Wicklow Forum

U20 Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Unfortunately last year minors playing at this level are unavailable to the Leaving Cert, there are 8 doing leaving cert. There are a few injuries and also there are a couple U20 who played senior.
Yes there are a number who cannot be bothered doing it but go onto play for their club the night before they play their first league game of the year.
You also have lads who claim they want to play and then fail to show up for training and these were taken off the panel and were not aware there was a friendly organised in Westmeath. Some don't tell their parents they are not on it anymore and then are those who are in college are away all week and others need part time work and you can't blame them as they need money.
The motivation for playing county is not paramount in this county - club is stronger. I do believe it involves schools, parents and clubs to develop this over the years but also the county board to do more incentives, more promotion, more mini-leagues for those who don't make the county underage but get a chance to wear the county jersey against each other.

Hoggie10 (Wicklow) - Posts: 4 - 10/06/2019 09:56:51    2192629

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Surprised no mention this here but we ended up giving a walkover to limerick today.
Couldnt get a team together to play them. Shocking absolute shocking state of affairs now in this county. Couldnt find 15 players under 20 to play for the county.

How much lower can we go."
And John Evan's calls himself a great organiser I'm sick of his bull****

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 407 - 10/06/2019 12:34:35    2192798

Link

The strange thing about gaelic football in Wicklow is how much effort we appear to put into doing everything we possibly can to beat ourselves. The biggest opponent that Wicklow football has had throughout the history of the GAA is itself. We are clueless and if I were a manager outside the county looking in; I wouldn't have anything to do with the county in any capacity. We offer up all sorts of excuses - leaving cert, weddings, funerals, bias against one club, favourites among other clubs .. the list of endless excuses goes on and on. The simple fact is that as a county when it comes to the 'rubber hitting the road'; we are found to be wanting. The records by and large of our county teams is awful and our club teams who once one feared in the Leinster club championship haven't been near a leinster final in the last 17/18 years, in fact, the county champions by and large lose in round 1 or 2 with the odd exception. We have a significant population to pick from compared with a lot of other counties but we simply can't tap into the resources at our disposal - will it change? I wouldn't hold my breath.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1043 - 11/06/2019 08:30:42    2193324

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "The strange thing about gaelic football in Wicklow is how much effort we appear to put into doing everything we possibly can to beat ourselves. The biggest opponent that Wicklow football has had throughout the history of the GAA is itself. We are clueless and if I were a manager outside the county looking in; I wouldn't have anything to do with the county in any capacity. We offer up all sorts of excuses - leaving cert, weddings, funerals, bias against one club, favourites among other clubs .. the list of endless excuses goes on and on. The simple fact is that as a county when it comes to the 'rubber hitting the road'; we are found to be wanting. The records by and large of our county teams is awful and our club teams who once one feared in the Leinster club championship haven't been near a leinster final in the last 17/18 years, in fact, the county champions by and large lose in round 1 or 2 with the odd exception. We have a significant population to pick from compared with a lot of other counties but we simply can't tap into the resources at our disposal - will it change? I wouldn't hold my breath."
You are 100 % correct in everything you said. We are complete shambles our clubs send yes men to co board meetings who put up with the same rubbish year after year and nothing will ever change unless there's a complete clean out. But as you say I wouldn't hold my breath

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 407 - 11/06/2019 11:06:46    2193397

Link

Clear out wont happen. A complete closed shop with posotions sorted long before vote. Most clubs just glad to have someone to go to the meetings where no 1 rocks the boat

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 12/06/2019 01:11:36    2193774

Link

Replying To Hoggie10:  "Unfortunately last year minors playing at this level are unavailable to the Leaving Cert, there are 8 doing leaving cert. There are a few injuries and also there are a couple U20 who played senior.
Yes there are a number who cannot be bothered doing it but go onto play for their club the night before they play their first league game of the year.
You also have lads who claim they want to play and then fail to show up for training and these were taken off the panel and were not aware there was a friendly organised in Westmeath. Some don't tell their parents they are not on it anymore and then are those who are in college are away all week and others need part time work and you can't blame them as they need money.
The motivation for playing county is not paramount in this county - club is stronger. I do believe it involves schools, parents and clubs to develop this over the years but also the county board to do more incentives, more promotion, more mini-leagues for those who don't make the county underage but get a chance to wear the county jersey against each other."
As I said
"Players ate not looked after at this level. They dont get any travelling expences, feck all gear and brouth together late in the day. So are you surprised that they couldnt be arsed when they qlready lost a few games and they know theres noting to play for."
This cant be a mystery as why players wont play. If a young fella is from limerick and is in college in cork he will get looked after and travel home for training and matches. Why would any young lad from wicklow not do it?
I said this to a county official and he laughed and said players shouldent be in it for travel expenses and gear. I dont think thats the players reasons at all but it should be there no question. If players feel they are not wanted tjey wont bother

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 12/06/2019 01:25:41    2193775

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "As I said
"Players ate not looked after at this level. They dont get any travelling expences, feck all gear and brouth together late in the day. So are you surprised that they couldnt be arsed when they qlready lost a few games and they know theres noting to play for."
This cant be a mystery as why players wont play. If a young fella is from limerick and is in college in cork he will get looked after and travel home for training and matches. Why would any young lad from wicklow not do it?
I said this to a county official and he laughed and said players shouldent be in it for travel expenses and gear. I dont think thats the players reasons at all but it should be there no question. If players feel they are not wanted tjey wont bother"
Despite all that has been said I want to wish the u20 team the best of luck tomorrow. There are more than a few decent footballers in that squad and Wexford won't be the toughest team in Leinster. Having said that every game has to be won. No matter how we try to will them on, the players have to go out and do it. There is in every Wicklow man's ( and woman's ) heart an eternal optimism - otherwise why would we keep going for over 130 yrs. Maybe tomorrow might be the day that the stone turns. Best of luck to the u17 hurlers too.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 21/06/2019 22:12:07    2198436

Link

Well that's it for another year. Another poor return for the players efforts in all grades. Strong squad today but Wexford were totally better all over the field and looked well prepared. Its bad when some Wicklow players didn't know each other.
One of the high ranking officers of the county board informed those standing close to him today that they would not be seeing Evans anymore. Sounds like John is about to get his walking papers. What have they got up their sleeve?

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 20 - 22/06/2019 22:45:54    2198761

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "Well that's it for another year. Another poor return for the players efforts in all grades. Strong squad today but Wexford were totally better all over the field and looked well prepared. Its bad when some Wicklow players didn't know each other.
One of the high ranking officers of the county board informed those standing close to him today that they would not be seeing Evans anymore. Sounds like John is about to get his walking papers. What have they got up their sleeve?"
Of course they didn't know each other - it was the first time they all played together as a full squad! You want to be in hibernation not to know what happens next. When the U20's couldn't get friendlies in Aughrim and the minors could train there, enough said

Hoggie10 (Wicklow) - Posts: 4 - 22/06/2019 23:31:10    2198775

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "Well that's it for another year. Another poor return for the players efforts in all grades. Strong squad today but Wexford were totally better all over the field and looked well prepared. Its bad when some Wicklow players didn't know each other.
One of the high ranking officers of the county board informed those standing close to him today that they would not be seeing Evans anymore. Sounds like John is about to get his walking papers. What have they got up their sleeve?"
I like your description of that official, Heavyheart. But, it's typical , isn't it ? Handy to have a scapegoat when nothing changes on the playing fields. Some good men have come and gone with no obvious improvement. Things seemed to improve under Micko to a degree but in my opinion our underage teams disimproved under his reign. Our erstwhile Co Board can shake their heads, wring their hands and go back to doing what they do best and another good man goes away with his reputation hardly enhanced. Those who railed against his appointment - and that of the other "outsiders" - need not worry. It would take a brave or foolhardy "outsider" to come in here again to what must be regarded amongst the greater GAA fraternity as the equivelant of the Dept of Health. Cynics would say that some are in it for the money. To me that is a juvenile comment. To me, all those guys were genuine GAA people who thought they could be the ones to perform the miracle of improving Wicklow football but soon found how serious the problems and the various forces at play within the county. It will be very interesting to see what happens next. As regards their "plan" ?? Self preservation, I would venture b

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 23/06/2019 00:17:51    2198788

Link

in wicklow we are living in cloud cuckoo land . some peolpe on this forum dont know much about wicklow . the manager in wicklow in my view is doing his very best with the resources he has . i am hoping the manager will get a few good minors with him next year or the following year. Wicklow i think if they say to themselves they will be promoted from division 4 it could happen we won 3 matches this year . we have to play carlow sligo antrim waterford limerick london wexford . if wicklow believe in what they can do they might get promoted next year .

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 152 - 23/06/2019 17:37:01    2199110

Link

Replying To lor12:  "in wicklow we are living in cloud cuckoo land . some peolpe on this forum dont know much about wicklow . the manager in wicklow in my view is doing his very best with the resources he has . i am hoping the manager will get a few good minors with him next year or the following year. Wicklow i think if they say to themselves they will be promoted from division 4 it could happen we won 3 matches this year . we have to play carlow sligo antrim waterford limerick london wexford . if wicklow believe in what they can do they might get promoted next year ."
I will agree with the above as regards Management overall with adding that I would like to see a more professional approach to the u20 hurling and football setups. Give them as much support, resources and preparation as the u17s. But, clubs as well as players also will have to play their part in this A culture will have to be fostered within clubs where every player from juvenile up will consider it a privelage to represent their county at any level, not an embarrassment. Also, in my opinion, players should be encouraged to represent their club on county teams regardless who their manager is. To think that any player in Wicklow would be big headed enough to imagine they know more about football than any of our recent managers is ridiculous. There was a time when if a player declined to make himself available for selection on a county team, he was suspended from club duties for a period. To those who have been sniping at John Evans from the start I would remind them that the Roscommon footballers were 100% behind him but internal politics got him moved on there too. Look where those Roscommon players are now.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 24/06/2019 08:27:49    2199597

Link

I agree fully with the comments from other posters but unfortunately these points are made annually but nothing ever changes. I think as a county we have gone past the point of no return, we have lost a huge portion of the playing population who don't want to know about having anything to do with the county; why dedicate so much of your life to something and be treat poorly by the powers that be? Equally supporters have largely given up the ghost and have stopped turning up. It isn't a change of manager wicklow require it is a change of culture and attitude. Also the club need to look at them as their record in the leinster championship is equally as abysmal as our overall intercounty record at all levels in the last 15 years.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1043 - 24/06/2019 10:46:05    2199725

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "I agree fully with the comments from other posters but unfortunately these points are made annually but nothing ever changes. I think as a county we have gone past the point of no return, we have lost a huge portion of the playing population who don't want to know about having anything to do with the county; why dedicate so much of your life to something and be treat poorly by the powers that be? Equally supporters have largely given up the ghost and have stopped turning up. It isn't a change of manager wicklow require it is a change of culture and attitude. Also the club need to look at them as their record in the leinster championship is equally as abysmal as our overall intercounty record at all levels in the last 15 years."
Great points. Aughrim is deserted on matchdays now unlike years ago. Be it club or county the love for GAA has died a death in this county since about 2010. We can blame whoever we want but for something to improve in Wicklow it has to start at the top. The discussion on Dublin yesterday and their dominance is evidence of that. Their blueprint started at the top with clever and talented people at the wheel while all we ever seem to get are ordinary Joes with chips on their shoulders. Surely somewhere in Wicklow there are genuine people who could step up and clear away the deadwood that has been drifting around on management for the past 30-40 years. Its actually embarrassing looking at some of them going around. Did you ever see John Costello at a game in wellies and a woolly hat? We are outsiders looking in now in almost every aspect of the association.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 20 - 24/06/2019 17:01:34    2200067

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I will agree with the above as regards Management overall with adding that I would like to see a more professional approach to the u20 hurling and football setups. Give them as much support, resources and preparation as the u17s. But, clubs as well as players also will have to play their part in this A culture will have to be fostered within clubs where every player from juvenile up will consider it a privelage to represent their county at any level, not an embarrassment. Also, in my opinion, players should be encouraged to represent their club on county teams regardless who their manager is. To think that any player in Wicklow would be big headed enough to imagine they know more about football than any of our recent managers is ridiculous. There was a time when if a player declined to make himself available for selection on a county team, he was suspended from club duties for a period. To those who have been sniping at John Evans from the start I would remind them that the Roscommon footballers were 100% behind him but internal politics got him moved on there too. Look where those Roscommon players are now."
Totally agree with you. Players who want to play for the county should be released and the club should get a penalty or fine if they don't release them or make them play a club match before county. John Evans is doing great work with U20's as a few of them made the transition to Senior very well and adapted easily. I do believe, like Roscommon and Tipperary, we'll see some progress in the next few years and a few matches will be won in div 4. New leadership is needed on county board to make the changes the county so needs.

Hoggie10 (Wicklow) - Posts: 4 - 25/06/2019 11:06:17    2200501

Link

All good points but i can not see a rule that will fine clubs or players for not going to county teams. Because the players will be left out for money to travel like every other year they would probably go to court if the county punishes them for not going. You need to make it that the players and management get the support they need like other countys have. Proper gear proper expenses proper back up and that is for hurling and football . Then you can whinge when players wont turn up to a half arsed sham that is supposed to be intercounty training and matches. Cop on and dont blame the players and their clubs. Players famalies are struggling to put them to collage and it is not like theres a college in wicklow so travel will have to be paid properly from the college. I eas on a county 21 panel and no expenses were paid and the only gear we got was a box of cheap teshirts was trown into the dressing room after the match. Some lads grabbed a few some lads got nothing. The county chairman laught when i complained.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 25/06/2019 23:16:38    2200994

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "All good points but i can not see a rule that will fine clubs or players for not going to county teams. Because the players will be left out for money to travel like every other year they would probably go to court if the county punishes them for not going. You need to make it that the players and management get the support they need like other countys have. Proper gear proper expenses proper back up and that is for hurling and football . Then you can whinge when players wont turn up to a half arsed sham that is supposed to be intercounty training and matches. Cop on and dont blame the players and their clubs. Players famalies are struggling to put them to collage and it is not like theres a college in wicklow so travel will have to be paid properly from the college. I eas on a county 21 panel and no expenses were paid and the only gear we got was a box of cheap teshirts was trown into the dressing room after the match. Some lads grabbed a few some lads got nothing. The county chairman laught when i complained."
It's good to hear from someone who has personal experience of county teams Hurlingnut and I greatly respect your opinions as you seem to be genuinely sickened at what you see going on. But I think you should keep your shirt on with how you go about making your comments. Words like "cop on" don't contribute much to a debate. We are all looking for a way forward here. You should read the other posts again because you seem to be missing the points we are trying to make. Firstly, the county board is voted in year in year out by the CLUBS. Full stop. The clubs have in the main been giving tacit support to county boards for generations by burying their heads in the sand by the quality of delegate they send to the board and the quality of candidate they propose or support for the officer board. It is well known that over the years progressive people have been shafted by inter club rivalries, organised coups and other dark practices. This is undeniable. As long as that culture is allowed to prevail by the CLUBS nothing will change and players like you will continue to be treated with, at best disrespect if not disdain. If the clubs become more forward looking in their outlook, foster a culture of support for the overall development of our games within the county and take their responsibility towards the makeup of the county board seriously, then everything will improve. It must be said that many of the clubs have been making great strides in this direction but every club has to buy into it. In the meantime blaming county boards and managers, while it might make us feel better, won't get us anywhere.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 26/06/2019 08:52:52    2201057

Link

Another early exit - apart from lat years minors - a decade of no decent result in underage thus leaving us in our current position- 30th in the country

curnew (Wicklow) - Posts: 443 - 27/06/2019 15:04:28    2201738

Link

It is always easy to blame the county board or the manager or the referee and on any given day any of these or other things may merit criticism but in the case of wicklow and 130 years of abject failure, there has to be more to it than just one thing. We have no tradition of winning so we have to create a tradition of being competitive first; this is achievable but in order to do it, there must be changes. Changes at club level where we were once strong. Changes at county board level where a manager had to organise to sell the naming rights to aughrim to generate funds; something the county board should have done a number of years ago. But I think the biggest change has to be in attitude, no one wants to operate in a toxic environment where stagnation and the road to nowhere is your lot. Unfortunately we are going nowhere and the status quo is being maintained but who is going to ignite this badly needed change?

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1043 - 28/06/2019 14:53:54    2202106

Link