Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Ah stop! And Derek missed a game for a stag?! Just doesn't happen in the big counties... mad stuff"
Devine only came back into the panel at Christmas,I'd say he probably had holiday booked before.As for this not happening in top counties ,it does but it's not as decisive as their panels are bigger.Id say the mad stuff is the level of dedication of these lads who have upped their game hugely.Lets hope we can win today and drive it on.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 08/03/2020 07:51:53    2272752

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "Ah stop! And Derek missed a game for a stag?! Just doesn't happen in the big counties... mad stuff"
Players have to live their lives too.

Best of luck to the lads today.
100% effort will get them the result

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1708 - 08/03/2020 12:02:51    2272789

Link

Congratulations on a good win today.. One of westmeaths goals achieved for the year now second goal has to be the joe McDonagh to win it outright. Playing in the harder division paid off in the end as the saying goes what does not kill you makes you stronger. Next years goal will be trying to take a scalp or two now in top division and it can be done.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 466 - 08/03/2020 16:09:00    2272834

Link

Great win for the town today, we are staying up!

WIST (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 08/03/2020 16:27:57    2272840

Link

Great win today and really important for the development of hurling in the county, another year against the elite. I thought we were convincing winners today and were more than 6 points better than Carlow. I thought the referee was poor for us and the penalty they got wasn't a penalty. Anyways, our goal is achieved and you can see by that performance there today we have improved playing Division 1A hurling. Hopefully now we can push on and have a successful Joe Mcdonagh campaign. Killian Doyle is top class

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 14 - 08/03/2020 17:54:03    2272857

Link

Definitely worth the win today, the main difference between the teams was pure work rate, Westmeath looked the better conditioned team. That being said if Carlow had a free taker it could have been tight at the end. Really poor fare for division 1 hurling however, easy to see why both teams were in the playoff. Poor first touch and basic mistakes throughout by both sides, confounded by the manner of Carlows second goal. Referee didn't help the flow with a lot of soft frees and cards in what was not a mean spirited game.
Must be happy to retain divisional status, Westmeath full back line in particular deserve credit for being well on top of their men today. I think only 3 points from play again today though... this needs to be addressed going forward

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 26 - 08/03/2020 17:55:01    2272858

Link

Well done to our friends in Westmeath. We've had our 2 years and you lads deserve to stay up.

We will regroup, get a few injuries sorted along with the free taking and see you in the summer.

Thought both full backs today were brilliant.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1054 - 08/03/2020 18:37:49    2272863

Link

Well done to all. Now we are there again does anyone know what way divisions 1 works for next year will we stay where we are and div 2 winners replace Carlow or is the whole thing reshuffled ?

puglerdaly (Westmeath) - Posts: 58 - 08/03/2020 19:15:56    2272873

Link

Replying To puglerdaly:  "Well done to all. Now we are there again does anyone know what way divisions 1 works for next year will we stay where we are and div 2 winners replace Carlow or is the whole thing reshuffled ?"
I think you are still in with us next year with fixtures reversed.

Congratulations and see you next year if not sooner

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 607 - 08/03/2020 19:43:01    2272878

Link

Replying To WIST:  "Great win for the town today, we are staying up!"
That was some victory over Carlow. It truly proved that our superior scoring different in the league, was superior. -59 vs. -70, we were 11 points a better team and it showed today. Now bring on July, when we will be climbing those lofty steps of the Hogan and walking away with the trophy. They'll fear none of the teams in Joe McDonagh as we are the superior league team. The superior league team should do well in the Joe McDonagh league but may struggle in the Liam MacCarthy championship as it is not a league format when we enter that in July after the 2nd league this year.

RadioactiveTan (UK) - Posts: 12 - 08/03/2020 21:10:42    2272905

Link

Great to win and get a chance at further improvement from playing top teams next year! However, we were very poor today in my opinion. Outside of frees scores were difficult to come by and basic handling and link up play was poor. Carlow were just atrocious.
Hopefully we can bring the intensity of Division 1 hurling to the Joe McD and get some silverware

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 241 - 08/03/2020 21:32:48    2272912

Link

Replying To carlovia:  "Well done to our friends in Westmeath. We've had our 2 years and you lads deserve to stay up.

We will regroup, get a few injuries sorted along with the free taking and see you in the summer.

Thought both full backs today were brilliant."
Thanks we are both trying very hard with small numbers.It wasn't pretty but from a Westmeath point of view staying in division 1 is huge and next year we will have Limerick,Tipp and Galway in Mullingar.I thought our full back line was immense and Aonghus Clarke despite the crazy goal is one of the best hurlers in Ireland.The forwards have to improve our team play.Last week in Limerick without Kilian Doyle we actually did better.This week we were very dependant on the Raharney man.Onwards and upwards though the likes of Jack Galvin and Josh Coll can only improve and with Niall O Brien back next year we have the makings of a proper division 1 team.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 09/03/2020 07:24:58    2272940

Link

Superb performance. Got the job done and could and should have won by more. Very encouraging for the Joe Mc Donagh Cup campaign upcoming...

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 60 - 09/03/2020 08:13:35    2272945

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "I think you are still in with us next year with fixtures reversed.

Congratulations and see you next year if not sooner"
Thanks for the well wishes Breezy. Rough enough so again for Westmeath next year. I think it is generally accepted that Laois and Dublin would be most likely to fall to Westmeath although we very nearly caught Cork this year. Onward to the McDonagh!

35OLT (USA) - Posts: 27 - 09/03/2020 14:28:44    2273037

Link

Huge result for hurling in the county. Would love to see a proper long term plan put in place which could see us win a Leinster Hurling Championship within 15 years.

Town (Westmeath) - Posts: 1 - 09/03/2020 23:29:42    2273171

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Thanks we are both trying very hard with small numbers.It wasn't pretty but from a Westmeath point of view staying in division 1 is huge and next year we will have Limerick,Tipp and Galway in Mullingar.I thought our full back line was immense and Aonghus Clarke despite the crazy goal is one of the best hurlers in Ireland.The forwards have to improve our team play.Last week in Limerick without Kilian Doyle we actually did better.This week we were very dependant on the Raharney man.Onwards and upwards though the likes of Jack Galvin and Josh Coll can only improve and with Niall O Brien back next year we have the makings of a proper division 1 team."
will it definitley be the same groups again...i didnt know that, i was hoping that they might be mixed up again and that perhaps a laois or dublin might be in the same group and have a great chance of beating them. if its the same it will be extremely hard to take a scalp. Group 1 is far more stronger than the other group with the teams in it. At the moment on current form the only real standout team in the other is Wexford. Tipp and Limerick are all ireland contenders while Galway can be the best in the country when they play, i cant really say the same for the likes of Kilkenny, Clare or Dublin at the minute. but in general its great to be in Division 1 for another year, even the great team of the 80s didnt survive their year in division 1 when they were in it, the grouping system was different that time i suppose.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 466 - 10/03/2020 16:44:55    2273267

Link

Replying To preddan:  "will it definitley be the same groups again...i didnt know that, i was hoping that they might be mixed up again and that perhaps a laois or dublin might be in the same group and have a great chance of beating them. if its the same it will be extremely hard to take a scalp. Group 1 is far more stronger than the other group with the teams in it. At the moment on current form the only real standout team in the other is Wexford. Tipp and Limerick are all ireland contenders while Galway can be the best in the country when they play, i cant really say the same for the likes of Kilkenny, Clare or Dublin at the minute. but in general its great to be in Division 1 for another year, even the great team of the 80s didnt survive their year in division 1 when they were in it, the grouping system was different that time i suppose."
I agree but we have to look on the bright side Tipp, Limerick and Galway at home Cork and Waterford away.If we win Mcdonagh Leinster wouldn't hold many fears after that.Experience like that is invaluable.We have some top class hurlers.If we get our boys stronger and fitter again let's dream

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 736 - 10/03/2020 23:27:35    2273321

Link

To all fellow GAA fans and posters all the best to you and hope that the situation improves for all over the next few months. Keep yourselves safe.

35OLT (USA) - Posts: 27 - 16/03/2020 00:39:13    2273947

Link