Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I cant agree with any of the comments about the Gaels, yes young Williams is an exceptional talent but the only talent they seem to have also, Their half forward line the other evening was one of the worst lines I have seen in a Gaels team in recent years.
In saying that, their defense and midfield are effective, Tommy Doyle being exceptional again as he is so many times but him and Shane Williams have no hope of winning a championship on their own. It will be a repeat of last years final as far as I can see.
In respect to the comment about lads withdrawing from panels due to babies on route, family should always come first.
I still cant see anyone toppling castletown however as they are the only 1 of the potential top 3 teams to have a full outfit to pick from.

James73 (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 27/07/2020 15:50:59    2285473

Link

Replying To wd45:  "LLG have been knocking on the door in recent years but have always been short a scoring forward up front. Now with young Williams looking the real deal and with Daly to come back as well they now have the fire power."
Knocking on the door?? They must be at the wrong address so.

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 243 - 27/07/2020 15:55:42    2285474

Link

Replying To James73:  "I cant agree with any of the comments about the Gaels, yes young Williams is an exceptional talent but the only talent they seem to have also, Their half forward line the other evening was one of the worst lines I have seen in a Gaels team in recent years.
In saying that, their defense and midfield are effective, Tommy Doyle being exceptional again as he is so many times but him and Shane Williams have no hope of winning a championship on their own. It will be a repeat of last years final as far as I can see.
In respect to the comment about lads withdrawing from panels due to babies on route, family should always come first.
I still cant see anyone toppling castletown however as they are the only 1 of the potential top 3 teams to have a full outfit to pick from."
To be fair, Eoin Daly is also a talented young forward. He should aid Williams quiet abit in the scoring department when he's back for them. They need McNicholas also on form however to have a chance of causing an upset in terms of winning the championship but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them make the final ahead of Clonkill and Raharney. People shouldn't just write them off either.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 26 - 27/07/2020 16:25:56    2285477

Link

Knocking on the door?? Surely that applies to the likes of Mayo in football who reached 4 finals and lost each narrowly, including two replays. The Gaels have been in one county final in the past 7-8 years, this in a competition where only 4-5 teams are competitive. They were soundly beaten in last year's semi final, before that they did play well in two semi finals but their performances since then have been below that level. 1-4 from play last Saturday with the goal in the final minute and all four points from a teenager making his championship debut hardly suggests an attack that will win a championship.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 14 - 27/07/2020 16:34:39    2285481

Link

The difference is LLG bring through one good player every few years whereas CTG, Clonkill & Raharney bring through 5/6 good players most years and then they get blooded at junior or intermediate level.

If you know anything about underage hurling in the county it's fairly easy to see what adult clubs will be successful in the next 5-10 years and what clubs will struggle

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1735 - 27/07/2020 19:21:46    2285494

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Knocking on the door?? Surely that applies to the likes of Mayo in football who reached 4 finals and lost each narrowly, including two replays. The Gaels have been in one county final in the past 7-8 years, this in a competition where only 4-5 teams are competitive. They were soundly beaten in last year's semi final, before that they did play well in two semi finals but their performances since then have been below that level. 1-4 from play last Saturday with the goal in the final minute and all four points from a teenager making his championship debut hardly suggests an attack that will win a championship."
All this talk of the Gaels being ahead of Clonkill is plain silly in my opinion. This New Clonkill are horrible to watch but even more horrible to play against. I would say young Williams for all his talent would be kept very quiet By the likes of Dara Egerton. The next match between Clonkill and Pollard is likely to be a teak tough affair. Castletown have the talent to win the championship but Without Niall O Brien even Aonghus Clarke struggled with Clonkills defence.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 768 - 27/07/2020 19:21:58    2285495

Link

Castletown have the nicest hurlers in Westmeath. Excellent flair, skill and vision, along with a lovely brand of hurling. Aonghus Clarke is the best hurler in the county, worth the admission fee alone.
Having said that, Clonkill are hard to beat and have some excellent, streetwise players, while they've an excellent record against Castletown in big games.

Latte (Westmeath) - Posts: 35 - 28/07/2020 11:37:50    2285532

Link

The likes of Egerton or Kelvin Reilly would relish marking Williams from LLG.
I also dont think you can write off Delvin yet either. They have produced some very good young hurlers in the last few years.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 122 - 28/07/2020 12:23:28    2285549

Link

Replying To soreknee:  "The likes of Egerton or Kelvin Reilly would relish marking Williams from LLG.
I also dont think you can write off Delvin yet either. They have produced some very good young hurlers in the last few years."
Williams scored 5 points from play against a better defence than Clonkill's so to say they would relish marking him is abit silly

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 26 - 28/07/2020 13:03:08    2285558

Link

I agree about Delvin though, they have some very good young players

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 26 - 28/07/2020 13:05:10    2285559

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "Williams scored 5 points from play against a better defence than Clonkill's so to say they would relish marking him is abit silly"
it looks like they may meet in the semi final and as they say time will tell.I hope you are proved right but

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 768 - 28/07/2020 13:51:33    2285572

Link

Castletown Clonkill final. Sticking out like a sore thumb

Worst Raharney team I've seen in donkeys and the rest just aren't good enough

Would be a cracking final

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 71 - 28/07/2020 17:07:40    2285604

Link

On a separate note anyone know the exact reason Killian Doyle left the county panel? Massive loss to Raharney and on evidence of last weekend there isn't a lot to replace him on county panel

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 71 - 28/07/2020 17:08:46    2285605

Link

Replying To LockLeanGayl:  "On a separate note anyone know the exact reason Killian Doyle left the county panel? Massive loss to Raharney and on evidence of last weekend there isn't a lot to replace him on county panel"
He is living in London i believe.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 122 - 28/07/2020 17:53:43    2285609

Link

See Derry have set a season pass for streaming at £30 it makes the €30 paid for last weekends fare look even more exorbitant. I wonder if there are discussions ongoing at county board level about the prices after neighbouring counties came out at €5 per game ( Laois & Offaly) or are they going to not review it and live up to their grab all association title.

puglerdaly (Westmeath) - Posts: 63 - 28/07/2020 18:15:48    2285610

Link

No results from yesterday's junior hurling games?
Or do i have to wait until next week's newspaper

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1735 - 29/07/2020 21:10:15    2285763

Link

Replying To valley84:  "No results from yesterday's junior hurling games?
Or do i have to wait until next week's newspaper"
Agreed its poor, Results section non existent. Looks like the Examiner or Topic it Will be.
On the other hand I have friends in Offaly who watched Clonkill vs Raharney admittedly at a tenner compared to the five in Offaly and they say our coverage is much better very very good so swings and roundabouts.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 768 - 30/07/2020 23:51:45    2285914

Link

Some big games this weekend hers a few predictions.
Senior Saturday Castletown despite Malachys and Niall O Brien going to beat Delvin but closer than last year
Sunday Clonkill should beat Pollard who as usual will think they will win but not good enough.
Senior B Friday maybe the most important game of the weekend Brigids can beat the Wood.
Sunday Father Daltons looked good in round 1 and should have too much for Raharney.
Intermediate Ringtown should ensure a semi final and beat Castletown and Saint Oliver Plunketts have a huge game with Clonkill they might just sneak it.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 768 - 10/08/2020 22:37:47    2287183

Link

In Senior A, I expect both Castletown and Clonkill to win this weekend but by narrower margins than people will expect. I think Delvin will give Castletown a good game but will be too inexperienced to cause a shock. I also believe Castlepollard will put up a better showing against Clonkill than Raharney did.
In Senior B, I think Fr Dalton's will edge Raharney and I wouldn't be surprised if Brigids got another draw against the Wood.
In intermediate, you would think Ringtown should beat Castletown, but I'll go for a draw in that game. Plunketts should beat Clonkill in what's a must win game for them now really.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 26 - 11/08/2020 11:42:20    2287212

Link

Clonkill to win intermediate game and senior game
Castletown to win intermediate and senior game
Wood to beat Brigids
Daltons to beat Raharney

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1735 - 12/08/2020 11:05:16    2287327

Link