Westmeath Forum

County Convention

(Oldest Posts First)

Annebrook House this Sunday 2pm
No major changes proposed at the top table except for Coaching Officer with Michael McHugh stepping down.
Des Doolin, Martin Lynn and Adrian Moran are the nominees.
Don't know what motions are being put forward ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 06/12/2016 13:13:53    1938608

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Annebrook House this Sunday 2pm
No major changes proposed at the top table except for Coaching Officer with Michael McHugh stepping down.
Des Doolin, Martin Lynn and Adrian Moran are the nominees.
Don't know what motions are being put forward ?"
The Coaching Officer is a very important role and a role we haven't taken serious for a long time. The post should be responsible for the design and implementation of a coaching plan and he is responsible for how that plan is adhered to by the Development officers and the county coaches. Looking at the names firstly if Adrian Moran gets the role he must step down from under 21 hurling job because i presume he is either not allowed or is not appropriate to do both as his job will be to coordinate the coaches and you can't coordinate himself. The other 2 candidates have no Coaching experience worth talking about and I can't see them able to design a 5 year plan and see it adhered too. so my view is this role now will just be a named role again and nothing will be done to help the coaching in our County. We have to look at who is coaching and monitoring the coaches.

Djkray (Dublin) - Posts: 152 - 08/12/2016 01:01:27    1938967

Link

Replying To Djkray:  "The Coaching Officer is a very important role and a role we haven't taken serious for a long time. The post should be responsible for the design and implementation of a coaching plan and he is responsible for how that plan is adhered to by the Development officers and the county coaches. Looking at the names firstly if Adrian Moran gets the role he must step down from under 21 hurling job because i presume he is either not allowed or is not appropriate to do both as his job will be to coordinate the coaches and you can't coordinate himself. The other 2 candidates have no Coaching experience worth talking about and I can't see them able to design a 5 year plan and see it adhered too. so my view is this role now will just be a named role again and nothing will be done to help the coaching in our County. We have to look at who is coaching and monitoring the coaches."
Djkray - Des Doolin has been coaching teams for as long as i can remember, at all levels.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 482 - 08/12/2016 13:46:17    1939060

Link

You cannot be a full time employee and a county team coach
Nothing to stop a volunteer officer from being a team coach or manager
Des has been involved with lots of teams over the years
There is a lot of work to be done in the county.
A lot of clubs unhappy with the arrangements for schools coaching.
There is no overall plan for progression of a player in the county from age 12 up to senior.
Best of luck to whoever gets it

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1654 - 08/12/2016 17:34:06    1939109

Link

What I don't understand is where the Coaching Officer fits in with the others:
County Games Manager: Noel Delaney
County Games Development Administrators: James Heffernan, Eddie Bouabbse, Garry Sammon
(All according to Leinster GAA website - nothing on our own)
Some of these lads are doing trojan work but seem to be totally under resourced but that's a topic on its own.
I hear there is a report being circulated suggested more full time coaches so let's see.
Some jockying for positions next year when the entire top table will be vacated !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 08/12/2016 20:30:36    1939142

Link

Two things are badly needed

1 - full time administrator to organise running of competitions, chasing bad debts owed by clubs, generating more revenue, promotion of competitions, updating of media in conjunction with pro etc

2 our coaching staff should be based in Westmeath answerable to the clubs and elected coaching officer. I don't think there is any plan drawn up for running of coaching at ANY level within the county. And we wonder why the county or schools don't perform better

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1654 - 20/12/2016 15:29:31    1941191

Link

True @valley , there is no real long-term plan or structure in our county, compared to our neighbours Roscommon for example..

I would argue that Westmeath schools aren't performing that poorly in recent years though, with the Marist reaching the final and semi finals over the past number of years and it looks like MCS are in with a right chance of winning the Leinster Senior Football this year.

sharpshooter23 (Westmeath) - Posts: 187 - 20/12/2016 16:54:41    1941218

Link

Replying To sharpshooter23:  "True @valley , there is no real long-term plan or structure in our county, compared to our neighbours Roscommon for example..

I would argue that Westmeath schools aren't performing that poorly in recent years though, with the Marist reaching the final and semi finals over the past number of years and it looks like MCS are in with a right chance of winning the Leinster Senior Football this year."
why not compare to Kildare or Longford?
what have they been doing in hurling for 10 years?

a strong schools scene is indicative of a good underage scene in the clubs.
the Marist teams have been backboned by a lot of Roscommon players from Clann na nGael and Brigids.

there are some big schools in the county where there seems to be no real drive to develop GAA games.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1654 - 20/12/2016 23:38:02    1941334

Link

5 Westmeath schools compete in Leinster A at senior level, Moate, ACC, marist and the bridge. With marist, moate and mullingar all reaching Q/F at least this year.Compare that with 1 from Meath, 3/4 Dublin, 3 from Kildare. So I think the schools are competing well.
However lack of coaching development is a problem. I know a few people who have been interested in completing coaching courses that simply aren't available and have had to look outside the county to do them!

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 84 - 21/12/2016 14:15:06    1941426

Link

Replying To Wmeath2:  "5 Westmeath schools compete in Leinster A at senior level, Moate, ACC, marist and the bridge. With marist, moate and mullingar all reaching Q/F at least this year.Compare that with 1 from Meath, 3/4 Dublin, 3 from Kildare. So I think the schools are competing well.
However lack of coaching development is a problem. I know a few people who have been interested in completing coaching courses that simply aren't available and have had to look outside the county to do them!"
The schools from Westmeath compete, fair enough, the school in Meath often wins it out.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1654 - 21/12/2016 21:49:25    1941527

Link

Last year's Minor manager stepped down as the coaching wasn't done at an earlier age and is now going back to try and sort that out at 13 and 14 as far as an article written recently in the Topic. I think if someone of that quality sees the coaching at an earlier age a problem then we need to look at it instead of just saying aw that's only one person's opinion. At convention there was great acclaim for what the minor management did this year and a member of that management is staying on to keep that going as it was a good last year structure and coaching wise now we need to make sure the talent goes into that system.
I think we should have started John Kane back at younger age too so if we had him and Leahy and Budda maybe and Damien Gavin and Tom Stewart Trayner and any other up and coming knowledgeable trainers should have to go through the 14s and work up.
I would go as far as to say anyone wishing to take our minor or under 21 teams should do their time developing our under 14s up.
It comes down to not having a plan and not having the right people behind the plan and not all people supporting the plan and if we had the right people in place with the right plan and everyone backed it instead of always knocking I think the results would just start to happen big style.
Anyway it's too much to ask it seems to be all talk and it remains to be seen does Leahy take a role at a younger age I cant actually see it as I think he will be involved at adult level but what he said in the paper needs to happen if not him someone else it doesn't matter who it is as long as he is capable and has a plan to get us to the level of coaching needed. We will wait and see does everyone keep clapping each other on the back and nothing changes when it's now obvious we are falling further and further back behind other countys.
Merry Christmas everyone looking forward to a good foootball Year. Up Westmeath

Djkray (Dublin) - Posts: 152 - 22/12/2016 19:29:15    1941766

Link

Replying To Djkray:  "Last year's Minor manager stepped down as the coaching wasn't done at an earlier age and is now going back to try and sort that out at 13 and 14 as far as an article written recently in the Topic. I think if someone of that quality sees the coaching at an earlier age a problem then we need to look at it instead of just saying aw that's only one person's opinion. At convention there was great acclaim for what the minor management did this year and a member of that management is staying on to keep that going as it was a good last year structure and coaching wise now we need to make sure the talent goes into that system.
I think we should have started John Kane back at younger age too so if we had him and Leahy and Budda maybe and Damien Gavin and Tom Stewart Trayner and any other up and coming knowledgeable trainers should have to go through the 14s and work up.
I would go as far as to say anyone wishing to take our minor or under 21 teams should do their time developing our under 14s up.
It comes down to not having a plan and not having the right people behind the plan and not all people supporting the plan and if we had the right people in place with the right plan and everyone backed it instead of always knocking I think the results would just start to happen big style.
Anyway it's too much to ask it seems to be all talk and it remains to be seen does Leahy take a role at a younger age I cant actually see it as I think he will be involved at adult level but what he said in the paper needs to happen if not him someone else it doesn't matter who it is as long as he is capable and has a plan to get us to the level of coaching needed. We will wait and see does everyone keep clapping each other on the back and nothing changes when it's now obvious we are falling further and further back behind other countys.
Merry Christmas everyone looking forward to a good foootball Year. Up Westmeath"
Fully agreed.
Other daft stuff goes on too which holds back the young players.
This year you had a situation where a football development panel got tops and the hurling panel didn't.

The likes of that has been going on for years and until the proper procedures and policies are put in place from U8 up to minor then nothing will ever change.
Some young lads don't want to go near the county hurling squads.
One or two county managers doing good work at U14 or minor is like trying to put plaster onto a wall with very poor foundations.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1654 - 22/12/2016 21:19:17    1941787

Link

Replying To Djkray:  "Last year's Minor manager stepped down as the coaching wasn't done at an earlier age and is now going back to try and sort that out at 13 and 14 as far as an article written recently in the Topic. I think if someone of that quality sees the coaching at an earlier age a problem then we need to look at it instead of just saying aw that's only one person's opinion. At convention there was great acclaim for what the minor management did this year and a member of that management is staying on to keep that going as it was a good last year structure and coaching wise now we need to make sure the talent goes into that system.
Merry Christmas everyone looking forward to a good foootball Year. Up Westmeath"
Could not agree more we need more than one or 2 quality managers/trainers doing great work we need a plan and we need strong teams at age 13 aged 14 aged 15 etc etc not just a good minor manager fixing the situation there and then going back to sort another age out but without an actually blueprint to work off as he will just been seen as a maverick and nothing will be achieved.
It's time to take the finger out get it organised and I can't manage or train so I can't lecture but surely we have 15 good managers/coaches/trainers available to get together and change things. We seem to have people politically placed in jobs of coaching and that will never work. Let's get the best and let's get them in now. By the way JK and Fergal Wilson should both have had to do an underage team before taking a 21s team. Just because you're an outstanding player doesn't make you a top manager. JK has actually a very poor managerial record. If it was a player from 2004 that county board wanted then there is only one manager who has proved anything and that's Alan Mangen. Now I don't know if he was asked but if he wasn't I think that aint right either. Having said that best of luck to everyone who takes on a role with Westmeath because you have to love your county to do it as the setup is so bad and your paddling upstream. Why Leahy is going back to younger age is noble but in my opinion madness I think he will be met with opposition from day one with people saying who does he think he is sure we are just fine here and we are doing a great job. Hope I am wrong because it's exactly what we need and we need more people doing the same thing.

Paulknows (Westmeath) - Posts: 114 - 23/12/2016 00:57:57    1941828

Link

Yes, we do need to get all these past players involved with county squads as there seems to be quite a few who have served their time with their club's underage teams. Another issue with the county squads is that it is parents of players that are involved which I think is crazy. It's bad enough at clubs where there probably isn't an alternative but at county level it's mad. Either you will penalise your own lad too harshly or be biased in his favour, either way how can you be objective. Of course you are wide open for criticism. Maybe a few selectors / helpers but the manager cannot be a parent of a player involved in my opinion.
The crack with gear is a joke. Obviously the finances need to be managed but the budget needs to be appropriate. One top per player is enough up until minor maybe. You hear old stories about squads not getting funds to pay for buses to tournaments and being brought to chippers after games.
Hopefully not happening now but the culture needs to change which I think is happening slowly. The boys U14 county footballers this year were well looked after - nothing mad. A big squad which makes sense at that age, Martin Lynn creating a good vibe, everyone plays and feels part of it.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 621 - 23/12/2016 09:42:34    1941843

Link