Wicklow Forum

Division 2.

(Oldest Posts First)

Is Division 2 sorted now lads/ladies or is the game with Donard/Glen vs Rathnew been refixed.

finishedplayin (Wicklow) - Posts: 125 - 09/06/2019 20:05:01    2192354

Link

For some reason there is a playoff between the Top 4 teams in division 2 but as far as I can see there is nothing to play for! Coolkenno have already won the league and are promoted along with 2nd placed Kilcoole.
I don't see what this play off between the top 4 is about when there is nothing at stake except the risk of players getting injured or suspended for championship. On top of that for some reason the county board/ fixtures man decided that this playoff needs to be ran off within a week meaning teams were expected to play 3 games in 6 days even though championship doesn't start for another 2-3 weeks? Looking online it looks like Valleymount gave a walkover in their playoff anyway.

hardybuck28 (Wicklow) - Posts: 119 - 18/06/2019 16:52:59    2197187

Link

Replying To hardybuck28:  "For some reason there is a playoff between the Top 4 teams in division 2 but as far as I can see there is nothing to play for! Coolkenno have already won the league and are promoted along with 2nd placed Kilcoole.
I don't see what this play off between the top 4 is about when there is nothing at stake except the risk of players getting injured or suspended for championship. On top of that for some reason the county board/ fixtures man decided that this playoff needs to be ran off within a week meaning teams were expected to play 3 games in 6 days even though championship doesn't start for another 2-3 weeks? Looking online it looks like Valleymount gave a walkover in their playoff anyway."
It's pathetic - county board insisting these 4 teams play this week and they all have lads who are needed for U20's on Saturday. They haven't put restrictions on these lads not to play for their club so chances are some might get injured and may not be able to play Saturday which means they will barely scrape a team come Saturday. These lads are doing their best and they beat Clare last Saturday in Aughrim 2-14 to 1-09 and hardly a mention anywhere. Even on the radio the other night one official couldn't say the time or the day right for their game in Wexford this weekend

Hoggie10 (Wicklow) - Posts: 4 - 18/06/2019 19:54:46    2197274

Link

Replying To Hoggie10:  "It's pathetic - county board insisting these 4 teams play this week and they all have lads who are needed for U20's on Saturday. They haven't put restrictions on these lads not to play for their club so chances are some might get injured and may not be able to play Saturday which means they will barely scrape a team come Saturday. These lads are doing their best and they beat Clare last Saturday in Aughrim 2-14 to 1-09 and hardly a mention anywhere. Even on the radio the other night one official couldn't say the time or the day right for their game in Wexford this weekend"
Another fiasco. Surely if these games have no real purpose, maybe the teams should play without their u20s or just don't play them at all. Seems as if we will always struggle to get things right. The tragedy is that without real change within the county it will ever be like. I was going to make a few more points, wrote them, erased them and decided I've said enough. Like I said a while ago - the clubs have the power to change everything. The question is, have they the inclination or the balls to do it ? Sadly, club loyalty, settling old scores and slights - perceived or real, conspiracy theories and sticking with the status quo seems to be what our delegates believe in. God help us.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 18/06/2019 21:33:33    2197332

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Another fiasco. Surely if these games have no real purpose, maybe the teams should play without their u20s or just don't play them at all. Seems as if we will always struggle to get things right. The tragedy is that without real change within the county it will ever be like. I was going to make a few more points, wrote them, erased them and decided I've said enough. Like I said a while ago - the clubs have the power to change everything. The question is, have they the inclination or the balls to do it ? Sadly, club loyalty, settling old scores and slights - perceived or real, conspiracy theories and sticking with the status quo seems to be what our delegates believe in. God help us."
Excellent point Freethinker. Just look around you in Aughrim at who does the voluntary work stewarding etc on matchdays and 90% of them are club delegates so can you ever see them rocking the boat? The cup game fixed for this week with the exception of the Dunne Cup were GUBU to use a phrase made famous some years back. What was the all powerful Fixtures Man trying to prove? I think he has made his point that he is indeed a breath of fresh air to the fixtures scene and doesn't need to go in to overkill mode. I just hope none of the clubs picked up any injuries. Fair play to a neighbouring club who neglected the meaningless fixture they were assigned.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 20 - 19/06/2019 23:26:17    2197798

Link