Wicklow Forum

Minor Footballers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Great performance last night. A well prepared team which shows that we can compete . When you have a professional management and committed players then anything is possible. This is what Wicklow teams need going forward if we hope to avoid the despairing losses and trouncings that county teams have suffered over countless years. There is a growing sense of confidence in this group who are very comfortable on the ball ,great at attacking the breaking ball and are commited to making runs to support the player with the ball to take the pass or cause a diversion to open up space.
Disappointing home suport. They have missed the best football played by a dedicated group of players. Hopefully there will be huge suport when the Dubs come to town. They are fully deserving of all the suport of all Wicklow Gaels."
Well said

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 407 - 16/05/2019 22:04:49    2184744

Link

I would love to go support the minors but I work and live outside the county and I can't make the 7:30 times on a mid week for a match. I'm not sure why these matches are played during the week as oppose to at the weekend; if this was the case, I believe there would be more supporters able to attend.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1040 - 17/05/2019 08:11:41    2184794

Link

I hear the quarter final is on a saturday which if true should allow more supporters to attend. I know that there are home venues in place for the present competition but I thought the system years ago of having the minor game on before a senior championship clash was great as it gave the young players the chance to play before big crowds and created a great atmosphere. It also got over the parental issue of having to take players out of school during midweek. I wonder why the old system was abolished as instead of showcasing a minor team before the senior game they are left to play before a handful of spectators midweek. The whole spectacle has been diluted. A great pity considering the quality and honesty of the football played by these outstanding young players .

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 29 - 17/05/2019 09:57:40    2184814

Link

Is quarter final in Aughrim or Parnell Park?.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 94 - 18/05/2019 17:58:49    2185261

Link

Replying To 61123:  "Is quarter final in Aughrim or Parnell Park?."
Aughrim

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 407 - 19/05/2019 16:49:33    2185512

Link

Hard luck to management and players as they lost out today. I felt sorry for such a dedicated group who battled on throughout the game despite being so far behind. They showed that they had real pride in the county jersey and hopefully we will have the opportunity of seeing many of them in future years.
The better team won but there was no disgrace in losing to a well drilled outfit who i feel must be favourites now for povincial honours.
A few points . Dublin used the diagonal ball with precision which we found difficult to handle and which all the top teams use to great effect. We tend to use the direct ball which is much easier to defend especially if the backline has speed height and physiciality. The referee was much harder on Wicklow in the first 15 minutes which cost us scores and gave them a cushion to build on. The penalty save would if converted have brought us to within 2 scores and gave the team a great lift. We lost momenum in the 15 minutes before half time when they tagged on a string of points and gave us a mountain to climb while our period of dominance in the second half didnt bring the return the efforts deserved..
Wicklow suporters are proud of the efforts by this great panel. Just like last year they have brought a freshness committment and pride that we all hope will continue into future years. Well done to Kevin his management team and all the players for giving us such great enjoyment over the last four matches. You might be disappointed and disheartened right now but the applause of the supporters today after the match showed their appreciation . This type of effort, committment and professional approach is the only way forward if Wicklow football is to progress.
Well done to Dublin on their win. Im sure we will follow their progres with interest to see how far we are away from the top flight.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 29 - 01/06/2019 22:48:20    2189697

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Hard luck to management and players as they lost out today. I felt sorry for such a dedicated group who battled on throughout the game despite being so far behind. They showed that they had real pride in the county jersey and hopefully we will have the opportunity of seeing many of them in future years.
The better team won but there was no disgrace in losing to a well drilled outfit who i feel must be favourites now for povincial honours.
A few points . Dublin used the diagonal ball with precision which we found difficult to handle and which all the top teams use to great effect. We tend to use the direct ball which is much easier to defend especially if the backline has speed height and physiciality. The referee was much harder on Wicklow in the first 15 minutes which cost us scores and gave them a cushion to build on. The penalty save would if converted have brought us to within 2 scores and gave the team a great lift. We lost momenum in the 15 minutes before half time when they tagged on a string of points and gave us a mountain to climb while our period of dominance in the second half didnt bring the return the efforts deserved..
Wicklow suporters are proud of the efforts by this great panel. Just like last year they have brought a freshness committment and pride that we all hope will continue into future years. Well done to Kevin his management team and all the players for giving us such great enjoyment over the last four matches. You might be disappointed and disheartened right now but the applause of the supporters today after the match showed their appreciation . This type of effort, committment and professional approach is the only way forward if Wicklow football is to progress.
Well done to Dublin on their win. Im sure we will follow their progres with interest to see how far we are away from the top flight."
Well said.
I have seen some great young lads this last few years. I am not as disapointed because we were compedative and thats a huge bonus. Maybe we need to put more support to the players but also to the managers. We need to spend on gps trackers like every other team has and any other assistance to the manager. Hopefully we will have good manager back again to lead the next lot in coming years. Well done.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 02/06/2019 19:54:36    2189934

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "Well said.
I have seen some great young lads this last few years. I am not as disapointed because we were compedative and thats a huge bonus. Maybe we need to put more support to the players but also to the managers. We need to spend on gps trackers like every other team has and any other assistance to the manager. Hopefully we will have good manager back again to lead the next lot in coming years. Well done."
I must also agree with Hurling nut about optimistic observers comments. Like all his ? posts they are very well thought and expressed and he is a most welcome addition to this forum. I also agree that at long last we seem to be getting to the stage where we are at least competitive at under age level in both codes. Hurling may be a little off the Kilkenny et al standards yet but progress is being made. I have no doubt that money will be an even bigger factor in preparing our squads over the coming years so again, newer, younger people with drive and energy for fundraising activities will be vital to the future success of these ventures. Congrats to Kevin and his (management) team and hopefully there are more like him ready to give us the benefit of their coaching knowledge and skills in the coming seasons as one group or two won't be able to deliver all the components that we need to get to the top tables.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 150 - 03/06/2019 14:49:21    2190192

Link

Well done to both minor players this year and last year for giving us some fantastic games of football. Well done to management set ups also .

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 94 - 04/06/2019 09:34:56    2190398

Link