Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Corofin have been wonderful ambassadors for Galway football. But today is about MM. Fantastic win.

This result is good for Galway football and I say that having nothing but admiration for Corofin, what they have achieved and the manner they achieved it. It shows other clubs that they are beatable. When the hard training is being done in the winter months it is much easier if you think you have a chance.

The Corofin lads now will get a few extra weeks with PJ before the Mayo match.

Gaillimh abù

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1308 - 27/09/2020 18:57:43    2294341

Link

No guarantees Corofin will come back and win next year. Some of their older gaurd Sice, Mc Grath, will be massive losses when they step away. They have great talent but so do have some other clubs.. Today is a good day for Galway football.

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 27/09/2020 20:03:41    2294355

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "By Jesus, this SFC is one dull competition. You play as far as you can, before you eventually get a hiding from Corofin. Rinse and repeat. Who actually cares?"
This aged well

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 155 - 27/09/2020 20:24:59    2294366

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Agree fantastic run by corofin and from I saw gracious in defeat. But if I'm honest I don't see them automatically back again next year. They will be in mix up but if u look back in past few years it was 3 or 4 Galway clubs who gave them tighter games. This will give huge confidence to Mountbellew but personally I have tipped Moycullen from early in year. The big worry I'd have now is will season finish as cases are gone extremely high. . No disrespect to corofin but it would be a pity if season doesn't finish as it's brilliant for football to see a change. Well done and congrats to Mountbellew"
Even if we move to level 3 (which is looking very likely) the game will go ahead. The final will definitely get played at some point hopefully oct 4th as planned

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 27/09/2020 20:40:16    2294370

Link

Replying To Donaldtrump:  "This aged well"
Not really considering we're a whole eight years waiting for them to give up their crown. Maybe you thought the last eight years were interesting. This is a result the Football Championship desperately needed.

TanCanRan (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 27/09/2020 21:00:35    2294379

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "No guarantees Corofin will come back and win next year. Some of their older gaurd Sice, Mc Grath, will be massive losses when they step away. They have great talent but so do have some other clubs.. Today is a good day for Galway football."
Sice stepping away and he getting called back into the galway squad, doubt that. Think they really missed Fitzy, they needed someone to grab the bull by the horns in the fb line.
O brien will leave he got it wrong today very wrong and has nothing left to prove, step aside and have a new manager with fresh new ideas

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 27/09/2020 21:07:30    2294381

Link

Delighted for Mountbellew Moylough and fair play to Corofin for being gracious in defeat - a tremendous team, they did the whole county proud for so long. Today though belongs to MM and Moycullen. Looking forward to the final. Great to see how competitive Galway club football actually is.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 27/09/2020 21:40:15    2294393

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Sice stepping away and he getting called back into the galway squad, doubt that. Think they really missed Fitzy, they needed someone to grab the bull by the horns in the fb line.
O brien will leave he got it wrong today very wrong and has nothing left to prove, step aside and have a new manager with fresh new ideas"
He is 36 .. getting called into Galway is a mistake, he may club for another year or so but when he goes he will be a big loss on the field..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 27/09/2020 22:41:25    2294406

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Not really considering we're a whole eight years waiting for them to give up their crown. Maybe you thought the last eight years were interesting. This is a result the Football Championship desperately needed."
We have a great Football Championship in Galway, Annagdown, Mountbellew/Moylough & Tuam Stars all gave corofin some scares over the past few years. Corofin are a phenomenal team, but this is positive for Galway Football and a reflection of how good some of our other club teams are. Absolutely no guarantee that MM will beat Moycullen next weekend either going to be a very interesting final

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 155 - 27/09/2020 22:43:39    2294407

Link

Replying To GDL:  "Mountbellew well worth the win, Corofin looked flat. Did anybody see what happened on the sideline with Val D and some of the Corofin mentors during the first half? you couldn't see it on TV. Big week now for Moycullen and Mountbellew. Can the Mountbellew players get focused after a big win. Moycullen looked brilliant and then very shaky at times. Mountbellew have the experience of finals, but there will be very little in it."
Mountbellya in a canter - Stars, what stars?? Mountbellya will play the %'s - "rope of dope" and in low scoring, boring final win 0-12 - 0-08.

Corofin great ambassadors, but with primary schools: Belclare, C/Hackett, Sylane, Cummer, Annagh Hill, Ballinderry, Currandrum.. time for Belclare catchment area, with astro turf facilities to "man up" and become a Republic...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 393 - 28/09/2020 01:13:37    2294421

Link

Replying To giveitlong:  "3 very good matches today congratulations to those who have reached the final. The streaming is excellent."
Agreed. It has been fantastic to have the opportunity watch these matches and both the football and hurling championships have produced some cracking games. Thanks to all of the players for keeping us entertained during these crazy and difficult times.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 848 - 28/09/2020 04:10:22    2294424

Link

Replying To TanCanRan:  "Not really considering we're a whole eight years waiting for them to give up their crown. Maybe you thought the last eight years were interesting. This is a result the Football Championship desperately needed."
Your posts were saying this year's championship was a waste of time. You also disagreed that Corofin were beatable, despite having been extremely close to losing the last 2 finals. Any team can be caught on a given day.
Everyone agrees that this was a badly needed result in Galway club football. All the more reason for having the championship. If we didn't bother, then they'd never be beaten obviously.
Corofin have represented themselves and Galway with distinction and were a joy to watch in the All-Ireland series. However, we needed a different winner soon and this will also give confidence to other clubs.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 28/09/2020 09:11:15    2294428

Link

Thought it was a great game for the neutral. MM seemed to target Powers kickout and Steede, worked a treat. Thought Ian Burke was outstanding for Corofin, back to his best. Eoin Finnerty, well what can you say, confidence, great hands, strong and very direct. If Sean Kelly picks him up in the final it promises to be a great duel. I still have concerns about the Galway defence based on what I'm seeing, J Daly, not on the pitch, L Silke off form and Molloy hardly featured.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 469 - 28/09/2020 10:23:53    2294451

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Your posts were saying this year's championship was a waste of time. You also disagreed that Corofin were beatable, despite having been extremely close to losing the last 2 finals. Any team can be caught on a given day.
Everyone agrees that this was a badly needed result in Galway club football. All the more reason for having the championship. If we didn't bother, then they'd never be beaten obviously.
Corofin have represented themselves and Galway with distinction and were a joy to watch in the All-Ireland series. However, we needed a different winner soon and this will also give confidence to other clubs."
On the ball. Let's hope season finishes

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 28/09/2020 10:46:35    2294458

Link

Think what made the championship seem even more of a fait a compli was that apart from the last 2 finals where yes Corofin were blessed to get out of town the first day without a loss, 95% of the games they have played over 8 years have been one sided hammerings, over after 10 minutes.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 330 - 28/09/2020 12:14:12    2294486

Link

Couldn't believe how poor Galway seniors Steede, Molloy and Sice were. Finnerty brought Silke to the cleaners. Perhaps there's a reason some of these guys haven't featured that much for the Galway seniors over the past couple of years. Full credit to MM, should be a great final. Can see Moycullen getting goals on the day and scraping through.

steakknife (Galway) - Posts: 18 - 28/09/2020 13:59:18    2294520

Link

Can someone tell me what age finnerty is? Think Liam Silke is an excellent player but wonder if he is an out and out defender. Also noted that Paul Varley was getting good reports in the cortoon game yesterday.

BleedingMaroon (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 28/09/2020 15:00:06    2294537

Link

Replying To BleedingMaroon:  "Can someone tell me what age finnerty is? Think Liam Silke is an excellent player but wonder if he is an out and out defender. Also noted that Paul Varley was getting good reports in the cortoon game yesterday."
He was minor in 14 so around 24 I would say

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 469 - 28/09/2020 15:55:23    2294557

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "He was minor in 14 so around 24 I would say"
Finnerty was really good for the Galway minors in 2014 against Mayo in Tuam.
Was very impressed with him that day. Anytime I have seen him since (for the u21s or the seniors) he hasn't been up to much - not sure if that was loss of form or what the story was.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 822 - 28/09/2020 16:10:53    2294560

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "He was minor in 14 so around 24 I would say"
Was he on the u21 team who bet Kerry in semifinal but lost final to Dublin a few years back??

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 28/09/2020 16:11:22    2294561

Link