Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Brialliant brilliant stuff today. Fantastic displays all over the pitch but for me the more I see of this team and watching the line the more it becomes apparent to me that Stephen Poacher has made a huge difference. The system requires huge work rate and discipline but it's clear the players now believe in it and it's working.

Thought we were well worth the win and with a bit of luck would have had more than two goals. We certainly worked openings for about five goals and gave away two sloppy goals. The concession of two goals from high balls just kicked in more in hope would be a worry but at least it'll hardly be Dublin's style to just kick it in high but I'm sure they'll probably have other ways of causing us a problem or two!

We were probably a bit lucky with Waters black card which seemed harsh, I don't think it was a deliberate trip. Still even at that stage Wexford were coming under severe pressure to hold Carlow who were clearly the better team from about 15 minutes in and ran the legs off Wexford after that. Broderick's display was superb and his sending off was also very harsh, he was stretching for a ball he had lost control of but no malice at all in it, just an honest attempt to retrieve it.

Having to play the Dubs in Portlaoise, which wasn't deemed suitable to host the Dubs last year but now is, is a disgrace and without causing a distraction for the players needs to be fought by the county board starting first thing tomorrow morning. To hell with Dublin's season ticket holders who it seems are entitled to a seat, when Arsenal played Sutton in FA Cup they had to go Sutton's tiny home ground and got only a couple of thousand tickets and make do, and they did."
We perhaps don't need a distraction, but by the same token should the county board really be rolling over for a tummy rub on this? Outrageous given the same ground wasn't deemed fit for Laois and Dublin this time last year. Almost beat them 7 years ago at U21 in the county grounds and that's where we should be playing them again. We've rightfully earned whatever advantage is going after today, against the AI champions.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 469 - 21/05/2017 23:07:29    1989068

Link

Why on earth are you bringing an english FA cup game into this argument? If Dublin have season ticket holders then they are fully entitled to be facilitated - of course they are.

brendanantrim (Antrim) - Posts: 37 - 22/05/2017 00:26:30    1989089

Link

Well done to both the Carlow hurlers and footballers... terrific wins. Would anyone on here have good knowledge of the Carlow club scene?? I run a small tipping group - well-run, organised, a bit of a craic, we win a few bob too. If you are interested send a message to GAA - For Club and County on Facebook and I'll add you to my group. Thanks and good luck v Antrim and the Dubs.

Wicklowman (Wicklow) - Posts: 1057 - 22/05/2017 06:21:31    1989098

Link

Replying To brendanantrim:  "Why on earth are you bringing an english FA cup game into this argument? If Dublin have season ticket holders then they are fully entitled to be facilitated - of course they are."
Because I think it is a relevant comparison. I'm not saying Dubs season ticket holders should not be accommodated, of course they should, and they can be in Carlow but the reason it's in Portlaoise is because Carlow doesn't have enough seats for Dublin's season ticket holders. I'm sure most of them would be wiling to accept a terrace ticket but that's not an option it seems, hence we have to play at home in Portlaoise.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 22/05/2017 09:26:30    1989150

Link

Congratulations, never happy to see Wexford lose but Carlow were worth the win. A great boost and well deserved.

dumptruck1 (Wexford) - Posts: 194 - 22/05/2017 09:40:19    1989154

Link

Replying To brendanantrim:  "Why on earth are you bringing an english FA cup game into this argument? If Dublin have season ticket holders then they are fully entitled to be facilitated - of course they are."
And why is it that the rights of the Dublin season ticket holders are superior to the rights of a small county to have their rights of home advantage?

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 153 - 22/05/2017 09:55:42    1989166

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Because I think it is a relevant comparison. I'm not saying Dubs season ticket holders should not be accommodated, of course they should, and they can be in Carlow but the reason it's in Portlaoise is because Carlow doesn't have enough seats for Dublin's season ticket holders. I'm sure most of them would be wiling to accept a terrace ticket but that's not an option it seems, hence we have to play at home in Portlaoise."
It seems to me that someone, somewhere, is making this up as things progress. O'Moore Park was deemed not suitable for the Dubs / Laois game last year so Laois played a " home" game in Kilkenny. Now Dr Cullen Park isn't suitable so Carlow should play a " home" game in Portlaoise ?? Baffling to say the least !!

I really hope your County board / Leinster reps fight this. It's not just about a football match, it's a massive revenue loss for the whole town. Possibly 15 to 20 thousand Dubs rolling into town on a bank-holiday weekend would be a massive money- spinner.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 383 - 22/05/2017 09:56:25    1989168

Link

I don't want to be putting dampeners on what was a terrific weekend for Carlow GAA, but will Paul Broderick be suspended for Dublin match after yesterday's red card?

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 22/05/2017 10:22:46    1989189

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Because I think it is a relevant comparison. I'm not saying Dubs season ticket holders should not be accommodated, of course they should, and they can be in Carlow but the reason it's in Portlaoise is because Carlow doesn't have enough seats for Dublin's season ticket holders. I'm sure most of them would be wiling to accept a terrace ticket but that's not an option it seems, hence we have to play at home in Portlaoise."
Plenty of Carlow men have felt at home in Portlaoise over the years... In fact, Leix even had a few of them playing yesterday against Longford... Sure, there hasn't been a single success Leix every enjoyed that wasn't backboned by Carlow men. We'll manage.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 352 - 22/05/2017 10:51:18    1989210

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Firstly, well done today. A fine performance, defensively in the first half, and in score taking in the second.

Just a couple of points from your post. Wexfords 2 midfielders went AWOL ??? 1 was bizzarely given a black Card and the other was carried off. That's hardly going AWOL !!!
Brendan Murphy, a fine footballer and has been for years, got little protection from the ref ???
I must have been watching a different game !!

Anyway, best of luck against the Dubs. Someone told me today that it's in Portlaoise ?
I understood that today's winners had home advantage. I hope your people at Leinster council don't let this happen."
Apologies, Yelowbelly, for allowing laziness to make me take a short cut with the use of AWOL. Of course it was not an apt description of what happened your two midfielfders but I conveyed that they weren't on the field.
The long explanation is as follows. Wexford's captain, Waters, was having a dominating role when he seemed to slice the legs of a carlow player with a scythe-like kick when stopping an opponent who was going clear for a score. That's how it appeared to me from the stand but it was at the opposite side of the pitch and there was no reshowing of the incident. Regardless of the view as to whether it was right/wrong, the result was that ye were down a good player. The second midfielder, Colm Kehoe, was stretchered off because of an injury and thus both midfielders were no longer playing for Wexford. It was a definite advantage to Carlow. It wasn't AWOL but NLOF (No Longer on Field).
Brendan Murphy was targeted very often and even though he got frees, it was overdone in my view and he deserves credit for his control in not lashing out.
When we beat Dublin, the nation will see that Carlow and Wexford are way above Div.4 level!

No1realist (Carlow) - Posts: 125 - 22/05/2017 11:51:04    1989260

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Firstly, well done today. A fine performance, defensively in the first half, and in score taking in the second.

Just a couple of points from your post. Wexfords 2 midfielders went AWOL ??? 1 was bizzarely given a black Card and the other was carried off. That's hardly going AWOL !!!
Brendan Murphy, a fine footballer and has been for years, got little protection from the ref ???
I must have been watching a different game !!

Anyway, best of luck against the Dubs. Someone told me today that it's in Portlaoise ?
I understood that today's winners had home advantage. I hope your people at Leinster council don't let this happen."
Apologies, Yelowbelly, for allowing laziness to make me take a short cut with the use of AWOL. Of course it was not an apt description of what happened your two midfielfders but I conveyed that they weren't on the field.
The long explanation is as follows. Wexford's captain, Waters, was having a dominating role when he seemed to slice the legs of a carlow player with a scythe-like kick when stopping an opponent who was going clear for a score. That's how it appeared to me from the stand but it was at the opposite side of the pitch and there was no reshowing of the incident. Regardless of the view as to whether it was right/wrong, the result was that ye were down a good player. The second midfielder, Colm Kehoe, was stretchered off because of an injury and thus both midfielders were no longer playing for Wexford. It was a definite advantage to Carlow. It wasn't AWOL but NLOF (No Longer on Field).
Brendan Murphy was targeted very often and even though he got frees, it was overdone in my view and he deserves credit for his control in not lashing out.
When we beat Dublin, the nation will see that Carlow and Wexford are way above Div.4 level!

No1realist (Carlow) - Posts: 125 - 22/05/2017 11:51:55    1989262

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "It seems to me that someone, somewhere, is making this up as things progress. O'Moore Park was deemed not suitable for the Dubs / Laois game last year so Laois played a " home" game in Kilkenny. Now Dr Cullen Park isn't suitable so Carlow should play a " home" game in Portlaoise ?? Baffling to say the least !!

I really hope your County board / Leinster reps fight this. It's not just about a football match, it's a massive revenue loss for the whole town. Possibly 15 to 20 thousand Dubs rolling into town on a bank-holiday weekend would be a massive money- spinner."
Cheers YB. We'll see now what OUR chairman of the Leinster Council is made of!

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 22/05/2017 12:25:19    1989287

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Plenty of Carlow men have felt at home in Portlaoise over the years... In fact, Leix even had a few of them playing yesterday against Longford... Sure, there hasn't been a single success Leix every enjoyed that wasn't backboned by Carlow men. We'll manage."
Jaysus Carps, that's a desperate post. Carlow had a fantastic win and you're bringing up stuff that has no relevance to what lies ahead for Carlow, which is Dublin!

In regard to the game yesterday, Broderick proved how important it is to have a clinical free taker. Its worth 3 or 4 a game and in derbies or fixtures against teams of similar ability, this can be the different. I really think Carlow need more pace in the half forward line and need a more mobile center back in order to limit Dublin's attacking threat. Gannon surely will be brought in? You could probably play Foley as a third midfielder and put Gannon center forward! All in all boys it was a great win, my neighbours are sick here on the border :)

MinuteMan (Dublin) - Posts: 11 - 22/05/2017 12:26:03    1989289

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "I don't want to be putting dampeners on what was a terrific weekend for Carlow GAA, but will Paul Broderick be suspended for Dublin match after yesterday's red card?"
No Blackbogger, two yellow cards doesn't mean suspension in GAA, that's only in Soccer. You can breath now my friend :)

MinuteMan (Dublin) - Posts: 11 - 22/05/2017 12:28:04    1989295

Link

Nice win yesterday, should have been more in it, but great to finally get that win. We will be well beaten by Dublin but I'm hoping we go there and atleast put up a good showing and hope for a good draw in the qualifiers, there is some potential in this Carlow team, delighted for all the players and management team too things went a bit astray last year but they seem to have steadied the ship and are starting to make real progress. Great spread of clubs involved also from junior to senior

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1308 - 22/05/2017 12:37:30    1989303

Link

Replying To MinuteMan:  "Jaysus Carps, that's a desperate post. Carlow had a fantastic win and you're bringing up stuff that has no relevance to what lies ahead for Carlow, which is Dublin!

In regard to the game yesterday, Broderick proved how important it is to have a clinical free taker. Its worth 3 or 4 a game and in derbies or fixtures against teams of similar ability, this can be the different. I really think Carlow need more pace in the half forward line and need a more mobile center back in order to limit Dublin's attacking threat. Gannon surely will be brought in? You could probably play Foley as a third midfielder and put Gannon center forward! All in all boys it was a great win, my neighbours are sick here on the border :)"
Well noted Minuteman. WE were just talking about our half forward lne on sat. evening and how they were poor. Fortunately it didn't arise yesterday as Wexford never turned up but it's an accident waiting to happen. Our CB is slow but John Murphy sits in there as cover. FWIW I would start Gannon and moran in half line.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 22/05/2017 13:21:43    1989331

Link

Carlow GAA, congrats and well done yesterday. Although it was your first championship win in a number of years, by no means was this a shock. We have seen the progress Carlow have been making over the last 2-3 years. It is very satisfying to see a manager given a period of time to try and turn things around and not be judged over a 1 year span. Turlough has done exactly this. Although it probably won't be said publicly, we all know Dublin will win the next day but I think in the context of things that is irrelevant. It's a fantastic opportunity for the players and management to pit themselves against the best team in the country at the moment. I sincerely hope you enjoy the lead up to the day and of course the day itself. We will all be shouting for you. Weaker counties abú!

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 22/05/2017 14:07:46    1989367

Link

Well done to Carlow on their win yesterday, though a competition that pits them against the Dubs as a "reward" has to be questioned. At least I hope the game is played in Carlow, so they get the economic benefit out of it. Dubs will win enough.

festy_o_semtex (UK) - Posts: 67 - 22/05/2017 15:22:42    1989419

Link

Firstly well done to the footballers yesterday, great win everything good in the championship was there.

To read a great pre and post match preview / analysis you wouldn't do much better than to read John Divilly in the Cork Examiner on Saturday and again today, for once an informed knowledgable commentary, greT analysis of the game and players - for once!!

Finally great to hear the Bull Hennessy getting national coverage for his radio commentary, days like yesterday are scarce, passion like his is even scarcer, great stuff !!

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 22/05/2017 17:49:22    1989504

Link

Replying To No1realist:  "Apologies, Yelowbelly, for allowing laziness to make me take a short cut with the use of AWOL. Of course it was not an apt description of what happened your two midfielfders but I conveyed that they weren't on the field.
When we beat Dublin, the nation will see that Carlow and Wexford are way above Div.4 level!"
I don't like labouring the point, Carlow won well and could have won by more, but I am really wondering if we were watching the same game. The Waters / Murphy incident happened in front of the stand, in the Carlow half, the Carlow player was about 80 metres from the Wexford goal - hardly a clear scoring opportunity ???

The only " scything" tackle in the game was the obvious black card pull down on B Malone in the first 2 minutes.

But, as the saying goes " thems the breaks", Carlow got them and proved to be a far better team than the15 that Wexford had on the field after the first 20 minutes.
Best of luck against the Dubs, if another few players could rise to the levels of Murphy & Broderick you could cause another surprise or 2 before the championship ends.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 383 - 22/05/2017 18:08:40    1989510

Link