Mayo Forum

Club championship fixtures

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

And yet again in mayo only one team matters and every other team in mayo will play a championship game in may, one in June and the third could be anytime up to October. How would Steven rochford plan a training programme around this sort of fixture list. And yet the club's will take it lying down again, maybe not,the CPA is now on the scene and could make an impression here

rober (Mayo) - 22/02/2017 10:02:37    1959482

Link

its not just mayo, every county who are always there or there abouts come the business end of the championship are those who delay club championships

hawkeye82 (Kerry) - 22/02/2017 14:01:01    1959567

Link

To be honest I don't see a huge issue with this. At least this year there is clarity. Other years it was will we , wont we play the next round. Teams now know where they stand. Holidays can be booked and weddings attended. Players can enjoy there summers. There is plenty of league games to be played and if teams wants to take a while off they can. We are blessed to have a great county team so I for one hope there isn't a ball kicked in the knockout stages until October.

bonnyandclyde (Mayo) - 22/02/2017 15:12:30    1959589

Link

Mayo Junior Championship Predictions:

Group 1:
Crossmolina B V Charlestown B Home 3

Ballina B V Kilmeena Away 4

Group 2:
Ballycroy V Achill Away 6

Knockmore V Kilmaine Away 4

Group 3:
Ballintubber B V Ardagh Away 2

Lahardane V Ballycastle Home 3

Group 4:
Balla V Cill Chomain Home 2

Kilfian V Killala Away 3

footie16 (Mayo) - 17/06/2017 10:38:09    2000560

Link

Mayo Intermediate Championship Predictions:

Group 1:
Ardnaree V Ballyhaunis Home 2

Parke/K/C V Belmullet Away 2

Group 2:
Shrule/Glencorrib V Mayo Gaels Home 4

Islandeady V Swinford Home 4

Group 3:
Burrishoole V The Neale Draw

Louisburgh V Bonniconlon Home 1

Group 4:
Kiltimagh V Castlebar B Home 5

Tourmakeady V Bohola Moy Davitts Away 2

footie16 (Mayo) - 17/06/2017 10:38:32    2000562

Link

Mayo Senior Championship Predictions:

Group 1
Knockmore V Garrymore Home win 3

Westport V Charlestown home 2

Group 2
Hollymount/Carramore V Breaffy Away 2

Davitts V Ballaghaderren draw

Group 3
Kiltane V Claremorris Home 2

Aghamore V Ballintubber Away 1

Group 4
Ballina V Crossmolina Home 2

Castlebar V Ballinrobe Home 6

footie16 (Mayo) - 17/06/2017 10:38:56    2000563

Link

Replying To footie16:  "Mayo Senior Championship Predictions:

Group 1
Knockmore V Garrymore Home win 3

Westport V Charlestown home 2

Group 2
Hollymount/Carramore V Breaffy Away 2

Davitts V Ballaghaderren draw

Group 3
Kiltane V Claremorris Home 2

Aghamore V Ballintubber Away 1

Group 4
Ballina V Crossmolina Home 2

Castlebar V Ballinrobe Home 6"
Mayo Senior Championship Round 3:
Group 1:
Knockmore V Westport in Castlebar.

Not sure is Lee Keegan playing as he is absent for the International rules.
No repeat of last year glory for Westport so Knockmore are a Senior pedigree.

Knockmore to win by 3

Charlestown Sarsfields V Garrymore in Bekan.
Both teams will fancy themselves to win and both teams are ordinary Senior teams. Jimmy Killen & the Nallys Trevor Shane are key.
Charlestown Colm Maye and Gareth O'Donnell are key for the green.
Draw

Group 2:
Davitts V Hollymount/Carramore in Bekan.

Davitts need to get a win to avoid relegation play-offs and been playing Senior Championship since 2012 failing to reach knockouts stages. Michael Conroy, Colm Boyle & R. McNamara are key for black/red.
Hollymount/Carramore now need to prove that are they good enough to reach knockouts despite last year beating Ballintubber 1st and end up in Relegation play offs.

Hollymount/Car to win by 4

Breaffy V Ballaghaderren in Bekan.
Breaffy are expected to win and need AOS to transfer his Mayo form into the club fold.
Ballaghaderren took a lot of damage from opening round hammering at home to Hollymount/Carra but restore a bit of pride following 1 pt win over Davitts.
There a chance for the Mayo/Roscommon border men.

Breaffy to win 3

Group 3:
Kiltane V Aghamore in Ballina.
Aghamore to win 3.

Kiltane are no longer the team that visitors hate playing.
Kiltane form in Away or nuetral venue is quite poor. M. Sweeney, S. Lindsay & PJ Gaughan key.
Aghamore a team I expect to make noise following the last 2 years winning U21 A championship.
It may be to soon for Aghamore to challenge for Senior title but will win thus tie.
D. Kenny, A. Freeman and F. Boland key.

Claremorris V Ballintubber in Ballinrobe.
Ballintubber have 2 win from 2 so already qualified but this is a interesting tie for Claremorris as they the most underachieving Senior team in Mayo and expected to do well following U21 A 2014 & U18 A 2015.

Ballintubber to win 3

Group 4:
Ballina Stephenites V Castlebar Mitchell's in Knockmore.

It's great to see Ballina back playing well because but they have beaten 2 poor Senior teams Ballinrobe and Crossmolina also playing Division 2 football which is a step down but credit must go to Enda Gilvarry as Ballina have improved.
Castlebar are the team to beat and I believe it's to far fetched for Ballina to win.

Castlebar by 4

Ballinrobe V Crossmolina Deel Rovers in Castlebar.

Both teams know each other inside out haven't met plenty of times in Championship meetings each having a fair share of wins mostly Crossmolina.
Both teams are poor.
I'm going for a surprise Ballinrobe win.

Ballinrobe to win 1

footie16 (Mayo) - 29/09/2017 13:09:11    2051672

Link

Mayo Intermediate Championship Group 1 Round 3:

Ardnaree Sarsfield V Parke/K/C In Knockmore

Both teams will fancy their chances but Ardnaree are in good form in the league following last week good over Moy Davitts away. Parke/K/C are a tough Championship team to beat like Kilmaine found last year in Kilmaine.
I won't write off Parke but I go for the north Mayo men.

Ardnaree to win 2

Belmullet V Ballyhaunis in Ballina.
Belmullet form is poor and manager N.Reape has walk away but got a good result V Kilmaine away last weekend.
Ballyhaunis are no world beaters themselves. Chris Barrett V Keith Higgins

Draw

Group 2:
Shrule/Glencorrib V Islandeady in Tourmakeady.

Both teams will fancy themselves.
Shrule lost at home to Mayo Gaels by 2 and beat a poor Swinford team so they may not setting the world on fire.
Islandady reaching knockouts last year was a stepping stone at last.

Shrule/G to win 2

Swinford V Mayo Gaels

Both teams are ordinary or poor.
Swinford are having a poor year bottom Division 3 and lost 2 championship games.
Mayo Gaels are no world beaters as well but bottom of Division 2 with no wins.
Either team can win.

Mayo Gaels by 2

Group 3
Louisburgh V Burrishoole in Westport.
County Junior champion Louisburgh have 3 points out of 4 which John Kelly should be happy.
1 more point should be enough to reach knockout.
Burrishoole are an established Intermediate team but usually make last 8.

Burrishoole by 3

Bonniconlon V The Neale in Bekan.

Bonniconlon are dreadful at this level never reaching the knockout and avoiding the drop to Junior for years.
The Neale will be hoping to return to the good days of 2012-2015

The Neale 3

Group 4:

Kiltimagh V Tourmakeady in Claremorris.

Strongest V the weakest.
12 months time favourite Kiltimagh could be playing Senior while Tourmakeady could be playing Junior or maybe both be still Intermediate.
Only 1 winner here.

Kiltimagh by 5

Bohola Moy Davitts V Castlebar Mitchell's B

Moy Davitts like Claremorris underachieving in Intermediate level and have the squad of youth talent.
Castlebar have nothing to lose as Tourmakeady should enter the relegation but the 15 players that play for the Mitchell's will be aiming to play well and get scout for the Senior team

Bohola Moy Davitts by 4

footie16 (Mayo) - 29/09/2017 13:30:45    2051682

Link

No real surprises this weekend in the Inter.
Ardnaree hammering A Parke team who were already through maybe.
Ardnaree vs Moy Davitts the pick of the quarter finals

Westmayo (Mayo) - 01/10/2017 21:42:37    2052219

Link

Castlebar beaten by Ballina wonder did Castlebar have other things on their minds.

Westport All-Ireland Intermediate champion enter relegation play-offs but i expect Ballinrobe to get relegated.

Kiltane deserve credit for beating Aghamore in a nuetral venue Aghamore I expected better from them this year.

Intermediate is wide open Kiltimagh favourite but Bohola Moy Davitts a mention.

footie16 (Mayo) - 02/10/2017 00:20:34    2052256

Link

Club Championship off again this weekend coming again.

Breaffy very impressive last weekend and I think they will have enough to see past Claremorris.

Ballintubber were not that impressive but taking into account they were already through and still beat a progressive Claremorris by 5 shows they have a bit of form and more to show so they should beat Hollymount carramore although with Hollycara you never know what you will get and they did beat tubber last year in the championship.

Garrymore were handed the white Dove in the draw, Ballina had a suprise victory over a Castlebar team who were already qualified, I expect the experienced Garrymore side to make short work of this game with Nally x 2, Crowe, Killeen, Tierney to name a few should have way too much for this Ballina side who have progressed this year.

Finally Castlebar take on Knockmore in the glamour tie of the round. Castlebar should be back to Full strength and after their wakening call from last weekend I think you'll see normal service resume and they will have a little too much up front for the Parish of the backs.

BigMayoFan (Mayo) - 02/10/2017 09:23:36    2052277

Link

Castlebar v Knockmore - Castlebar have made life difficult for themselves with loss to Ballina. Still have the best squad in the County and shouls still win the title. James Durcan a loss last weekend. Knockmore have been very efficient this year and the game in Ballina a huge plus. They have some serious players and expect a titanic battle. - Castlebar by 1

Breaffy v Claremorris - Breaffy laid down a marker with their huge win over Ballagh. Dont think they are unstoppable but have huge physicality. Hoping that they leave off Irwin again this weekend because we need every advantage we can get. We lost James Stretton to one of a number of overly robust Ballintubber tackles yesterday and he will be a huge loss. We got a few minutes into Colin Gill & Conor Diskin and if they can start we will give Breaffy a tough hour. Breaffy by 2

Ballintubber v Holly-Carra - Ballintubber looked a little leggy yesterday but they are the most physical team left with some of their hits more than a little questionable. Diarmuid came on and with Cillian and a strong MF they have a lot of plusses. Holly-carra beat them last year and have lively forwards who will pose serious questions for Tubber. HC defence may lack a little pace but this is a real tight game to call - Draw

Ballina v Garrymore - Ballina had a serious win last weekend and confidence will be high. They have youthful exuberance all over the field with a very strong FF line. Garrymore won the tightest game of the weekend but the standard was that of junior football. They were beat by 25 points at this stage last year and i think the team is even weaker now. Ballina by 11

theenforcer (UK) - 02/10/2017 14:12:16    2052407

Link

castlebar
breaffy
Tubber
Garrymore

Castlebar will bounce back, they want to peak in the knockouts and i expect them too have too much off the bench

breaffy are a serious force with the O Sheas and the management is a positive too.

Tubber is the weakest of the 4 in terms of their chances as i feel Hollycara are getting better as the year goes on.

Finally Garrymore are a step or two above Ballina, Playing in 1B and the victory over castlebar was not a real reflection as Castlebar were already through. Garrymore have the class to win this with a bit to spare

GrassRoots2010 (Mayo) - 02/10/2017 14:26:54    2052411

Link

Knockmore, Breaffy, Ballina and Ballintubber to win.
Breaffy v Knockmore final (depends on semi draw)
Breaffy to win.

Castlebar may stumble over Knockmore but hard to see them winning it out.

pdempsey (Mayo) - 02/10/2017 15:09:28    2052435

Link

This weekend is easy bar one.

Breaffy will beat Claremorris
Ballintubber
Garrymore are certs, trust me, in the know
Castlebar knockmore draw

Galwaytill Idie (Galway) - 06/10/2017 09:53:41    2053494

Link

Breaffy will have 8-10 points to spare over Claremorris
Ballintubber to pull away in last 10 minutes and win by 4
Ballina will beat Garrymore by 5/6 points
Castlebar to scrape past Knockmore (1/2 points) and get back on track to win the Championship

imonmyway (Mayo) - 06/10/2017 12:24:02    2053540

Link

Was at the Breaffy v Claremorris and Ballintubber v Carramore/Holly games yesterday evening . Great win for Claremorris but Breaffy must be totally bewildered as to how they lost that game. Great draw in the other one and great game too.

davittsman (Mayo) - 08/10/2017 11:40:51    2053840

Link

A big congrats to Lahardane. They played with real guts and spirit. Kilmaine must be wondering how they through it away. Rumours that they just had to show up proved false.

Tizcold (Galway) - 09/10/2017 05:32:24    2053981

Link

Replying To imonmyway:  "Breaffy will have 8-10 points to spare over Claremorris
Ballintubber to pull away in last 10 minutes and win by 4
Ballina will beat Garrymore by 5/6 points
Castlebar to scrape past Knockmore (1/2 points) and get back on track to win the Championship"
1 out of 4.....

yew_tree (Mayo) - 09/10/2017 08:55:32    2053997

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "1 out of 4....."
Yes I didn't expect them results - no one would have expected Claremorris to beat Breaffy and I certainly did not see the big Garrymore win coming. However I still think Castlebar will complete their three in a row this year...

imonmyway (Mayo) - 09/10/2017 10:31:42    2054020

Link