from each club on the field,! Years passed with potentially Brilliant teams loosing out because of wrong team selections and lack of training! This was set to continue for years, and first year separated, both SOH and Aughnasheelin done very well, with SOH winning the championship and narrowly losing out on the league!

In relation to the league final being conceded, if the final was played when it should have been and not 7weeks later, Ballinamore would have fielded a team no problem, But players got injured playing in county and other club games! so go away with your nonsense of us digging our own grave!

The opinion on these amalgamations is divided, but in my view playing for your own club, is a lot more satisfying then lining out with another crest on your chest! Everyone to their own, But this same opinion is shared by the current SOH minors who put in a massively spirited and passionate performance beating St. Bridget's, Here's hoping they now can keep injury free and go all the way, but a huge challenge awaits the in the form of a very strong St. Manachans!

LetHerAtIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 65 - 07/09/2013 16:11:37    1477155

Link

I'll second that letheratit

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 07/09/2013 16:18:30    1477160

Link

I'll third dat!

we won d minor shield durin d wk n celebrated as if it was d real ting. Didn matter dat was only d shield we won as a club a minor title dat manor haven't done n a while. Nutin compares 2 winnin wit ur club so i can see wer der cumin frm.n I'd say soh wud prefer a champ minor win n der own over a double as an amglamation any day! 

I'd b hard 4 a lot of ye 2 understand bt its d truth!

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 07/09/2013 17:51:22    1477216

Link

Pirate I'm from neither Augnhasheelin, Drumreilly or Aughawillan (3 teams together not touching parish is a joke) but to develop strong intercounty players we need a better standard of football, years ago clubs were amalgamated and we seemed to produce stronger underage county teams, the likes of Garadice, Oughterard, Castlefore, St. Francis, Kiltoghert etc etc. I can see what Ballinamore are trying to do and this is alright when we have big numbers but now a days its harder to hold on to players, can't develop lads if there not there in the first place

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 09/09/2013 09:25:02    1477910

Link

As far as I know aughawillan and aughnasheelin do border and on the other side drumrielly AMD aughawillan meet so they are interconnected

Ballinamore being in the middle of all 3 and fenagh is the divide between aughnasheelin and drumrielly

They have joined up for years at underage in girls football and it seems to work

My argument would be to let rural clubs that have 5 or 6 or even 10 players to provide on a panel join up

But town clubs with excess numbers like mohill should be stopped

Manachans jerseys must go right up to number 50 or 60 at this stage

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 09/09/2013 12:24:22    1478123

Link

Allstar has hit the nail on the head.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 269 - 09/09/2013 12:58:21    1478173

Link

Great result in the Minor final yesterday. Super bunch of young lads. And before there is any negative comment about amalgamations, Eslin had one lad (16) the same as Cloone (16). Young Michael Bohan cant be counted as his injury that has kept him sidelined for the past 8 weeks reoccured after 2 mins. 14 of the starting team are minor again next year while 8 of the team are U16. Credit where its due

june68 (Leitrim) - Posts: 68 - 30/09/2013 14:07:00    1492000

Link

Credit where its due to both sides for serving up an entertaining encounter. I believe both teams are missing only a few each for next year so their budding rivalry looks set to continue. These two teams have built a healthy and positive rivalry continuing their standing as the top two most competitive underage clubs in the last decade. I think for example just taking into account the last three years , there has been ten finals between the teams in the respective competitions from u14 to minor. Bodes well for ballinamore,mohill,Eslin and aughavas in the future.

Well done manachans great performance and after a lot of bridesmaid stories have got over the line to rightfully claim a deserved minor championship. It was a good game for long periods of the match. Nip and tuck settling into an absorbing contest , quick fire goals in the last stretch proving decisive,sieged upon at the crucial points in the contest with the winners duly driving home with the greater options in attack. I was very impressed with oisin madden in the backline and wondered why he couldn't make this years minor panel anyone know. In fact mohill could have used him instead of a few who took the field for them in the senior. Keith beirne from eslin stood out aswell and again where was he for the minors. Shane mcgowan is a terrier and caused ballinamore endless problems throughout.

On the ballinamore team luke murphy looked a good player.Along with murphy they have a couple of stars in the making in the mcgovern brothers ( the younger one is only 15 playing midfield in a minor championship final and was very impressive for the county u16s ).  All these players mentioned are underage for minor next year so I would be hopeful of the county minors next year.And there are many more than the ones mentioned and that's only from the top two. Fortunes maybe about to change in underage in the coming years what do you think june68. Room for optimism...

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 30/09/2013 21:58:33    1492516

Link