Antrim Forum

League Format

(Oldest Posts First)

With the motion passed last nite to turn Div1 and Div2 into 12 team leagues and the remaining 10 staying it Div3 this means no one will be relegated from any division and 4 teams will be promoted from 3 instead of 2. Surely the teams who battled hard to avoid the drop (mainly div2 Randalstown and St Endas) are disgusted as are the teams who battled hard for promotion until the last day (Ballymena Div2 and Dunloy Div3). Im happy enough myself as Rasharkin stay in 2 but really dont think its the fair way. Thoughts?

eddiebatman (Antrim) - Posts: 17 - 08/12/2015 09:58:10    1811912

Link

Not fair, completely about self preservation from Sarsfields. Are you happy as a Rasharkin man though, with the number of retirements you are having would a year in div 3 to blood new players against teams like aggies, ods, antrim, st mals not do the young players a lot of good? playing in div 2 with players who may take time to find their feet might not be great. in some cases its better to take a step back to take 2 forward. look at Aghagallon, they flew threw div 3 this year and i have no doubt at all that they will be at the top end of div 2 come the business end of the year, they blooded a lot of young lads and it worked, even look at their u21 run, lot of that can be put down to confidence and winning at senior level.

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 08/12/2015 10:53:59    1811933

Link

the watcher: Agree with all of that Rasharkin need a year to rebuild theres no doubt and a few confidence boosting results in Div3 for a year would have done no harm as it did with aghagallon they are making giant strides having only lost 1 game in 3 and u21's getting as close as anyone to the johnnies. With teams in div3 having no idea this was happening the likes of ardoyne and st comgalls who prob gave fringe players a run out last few games as if they could go up that wouldnt have been the case im sure. Sarsfields will still go down next season poorest team in div2 last season. Think some of the div 3 teams coming up may struggle too its a big step.

eddiebatman (Antrim) - Posts: 17 - 08/12/2015 11:18:05    1811941

Link

I cant see how a 12 team div 1 will be better than a 10 team div 1.

It will just result in more heavy defeats IMO. Look at st teresas and aldergrove this season as a prime example.

10-12-12 would have been a better fit, however this would not have suited the teams that championed the 12-12-10 scenario!

johnanthony (Antrim) - Posts: 169 - 08/12/2015 11:23:35    1811943

Link

Sarsfields only proposed the motion. It needed 2/3 majority to get through and it did.

StillWater2 (Antrim) - Posts: 32 - 08/12/2015 12:27:48    1811965

Link

Sarsfields only proposed the motion. It needed 2/3 majority to get through and it did.

StillWater2 (Antrim) - Posts: 32 - 08/12/2015 12:27:54    1811966

Link

I actually think that this format is favourable to the like of Ballymena, Randalstown and St Endas as it gives them a bit more breathing space next year. Same could be said of Rasharkin if they are introducing new blood. With all due respect any teams or players that are trying to progress are better away from playing teams like St Mals, Antrim, Eire Og, Lisburn, Pearses, Mitchells etc. Liewise this makes for a much more competitive Div 3 so teams with genuine ambition have a better chance of making that first step and gaining belief/momentum and getting moving.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 08/12/2015 12:32:27    1811969

Link

i agree 10-12-12 would be the best set up, another year in div 1 will do St Theresas zero good, the only points they got last year were in dead rubbers, I'm sure they would have liked a year in div 2 with that bit of experience to stand them. also another 4 games for Div 1 and 2 teams? as if we dont have a drawn out enough schedule as it is, also hopefully the county team will get a longer run this year which will probably knock fixtures back a bit. willing to let it go but if it becomes a farce at the end of the year and the season going on longer then we cant really blame anyone. to be honest i would actually be in favour of starting the leagues a month earlier and trying to wrap them up before championship instead of the farcical games we have in October/ November, would also stop teams getting 'questionable' results at the season end against teams with zero to play for.

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 08/12/2015 15:14:32    1812039

Link

When we discussed potential league changes a while back on here I was in favour of a12,12,10 format so naturally I am happy with last nights outcome. I can see the arguement where there might be some big wins especially in Div 1 but I tend to be more of an optimist and hope that having 4 more teams in the top 2 divisions has the potential to improve our standard of County players. Div 3 for me last year wasn't a good format as we saw a lot of very one sided games before the split and if you look at the table after the split there were a couple of the teams in the top 7 who ended up with large score differentials. Taking the 4 teams who are taken from this Division- Aghagallon, Dunloy, Glenravel and Davitts you are left with what should be quite a competitive league. Division 2 also has the potential to throw up a lot of tight games with a good SW/South Antrim split of teams and Div 1 also sees an even split of city/country teams. Regarding the 4 extra rounds of games and fitting them in - don't forget there will be less hurling fixtures freeing up a few more Midweeks/Weekends.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4055 - 08/12/2015 18:26:06    1812135

Link

the_watcher agree that leagues should be started earlier.

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 09/12/2015 08:13:45    1812194

Link

i think starting the leagues the weekend after St Patricks day would be a good time to start. looking at last years fixtures the leagues started on wed the 8th April. if we started this year on sunday 20th March it would mean we would have 3 rounds of league fixtures ran off before this time last year (4 if you go for a round of wednesday games also). surely that would go someway to getting leagues wrapped up sooner.

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 09/12/2015 12:02:25    1812257

Link

Utter joke in Antrim this motion was passed. Complete naivety from the proposer to expand the league without consulting the championship format. 4 extra league fixtures, reserve games also, what the hell are these idiots thinking! And what's more, any club that had aspirations of competing in hurling also, forget it. Waste of bloody time.

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 14/12/2015 09:52:12    1812876

Link

Sure Armagh are no use at hurling anyway ;)

Naysayer (Antrim) - Posts: 2071 - 16/12/2015 09:55:10    1813098

Link

Complete naivety from the proposer to expand the league without consulting the championship format.

Actually agree with you on this point Rules_Man. When I heard the whispers of a potential change of league format a number of months back I just assumed that it would extend to the Championship to align the 3 Leagues to the 3 grades of Championship. So yes I would say it wasn't the best thought out proposal from the point that it neglected the chance to change the Championship. However, I am still happy with the new league format - hopefully within a year or two we will see a better standard of top teams which in turn feeds in to a better rounded County team. Suppose time will tell.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4055 - 16/12/2015 11:03:17    1813113

Link

The clear reason it wasn't part of the proposal was because the club proposing it were doing so for self preservation, Championship wasn't in their mind when making the proposal.

the_watcher (Antrim) - Posts: 128 - 16/12/2015 20:53:09    1813220

Link

Armagh is changing league football structures and we have that luxury because Hurling is defunct in the orchard. God only knows why Antrim clubs thought it was a good idea to change their failing divisions to four extra games. MENTAL. Only serving to damage one code

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 18/12/2015 12:47:22    1813460

Link

Aye but there are 4 less hurling league fixtures - it's a ying/yang thing. Plus there's talk of a February start for the leagues meaning more time to fit in the same amount of overall fixtures for the codes combined. Should actually allow for more of a gap between Football and Hurling games so helping the dual player.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4055 - 18/12/2015 15:36:17    1813518

Link

Was reading back through Eddie batmans post from shortly after the league changes were confirmed. He made a point about the teams who fought hard right to the end of the season to get promoted, Ballymena & Dunloy. I was dead against league structures changed to this nature but now I've had time to think about it, I am now off the opinion that the league format is good and here's why.

Ballymena beat St Brigid's last year in a league game that nobody would have fancied them for well after St Brigid's were promoted. St Brigid's threw a reserve Team out against glenavy in order their established non graded players could play in the reserve game to gift them the reserve league, again well into the business end off the season.
Two years ago aldergrove beat creggan up at creggan and ensured aldergroves safety, ahogill hammered cargin a number of years ago in toome to secure Div 1 status in a game where the cargin 1St team trained on the opposite pitch. That's just a couple of examples of teams pulling out of fixtures because they don't matter to them. The comedy of gort & St Thereas two years back was also a fault of the prior league structure.
To their credit the only club I see going full tilt every game every year is St Galls.

So now the league spilts into two divisions after the break, it will be interesting to see how many non competivtive fixtures there will be. No hiding place !

Rules_man (Armagh) - Posts: 152 - 21/03/2016 09:23:05    1836274

Link