Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

National Forum

Wicklow GAA thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheChampion:  "Not sure if that was rage bait Sponger, or just an uneducated comment but Arklow Rocks are actually only playing ONE team in the IHC final on Sunday - Western Gaels. What I think you meant to say was 7 different clubs, but that's not factually correct either."
Either way, the result of the Intermediate final on Sunday must be a plus for the county. If Arklow Rocks win, it will be a club which contributed to the county hurling team in the past. If Western Gaels wins, it will be another team in West Wicklow which has been represented solely by Kiltegan for as long as I am following GAA in the county.

There is still a lot of work to be done to promote hurling and try to get the county team(s) competing against counties that Wicklow competed against and beat in the past but to give some credit, it seems from the outside looking in that the county board and clubs are making progress in terms of restoring hurling to parts which have been dormant or non-existent in the past.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 2287 - 02/10/2026 17:00:27    2695952

Link

Aughrim have retained their senior hurling status. Its great to see the work done over the last decade with Luke O'Tooles paying off.

Avondale will have to regroup and push to win intermediate next year.

Arklow and Western Gaels to battle it out for promotion to senior on Sunday.

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 257 - 02/10/2026 20:49:39    2695976

Link

Replying To liam500:  "Aughrim have retained their senior hurling status. Its great to see the work done over the last decade with Luke O'Tooles paying off.

Avondale will have to regroup and push to win intermediate next year.

Arklow and Western Gaels to battle it out for promotion to senior on Sunday."
Aughrim retaining their senior status has to be a plus, which taken alongside Western Gaels stepping up to an intermediate final with a resurgent ARP club have to be positives for hurling in the county. One burning question though is, what is going on with Avondale in both codes ?. The lack of young players coming through seems to be a major problem, which begs the question, why ?? Whatever it is, it should be sorted. Avondale are a club with a great tradition, particularly in hurling and have supplied the county with brilliant players in both codes over the years. The population of the "town" has been growing steadily so maybe it's time for them to bite the bullet and try entering juveniles teams from Rathdrum and district rather than continually supporting neighbouring clubs with players, which on the face of it, and judging by the strides being made by these clubs, seems to be more advantageous to them than Avondale.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 2360 - 03/10/2026 11:12:18    2695994

Link

Just watched that match on the stream, Gaels handled the pressure much better and never looked like losing.

Rocks were very flat.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 3055 - 04/10/2026 14:24:06    2696103

Link

Senior final ended 15 points to 12 and I'm sure carnew don't care a jot but I personally thought the standard was very poor and majority of scores were from placed balls. Don't know if it matters but scoring at latter stages of championship was very low (for hurling) - be interesting to see how Carnew fare out in intermediate Leinster as a gauge I guess, not sure who or where they are playing

Wonderingnow (Wicklow) - Posts: 30 - 05/10/2026 15:47:42    2696304

Link

Great to see Western Gaels get over the line in yesterday's intermediate hurling final. That'll make two teams from the west of the county competing in next years senior hurling championship which is a positive in terms of hurling development. Hopefully ARP can go one step further next year.

TheChampion (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 05/10/2026 23:33:25    2696341

Link

Replying To Wonderingnow:  "Senior final ended 15 points to 12 and I'm sure carnew don't care a jot but I personally thought the standard was very poor and majority of scores were from placed balls. Don't know if it matters but scoring at latter stages of championship was very low (for hurling) - be interesting to see how Carnew fare out in intermediate Leinster as a gauge I guess, not sure who or where they are playing"
I don't think the pitch lent itself to a high scoring game or a high standard of hurling. It was literally like a desert during the drought with all of the sand coming through with a rock hard surface. When the rain eventually came back, the drainage areas and certain parts of the field didn't recover. Too many bobbley parts which caused difficult executing first touches into the hand and affected the pace of the game. Aughrim gets a lot of traffic during the summer. More attention needs to be paid to getting grass back on the drainage areas, increasing grass growth and implementing an irrigation system to combat drier summers. The goals and ball nets also need to be replaced now with taller posts to help decision making.

TheChampion (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 05/10/2026 23:42:57    2696342

Link

Looks like the county board have stayed in house for the u20s football manager position. No disrespect but this management team has not got a great track record , another box ticked I suppose.

Albundy19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 157 - 06/10/2026 08:41:00    2696347

Link

Replying To Albundy19:  "Looks like the county board have stayed in house for the u20s football manager position. No disrespect but this management team has not got a great track record , another box ticked I suppose."
I hear the u20 football championship has been further shortened this year as well - at the behest of this "new" management team.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 2360 - 06/10/2026 11:28:00    2696376

Link

Replying To Albundy19:  "Looks like the county board have stayed in house for the u20s football manager position. No disrespect but this management team has not got a great track record , another box ticked I suppose."
Who are they - I haven't heard.

TopDrawer (Wicklow) - Posts: 77 - 06/10/2026 11:34:09    2696378

Link

Replying To TopDrawer:  "Who are they - I haven't heard."
Maybe last years u 17 management ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 2360 - 06/10/2026 13:32:25    2696402

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I hear the u20 football championship has been further shortened this year as well - at the behest of this "new" management team."
Is it u20 or u19

How is it passed at co board level? Do clubs not get a voice

greyhound (Wicklow) - Posts: 75 - 07/10/2026 08:49:31    2696480

Link

One of final at weekend going ahead and club object to ref. Bad idea

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 191 - 07/10/2026 16:52:41    2696534

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "One of final at weekend going ahead and club object to ref. Bad idea"
What's that about?

TheChampion (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 08/10/2026 13:11:26    2696602

Link

Replying To TheChampion:  "What's that about?"
I was wondering the same. What is it about? No word anywhere if any club being concerned about a referee.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 2360 - 08/10/2026 16:42:19    2696630

Link

Replying To TheChampion:  "What's that about?"
Son works with Glemelure chap. told him about it. Glemelure were tinking about not playin.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 191 - 08/10/2026 21:29:22    2696654

Link

Whats everyones thoughts about the weekend?

Junior A should be an interesting one but I imagine Ballinacor might just have a bit too much for Kilcoole and they'll bounce straight back up Intermediate.

For the Intermediate, very hard to look past Dunlavin in my opinion they have quality that Laragh don't and unless they massively under perform then they should get the job done.

As for the big one it has the potential to be a cracker. 2 very good footballing teams with a lot of inter county personnel, An Tochar seem to have banished some demons from past years and come through tight games they have let slip by before. I'm leaning towards them as would be great for the county to see such a long gap bridge and a fresh name on Miley but could go either way.

mickosarmy (Wicklow) - Posts: 15 - 09/10/2026 09:36:20    2696667

Link

Replying To mickosarmy:  "Whats everyones thoughts about the weekend?

Junior A should be an interesting one but I imagine Ballinacor might just have a bit too much for Kilcoole and they'll bounce straight back up Intermediate.

For the Intermediate, very hard to look past Dunlavin in my opinion they have quality that Laragh don't and unless they massively under perform then they should get the job done.

As for the big one it has the potential to be a cracker. 2 very good footballing teams with a lot of inter county personnel, An Tochar seem to have banished some demons from past years and come through tight games they have let slip by before. I'm leaning towards them as would be great for the county to see such a long gap bridge and a fresh name on Miley but could go either way."
Should be some entertaining matches this week as the football championship reaches its conclusion.

I'm not familiar with Junior A teams so I'll leave that one to the local experts.

Dunlavin vs Laragh

I'd give a hesitant vote of confidence to Dunlavin. Based upon my poor record with predictions, I may get it wrong. I think Dunlavin's forward scoring power might be the difference. Dunlavin's defence is porous and they've conceded a lot of goals in the championship which is something Laragh might exploit. Laragh overcame Barndarrig who I thought, along with Dunlavin would be the two teams likely to compete for Intermediate honours. After beating Barndarrig, Laragh will fancy their chances and will push Dunlavin all the way.

An Tóchar vs Blessington

This should be a game of football between two talented teams.

I think Blessington are favourites, purely on the basis that they've won two senior championships in 2021 and 2023 and have a wealth of experience at this stage in the competition. They've gradually improved as the championship has progress which is a sign they may be peaking at the right time. An Tóchar have been talked about as an up-and-coming team with lots of talent who have failed to produce results on the big occasions. They have as much talent, if not more than Blessington but the club haven't won since '95 and haven't contested a final for the last twenty-five years. I'm picking Blessington to win narrowly due to their experience. As a neutral, with no connection with either of the clubs, I'd like to see An Tóchar win as they play attractive football and it is so long since they won the Miley cup.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 2287 - 09/10/2026 13:58:44    2696693

Link