Donegal Forum

Senior Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Do you accept that had the player NOT been part of the county set up, he would still most likely have been positive but unaware, most likely played in the county final, possibly been involved in post match celebrations etc and a huge risk of spreading the virus in the local area?

Against the backdrop of this it is MADNESS that a championship went ahead all summer at all. With 0 testing there is no avoiding the fact that although very little transmission of the virus was directly associated with GAA, it cannot be discounted as a factor in community transmission for a virus which was once beaten down to nearly 0 but built up a head of steam again throughout the summer months."
The virus was beaten down to nearly zero, as you say, by the country being in total lockdown with nobody doing anything. Are you saying we should have continued with that level of lockdown even when the rate was practically zero? I don't think that is sustainable at all. People would go mad. I think we all did well to get the rates down, but the reward for that was getting to live life a bit for a few months in the knowledge that there would probably be a second wave... which is currently happening.

I can understand people now saying maybe the inter county shouldn't go ahead with case being so high, but definitely think going ahead with club activity was the right thing to do

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 08/10/2020 09:30:19    2296353

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "The virus was beaten down to nearly zero, as you say, by the country being in total lockdown with nobody doing anything. Are you saying we should have continued with that level of lockdown even when the rate was practically zero? I don't think that is sustainable at all. People would go mad. I think we all did well to get the rates down, but the reward for that was getting to live life a bit for a few months in the knowledge that there would probably be a second wave... which is currently happening.

I can understand people now saying maybe the inter county shouldn't go ahead with case being so high, but definitely think going ahead with club activity was the right thing to do"
The virus fired up again from somewhere. And the biggest cause of actual adult interaction and close contact among members of the community didnt come in pubs, shopping centres etc.

It came on the field of play and in training environments and whilst nobody set out with the intention to spread to virus, its got to be reflected now that it was rash, self entitled and could not possibly be dismissed from playing a part in community transmission nationally. And that opinion is not reserved exclusively for the GAA. Junior Soccer and other sports were back playing as well.

Regarding the Club vs County. There was more games played at Adult level in Donegal during the summer than will be played in the entire Football and Hurling All Ireland Championships as a whole, so stopping the intercounty season at this stage would be a meek enough response and akin to closing the stable door when the horse has bolted.

The answer from the beginning was to be mature enough to take a year out from Sport to aid the national effort- Nobody seemed to want to do that. And my view is not confined to a poster on an internet forum, Martin McHugh said the same about taking a year out on Highland during the week.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 08/10/2020 11:25:34    2296382

Link

Donegal Tyrone game on TV?

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 10/10/2020 10:27:01    2296663

Link

Donegal beat Roscommon earlier today in a challenge game played in sligo. Think 5 points was the margin in the end. If I hear anymore on it I will post.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 607 - 10/10/2020 19:05:36    2296722

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Donegal beat Roscommon earlier today in a challenge game played in sligo. Think 5 points was the margin in the end. If I hear anymore on it I will post."
Any idea of the team picked

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 229 - 11/10/2020 15:51:57    2296824

Link

Kavanagh taking over Eunans.
Maxi Curran taking over Gaothdobhair.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 02/11/2020 18:43:31    2304560

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Kavanagh taking over Eunans.
Maxi Curran taking over Gaothdobhair."
The Blind leading the Blind

Glenman (Donegal) - Posts: 182 - 04/11/2020 09:58:42    2305020

Link

I wonder when the final will get played. Without getting too far ahead of myself, let's say Donegal win Ulster then the semi final against (most likely) Dublin is scheduled for Saturday December 5th.

If we were to lose that then I think the GAA had said that once a county's involvement was over in the Championship then they could finish out their championship, Covid restrictions permitting at that time.

Would there be any appetite for the Kilcar and Glenties lads getting the final played before Christmas?

If the county were to reach the AI final then that's fixed for the 19th so it'd be highly unlikely in that scenario that the county final will be played in 2020.

Of course we could lose to Armagh next day out and that opens the door for the county final getting played after this latest lockdown and the players having had a few weeks training maybe?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 05/11/2020 12:55:01    2305298

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I wonder when the final will get played. Without getting too far ahead of myself, let's say Donegal win Ulster then the semi final against (most likely) Dublin is scheduled for Saturday December 5th.

If we were to lose that then I think the GAA had said that once a county's involvement was over in the Championship then they could finish out their championship, Covid restrictions permitting at that time.

Would there be any appetite for the Kilcar and Glenties lads getting the final played before Christmas?

If the county were to reach the AI final then that's fixed for the 19th so it'd be highly unlikely in that scenario that the county final will be played in 2020.

Of course we could lose to Armagh next day out and that opens the door for the county final getting played after this latest lockdown and the players having had a few weeks training maybe?"
If Armagh were to beat us on Sunday week, club players still wouldn't be permitted to train together until we revert back to level 3 which at the earliest looks like December 1st. I'd assume they would want a few weeks training under their belt before playing a county final. Could end up like the divisional finals in Kerry being played on Stephens' of the proceeding days.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 44 - 05/11/2020 15:16:12    2305347

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Kavanagh taking over Eunans.
Maxi Curran taking over Gaothdobhair."
Think they have more sense in Gweedore , bad move for Eunans also. if true.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 62 - 05/11/2020 17:20:31    2305394

Link

Replying To jacktheboy:  "Think they have more sense in Gweedore , bad move for Eunans also. if true."
Can u explain how it's a bad move please

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1177 - 05/11/2020 20:12:09    2305440

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "Can u explain how it's a bad move please"
I wouldn't mind that comment. Kavanagh would strike me as potentially a very good manager. He guided Donegal to a buncrana cup win. The same team weren't that successful without him the next year. He's seems to have a very good temperament and is a good communicator. The players should believe in him. There's loads of talent there. The cake walked the under 21 last year. They have plenty good defenders and plenty good attackers. They maybe lack something at midfield but give Dowling a little while. He looked the real good player for the minors last year. St eunans should have lofty ambitions both inside and outside Donegal.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 05/11/2020 23:01:26    2305476

Link

Replying To jacktheboy:  "Think they have more sense in Gweedore , bad move for Eunans also. if true."
Hi jacktheboy:. No appointments made at either club. Think deadlines were only this week.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 06/11/2020 13:18:53    2305563

Link

Whats everyones opinion on the final not going ahead until Easter?
I really don't think this is fair for either clubs. Everyone know training intensifies and your games intensifies or at least should in the lead up to championship. so both clubs will be expected to do this in late march and again in late august.

I just think this is the club players being left behind yet again especially for the county boards own mess up.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 10/11/2020 11:00:01    2307139

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Whats everyones opinion on the final not going ahead until Easter?
I really don't think this is fair for either clubs. Everyone know training intensifies and your games intensifies or at least should in the lead up to championship. so both clubs will be expected to do this in late march and again in late august.

I just think this is the club players being left behind yet again especially for the county boards own mess up."
Suppose it all depends on how Donegal go and more importantly what the Covid situation is.

There might be very little time to squeeze in the county final in 2020 if Donegal go far into this championship. Then there's the Lockdown level we're at come December. I have my doubts we'll be in Level 2. I hope I'm wrong but the numbers in Donegal still aren't great. There would want to be a significant improvement there.

But look, I hear what you're saying. The great club men of both clubs deserve better. It's a delicate situation to ensure everyone is satisfied.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 10/11/2020 14:51:05    2307229

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Whats everyones opinion on the final not going ahead until Easter?

I just think this is the club players being left behind yet again especially for the county boards own mess up."
Personally I think it's disgusting and a blatant disregard to both clubs. Can anyone please give me one legitimate reason why the county final can't be played in mid January? All Ireland will be a memory at that stage. What are the players supposed to do until then? take their foot off the pedal until end of March and then go at it full tilt hoping to peak for final. Suppose they know there will be definitely no crowds until at least April. All about the money. Once again, this is only my view.

tidytownman (Donegal) - Posts: 230 - 10/11/2020 15:51:25    2307254

Link

Replying To tidytownman:  "Personally I think it's disgusting and a blatant disregard to both clubs. Can anyone please give me one legitimate reason why the county final can't be played in mid January? All Ireland will be a memory at that stage. What are the players supposed to do until then? take their foot off the pedal until end of March and then go at it full tilt hoping to peak for final. Suppose they know there will be definitely no crowds until at least April. All about the money. Once again, this is only my view."
I presumed when the news came out that both teams agreed to an April date. We're both teams not consulted and asked to come to an agreement between themselves which to my mind would be the sensible thing to do. The way it's left now it looks like kilcar are happy but n Conal aren't. I would say there's still time to come to an agreement.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 10/11/2020 15:59:20    2307257

Link

Replying To tidytownman:  "Personally I think it's disgusting and a blatant disregard to both clubs. Can anyone please give me one legitimate reason why the county final can't be played in mid January? All Ireland will be a memory at that stage. What are the players supposed to do until then? take their foot off the pedal until end of March and then go at it full tilt hoping to peak for final. Suppose they know there will be definitely no crowds until at least April. All about the money. Once again, this is only my view."
I assume both clubs agreed to the new date? I think it would be tough on players asking them to play it in January as they would need to be training all through Christmas. At least now they know the date and they would be training with the clubs anyway for games at that time of year.

All of this is covid dependent and none of it is ideal, but it seems like a decent solution to me

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 10/11/2020 16:29:26    2307267

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "I presumed when the news came out that both teams agreed to an April date. We're both teams not consulted and asked to come to an agreement between themselves which to my mind would be the sensible thing to do. The way it's left now it looks like kilcar are happy but n Conal aren't. I would say there's still time to come to an agreement."
I wouldn't believe everything you read. I know for sure our club didn't agree to play it in April. The way it was reported it looked like both clubs were in agreement.

tidytownman (Donegal) - Posts: 230 - 10/11/2020 16:31:14    2307268

Link

If the current levels of Covid restrictions are relaxed in December I wonder what the appetite would be like in the Glenties Kilcar camps to get the final played before year end? If you're like me, I had assumed that Donegal would have been involved another while yet. Still sickened at that but if we had a county final to look forward to it might take our minds off things?

Not ideal for the players I know. You want to be playing county finals on fields that are in good nick, reasonable weather and a good big crowd. Not to mention the fact that it has now been weeks since either team played. There is simply no way that fitness and match sharpness would be what they were since the two teams last played. The county boys obviously would be fine but the remaining squad players would probably need 2-3 weeks of good training together at least to retune.

Assuming there were no restrictions, would the Sunday before Christmas be a potential date? It would give both teams the guts of a month to refocus and get ready.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 24/11/2020 09:25:02    2314469

Link